• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Malazan RPG's

#41 User is offline   Tarcanus 

• Lord of the Tarcans
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 November 2007 - 03:17 AM

So, I'm new here, but I'm not new to paper and pencil RPG's. If you're having trouble adapting the Malazan world from D&D or GoT and stuff like that, try Warhammer. I think you'll find that OHKOs are found often in there and they have an entire system already laid out for critical hits(which includes loss of limb, pulverization of bone, etc.) and the magic system is unique in that every spell cast hits - but the caster must pass a willpower check, and if the caster fails, they gain something called an insanity point.

Anyway, let me know if you want to know more. I think Warhammer would be perfect for playing in the Malazan realm.

#42 User is offline   Silander 

• Sergeant

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:47 AM

Ya I've played warhammer before, it's very popular around my area. The doom stones campaign is still one of my favourite RPG experiences. It's a great system but the magic system would still need reworking even though the new edition is pretty good and broken into groups if I remember correctly..?
Most people want to use D&D or Gurps it seems though.

#43 User is offline   twist 

• Recruit

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:25 AM

We have 3 sites and were working on a mod sorry for kick but here ya go

http://www.modcraft....showtopic=12581
The wiki link's on that page.

http://malazangame.i...t.com/index.php
Here's a site with some archives if your not a member.

http://www.modcraft.net/community/index.php?showforum=862

'Hey there have you heard about my robot friend?
He's metal and small and doesn't judge me at all.
He's a cyberwired bundle of joy.
My robot friend.' Butters Stotch

#44 User is offline   Wordmerchant 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Wiki Contributor
  • Interests:Writer, Miniature Painter

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:12 PM

I've been working for the past few months on a Malazan RPG using Chaosium's BRP system. A lot of the race stats and mechanics are done, combat mechanics are worked out. Still trying to come up with a magic system that isn't clunky and awkward. Skills for the game are not done yet, other than the basic skills which I am importing as originally written. None of the setting fluff has been written yet, as that is the last thing I am worried about.

Chaosium is willing to give me a license for the system, but I still will need to go through SE about licensing a Malazan system when I have something tangible to show him.

I still need to make some decisions re: artwork and contract that, and haven't even begun doing any kind of printing layout yet.

At this point, I would consider this project about 30% complete.
Spin Doctor to The Errant. Because nothing says I love you like a little nudge!

#45 User is offline   Myth 

• Recruit

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:35 PM

I'd agree with the Warhammer RPG being a good basis for the setting. I haven't played a game with the rules, but they look very detailed, and the magic system is sensible concerning Erikson's work. Though you don't see too many Mages going insane...the magic within Erikson's world appears quite stable (well...most of it anyway...)

Has anyone played with Iron Heroes rules? They're probably one of my favourites, and are expansive enough to cover the Malazan Empire easily. Non-human races would be somewhat trickier...The major highlight of it for me would be the spellcasting system, as the Arcanist (Mage) actually uses a Mana system and can channel the magic in ways defined somewhat by templates. Ergo, unlike in 3rd edition where you have set spells with names, like Fireball, in Iron Heroes you get to make your own spells.

The Arcanist has to pick a primary school, and later on secondary and tertiary schools. I'd say cut out the secondary and tertiary schools, change the primary school into your Warren/Hold (I don't have the books with me, but I think the coverage of schools is decent). If the need arises, make your Warren/Hold spell templates to customize it further.

For example, Meanas is the Warren of Illusion and Shadow, but some of the spell templates within the Illusion school of magic would probably pertain more to Mockra, Warren of the Mind. Shift some abilities between the two and it'll balance out somewhat. Add in some more mind influencing abilities into Mockra, and then you have yourself a Mage who can tap into the Warren of Mockra.

Potential Spoiler Alert!

It's not too big...but thought I'd warn away people before getting into other forms of magic found in Erikson's works.

Stop reading now!

Okay, fine.

Aside from those who tap into Warrens and Holds (I doubt you'd have too many PCs allowed to tap Holds, I figure they're a completely different story...), you also have more ancient forms of magic which use nearby spirits. I'm thinking of Nil, Nether, and Bottle mainly for this.

In one of the expansion books to Iron Heroes they add the Spiritualist spellcasting class, a very unique person who doesn't use mana or anything to create spells...but essentially absorbs spiritual essence from the things they worship and then the spirits themselves manifest the powers. In addition to this spell casting, they also have a spiritual companion (you might think of it as a Druid's Animal Companion, but far more maleable). Essentially it can be whatever they want, and as they become more powerful their spiritual companion has the ability to grow bigger, smaller, wings, claws, etc... To a degree you could replace this with the ability to command animals, such as Bottle's ability to do so, or leave it as is (though no one comes to mind who has such a malleable companion).

Non-spellcasting classes include the Executioner, a pure Assassin (Kalam), the Thief, a master of deceit and skills (Tehol), the Archer, sharpshooter extraordinaire (Fiddler), the Harrier, a fast moving killer (Cutter and Apsalar, though she'd be part Executioner..), the Man-At-Arms, a jack of all trades warrior (most Malazan infantry), the Weapon Master, who focuses on a single weapon exclusively (several Imass and Seguleh), the Berzerker, an unstoppable monstrosity (Karsa and Icarium), the Armiger, a master of armour and holding the line (Malaz Heavy Infantry), and the Hunter, a master of terrain and command (Paran, Master Sergeant Braven Tooth).

The feat selection is also incredible, but I don't want to go into too much detail. Needless to say, it's a well defined system based off of d20 (and 3rd Ed) for those who don't want to step outside their comfort zone.

My preferred system these days is none though. I highly recommend people just try ad hocing things as they go along, or just roll percentile to see how well the player does. *shrug* It takes the focus off mechanics and more on the action. The groups I've introduced the idea to have loved it. I think it works best on forums, play-by-post style, as the game becomes a communal narrative.

Far better than trying to define (and confine) the world by numbers.

#46 User is offline   Silander 

• Sergeant

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:11 PM

Mad, I thought this thread had been wiped or lost or ome such, some one must have dug it up again eh?

#47 User is offline   Wordmerchant 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Wiki Contributor
  • Interests:Writer, Miniature Painter

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:30 PM

View PostSilander, on Jan 1 2009, 03:11 PM, said:

Mad, I thought this thread had been wiped or lost or ome such, some one must have dug it up again eh?
I blame Brood Twist.
Spin Doctor to The Errant. Because nothing says I love you like a little nudge!

#48 User is offline   redtape 

• Recruit

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:08 PM

Hi all first posting, but one which i have been following for a very long time.

has anyone considered using the Saga System - (Dragonlance 5th Age) as a basis for building the RPG

i have been giving it much thought and i must say that it would fir perfectly .....obviosly there are loads of work that would have to be done to customise it, however it is extremely flexible and from searches on the net i have found that there are even conversions to use dice instead of cards.

just some food for thought...

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users