Malazan Empire: The Comics Thread! - Malazan Empire

• 117 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Comics Thread! SLAM! WHAM! KA-BOOM! KER-SPLODE!!!

#1921 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 03 March 2019 - 01:46 PM

I think the difference rests in that I don't view someone who is nice to fans and publicly/professionally detrimental to women/people of color on his panels and in the industry as a candidate for "nicest guy".
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#1922 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 March 2019 - 11:03 AM

And I’m just saying the context for my statement is when I met the guy 15 years ago. Shrug, Im not sure what you are looking for from me here.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1923 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 March 2019 - 12:30 PM

It all makes more sense when you read FABLES backwards and realize it’s THE DARK KNIGHT STRIKES BACK.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#1924 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 24 March 2019 - 01:34 PM

I'm sure most of you know this, but for those who don't, Hickman is back at Marvel writing the X-Men. Really looking forward to this.

https://www.cbr.com/...-x-powers-of-x/

This post has been edited by T77: 24 March 2019 - 01:34 PM

#1925 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:13 PM

View PostT77, on 24 March 2019 - 01:34 PM, said:

I'm sure most of you know this, but for those who don't, Hickman is back at Marvel writing the X-Men. Really looking forward to this.

https://www.cbr.com/...-x-powers-of-x/

I was initially psyched but the format, two alternating 6 issue LS', just reminds me of some of the lamer x-crossovers of recent.

Hickman does his best work with a long run... i'm thinking this doesn't play to his strengths.

#1926 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 25 March 2019 - 06:29 PM

I wonder if it's a coincidence that a big new X-Men relaunch after a while sort of trying to shunt them in favour of the Inhumans is announced just days after final confirmation of the Disney/Fox deal that will give Marvel control of the X-Men movies.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#1927 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 25 March 2019 - 06:30 PM

Just give me a single ongoing X-Men title that lasts longer than 2-1/2 years and doesn't require reading two other titles to keep up with, please.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#1928 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 26 March 2019 - 12:26 AM

View Postpolishgenius, on 25 March 2019 - 06:29 PM, said:

I wonder if it's a coincidence that a big new X-Men relaunch after a while sort of trying to shunt them in favour of the Inhumans is announced just days after final confirmation of the Disney/Fox deal that will give Marvel control of the X-Men movies.

It is wholly uncoincidental.In fact, it is deliberate as hell.

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 25 March 2019 - 06:30 PM, said:

Just give me a single ongoing X-Men title that lasts longer than 2-1/2 years and doesn't require reading two other titles to keep up with, please.

Nope.#1s sell and new series’ always get an uptick in hard sales. This is the new floppy xcomic reality. Just accept it.

#1929 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 26 March 2019 - 01:50 AM

View PostAbyss, on 26 March 2019 - 12:26 AM, said:

Nope.#1s sell and new series’ always get an uptick in hard sales. This is the new floppy xcomic reality. Just accept it.

I don't really care about the new reality. I'm not going bother following a monthly series if it's just going to get rebooted at issue #20. I'll buy the collections on sale at Comixology a couple years down the road, thanks.

As someone who basically just binged the last 7-8 years of X-Men comics in the past 18 months, this is such a weird conspiracy theory to me. Just going by the X-titles alone, I really don't see it. Was Marvel pushing the Inhumans too hard? Maybe. But the only thing I thought the X-books suffered from was the aforementioned reboot-itis. (And heck, the volume of Uncanny Inhumans that I did read was pretty darn good.) And it's not as if wiping out the mutants isn't something Marvel already does every 10 years or so.

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 26 March 2019 - 01:51 AM

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#1930 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 26 March 2019 - 02:19 AM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 26 March 2019 - 01:50 AM, said:

Nope.#1s sell and new series' always get an uptick in hard sales. This is the new floppy xcomic reality. Just accept it.

I don't really care about the new reality. I'm not going bother following a monthly series if it's just going to get rebooted at issue #20. I'll buy the collections on sale at Comixology a couple years down the road, thanks.

As someone who basically just binged the last 7-8 years of X-Men comics in the past 18 months, this is such a weird conspiracy theory to me. Just going by the X-titles alone, I really don't see it. Was Marvel pushing the Inhumans too hard? Maybe. But the only thing I thought the X-books suffered from was the aforementioned reboot-itis. (And heck, the volume of Uncanny Inhumans that I did read was pretty darn good.) And it's not as if wiping out the mutants isn't something Marvel already does every 10 years or so.

They put a bunch of b and c list art n author teams on the xbooks, and tried really hard to sell the Inhumans as a big thing. It failed, other than giving the world Kamala Khan.X fandom was too entrenched to be swayed.

#1931 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 26 March 2019 - 11:17 PM

View PostAbyss, on 26 March 2019 - 02:19 AM, said:

They put a bunch of b and c list art n author teams on the xbooks, and tried really hard to sell the Inhumans as a big thing. It failed, other than giving the world Kamala Khan.X fandom was too entrenched to be swayed.

Yeah not to mention it was the Inhumans being included in major events from the ones I saw, more than X-Men which obviously used to be the case.

A quick google suggests that they started to reverse this trend in 2017 with something risibly titled ResurrXion, but doing this, harking back to the most significant X-Event of the last twenty years, and bringing Hickman in for it, still feels like a pretty obvious ploy.

(p.s. it is fucking weird to me that it will be (significantly) longer between House of M and this than it was between Age of Apocalypse and House of M).

#1932 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 28 March 2019 - 02:38 AM

And that’s not even as fncked as what they tried to do w the FF. Ending the books was one thing, but at one point they were rereleasing tpbs and removing them from the covers and blurbs.

#1933 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 28 March 2019 - 12:46 PM

View PostAbyss, on 28 March 2019 - 02:38 AM, said:

And that’s not even as fncked as what they tried to do w the FF. Ending the books was one thing, but at one point they were rereleasing tpbs and removing them from the covers and blurbs.

All of that....every one of those shitty decisions was because of one SUPER shitty, sexist, Florida-Retirement community-based old rich white GOP dude named Ike Perlmutter, and all because he and Kevin Feige didn't get along because Fiege is a HUGE success and Perlmutter has been on the wane for like 20 years now. So his irrelevant ass kept making these stupid and petty decisions. Luckily, SOMEONE higher up is now gainsaying him (I think it's Bob Iger because Disney+ streaming is taking control of the TV wing which was always Perlmutter's purview before this and I think the comics need to fall in lockstep with that).

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 28 March 2019 - 12:46 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1934 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 28 March 2019 - 04:52 PM

Humble is doing another Transformers bundle. If you've purchased a past bundle, as I have, someone on Reddit pointed out that you probably have all of the $1 tier, half of the $8 tier and not much of the $15 tier. I also checked Hoopla and it doesn't have as much as what's in this bundle. I've read a few volumes already and was just thinking of picking it up again, so I am in for the full bundle.

#1935 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 28 March 2019 - 05:58 PM

View PostT77, on 28 March 2019 - 04:52 PM, said:

Humble is doing another Transformers bundle. If you've purchased a past bundle, as I have, someone on Reddit pointed out that you probably have all of the $1 tier, half of the $8 tier and not much of the $15 tier. I also checked Hoopla and it doesn't have as much as what's in this bundle. I've read a few volumes already and was just thinking of picking it up again, so I am in for the full bundle.

Yeah, there is still a pile of stuff in this bundle not in the previous one, as well as completing few sets that were not complete.

I'm torn, i keep buying these and not quite getting around to reading them but the price is stupid low (ffs $15usd for the whole thing, that would barely get you even one of the subsets) even for just the ones i don't already own and WANT DAMMIT WANT.

#1936 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 29 March 2019 - 06:00 PM

Just read the third volume of Warren Ellis's Wild Storm reboot. This is so good you guys. Things start to really come together in this volume and it's fricking great.

#1937 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 30 March 2019 - 01:30 PM

DC is addling all of their comics to their digital service. The only catch is that it's 12 months behind. Surprising, as Hoopla is 6 months behind, you get the trade as soon as it comes out. Granted you get video too. I don't think I will subscribe unless they pull or delay more on Hoopla. Still a great deal.

And I agree with polishgenius, the new Wild Storm is well worth your time.

This post has been edited by T77: 30 March 2019 - 01:31 PM

#1938 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 31 March 2019 - 12:02 AM

View Postpolishgenius, on 29 March 2019 - 06:00 PM, said:

Just read the third volume of Warren Ellis's Wild Storm reboot. This is so good you guys. Things start to really come together in this volume and it's fricking great.

The Midnighter and Apollo just wrecking the Skywatch capture mission is several miles beyond awesome. Ellis is just killing it on this one; nods to the past but telling his own story.

This post has been edited by stone monkey: 31 March 2019 - 12:02 AM

If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#1939 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 31 March 2019 - 06:54 AM

Aw man I hadn't got that far (since I'm tradewaiting) and now I'm simulatneously hyped and mad that I have to wait till August for that.

#1940 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 01 April 2019 - 01:53 AM

Finished FABLES.
Wow. They managed to keep that level pretty solid all the way to the end. As a complete story, the whole thing is just.... wow.
I didn’t entirely love the A-plot heading into the finale, there was a level of contrivance to it that bugged me after how organically the previous storylines evolved, but even so, as a conclusion to 150 floppies... yeah, that was superior comics there.
I have a bunch of the spinoffs but I think i’ll read something else first.

Share this topic:

• 117 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users