• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anomander Rake

#1 User is offline   blewin 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 January 2007 - 08:49 AM

Is Anomander Rake going to put in an appearance in RG? I'm starting on my re-read of MT in which Rake's mentioned in the prologue.

#2 User is offline   rlfcl 

• High Fist

Posted 13 January 2007 - 08:54 AM

read the RG prologue...

#3 Guest_LordDragon_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:00 AM

That prologue makes me wonder about some of Rake's actions in the past, particularly at Pale in Garden's of the Moon.

Now he explained that he had to retreat because he couldn't defend an entire moon alone. This may well be true, so he withdrew. But consider the Reaper's Gale Prologue. Rake and an elder god set out alone to clear out a warren. And it was previously mentioned that he has defeated multiple dragons. It makes you wonder if he ever really unleashed his full power in that fight. One of the Malazan characters once remarked that Rake has always fallen back, never truly unleashed the Andii on the Malazan's. This seems in line with Rake's character as well. His power is very tightly controlled, and he is well aware that power tends to draw more power. I doubt he wants to use everything he has for any reason if avoidable.

#4 User is offline   Agraba 

• Emperor

Posted 13 January 2007 - 06:08 PM

Actually, LordDragon, I'd just say that Tayschrenn is the most powerful man to have been around in a really long time, and more of a match for that infested warren, or some old dragons.

#5 User is offline   fan_83 

• First Sword

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:39 PM

lorddragon: rake pulled back to save his home from further damage.. he wasn;t hurt at all..
i would say he wasn;t even tired of even trying..
tays is powerful but not up to rakes standard..

i know that some would argue with me but there was a coupld of old thread where we rehash this over and over

the simplest analogy i know is that rakes power released in undiscriminate spray forced tays to his knees on a hilltop where tays had time to set up wards.. taht tells you about rakes level of power and speculation on what would have happened had rake focused his power on tays

#6 Guest_LordDragon_*

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:17 AM

That was kind of my point, Rake, while fighting the Malazan, has never really tried to destroy them. He just wanted a battle to inspire his people, alleviate their despair, or whatever.

And Agraba, I think that while Tayschrenn has some serious power, he is in no way close to a match for Rake, lol.

#7 User is offline   Bl1nder 

• Fist

Posted 14 January 2007 - 03:21 PM

Perhaps Rake didnt unleash his full power on Tayschren alone, but remember he wanst alone, there were otherhigh mages with him, and tatersail's cadre, and even thought they were fighting among themselves, Tay still did some damage to Moon's Spawn. As Dujek said in MoI " Tayschren really did believe he can bring down Moon's Spawn, and he might ahve succseeded if he wanst trying all by himself". And rake does say to Baruk, that he used "vital" power to destroy a demon Tay released on the fight, so perhaps he was indeed as streched as he said
I have stolen princesses from sleeping barrow kings
I have burned the town of Trebon
I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life
I was expelled from the University at a younger age most people are allowed in
I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during the day
I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make minstrels cry
You may have heard of me....

#8 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 14 January 2007 - 03:36 PM

Gardens of the Moon, on page 77, said:

A'Karonys unleashed gouts of flame from the staff in his hands until Moon's Spawn almost disappeared inside a ball of fire.

Tays wasn't the only one doing damage. There were three other High Mages on that field with him.

#9 User is offline   Father Light 

• Sergeant

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:22 PM

Tayschrenn most certainly wouldnt stand up to anomander in full battle. doubt he'd manage it even with preparation and limited demonic backup

#10 User is offline   Bl1nder 

• Fist

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:22 PM

Dolorous Menhir;151042 said:

Tays wasn't the only one doing damage. There were three other High Mages on that field with him.

Yes but, I cant remember who said it, i think it was Tay himself "Nightchill killed A'karonys, I suppose because he shared his doubts about her with me, but even when I felt she was examining Rake's sword, I only stunned her", Its not exact, but since I dont have the book for refference it has to suffice, what im saying is that they did not concentrate their full effort on Moon's Spawn

#11 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:11 PM

A'Karonys was not attacking Nightchill, he was plainly focusing on assaulting the Spawn. Rather than get into a "who killed who at Pale" discussion here, take it onto this thread if you want:

http://www.malazanempire.com/forums/showth...hlight=reminder

#12 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 14 January 2007 - 10:46 PM

I'm not sure about Rake's power, but if I were you, I wouldn't build any profound
argument on what a person says in any given situation alone -
they might actually be lying. Or not telling the whole truth.
Not that I think any of you have built any profound argument on what a person
says alone. I'm just advocating mindfulness. ;)

ps. Sometimes I don't even trust SE - or rather the author's 'voice' - or rather, I don't think I'm getting the whole picture :D
which, ofcourse is obvious...w/e...I talk too much.
_ In the dark I play the night, like a tune vividly fright_
So light it blows, at lark it goes _
invisible indifferent sight_

#13 Guest_Swordbearer_*

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:22 PM

At Pale Rake had to both attack and defend Moons spawn, he withdrew because without the Pale mages to back him he wasting energy defending a lost cause.
Seems he only unleashes the full power of Kurald Galain when he has no other choice {Black Coral} like LD said he keeps himself tightly reigned in.

Anyhow looking forward to him being reunited with his brother Silchas and finding out about Andarists demise, dont imagine he's going to be too happy about that. Blood is thicker than water.:folken:
I think he's going to be happy to find the Blue Rose peoples, they might put some enthusiasm for life back into his people, as per a cause of their own instead of fighting for someone ellse's.
:outta:

#14 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:38 PM

The notion of Rake bringing his peeps to Leth to defend Bluerose is interesting, especially when they only just settled into Black Coral. Altho' it did seem that Moon's Spawn was carrying non-combatants, so in theory, if he brought others, it might just be his troops and leave the rest in Coral. Or his dragons, for that matter.

Four soletaken andii and Silanah and he doesn't really need much else.

But with the involvement of Ruin, his brother; Scabby, his half-brother; Phaede, Nimander, and his other kids/grandkids; and Sandalath (whose daughter and happens to be one of the soletaken andii and possibly her son too if Orfantal and Korlat were actually related and not just referring to their shared Tiam/draconic blood), Rake's involvement seems likely.

And i still wonder whether the "three bookish warlocks" on Moon's Spawn aren't the same three who fought the Edur in the retreat to Bluerose.

All of whic is to say, the deck (or Deck) seems stacked pretty high to favour Rake getting involved.

- Abyss, frankly, thinks Wolverine would hand Rake and Tays BOTH their a$$es. ;)
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#15 User is offline   Bl1nder 

• Fist

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:20 PM

Kinda forgot that Rake's whelps are getting involved too, gonna be quite interesting ;)

#16 User is offline   sundaymonkey 

• Recruit

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:33 PM

Well, given that the CG-controlled Emperor of the same Tiste Edur who once tried to wipe out the Andii has issued an open invitation for anyone with a reputation to come and take him on mano-e-mano, I can think of one place Anomander Rake and his big, black weapon are bound to head for sooner or later.

Then again, since Dragnipur currently hosts more fallen gods and monsters than your average Azath House, as well as the Chaos-pursued Warren of Darkness itself (that is what's being carried on the wagon, isn't it?), killing Rhulad with it might well be a mistake of cataclysmic proportions. Given the nature of Rhulad's immortality, there'd be a serious tug-of-war over possession of his soul.

Rake being Rake, however, he's bound to figure that out. The question is, does he think Dragnipur would be able to swallow Rhulad without opening itself to the CG's influence? Hopefully, RG will give us some answers.

#17 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:39 PM

And moreover, is Rake killing Rhulad exactly what the CG is WANTING to happen.

- Abyss, mwa hah ha.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#18 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:42 PM

That's a good point - I said this on the subject a few months ago:

One theory I like, is that this has all been a very long plan by the CG to get his man (Rhulad) inside Dragnipur so he can do...whatever. He created someone who can presumably only be finally slain by Dragnipur, and then once he has influence inside via Rhulad who knows what he will do.

Would Rhulad resurrect inside Dragnipur?

Would he still have his sword inside? (everyone else must lose their weapons, most of them must've fallen in battle yet they are not armed in Dragnipur if I remember correctly. But Rhulad can't lose his sword short of physically loses his hand)

Sound like a viable storyline? Can't decide if I like it or not.

I think it's the gate to Kurald Galain that is within Dragnipur, rather than the warren itself. Though I'm not actually sure of that just now.

#19 User is offline   sundaymonkey 

• Recruit

Posted 15 January 2007 - 07:26 PM

[QUOTE=Abyss;151309]And moreover, is Rake killing Rhulad exactly what the CG is WANTING to happen.

That's what I thought, and given that he chose to make the Edur such an Anomanderphobic threat in the first place, it certainly looks like the CG wants to goad Rake into having to use Dragnipur.

Which makes me wonder if Rake will risk laying the sword aside when he takes on Rhulad. Even without Dragnipur, he was one of the most powerful Ascendants around. Hell, he can just veer into dragon form and eat him. But then Rhulad's body would be trying to resurrect from inside Kurald Galain - not a good idea.

Rake's a bit f*#$3d on this one, isn't he?

#20 User is offline   sundaymonkey 

• Recruit

Posted 15 January 2007 - 07:34 PM

Dolorous Menhir;151311 said:

I think it's the gate to Kurald Galain that is within Dragnipur, rather than the warren itself. Though I'm not actually sure of that just now.

I was a bit iffy on that as well. I seem to recall from Paran's commentary that what was being carried around inside Dragnipur was something along the lines of the ultimate gateway right to the Mother of Darkness, the pure pre-anything else source of everything that was splintered when Darkness mated with Light and produced the various Kurald warrens.

Didn't Draconus create Dragnipur specifically to help this gateway keep away from the Chaos that is pursuing it? It wasn't a complete solution, but as a stopgap it was so vital that he was even willing to get killed by it.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users