• You cannot reply to this topic

Music

#12241 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 April 2024 - 10:44 PM

View Postworry, on 07 April 2024 - 10:09 PM, said:

Okay grandpa.

Oh right, any American who needs to look up what "switch" means in the context of gun violence must be either elderly or so redneck they've got grandkids by their 30's.

Here I assumed when my old haunt Voltage Lounge (by the Electric Factory) changed its name to The Switch it was a reference to sex... but Gen Z is more interested in Gun-z. These kids are so decadent they're not even shooting each other over drugs most of the time---just beef. (And it doesn't even have anything to do with Hindu nationalism....) Great to hear Kendrick Lamar stepping up to bat with his "K" AKA AK rat-a-tat-tat, OK Boom Boom bap trap. But he does offer some sage and practical advice: before threatening to shoot people who have guns and are threatening to shoot people, make sure you have at least one body guard to stop some bullets with his body (for this to work clearly you must be covered in body guards on all sides and at all angles, like a mass of torsos and limbs, almost like a Biblical angel), and bigger and better guns than the other guys.

To be fair this is still one of my favorite songs that I go around singing when I'm strolling through the city (of course my favorite rendition is the reconstructed Elizabethan pronunciation version by the Bostom Camerata, from What Then Is Love?---which isn't available on Youtube yet, hélas):

This is the only song from that album on Youtube:

What then is love but mourning?
What desire, but a selfe-burning?
[...]

Beautie is but a blooming,
Youth in his glorie entombing

Thomas Campion. What Then Is Love But Mourning? (luminarium.org)

Which reminds me of one of my favorite lines of blank verse (by the Elizabethan dramatist Christopher Marlowe, a major influence on Shakespeare):

... so if that were representative of my age, I'd suppose I'd be a great-great-...-grandpa vampire... or lich.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 07 April 2024 - 10:49 PM

#12242 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 April 2024 - 01:20 AM

That's exactly what my grandpa would have posted.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12243 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 09 April 2024 - 02:42 PM

A primary cause of this spread – which goes beyond viral TikToks – is British rap, with drill, grime and more taking new linguistic styles to the far corners of the country. In some cases, the entire cultural spread of MLE [Multicultural London English / Black British English] is contained in a single song. "I'm giving them UK slang / My brudda, my fam, my akh / You say: 'The feds just done a sweep' / We say, 'The boy dem run in my gaff'," Central Cee rapped in a 2022 freestyle, nodding to patois, cockney and Arabic respectively – akh is an Arabic word that has fed into MLE from the British Somali community, who are among both the largest Muslim and Black communities in Britain. Elsewhere, west African slang and dialects have continued to creep into British rap. Drizzled on to songs by the likes of Skepta, J Hus and NSG, terms such as wahala (trouble), "let me land" (let me finish) and juju (ancient African spiritual belief systems) are a reflection of how African communities are carving themselves deeply into British soil.

"You have quite a long history of British vernaculars being exported through British cultural forms,"
Spoiler

Carving deeply... as with knives? Or is it more like filling the soil with bells?

You don't know me, you don't know yourself
Put the machine on the shelf
Only time can tell when we'll fill him with bells
And his brethren, we'll drill 'em as well, bring 'em to hell
[...]

I wanna send a message, let them know that I'm not playing
I wanna beef the world, I wanna feed him bells
[...]

Blam the young G and blam the older
Go to that country and take it over
The world keeps spinning
like a revolver
Blackjack, I'm the joker

[...]
It's crazy, gotta spread them bells out evenly
Furiously, deviously

J Hus – It's Crazy Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

TIL: "bells" is MLE for "bullets".

#Progress!

Reggae seems like a much more ethical MLE influence... and not just as "peace and love", but as part of social justice movements (and movements towards utopian ideals...). Then again IDK, I'm sure some Grime and Drill is oriented towards what progressives would recognize as social justice; but the vast majority of the focus seems to be more... street justice, getting ahead in the bell-jeweled "gat race"....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 09 April 2024 - 02:46 PM

#12244 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 April 2024 - 12:08 PM

Socially conscious UK drill:

Someone got showered with bullets, setting up tents again
You ever had to pass that tape praying it ain't your friend
And if it is that sorrow in pain,this shit ain't a game
Who's going to break the news to the family
And who's going to explain
Who's going to tell them it's over nothing
Came from the mud got stuck in
Every other day its something I wonder who's gonna break the cycle
Who's got time to, Its pain when a man just like you tries you

[...] in meantimes we set up a drone in the sim

K-Trap – Help Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

And even more progressive:

Drill Drill Drill Drill Drill the Hominids | UK Drill | Suno

#12245 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 April 2024 - 03:45 PM

The Suno AI killer is live now. Free public beta---as with Suno you can log in with your Google or Discord or Twitter accounts.

Lorem Ipsum Dolor | Symphonic Metal

Sweetest Craving | Folk Acoustic Guitar

Metropolis Pt. 3 | Progressive Metal

#12246 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 11 April 2024 - 06:27 PM

So, for people who like their music to actually come from musicians and not soulless theft machines (and to stop this thread from turning into yet another "Azath posts about AI in every post and everyone else stops posting because it's so boring")

Check this awesome multi-genre band out:
https://youtu.be/xvA...GEDGNvHVgj6h5YA

Ostensibly metal, Helga blend ethereal folky epicness with proggy and atmospheric metal bits in a way that makes you want to traipse through Scandinavian forests or something.

A few screams occur, but for those who don't like them, worry not as the screamy bits are short lived, infrequent and always fit, contextually, with the rest of the song if that makes sense.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12247 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 April 2024 - 06:55 PM

Tiste Simeon, on 11 April 2024 - 06:27 PM, said:

So, for people who like their music to actually come from musicians and not soulless theft machines (and to stop this thread from turning into yet another "Azath posts about AI in every post and everyone else stops posting because it's so boring")

You do understand that Kendrick Lamar and Future are not AI right? (Though the future is... and obviously Eliza is the Singularity:

Eliza's eyes are blessed stars,
Inducing peace, subduing wars
[...]
O blessed be each day and hour
Where sweet Eliza Singularity builds her bower

Likewise, most of UK drill is most likely not an AI-generated grand conspiracy to corrupt the youth. Aside from one joke, one incidental link to a parody, and one brief mention in an article I haven't even referenced AI at all in my last half-dozen posts in this thread.

Check this awesome multi-genre band out:
https://youtu.be/xvA...GEDGNvHVgj6h5YA

Ostensibly metal, Helga blend ethereal folky epicness with proggy and atmospheric metal bits in a way that makes you want to traipse through Scandinavian forests or something.

A few screams occur, but for those who don't like them, worry not as the screamy bits are short lived, infrequent and always fit, contextually, with the rest of the song if that makes sense.

That's a very nice album of lullabies. ("Wrapped in Mist"---oh so original, AI could never come up with something so brilliant.... Swaddled in mist like diapers of smoke from some soporific herb?) Overall, almost as effective as what AI could do in two seconds.... (Kidding... more like twenty seconds. But it will get faster soon, don't worry!)

#12248 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 12 April 2024 - 03:54 PM

"Equal parts Punk, Metal, Pop, Shoegaze and Cabaret, [...] critically-acclaimed underground sextet" from Mexico:

We are
uncer
-tain tea

Sear-
ching
for cer
-tain tea

If the world
If the world
If the world
wants to break
I'll
scream

Descartes A Kant – After Destruction Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

I've had that song stuck in my head for much of today... I've also been going around humming this one:

the most famous heavy metal band in China [...] gathered people from different places like Beijing, Mongolia and Tibet, and all these cultures give Voodoo Kungfu its unique flavor. [...] known as the "Ultimate Screaming Master" [...] was bitten by his pet cobra [...] falling into a deep coma [...] has been to Hell but survived to bring back the voice from Hell.

Voodoo Kungfu - (folk-metal.nl)

Lyrics (translated):

I was photographed dead in a mirror
All humanity shatter
Calling mother
But swear it's for masturbation
[...]
End only sequence
Stay on number line forever
Dead like dancer(s) playing (us) in puppet show(s)

Voodoo Kungfu – Mongol Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 12 April 2024 - 04:11 PM

#12249 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 14 April 2024 - 11:58 AM

Spoiler

From the forthcoming All Born Screaming (with drums by David Grohl):

the video, shot in Philadelphia [but how many times did they get shot? and where? ...] reflecting "the gauntlet of emotional wreckage that is side one

St. Vincent Enlisting Dave Grohl for New Album 'All Born Screaming' (variety.com)

full of decay and brutality [Philadelphia!], with its thrashing, raging opening
Spoiler

[Grohl:] "She always takes you somewhere new, and does it with such power and grace. [...]"

‘I‘d rather people scratch their heads than yawn’: St Vincent on death, Dave Grohl and dividing her fans | St Vincent | The Guardian

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 14 April 2024 - 12:04 PM

#12250 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 16 April 2024 - 12:13 PM

'Worst performance in the history of Coachella': Tech issues doom star act

Things started so promising, too

[...] Grimes swore and growled through one of several aborted attempts to play "Music 4 Machines" before apologizing to the crowd and saying, "We are actually having a major technical difficulty."

'Worst performance in the history of Coachella': Tech issues doom star (sfgate.com)

lol, it even got reported on by CNN, People, Cosmopolitan, USA Today, and Business Insider (as well as Variety, etc. etc.). Possibly not the worst possible way to get publicity for the new music she's been debuting at Coachella.

#11DimensionalChess

Rating her screams at Coachella (video):

"grimes set at coachella �� doing my taxes X (twitter.com)

lol @ Grimes screaming because an equipment malfunction put all her songs in double time and she's too high to divide by two. Forgot to bring a calculator. The jokes almost write themselves (even without---oh no, I better not mention the name of the great Voldemort, lest Tiste throw another tantrum!).

I've had the chorus of this one stuck in my head intermittently:

Oh, Fantasia
Your tears are data

The cycle [of Luddites, stuck in the muddy whirlpools of human tragedy?] would not recognize the Garden of Eden
It is not made of mud and cannot dream of returning to dust

There was another one I liked but it got taken down from Youtube by Universal Music Group. (Apparently some people who recorded it live on their phones have been posting it to Youtube and elsewhere, but the audio quality's pretty bad.) Here are some of the lyrics (I think):

On the other side
of darkness
I found new life

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 16 April 2024 - 12:13 PM

#12251 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 April 2024 - 11:45 AM

The most highly anticipated new synth of 2024 finally got released today:

#12252 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 21 April 2024 - 10:17 PM

New Squarepusher is out. And, as always, I'm reminded that the man is up there with the Aphex Twin for producing absolute bangers...

If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#12253 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 22 April 2024 - 01:57 AM

View Poststone monkey, on 21 April 2024 - 10:17 PM, said:

New Squarepusher is out. And, as always, I'm reminded that the man is up there with the Aphex Twin for producing absolute bangers...

My head almost fell off nodding to that. I love the haunting sustains too.

These are the synths Equipboard has listed for him:

Squarepusher | Equipboard

"As well as unusual and custom-built gear", apparently not listed....

Was thinking of getting Softube's Roland SH101 emulation a few months ago when it was something like $19 but the hardware sounds so much better (plus Softube's software emulations aren't MPE compatible---so no polyphonic pitch bends or per-voice 5D touch modulations on the Seaboard):

But Cherry Audio has a pretty decent sounding Octave Cat software emulation (with MPE too):

#12254 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 April 2024 - 02:21 PM

Trigger warning: I'm going to be critical of

Spoiler

#12255 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 May 2024 - 03:18 PM

Synth redesigned (in conjunction with Hans Zimmer) for use in the soundtrack of Dune 2, more than a month after it was originally scheduled for release, is finally out now (including the actual presets used in the film):

They took a software recreation of the classic ("legendary") Minimoog D (from the 70's) and greatly expanded its capabilities.

It's a bit pricey at $179 (though hardware analog synths typically cost thousands of dollars) so I'll probably wait until it's on sale for 50% off.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 04 May 2024 - 03:19 PM

#12256 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted Today, 05:19 PM

Steve Albini has passed away at only 61. It is impossible to overstate how vital his hand was in both the music world generally, and the music I personally enjoy in particular. Maybe the single most important guy across it all.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12257 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted Today, 06:25 PM

View Postworry, on 08 May 2024 - 05:19 PM, said:

Steve Albini has passed away at only 61. It is impossible to overstate how vital his hand was in both the music world generally, and the music I personally enjoy in particular. Maybe the single most important guy across it all.

Big Black's [...] music was characterized by [...] use of a drum machine rather than a drum kit [...] They were staunchly critical of the commercial nature of rock, shunning the mainstream music industry and insisting on complete control over all aspects of their career. [ Interesting that he went on to be so influential as a producer and studio owner ...]

[...] Many of his songs told miniature short stories of sociopaths doing evil things that the average person might merely contemplate. Some[...] were based on real events, or things that Albini had
Spoiler

Big Black - Wikipedia

#12258 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted Today, 07:43 PM

He has in recent years very publically and openly spoken about his earlier - partially misperceived - nihilism and condemned it as priviliged. His influence as a producer is insane. Pixies, Nirvana, PJ Harvey, Neurosis, mogwai, Dead Man Ray, Gogol bordello, the guy was a major and undeniable influence on indie and alt rock in the nineties. With a fantastic punk ethos throughout, never charging more than a flat production fee instead of a percentage of album sales, always accessible to anyone from little startup bands to major stars. Albini was proper.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: Today, 07:44 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

Share this topic:

• 613 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users