• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

When your team lets you down

#1 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:29 AM

I'm watching the national championship game for college football right now, and my Buckeyes are getting humiliated. I knew they might lose this game, but they're going out like a bunch of bitches. It looks like they don't even deserve to be on the field. They were favored to win it too. Is there anything more depressing then watching your favorite team, regardless of the sport, go out and blow a big game like fools?
Error: Signature not valid

#2 User is offline   Folken 

• Never throw your life away so easily
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:34 AM

Well my team let me (and a few 1,000,000 other fans) down when Schumacher's engine blew up at Japan 2006...but...we couldn't even get mad cause it was the first time that happened in over 5 years *sigh* sad days...if only BAD were still around to share in my pain*tears*
<div align='center'>You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are - Juan Manuel Fangio</div>

#3 Guest_potsherds_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:44 AM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;149581 said:

I'm watching the national championship game for college football right now, and my Buckeyes are getting humiliated. I knew they might lose this game, but they're going out like a bunch of bitches. It looks like they don't even deserve to be on the field. They were favored to win it too. Is there anything more depressing then watching your favorite team, regardless of the sport, go out and blow a big game like fools?

I LIVE here Ray. I'm not watching the game, since I don't own a TV, and, except for the Michigan game, I really dislike football, but the ESPN live updates are bringing me to tears. We're doing terribly. I was sure we were going to win.

#4 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:07 AM

It's a bummer when a favoured team loses but it doesn't really bother me. There's always next year.

Hell, I'm a Chicago Cubs fan. They haven't won the World Series since 1908.

1908!

#5 User is offline   Wiggles 

• First Sword

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:31 AM

your team is getting ROCKKKKKKKKKED BITCHESSSSSSSSSSS

GOOOO GATORS!

*cackles*

40-14 now RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAHAHAAAAAAA

#6 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 09 January 2007 - 05:01 AM

It could be worse: you could all be English. ;)

Although I do admit last years' second half surrender by the Bulldogs to the Boncos in the semi-final of the NRL did irk me somewhat. Never mind the State of Origin ... :D

Cheers,

La Sombra, 5-0
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7 Guest_potsherds_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 09 January 2007 - 05:02 AM

*cries* We lost, lost so bad.

EDIT: Sombra, I feel better already. Thanks! ;)

#8 User is offline   rlfcl 

• High Fist

Posted 09 January 2007 - 05:35 AM

January, 2004. World Junior Hockey Championships. Canada vs. USA. Gold Medal game. Tied 2-2 in the third period. Canadian goalie shoots the puck off his own player and back into the net. Canada loses.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

im sorry for your loss ;)

#9 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 09 January 2007 - 08:07 AM

God, what an ass-kicking. It was making me feel sick, so I went to Olive Garden. The nice thing about being Ohio State is, no matter what happens for the entire year, if we beat Michigan it's a successful season. We overperformed just getting to the championship game. No one expected that to even happen at the beginning of the season.

#10 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:20 AM

Watching England at anything is a perpetual let down. And watching Arsenal dominate the league a few years back then throw away a ridiculous lead to lose it to Man U right at the end. Also remember an inredibly annoying game where Spurs, our hated local rivals, were winning 3-0 at half-time against Man U, and we were winning also, which would have given us the title. The Spurs players went in for the break, found out the scores, came out and propmtly collapsed from dominating the game to being whipped 5-3. Convenient, eh?

#11 User is offline   Zale 

• Corporal

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:28 AM

Hang on; we DID win the Ashes last time around (God knows how), and we won the Rugby World Cup a few years back as well. Sometimes England do throw a nice surprise our way ;)

Apart from that though, the only thing worse than watching your team being whipped is BEING IN the team that's being whipped. Ouch.

#12 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 09 January 2007 - 01:10 PM

RodeoRanch said:

Hell, I'm a Chicago Cubs fan. They haven't won the World Series since 1908.

1908!

Hey man, I'm sorry. I really am. You have my condolences...
Angels last won it in 2007... ;) Or at least I hope they do...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#13 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 09 January 2007 - 01:12 PM

Sombra said:

La Sombra, 5-0

If I enjoyed the most boring sport in the world in anyway whatsoever, I would rise to that... ;)

Well, second most boring, after curling. Which incidentally was the only thing a British team was good at. Then we failed at that too...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#14 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 January 2007 - 01:18 PM

If you understand the complexities of cricket, it's not boring. ;)

So we lost the Twenty20 as well...let's just hope we can regain some national pride by beating up on New Zealand (which will be a tough ask).

England does have a tendency for being let down - we believe our media's hype too much. We have a tradition of it in Football, Rugby, Cricket and Tennis to name a few...COME ON TIM! :D

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#15 User is offline   Falco 

• First Sword

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:59 PM

Ohh god the Twenty20 was fun. Never get tired of watching England get disembowelled. And Cam White, he's a bloody awesome and local to boot.

#16 User is offline   GardenGnome 

• Emperor

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:02 PM

Tiste! Curling is awesome!

#17 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:10 PM

You wanna talk depressing finishes, witness the closing minutes of the Dallas Cowboys' playoff game. Romo's botched hold on the field goal was a new level of choke.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#18 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderatio

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:20 PM

You want disappointment, I'll tell you about disappointment...

Up until my early 30s the West Indies hadn't lost a Test Series to England in my lifetime. Now, despite the presence in their team of the Cricketing God that is Brian Lara, they are one of the worst of the major cricketing nations. I remember the glory days of the 70s and 80s and early 90s when they were continually dropping a vat of whup ass on the world's other cricket teams.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#19 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:22 PM

stone monkey;149746 said:

You want disappointment, I'll tell you about disappointment...

Up until my early 30s the West Indies hadn't lost a Test Series to England in my lifetime. Now, despite the presence in their team of the Cricketing God that is Brian Lara, they are one of the worst of the major cricketing nations. I remember the glory days of the 70s and 80s and early 90s when they were continually dropping a vat of whup ass on the world's other cricket teams.

They're making an ODI comeback at the moment though, thanks to the awesome talent that is Chris Gayle. When he fires, West Indies do well. A bit like Jayasuriya and Sri Lanka, really.

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#20 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 09 January 2007 - 06:59 PM

longhorn;149739 said:

You wanna talk depressing finishes, witness the closing minutes of the Dallas Cowboys' playoff game. Romo's botched hold on the field goal was a new level of choke.

That would have been horrible to watch happen if it had been any team BUT the Cowboys. I feel bad for Romo, I like the guy, but that's what he gets for playing in Dallas. I wish the Cowboys ill every time they take the field, so I was quite happy to see that happen. Plus I live in Seattle now. For a Cowboys fan though, I can understand how painful that was to watch.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users