Malazan Empire: Name Duplication - Malazan Empire

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Name Duplication Nok. Nok. Who's There? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   D'rek 

  • Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators
  • Posts: 12,208
  • Joined: 08-August 07
  • Location::

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:19 PM

Has SE ever made a statement concerning characters with the same name? In particular I'm thinking of the two "Hawl"s (Nok's wife and the sorceress on Drift Avalii). Can we assume that characters with the same name are the same person? If so it raises interesting questions...


(P.S. I think there was another case of name duplicity with Ganoes' captain in Itko Kan and the Fist of Malaz City in BH)
0

#2 User is offline   Illuyankas 

  • Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Posts: 7,254
  • Joined: 28-September 04
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:26 PM

Those two are the same person. Cotillion and Shadowthrone's reaction to her on Drift Avalii confirm that. And all the mentions of Aragan are the same guy. As far as I know, the only cases of someone/thing having the same name as another character are Pearl the demon/Pearl the Claw and Apsalar the Goddess/Apsalar the POV character.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isnít me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like heís me. Look down, back up, where are you? Youíre in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. Whatís in your hand, back at me. I have it, itís an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. Iím on a quorl.
0

#3 User is offline   paladin 

  • House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 1,518
  • Joined: 23-February 07

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:04 PM

The name Not-Apsalar makes me laugh my ass off every time, if not just for the hilariousness of the two "ghosts" or whatever you want to call them
0

#4 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

  • God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor
  • Posts: 4,550
  • Joined: 31-January 06

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:25 AM

skir;204106 said:

Has SE ever made a statement concerning characters with the same name? In particular I'm thinking of the two "Hawl"s (Nok's wife and the sorceress on Drift Avalii). Can we assume that characters with the same name are the same person? If so it raises interesting questions...


As noted above, the two Hawls are the same person. It's not clear if Nok knew his wife was alive all these years. For no reason, I think he did.

Quote

(P.S. I think there was another case of name duplicity with Ganoes' captain in Itko Kan and the Fist of Malaz City in BH)


Not sure what captain you are referring to here. Ganoes' commanding officer during the Hound massacre incident was never named. The Sergeant who recruited Sorry was Aragan, and he has popped up again several times (as a captain in DG, as Malazan ambassador to Coral in MoI, as Fist in BH). But Sergeant Aragan had no link to Ganoes Paran in GotM. The inclusion of Aragan in most books is a running joke by SE, and he's talked about how he would've included Aragan in MT if he'd been able to work out a way to do so.
0

#5 User is offline   D'rek 

  • Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators
  • Posts: 12,208
  • Joined: 08-August 07
  • Location::

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:58 PM

Yep, Aragan was the one I was thinking of. I wonder if we'll ever get an explanation as to why Nok (and probably the whole old guard) pretended Hawl died, and what she's been doing since...
0

#6 User is offline   Kurt Montandon 

  • First Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Posts: 571
  • Joined: 17-May 05
  • Location:California

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:10 AM

Dolorous Menhir;204123 said:

The inclusion of Aragan in most books is a running joke by SE, and he's talked about how he would've included Aragan in MT if he'd been able to work out a way to do so.



He figured out a way in RG, at least.

And I suppose Iron Bars should've mentioned Aragan at some point, or one of the other CGers in MT.
0

#7 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

  • God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor
  • Posts: 4,550
  • Joined: 31-January 06

Posted 16 August 2007 - 05:16 PM

kmmontandon;204930 said:

He figured out a way in RG, at least.

And I suppose Iron Bars should've mentioned Aragan at some point, or one of the other CGers in MT.


They didn't seem to have had any contact with Malazans though, had they? Sure, they knew of the Empire and Emperor Kellanved, but it's a big stretch to go from him to an obscure Malazan soldier.
0

#8 User is offline   Kurt Montandon 

  • First Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Posts: 571
  • Joined: 17-May 05
  • Location:California

Posted 16 August 2007 - 06:24 PM

Dolorous Menhir;204975 said:

They didn't seem to have had any contact with Malazans though, had they? Sure, they knew of the Empire and Emperor Kellanved, but it's a big stretch to go from him to an obscure Malazan soldier.



The Crimson Guard would have had plenty of contact with Malazans, having been kicked out of their homeland by Kellanved's conquest, and having spent probably the better part of a century fighting the Empire in various fields. Maybe Aragan got a spot as a short-term governer of one of the recently conquered Free Cities in Genabackis, and the Crimson Guard was still lurking around ...

Oh, and to whomever submitted this thread: "duplicity" is not just a fancy way of saying "duplication," it has a completely different meaning.
0

#9 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

  • God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor
  • Posts: 4,550
  • Joined: 31-January 06

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:08 PM

kmmontandon;204989 said:

The Crimson Guard would have had plenty of contact with Malazans, having been kicked out of their homeland by Kellanved's conquest, and having spent probably the better part of a century fighting the Empire in various fields. Maybe Aragan got a spot as a short-term governer of one of the recently conquered Free Cities in Genabackis, and the Crimson Guard was still lurking around ...


Ha, you have me there. That was a pretty stupid comment, wasn't it?
0

#10 User is offline   Khellendros 

  • Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Posts: 5,957
  • Joined: 14-August 07

Posted 19 April 2008 - 08:50 PM

As far as name duplication goes, there is also Twist the Moranth and Twist the emperor's flagship :(
0

#11 User is offline   caladanbrood 

  • Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 10,819
  • Joined: 07-January 03
  • Location:Manchester, UK

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:10 PM

Pearl is the main one people tend to notice. The demon in GotM and the Claw.

I like it when things like that crop up. Adds a touch of realism :(
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti tÍde; keimetha tois keinon rhťmasi peithomenoi.
0

#12 User is offline   Cerberus Maw 

  • Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 43
  • Joined: 02-August 08

Posted 02 August 2008 - 05:02 AM

Accidental, but the Keeper of the House in RG, where Kilamandoras (sp) is being kept, is called Knuckles.
Where else is the name Knuckles used?

Spoiler


:p
0

#13 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

  • Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Posts: 5,555
  • Joined: 02-July 06
  • Location:The Emerald City
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 02 August 2008 - 05:38 AM

Kurt Montandon;204989 said:

Oh, and to whomever submitted this thread: "duplicity" is not just a fancy way of saying "duplication," it has a completely different meaning.


http://www.malazanem...77&d=1211021000

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Error: Signature not valid
0

#14 User is offline   tiam 

  • Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars
  • Posts: 3,918
  • Joined: 26-January 06

Posted 07 August 2008 - 05:53 PM

Kurt Montandon;204930 said:

He figured out a way in RG, at least.

And I suppose Iron Bars should've mentioned Aragan at some point, or one of the other CGers in MT.


Were was Aragan in this book
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users