Malazan Empire: The Comics Thread! - Malazan Empire

• 118 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Comics Thread! SLAM! WHAM! KA-BOOM! KER-SPLODE!!!

#2021 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 April 2020 - 05:27 PM

View PostHammerhead88, on 21 April 2020 - 12:57 PM, said:

Image currently giving away a load (around 150) of 1st issues.

link to the list on reddit: https://www.reddit.c...tm_source=share

Looks like Dynamite has done the same with a lot of theirs (not as many as Image.) And Valiant has some, too, though theirs might not be a special sale, just usual freebies.

Comixology's full list of free comics is below. Most of the Image/Dynamite stuff is in the bottom "More Free Comics" section (which might contain all of Comixology's freebies, though I'm not 100% on that.)

https://www.comixolo...omics?list34010

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 21 April 2020 - 05:28 PM

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#2022 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 April 2020 - 04:37 AM

Just had a twitter exchange w Kurt Busiek about mutual love for old Legion of Super Heroes comics.

Nerdgasm so hard right now.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#2023 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 05 May 2020 - 03:23 AM

Warren Ellis' weekly email drops that he had a deal lined up to write / produce his own line of comics, but due to COVID'S present decimation of the publishing industry, the deal is dead, so fuck 2020 yet again.

Meanwhile a deep dive into Marvel Unlimited drew me to the late 200-early 300s of the original series. Basically from where the Masters of Evil took the mansion through Nebula breaking the team, Inferno, and Cap reforming the team. Those were some good stories.
... Dr Druid and Gilgamesh were such losers tho'.

Btw, the latest Humble Bundle is essentially the entirety of THE WALKING DEAD to date. For $25.

#2024 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 12 May 2020 - 09:41 PM

Comixology has a sale on the entire 2015 Marvel Secret Wars crossover event, and the titular omnibus is FREE: https://www.comixolo...al-comic/339426
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#2025 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 May 2020 - 05:14 PM

Considering the fairly shite time Neil Gaman has been having lately, the emergence of this....

https://www.audible....dible-original/

... on audible for pre-order....hitting in July, is pretty amazing / awesome.

I'm psyched, the cast is stupid talented. Am surprised the run time is just under 11hrs, but this may be a less is more type thing.

Blurb....

Please note: This content is not for kids. It is for mature audiences only. Just like the original graphic novels, this audio adaptation contains explicit language and graphic violence, as well as strong sexual content and themes. Discretion is advised.

Hailed by the Los Angeles Times Magazine as "the greatest epic in the history of comic books," The Sandman changed the game with its dark, literary world of fantasy and horror—creating a global, cultural phenomenon in the process. At long last, Audible and DC present the first-ever audio production of The New York Times best-selling series written by acclaimed storyteller Neil Gaiman (who also serves as co-executive producer). Adapted and directed by multi-award-winner (and frequent Gaiman collaborator) Dirk Maggs, and performed by an ensemble cast with James McAvoy (It, Parts one and two, X-Men: First Class, Split) in the title role, this first installment of a multi-part original audio series will transport you to a world that re-writes the rules of audio entertainment the way that The Sandman originally re-defined the graphic novel.

When The Sandman, also known as Lord Morpheus—the immortal king of dreams, stories and the imagination—is pulled from his realm and imprisoned on Earth by a nefarious cult, he languishes for decades before finally escaping. Once free, he must retrieve the three "tools" that will restore his power and help him to rebuild his dominion, which has deteriorated in his absence. As the multi-threaded story unspools, The Sandman descends into Hell to confront Lucifer (Michael Sheen), chases rogue nightmares who have escaped his realm, and crosses paths with an array of characters from DC comic books, ancient myths, and real-world history, including: Inmates of Gotham City's Arkham Asylum, Doctor Destiny, the muse Calliope, the three Fates, William Shakespeare (Arthur Darvill), and many more.

A powerhouse supporting cast helps translate this masterwork into a sonic experience worthy of its legacy, including Riz Ahmed, Kat Dennings, Taron Egerton, Samantha Morton, Bebe Neuwirth, Andy Serkis, and more. Setting the stage for their performance is an unprecedented cinematic soundscape featuring an original musical score by British Academy Award winner James Hannigan. Fans will especially revel in a new twist for the audio adaptation: Neil Gaiman himself serves as the narrator. Follow him as he leads listeners along a winding path of myths, imagination and, often, terror. Even in your wildest dreams, you’ve never heard anything like this.

This first installment of the audio series The Sandman adapts volumes 1-3 of the graphic novel series (Preludes & Nocturnes, The Doll’s House, and Dream Country).
Estimated run time: 10hrs 50mins

#2026 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 13 May 2020 - 05:59 PM

Would not have thought Sandman would make a good audiobook but I'd be willing to give it a try!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2027 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 13 May 2020 - 06:21 PM

I'd seen they were breaking up but I hadn't realised just how publicly petty they'd gotten, fuck me.

Got to be said that applies to him as well as her.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#2028 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 May 2020 - 07:19 PM

Who are they?

#2029 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 13 May 2020 - 07:25 PM

Kat Denning as Death....wow, say no more. I'm in!

But yeah, that cast is BADASS! I'm getting this.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2030 User is offline   Hammerhead88 

• Sergeant

Posted 13 May 2020 - 07:28 PM

The entirety of locke and key (plus some other stuff) on humble bundle for £12.

#2031 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 May 2020 - 07:44 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 13 May 2020 - 06:21 PM, said:

I'd seen they were breaking up but I hadn't realised just how publicly petty they'd gotten, fuck me.

Got to be said that applies to him as well as her.

Here's the problem, they were never suited to one another. EVER.

If you asked me who the women in this world who were destined to be permanently single/serial daters and nothing more...I'd have Amanda Palmer near the top of that list. Not a slight on her mind you (she can live how she likes), just a comment on her personality and way of life and personality. As far as I heard they had an open relationship (was that him or her suggesting that?).... Neil on the other hand is a homebody, a whimsy-driven writer who's previous partner (and mother of his initial 3 children, Mary) was as typical mid-western as the day is long...but also a scientologist (no idea if she's still practicing)...so Amanda was 100% Gaiman stepping outside of his own life, and dating one of the characters he's created (at least that's how it read to me). They could not stand living together on the daily, and agreed to just live their hectic lives to alleviate the pressure of it communicating by text and email and twitter (Dafuq?)...and sex was their main communication tool (dafuq?)...then they have their kid (Ash) and Palmer asks for them to cool the open relationship (no idea if this happened)...and then a few years later Gaiman leaves during lockdown from NZ and goes to England and they announce "rough times" but Gaiman asks for privacy.... Then they both write long blog posts about the whole breakup...Palmer starting it, which triggered Gaiman to. And Gaiman;s GoodReads account said he was reading a self help divorce book about splitting from someone with narcissistic personality disorder...he claims he was hacked...but you know what...I buy it?

Bottom line. I've always thought she's basically Delirium from Sandman...like straight loopy and I would put good goddamned money on her having mental health issues (whether that's NPD or BPD, or even straight BiPolar). This doesn't absolve Gaiman of anything either if he's being petty too...I imagine he's set in his ways and has had his share of issues....but yeah, these two were 100% DOOMED from the start man. I'm truly surprised it took this long for the relationship to implode...and I feel REALLY bad for that kid cause this is going to get messy.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2032 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 13 May 2020 - 07:53 PM

But man that kids going to be creative.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2033 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 13 May 2020 - 08:21 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 May 2020 - 07:44 PM, said:

Bottom line. I've always thought she's basically Delirium from Sandman...like straight loopy and I would put good goddamned money on her having mental health issues (whether that's NPD or BPD, or even straight BiPolar). This doesn't absolve Gaiman of anything either if he's being petty too...I imagine he's set in his ways and has had his share of issues....but yeah, these two were 100% DOOMED from the start man. I'm truly surprised it took this long for the relationship to implode...and I feel REALLY bad for that kid cause this is going to get messy.

I have little doubt that she's the instigator of the two (though I wouldnt compare her to Delirium since I like Delirium, and the initial reason I always thought their relationship was odd was that even if he's not a perfect person, his response to getting things wrong and being called out is usually quite thoughtful and respectful to the critic, whereas she is the queen of doubling down even when the thing she is doubling down on is for example using the n-word repeatedly) but the goodreads thing is a terrible look (and he might have been hacked but 'cmon, that is the most cliche excuse these days) and whatever the reasons for it him leaving his son on the other side of the world during a quarantine when he will not be able to get back to him for the forseeable future is a terrible look.

Obviously we can't speculate too much because, well, we don't know them, but I don't think he's gonna come out of this clean.

#2034 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 May 2020 - 03:36 AM

He took a lot of flack over a misstatement about HP Lovecraft's racism too.
Meant to say HP, paraphrasing, 'wasnt just racist, was also afraid' but it came out 'wasnt racist, was afraid' and all kinds of social media lunacy followed even after he corrected and apologized.

The Amanda Palmer thing... yeah. Mess.

#2035 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 May 2020 - 12:15 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 13 May 2020 - 08:21 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 May 2020 - 07:44 PM, said:

I have little doubt that she's the instigator of the two (though I wouldnt compare her to Delirium since I like Delirium, and the initial reason I always thought their relationship was odd was that even if he's not a perfect person, his response to getting things wrong and being called out is usually quite thoughtful and respectful to the critic, whereas she is the queen of doubling down even when the thing she is doubling down on is for example using the n-word repeatedly) but the goodreads thing is a terrible look (and he might have been hacked but 'cmon, that is the most cliche excuse these days) and whatever the reasons for it him leaving his son on the other side of the world during a quarantine when he will not be able to get back to him for the forseeable future is a terrible look.

Obviously we can't speculate too much because, well, we don't know them, but I don't think he's gonna come out of this clean.

I did a deeper dive on this last night, and discovered some things.

1. The GoodReads update is likely not a hack...as someone else noted, he only recently began using his GoodReads acct. again about 2 weeks back. Good Reads acct's are now autolinked to Amazon accounts, so what may have happened is he was reading the book off amazon, and it autoupdated the status to Goodreads, and he didn't realize. Then ran damage control when it seemed like a petty look.

2. As someone who enjoyed some of her music (and had seen her in concert), I had absolutely no idea how much people in her early career and life orbit HATE Amanda Palmer. Like in Boston amounts the theatre kids she grew up around and went to school with, she's considered insufferable. To the people of Boston "society" on her level of famous, also find her insufferable.

3. Is it a bad look for Gaiman to leave his wife and 4-year old kid in NZ during a pandemic as he bolts to the UK? Yes. But consider the possible particulars, if his wife does fall into the mental health spectrum...imagine trying to take your son from someone who is already hanging on by threads...add in a pandemic and it's a recipe for way worse shit. So Gaiman (obvs deciding he could not be around her anymore) made the only viable choice, leave his son with her and go. And let's be frank, the legal system is tailored to lean in favor of the mother anyways, so he cut his losses and went. I also hate the "he left his child on the other side of the world!" notion....if he and Amanda were having insurmountable problems in their marriage that came to a head on pandemic...then staying in that situation was only going to traumatize Ash further (as the child of a broken marriage, I can confirm that the two weeks where my parents tried to stay together to "make it work"...were horrible, and made things infinitely worse). So Gaiman didn't do anything wrong in my view, as the only other option would be to take Ash from Amanda....and what's a worse look, leaving without him, or taking him from his mother? They are both bad looks, but one is a footnote in a story of their breakup, and the other would be major headlines of a father stealing his child from their mother.

4. The fact that she only released the "reasons" behind the split on her patreon at the $20 level is sick. She's literally monetizing her separation/marital problems. That's fucked up. But according to my friend who used to be a BIG fan of hers....he used to pay for her Patreon and he said he bailed out when he got tired of the random shit she was releasing each month and asking people to pay for. So this is par for the course. Recall this is the woman who refused to pay musicians she had asked to participate in her shows for a whole tour. Then doubled down on her reasons.

5. It seems like Gaiman tried to keep this all private between them...but Amanda being Amanda decided to air it in public...so Gaiman was quasi-forced to as well. This is just who she is. She was never going to keep quiet about it.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 14 May 2020 - 12:18 PM

#2036 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 May 2020 - 01:54 PM

All accurate w one further point.
I dont fall the trap of thinking every published author is a gazillionaire, but this is Neil Gaiman. He could afford a place to stay in NZ while putting some space between him and Palmer.

#2037 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 May 2020 - 02:17 PM

View PostAbyss, on 14 May 2020 - 01:54 PM, said:

All accurate w one further point.
I dont fall the trap of thinking every published author is a gazillionaire, but this is Neil Gaiman. He could afford a place to stay in NZ while putting some space between him and Palmer.

Yep. 100% agreed. The fact that he had to leave the country...speaks about things being bad enough that he knew he would be not comfortable in NZ while she was there....imagine having to move continents to get away from your ex.

#2038 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 14 May 2020 - 05:45 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 May 2020 - 12:15 PM, said:

3. Is it a bad look for Gaiman to leave his wife and 4-year old kid in NZ during a pandemic as he bolts to the UK? Yes. But consider the possible particulars, if his wife does fall into the mental health spectrum...imagine trying to take your son from someone who is already hanging on by threads...add in a pandemic and it's a recipe for way worse shit. So Gaiman (obvs deciding he could not be around her anymore) made the only viable choice, leave his son with her and go. And let's be frank, the legal system is tailored to lean in favor of the mother anyways, so he cut his losses and went. I also hate the "he left his child on the other side of the world!" notion....if he and Amanda were having insurmountable problems in their marriage that came to a head on pandemic...then staying in that situation was only going to traumatize Ash further (as the child of a broken marriage, I can confirm that the two weeks where my parents tried to stay together to "make it work"...were horrible, and made things infinitely worse). So Gaiman didn't do anything wrong in my view, as the only other option would be to take Ash from Amanda....and what's a worse look, leaving without him, or taking him from his mother? They are both bad looks, but one is a footnote in a story of their breakup, and the other would be major headlines of a father stealing his child from their mother.

I agree with all of this, actually, I've got several cousins and that who were hurt long-term by their parents' isnistence on staying together for 'them' so I'm fully with you on that. My main thought is, like Abyss, that he could surely have, at least temporarily, found a way to stay in New Zealand. It's entirely possible (even probable) that he was not thinking straight of course, and maybe it was in some way not possible. But now Palmer has to look after a child full-time at home on her own and has no idea when that will change. As much as I find her not just unlikable but genuinely worrying, that's not gonna help whatever mental state she's in at all. And Ash doesn't get any respite from mum either, which with her apparently being who she is, he might also need.

I don't really roll with the 'she's so bad he had to leave the country' thing. Like, yeah, quite possibly she was. But a breakup with a kid means you have to accept you're still gonna have contact with someone even if they make you desperately uncomfortable. Unless there was genuinely no option other than 'stay in the house' or 'leave to England' I think it was a mistake.

Like don't get me wrong he's going to have to go some to not be the good guy in this story- like I said to some mates I was chatting this over with, Palmer is arch-enemies with the Daily Mail and if you asked me to side with one or the other I genuinely don't know which way I'd go- but that doesn't make him exempt from getting it wrong.

#2039 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 May 2020 - 07:28 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 14 May 2020 - 05:45 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 May 2020 - 12:15 PM, said:

I agree with all of this, actually, I've got several cousins and that who were hurt long-term by their parents' isnistence on staying together for 'them' so I'm fully with you on that. My main thought is, like Abyss, that he could surely have, at least temporarily, found a way to stay in New Zealand. It's entirely possible (even probable) that he was not thinking straight of course, and maybe it was in some way not possible. But now Palmer has to look after a child full-time at home on her own and has no idea when that will change. As much as I find her not just unlikable but genuinely worrying, that's not gonna help whatever mental state she's in at all. And Ash doesn't get any respite from mum either, which with her apparently being who she is, he might also need.

I don't really roll with the 'she's so bad he had to leave the country' thing. Like, yeah, quite possibly she was. But a breakup with a kid means you have to accept you're still gonna have contact with someone even if they make you desperately uncomfortable. Unless there was genuinely no option other than 'stay in the house' or 'leave to England' I think it was a mistake.

Like don't get me wrong he's going to have to go some to not be the good guy in this story- like I said to some mates I was chatting this over with, Palmer is arch-enemies with the Daily Mail and if you asked me to side with one or the other I genuinely don't know which way I'd go- but that doesn't make him exempt from getting it wrong.

I would agree with you, were it not a pandemic. As it stands, if he separates from them for any period of time, he immediately then either needs a COVID test to go see them, or a full 14 days of self-isolation to make sure he's not endangering either of them, and that would subsequently happen every time he sees them.

We also have zero idea what the "thing" was that supposedly "came to light" that caused the rift to sever this badly...

Funnily enough, I have a friend whose husband (about a month or two before the pandemic) was diagnosed as bipolar, and refused to be medicated. They have two kids, and she's the sweetest person ever (like a better mom you will not find). She says that visitation during COVID is an utter nightmare that is only exacerbated by his unmedicated condition. IF Palmer is NPD, then they are very traditional averse to meds because the disease causes them to not see anything wrong with themselves...that's an added aspect of this.

The bottom line is we probably don't know and will never know the full extent of the decisions.

But I won't defend Gaiman further than having life experience knowing that press staying together for the kids is fucking horrid and dumb.

#2040 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 15 May 2020 - 06:08 AM

Not so much staying together as staying on the same side of the world.
He's posted some journal updates, more or less 'it's my fault, I hurt her, we need time apart, no we're not divorcing'.

Share this topic:

• 118 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users