• You cannot reply to this topic

Need help finding ANY book?

#61 User is offline   Pallol One Eye 

• War Mule
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading, Playing Guitar, Fine Wines

Posted 21 December 2007 - 06:18 PM

Two books

Book !: I bought this in UK during the 80's, probably early 80's at that. But Here's what I remember:

1. Hero's weapon was a discus
2. He left a city on a quest to find something to save the city.
3. It was written in an extremely archaic style, thee's, thou's and so forth.
4. I vaguely remember the cover portraying a city shaped like a golden pyramid.

I bought it as a rainy day book, started it, and then lost it when I moved to the USA, Then forgot about it. Something made me remember it.

2nd book: Also read, maybe purchased I don't know any way it involved travel through a portal and an empire of ants on the other end of it. Vauguely remeber a scene about drifting down a river and being washed ashore. May have been a short story.

Hope someone can help

#62 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:58 AM

TOGGS;236277 said:

Cheers Man,

Just did a wikipedia search on that, its the one all right. How the hell did you remember that, it was over 10 years ago when I read the bloody thing?

As soon as I figure out how to rep someone, you'll be the first

TOGGS - currently wondering if a life of debauchery leads to senility or amnesia

I always liked the magic system in those books, even though I'm not sure I completed the series. It was pretty unique. I might have to track those down and read them again. Were they D&D based? Dragonlance or some such nonsense?
Error: Signature not valid

#63 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:42 AM

hmmm.. not sure if Dragonlance per say, tho borrowed some plot elements (a confuzed all-powerful wizard who shows up in the most timely matter, for instance)...

magic was based on runes... that's about all that i really remember... Haplo mighte've used the ones tattoed on him, but not too sure bout that...
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#64 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 22 December 2007 - 08:07 AM

Yeah, Haplo put together the different runes on his body to create powerful symbols which evoked magic, iirc. The other guys danced to make magic. Fun stuff.

#65 User is offline   Zanth13 

• We are not the same
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 22 December 2007 - 08:21 AM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;236822 said:

Yeah, Haplo put together the different runes on his body to create powerful symbols which evoked magic, iirc. The other guys danced to make magic. Fun stuff.

I believe haplo also drew runes sometimes out in the air, sometimes on objects (i know for sure he put runes on his daggers) to do his magic.

the Sartans used dances/voice to do thier magic I believe, though they could trace the runes as well (ie in the air or on objects) .

Both races Patryns and Sartans, used magic that was based on probablities, and bringing those possiblities into reality... the more crazy or unlikely the possiblity the harder/more magic used. IE pulling the possibility forward that an earthquake would hit, or that the room would fill with poison gas ect. Or simple stuff like duplicating food (one fish they could turn into hundreds)you get the Idea they were crazy strong, the sartans even split the original world(earth) into 7 different worlds..(i think it was seven)

Patryns (haplo's race) had runes tattooed on their bodies which acted as a warning sign (glowed when danger was present) as well as acted as a sort of magical armour.
You can't find me because I'm lost in the music

#66 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 22 December 2007 - 08:37 AM

That sounds right. I should read these again. Probably won't be as good.

#67 User is offline   Master Prudent 

• Recruit

Posted 20 January 2008 - 11:49 PM

They (death gate) were written by the same people that wrote the first dragonlance books. The confused wizard was a character borrowed from their other works - his name (as I recall) was an anagram of that wizard's name. As I recall they were pretty decent - I think the quality improved as the series continued.

#68 User is offline   Falcdragon 

• Recruit

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:12 AM

Here's one, can any one give me a name.
It's darkish swords and sorcery a series, with some similarities to conan. Primarily about a mystic fighter/barbarian as he travels round the world searching for various treasures and in the later books fighting a lot of Demons. There was also a "Choose your own adventure" series based on the same character. I think either the series name or characters name may begin with K.

I read it about 10 years ago so may have been considered a young adult series. Was some what reminded off it after playing through the Witcher but can't for the life of me remember the name.

#69 User is offline   Zanth13 

• We are not the same
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:22 AM

Master Prudent;245559 said:

They (death gate) were written by the same people that wrote the first dragonlance books. The confused wizard was a character borrowed from their other works - his name (as I recall) was an anagram of that wizard's name. As I recall they were pretty decent - I think the quality improved as the series continued.

yes yes, Weiss and Hickman Death Gate cycle,

Fizban and Zifnab are the two wizards you speak of that are in both series....
I remember one makes a reference to James Bond that had me laughing.

One was a the god Paladines Avatar the other was a crazy but very powerful wizard(sartan) who stuck on earth when it was split into 7 different worlds but some how survived and joined up with a dragon some how.
You can't find me because I'm lost in the music

#70 User is offline   doolally2au 

• Lieutenant

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:47 AM

kud13;220537 said:

Something I randomly remembered today.. it was a book I read a while back (at last 6 years ago, and it was translatd, so no idea, what the title was)

the premise of the story is semi-based on Celtic mythology (remember them mentioning the Beltaine (sp?) festivities.
The plot revolves around a young boy, maimed by accident that cost him his arm, and his struggle to become a warrior of his tribe. his main trial is to kill a wolf, and he has a dog called Whiteneck.

I'm not sure if it's fantasy or more of pseudohistorical fiction type stuff, but it got into my head today all of a sudden, and if anyone could tell me what the title is, that would be great

I remember this one. It is "Warrior Scarlet" by Rosemary Sutcliff.
Reintarnation: Coming back to life as a hillbilly

#71 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 22 January 2008 - 06:04 PM

Falcdragon;245848 said:

It's darkish swords and sorcery a series, with some similarities to conan. Primarily about a mystic fighter/barbarian as he travels round the world searching for various treasures and in the later books fighting a lot of Demons. There was also a "Choose your own adventure" series based on the same character. I think either the series name or characters name may begin with K.

I read it about 10 years ago so may have been considered a young adult series. Was some what reminded off it after playing through the Witcher but can't for the life of me remember the name.

Did he say witness a lot?

#72 User is offline   Falcdragon 

• Recruit

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:40 AM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;246626 said:

Did he say witness a lot?

Sorry can't remember, what I stuck aboves about the limit of what I remember.

#73 User is offline   wolf_2099 

• First Sword
  • I like cake.

Posted 31 May 2008 - 04:47 AM

Looking for a name.
Castaway book, and it would have been a high school read, maybe 200 pages.
Would have taken places maybe early 1900's, maybe.
White teenager gets stranded with an old black man after a ship wreck on a desert island.
The kid goes blind, and the black man teaches him how to survive on the island, teaching him how to get food the the reef.

Eventually a hurricane blows through, killing the black man, and leaving the white kid stranded alone.

Eventually the kid gets rescued, he gets glasses, and can see again.

Might have been based on a true story.

+rep for help!
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

#74 User is offline   Kulp Diet 

• Sergeant

Posted 31 May 2008 - 01:22 PM

Falcdragon;245848 said:

Would that be Joe Dever's Lone Wolf series? The "K" could be the order of the "Kai" ,and the "Magna-Kai", which is the mystic & martial arts system and worked into the sub-title I believe.

#75 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:07 PM

wolf_2099;319596 said:

Looking for a name.
Castaway book, and it would have been a high school read, maybe 200 pages.
Would have taken places maybe early 1900's, maybe.
White teenager gets stranded with an old black man after a ship wreck on a desert island.
The kid goes blind, and the black man teaches him how to survive on the island, teaching him how to get food the the reef.

Eventually a hurricane blows through, killing the black man, and leaving the white kid stranded alone.

Eventually the kid gets rescued, he gets glasses, and can see again.

Might have been based on a true story.

+rep for help!

The Cay by Theodore Taylor? I never read it, but my google-fu turned up some summaries of this book that sound an awful lot like what you're looking for.

#76 User is offline   wolf_2099 

• First Sword
  • I like cake.

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:39 PM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;319837 said:

The Cay by Theodore Taylor? I never read it, but my google-fu turned up some summaries of this book that sound an awful lot like what you're looking for.

It is! Have rep!

I just won a bet, woohoo@!

Must spread more rep around first, will get back later today!
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

#77 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:56 PM

Good thing I had my

Posted Image

button handy.

#78 User is offline   Kulp Diet 

• Sergeant

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:35 PM

Here's one I read way back in my middle/elementary school days, so its probably young adult. It was a trilogy, I believe.

I don't remember a lot, other than the premise was basically a precursor to Harry Potter (except without muggles). A boy goes to a school of magic to learn the art. He gets mixed up in some ritual of summoning a demon (known as a "Namelss One"). Of course, if you know its name you can unsummon it, yada, yada, but if it knows your name you are in deep crap. It gets his name somehow and beats the ever-living mystical and physical snot out of him to the point of near death. He recovers but is scarred for life.

In the second book he has graduated to adept or something and is at the next level school, and I think in the third he is an instructor. I remember him being hauted by the nameless one demon, always on edge, but not any of the other stuff that happened.

My instinct is that the books were pretty juvenielle, but I would like to find copies for my kids because I remember reading these books and getting turned onto fantasy, which led to reading the Hobbit and LOTR.

#79 User is offline   Dag 

• Burninating poodles since 1996

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:57 AM

Kulp Diet;320540 said:

I don't remember a lot, other than the premise was basically a precursor to Harry Potter (except without muggles). A boy goes to a school of magic to learn the art. He gets mixed up in some ritual of summoning a demon (known as a "Namelss One"). Of course, if you know its name you can unsummon it, yada, yada, but if it knows your name you are in deep crap. It gets his name somehow and beats the ever-living mystical and physical snot out of him to the point of near death. He recovers but is scarred for life.

Well... Except for the "Nameless One" part, this sounds exactly like "A Wizard of Earthsea", the first book of Ursula K. Le Guin's "Earthsea" series.

In the second book he has graduated to adept or something and is at the next level school, and I think in the third he is an instructor. I remember him being hauted by the nameless one demon, always on edge, but not any of the other stuff that happened.

This fits only partly into the further "Earthsea" plot, but I'd say it's similar enough to assume that these are the books you are looking for. Still... I wouldn't say "Earthsea" was a YA fantasy... And since Rowling wasn't the first one to use the "inspired by" method... maybe somebody else "borrowed" from Le Guin, which wouldn't surprise me...

#80 User is offline   Kulp Diet 

• Sergeant

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:38 AM

Dag;320638 said:

And since Rowling wasn't the first one to use the "inspired by" method... maybe somebody else "borrowed" from Le Guin, which wouldn't surprise me...

I suspect that may be. Then again, maybe my reading level was higher than I suspect as a young lad. I haven't read anything by LeGuin in a long, long time. I'll check out Earthsea. My memory on this is just so foggy.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users