Malazan Empire: The Comics Thread! - Malazan Empire

• 117 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Comics Thread! SLAM! WHAM! KA-BOOM! KER-SPLODE!!!

#1741 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:52 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 July 2018 - 02:10 PM, said:

View PostT77, on 04 July 2018 - 01:59 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 July 2018 - 01:15 PM, said:

Over my cottage/Canada Day weekend I finally got around to reading Peter J. Tomasi & Jorge Jimenez's SUPER SONS (about Damian Wayne & Jonathan Kent), and I have to say this pretty much solidifies Tomasi as one of my favourite authors working in comics today. It's light, airy fun stuff that never gets bogged down in any "grim" DC stuff. Really fantastic. Highly recommended.

I also, and I'm super late to the party on this one and I realize this is a travesty that I'm only now rectifying, FINALLY read DC: NEW FRONTIER by the late, great Darwyn Cooke. Wow. I totally get why it's so praised and why it won Eisner Awards now. It's utterly phenomenal cover to cover. I'm not often this blown away by a comic. The art style, the setting (WWII-1960), and most of all the amazing writing. I've never read a Darwyn Cooke story before this one, and I was not disappointed. That man KNEW comics. Anyways, will seek out more stuff of his now. Bottom line: This is probably the finest Justice League story I've ever read. Ever.

Better than Rock of Ages by Morrison? I'm reading his JLA run now and loving it! Currently in Rock of Ages. In any event, NEW FRONTIER was not on my list - added, thanks for the reco.

Yes, better. It's basically a retelling of the origins of the JL through the events of post WWII America including a lot of the major 20th Century elements (Mcarthyism, space race, racism, sexism, ect. of the 50's and 60's). It's stunning drawn and written.

It's about a 400page comic I think (the physical version anyways) and costs about $50 in said physical version, but I got it on a Comixology sale for like $8? I think it's about $20 on comixology normally.

SO WORTH IT. hope you enjoy it!

Thanks, I'm sure I will. It's on Hoopla. I bumped this up on my list.

#1742 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 05 July 2018 - 05:20 PM

Is it better than Kingdom Come? I know that's not a traditional JL story but...

And yeah, I'll have to bump it up the list. Though given how slow my list goes it's still gonna be aaaaaaaaaaaages.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#1743 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 05 July 2018 - 05:23 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 05 July 2018 - 05:20 PM, said:

I would not know as I've not yet read Kingdom Come, but anything is possible. I think Cooke just hit the DC heroes sweet spot.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1744 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 05 July 2018 - 05:56 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 July 2018 - 05:23 PM, said:

View Postpolishgenius, on 05 July 2018 - 05:20 PM, said:

I would not know as I've not yet read Kingdom Come...

QT.... you really, REALLY, need to remedy this hideous gaping gap in your life.

Meanwhile, DARK ARK...
Caught a promo blurb for this somewhere or other.... here's comixology's

The wickedness of mankind has moved the Creator to destroy the world by way of the flood. Noah has been tasked with building an ark to save his family and the animals of the world. But this is not Noah's story. For darker powers have commanded the sorcerer Shrae to build his own ark and save the unnatural creatures of the world—such as the vampires, the dragons, the naga and the manticore. But what will happen on a vessel crawling with monsters, where insidious intrigue and horrific violence are the rule of law?

From writer Cullen Bunn (X-Men Blue, Deadpool, Venom) and artist Juan Doe (AMERICAN MONSTER, WORLD READER) comes a sinister tale of biblical proportions that HAD to be told at AfterShock Comics.

... anyhoo, three issues in and i'm hooked (pun semi-intended). The core concept is just great. Original, well thought out. There are few points that may cause a headscratch or two... why are the unicorns the only 'good' monsters stuck with all the evil monsters.... but other elements are interesting, such as the storage hold full of chained human 'food', or the fact that the passengers are aware of Noah's ark and have some very strong feelings about it, mostly in their stomachs.

The art is not the bestest i've seen... a lot of the creatures look more or less the same when they aren't the focus of the story, the humans are very generic - i would have loved to see what THE AUTUMNLANDS' Dewey, MONSTRESS' Takeda, or SEVEN TO ETERNITY's Opena/Hollingsworth could have done with the creatures and setting - but the story itself carries the work, the dialogue is solid, and overall i just really want to see what happens next. My bad for not waiting til the series was completed, vol 1 is ish #s 1-5, series is at 9 i think.

I really need to resume my vow to stop starting ongoings before they conclude or at least hit a solid end point.... w DARK ARK now i have EAST OF WEST, SAGA, BLACK SCIENCE, SEVEN TO ETERNITY, MONSTRESS, DESCENDER all ongoing, albeit by tpb, not floppies ( and as of recently all digital). And very few of those are written so that the trades are full stories, not cliffhangers.

Jerks.

Ah well, it's sweet suffering.

On the Marvel Unlimited front still reading NEW WOLVERINE, which is solid Marvel fun. Am sort of skirting around the edges of the CIVIL WAR 2 event... i don't particularly care about the event itself - reviews were massively negative - but it's the next Big Stupid Crossover Event in my reading order.

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#1745 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:03 AM

I read Dark Nights: Metal. That was awesome. In many ways it felt like Scott Snyder going SEE GRANT MORRISON THIS IS HOW YOU WRITE A FINAL CRISIS! Still the odd irritation- it's a lot less cluttered than said Final Crisis but there are still a couple of moments, especially at the end, that could have been given more room to breathe, and visually although the art was mostly great it never actually gave a good feel for the Dark Universe itself, a missed opportunity for some epic-scale panels and pages here- but really it's just an absolute blast from start to finish.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#1746 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 July 2018 - 09:05 AM

I've fallen down the Avengers well.

After finishing the Secret Wars arc I went back to around 2004 Avengers, after disassembled and the House of M story (which I also need to read later) before Civil War kicked off.

There's so many issues that tie in to this stuff it's exhausting. Fury's secret War, the road to civil war stories, dark reign and siege, secret invasion, etc. Not to mention the individual series, like Iron Man, Thor, cap America, Punishe, etc. Dear God.

It's a good thing I am a librarian, because just finding all of it, in all it's poorly indexed glory has been a chore. Buying all these comics at the time of release must have been ruinous.

I have a stack of 30 volumes on my desk at home and another 40 volumes ordered. Right up to the latest All new Avengers. And then when I am done with them There's fantastic four and X-men and Spiderman. The list goes on.

I'm set for months.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 22 July 2018 - 09:59 AM

#1747 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 23 July 2018 - 03:03 AM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 22 July 2018 - 09:05 AM, said:

There's so many issues that tie in to this stuff it's exhausting. Fury's secret War, the road to civil war stories, dark reign and siege, secret invasion, etc. Not to mention the individual series, like Iron Man, Thor, cap America, Punishe, etc. Dear God.

It's a good thing I am a librarian, because just finding all of it, in all it's poorly indexed glory has been a chore.

Comicvine is your friend.

#1748 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:06 AM

Oh yes, I used what ever "bibliographies" I could find on the net, that wasn't a problem.

No, the issue is when every new series is called "new" and who ever was in charge of generating the materials meta data decided that there was no need to add any kind of description or keeping the numbering consistent between old and new posts.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 23 July 2018 - 05:07 AM

#1749 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 23 July 2018 - 01:42 PM

Just read volume one of Champions.

It's a new marvel superhero teenage team, consisting of the new shapeshifting ms marvel, Amadeus cho hulk, Morales spider-man, Visions daughter (How does that work?), kid Nova and past present young Cyclops.

It's great. It's written by Mark Waid and drawn by Humberto Ramos and, while I don't pretend to know what the hip young readers want, this seems like a very cool take on writing super heroes for the social media conscious, identity invested
generation.

The writing is funny and the characters have great chemistry. And the art is awesome. I'm hooked.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 23 July 2018 - 01:58 PM

#1750 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 23 July 2018 - 06:38 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 23 July 2018 - 01:42 PM, said:

Just read volume one of Champions.

It's a new marvel superhero teenage team, consisting of the new shapeshifting ms marvel, Amadeus cho hulk, Morales spider-man, Visions daughter (How does that work?), kid Nova and past present young Cyclops.

It's great. It's written by Mark Waid and drawn by Humberto Ramos and, while I don't pretend to know what the hip young readers want, this seems like a very cool take on writing super heroes for the social media conscious, identity invested
generation.

The writing is funny and the characters have great chemistry. And the art is awesome. I'm hooked.

Re Vision’s daughter, see Tom King’s VISION series. It’s supposed to be amazing. Haven’t read it yet but will soon.

#1751 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:09 AM

I read the entirety of Lock & Key. It was great up until the end sequence which had a coda that was pablum on the level of Mitch Albom's The Five People You Meet In Heaven/Tuesdays with Morrie bullshit.

It's not quite the most abysmal final bits of a comic series, but that's only because Preacher screwed it up so bad before this.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#1752 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:55 AM

View Postamphibian, on 24 July 2018 - 02:09 AM, said:

I read the entirety of Lock & Key. It was great up until the end sequence which had a coda that was pablum on the level of Mitch Albom's The Five People You Meet In Heaven/Tuesdays with Morrie bullshit.

It's not quite the most abysmal final bits of a comic series, but that's only because Preacher screwed it up so bad before this.

Disagree. PREACHER lost its way and couldn’t wrap up clean because the story had become scattered and incoherent and I suspect Ennius just wanted to wrap it up and move along.
L&K was always about family, and despite the cold treatment of most of the supporting cast, the core characters were always going to have some form of happy ending, and all the pieces were put in place along the way.

#1753 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 24 July 2018 - 03:39 AM

The ending is pure pablum and the family part can still happen with the ghost remaining a ghost.

#1754 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 July 2018 - 12:54 PM

I'm glad you two were here, on the generic comic thread, to essentially spoil locke and key for me. Thanks?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1755 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 24 July 2018 - 01:01 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 24 July 2018 - 12:54 PM, said:

I'm glad you two were here, on the generic comic thread, to essentially spoil locke and key for me. Thanks?

It's five years past completion date.

#1756 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 July 2018 - 01:04 PM

View Postamphibian, on 24 July 2018 - 01:01 PM, said:

Does that make it okay? Use spoiler tags.

#1757 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 24 July 2018 - 01:38 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 24 July 2018 - 01:04 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 24 July 2018 - 01:01 PM, said:

Does that make it okay? Use spoiler tags.

Five years? Yeah, it's pretty much time to accept that might happen. I wasn't the one to go into details and still have been vague, but I'm sorry you got spoiled.

#1758 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 July 2018 - 01:51 PM

If this were a dedicated L&K thread, I'd understand and stay out, but in the generic comics thread?

Anyways. It's fine. Thanks for the apology, I realize it was not your intent to spoil.

#1759 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:29 PM

Reading more marvel. I've read pretty much everything Civil War except some of the actual main civil war issues that seem to be stuck in library limbo.

Reading those stories I remain convinced that Iron Man was in the right and cap is an idealistic fool. A strange thing that they don't address though, is that if it's so important to police the powerful, shouldn't Reed Richards and Tony Stark and their tech be subjected to the same scrutiny? Why isn't there some kind of regulation of the insane stuff these two build on a whim? We're talking about people who just whip up gene viruses and wormhole generators and fusion batteries like it's nothing.

They're ridiculously scary if you think about it for a second.

Anyway, onward to The Secret Invasion, The Thunderbolts, Dark Avengers and Siege. I love this stuff. They made Norman Osborn into a great villain and manage to use his insanity to show how lacking the heroes can be in their thinking. It's like when they made Lex Luthor go legit and get into politics.

I like this secret invasion stuff. This has to have been inspired by Battlestar Galactica, right? I love how freaked out everyone is by the skrulls.

Also been reading some new Punisher and Iron Man comics. Iron Man is legitimately hilarious in these new comics. There's this returning segment where he wants Doctor Strange to Hi5 him and he calls them beard bros. It makes me so happy.

Oh and Doc Doom has returned with out his armor and now his face is normal after the Secret War stuff. He's being a good guy and wants to hang out with Stark. This of course freaks him out and again I am thoroughly amused.

#1760 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 27 July 2018 - 06:46 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 24 July 2018 - 01:51 PM, said:

If this were a dedicated L&K thread, I'd understand and stay out, but in the generic comics thread?

Anyways. It's fine. Thanks for the apology, I realize it was not your intent to spoil.

Seconding apology for my part in it, tho I think we were pretty vague and your future hypothetical enjoyment is safe.
Also, Darth Vader is Luke’s father, Dil had a penis, so did Angela, Verbal was Keiser Soze, Ferris is saved, the Ghostbusters merge the streams, and Superman dies but gets better. Twice. Maybe three times, I’m not sure if the latest cartoon movie counts.

Share this topic:

• 117 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users