Malazan Empire: The Malazan World Map (RG updating in progress) - Malazan Empire

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Malazan World Map (RG updating in progress)

#101 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:12 AM

Dal Hon is the province making up the south-western tip of the Quon Tali continent.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#102 User is offline   Nequam 

• High Fist

Posted 17 February 2008 - 03:43 PM

Xander;257481 said:

Sounds great Wert.

Hey Nequam...where can I get this Illustrator 4 from? Who makes it?

I think may have meant to say NagromGarvlid. But to my knowledge it has something to do with Adobe, and it should cost money to get. That doesn't mean there aren't ways to 'steal' it of course. ;) I use both photoshop and illustrator in school, they're pretty nifty. ;)

Now, I know Wert has increased Genabackis' size, but I think the idea of angling the continent was missed. If Genabackis was angled south(as in, rotating it counter-clockwise, so it sort-of resembled a 'U'), wouldn't that ease the minds of those people who wonder why the Malazans landed on northern Genabackis instead of southern? If the whole continent was rotated so it resemlbed less of a boot and more of a 'U', what is now the northern tip would be closer to SC, QT, etc.

People must take into consideration ocean curents and prevailing wind directions. Just because something is technically closer does not mean it will be easier/more likely of a place to get to.

#103 User is offline   Nagrom 

• Bard
  • Interests:music, music and Malazan

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:53 PM

Yes 'Adobe' do indeed make both Photoshop and Illustrator, they R currently up2 version CS3 suite. It does cost quite a bit, altho u might B able 2 pick up and earlier version at a discounted rate.

#104 User is offline   Svaran 

• Captain

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:05 AM

Great map - but just a query, in MOI, I think its mentioned that the kallorean empire is half way round the world from the 1st empire, wouldn't that mean that you have Jacuruku and its sister continent to close to the 7 cities sub continent?

#105 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:56 AM

There are enough other references to the current configuration, though I'm certain we could have a quote-war over this, we might run into GoTMisms.

MOD EDIT: No posting about illegal activities on the board, please ~IH
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#106 User is offline   Imperium Corruo 

• Lieutenant

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:17 AM

Thanks and good work guys on these maps, I'm drooling here.

#107 User is offline   JoJo 

• Corporal

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:06 PM

I know this was discussed earlier, but it jars me that the Lether continent has tundra and ice fields just north of the equator. If the Ritual happened hundreds of thousands of years ago and the Jaghut stopped spreading glaciers around shortly thereafter, then climatically it makes no sense for an arctic terrain to be found where I'd expect to see a semi-tropical or tropical area.

Just my 2¢.

#108 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:21 PM

The power of the ritual remained, it was only after four hundred thousand years that the ritual began to fail.

Also I don't think you can use normal earth standards to measure the climate on Wu. Nobody says that the map is completely precise or how the planet orbits the sun.

#109 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:23 PM

Plus Wu is probably Flat....at least that is how it is represented....
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#110 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:35 PM

Vengeance;284943 said:

Plus Wu is probably Flat....at least that is how it is represented....

Nope. The Edur sailed north and east to reach Seven Cities, whilst the Crimson Guard travelled west to Jacuruku and Quon Tali, which wouldn't be possible if the world was flat.

Unless you were taking the mick, since the maps are represented on paper which is, indeed, flat :p

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#111 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:36 PM

Burn isn't flat, what are you talking about Venge?

Apt is right though. We can't expect Burn to follow the exact orbital laws that Earth does. It could be orbiting the sun on a much more tilted axis. Also, the Ritual was kinda powerful, no? Of course it could last that long.

#112 User is offline   JoJo 

• Corporal

Posted 07 April 2008 - 02:08 AM

I withdraw my question. I've just reread MT page 648, where Kettle and Silchas Ruin are discussing the battle between the Tiste Andii and Tiste Edur. Silchas Ruin says:

In a short while, the ice will arrive, sealing all you see. Holding all in stasis, a sorcery of impressive power, so powerful it will prove a barrier to the dead themselves--to the path their spirits would take. I wonder if that was what the Jaghut had intended. In any case, the land was twisted by the magic. The dead...lingered. Here, in the north, and far to the south, as far as Letheras itself. To my mind, an Elder god meddled. But none could have forseen the consequences, not even an Elder god.

So it's possible that the north of the Lether continent is still frozen even after all those years.

Incidently, axial tilt would not effect warming at the equator unless the tilt was close to 90°. If that were true, the entire climate would be so wacko compared to Earth's that it would be noticeable.

#113 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 07 April 2008 - 02:17 AM

Plus, you know, the Huntress still lives up there (in the North)...
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#114 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:00 AM

Maybe Burn is like Uranus, orbiting the sun on it's side :p

You're right though, we'd probably notice if that were the case.

The ritual was mega powerful, obviously. Only now is it starting to end, after hundreds of thousands of years.

#115 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:55 AM

Just to clarify, the world of Burn being a planet is mentioned somewhere in passing, it's not deduction from reading about sea voayages... It would also be slighty weird for a flat moon to be orbiting a flat wu orbiting a flat sun :p

#116 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:58 AM

Running through a flat orbit in a flat galaxy as part of a flat galaxy cluster within a flat universe....but you get the idea :p

#117 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:59 PM

It is Kuru Qan who says so. He says that someone from the FE proved the globe was round by sailing around it. Kuru Qan was using his human-pendulum experiment to prove it theoretically.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#118 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:16 PM

JoJo;284939 said:

I know this was discussed earlier, but it jars me that the Lether continent has tundra and ice fields just north of the equator. If the Ritual happened hundreds of thousands of years ago and the Jaghut stopped spreading glaciers around shortly thereafter...

The point is made in DG that Jaghut rituals fluctuate, they don't just run out.
Elsewhere, GotM i think, someone notes that the rituals could be fast or very very slow.
And we're talking Jaghut, who are basically immortal and some of whom are on power level with gods.

So the same ritual can create a glacier/icefield/snowcone/whatever, allow it to melt over centuries, the abruptly kick it back into existance and wipe out a passing civilization along the way... or just give them a nice frosty treat, depending on scope.

Point being, the rules are whatever SE says they are and he's made it clear this can happen.

- Abyss, more of a Mr. Freezie fan...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#119 User is offline   SonOfDarkness 

• Lord of Moons Spawn
  • Mother Darks Favoured Son

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:53 PM

Thanks for the map

#120 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:51 PM

Another name from the opening to Return of the Crimson Guard: the Bael 'subcontinent'. WTF is that? Greymane's presence suggests it is one of the islands that make up Korel, but Korel itself appears to be a subcontinent which, with Stratem, forms the greater continent of Korelri. A third subcontinent? Confusing. Maybe Bael is a subcontinent of Jacuruku? Hmm.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users