• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Creation Vs Evolution

#381 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:36 AM

If I were any happier, my dear, my head would explode.

Me heap big stone head, remember?

#382 Guest_potsherds_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:45 AM

Ah, no. That just explains to everyone who doesn't already know, that you have an ego the size of a planet. :)

If you're life's that good, I see why you passed up all those Swedish opportunities. :)

#383 Guest_Monk_*

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:55 AM

rlfcl;159268 said:

basically, the unknowns in the theory of evolution are present because we haven't reached a level of technology yet to be able to provide (same word i forgot up above, it's similar to "physical" and starts with an e) evidence for them. religion has never been able to prove any significant parts of it's hypotheses with actual evidence, it's entirely based on faith.

Empirical?

If so, I think you're correct that faith isn't based on empirical evidence, but to say that it's not based on evidence at all is, I believe, a false assumption. Empirical evidence? No. Subjective or experiential evidence? Yes. I don't see this as a problem. Nor do I think that science and religion are mutually exclusive fields where each should stay away from the other. I can understand this view with science, that it should stick to empirical evidence (though I don't think that science is free of conjecture and evidence-interpretation), but I think a theology which presumes God is a creator can definitely include the study of nature as a means of understanding better who that God is.

Someone stated earlier that it was a contradiction to believe in both evolution and God. I don't see it that way. And, if it is a contradiction, then I suspect that everyone lives with such contradictions, believing things based on empirical evidence, believing in things despite empirical evidence, believing things based on subjective evidence, believing things despite subjective evidence. Think of love. Is there any empirical way to test if someone loves you? Not that I kno of. Yet I think we have all been certain in some relationship or another that we are loved, despite a lack of empirical evidence, or that we are hated by someone, despite a lack of empirical evidence.

I guess when you come down to it, I don't see reason as the penultimate guide for life. Things may be reasonable (or appear reasonable), but may ultimately be the wrong thing to do. At the same time, I believe reason is an important faculty to be using, and don't believe that something like emotion or sense or inklings should be the ultimate guides for life.

Also, I agree that a lack of understanding or explanation does not necessitate God. At the same time, I think events happen which appear perfectly reasonable but may in fact be supernatural in source.

#384 User is offline   rlfcl 

• High Fist

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:58 AM

EMPIRICAL THANK YOU. i've actually been trying to remember that word for three days now and it was just a total blank.

well we disagree but there's not really much room here for discussion as you seem to believe what you believe because you wish to believe it, and that's fine.

also i'm just so happy you reminded me of the word. *goes to edit his posts*

#385 Guest_Monk_*

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:13 AM

rlfcl said:

also i'm just so happy you reminded me of the word. *goes to edit his posts*

No worries :-)

#386 Guest_potsherds_*

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:25 PM

Cold Iron;159259 said:

It amazes me the way people can just ignore the insanely obvious question of what set off the big bang. Science ignores it because there is no way to answer it scientifically. Meaning we aren't waiting on an answer that will come with scientific advancement. If there was something present before the BB, it was destroyed, and if there was nothing, it begs the question of how did it happen? If you have done any reading on Brane cosmology or a similar pre-big bang theory you would know how pseudo-scientific the field is because it is completely hypothetical and untestable. This is an area where science simply fails and where philosophy or religion must take over.

I submit to you, that you making my case for me. :) I ignore the random guesses anyone makes about what came 'before' the Big Bang. Even the language of that question is non-sensical. 'Before' implies time. Time didn't exist before the Big Bang. The question is not answerable by science. People can make up whatever fantasies they want to about what came 'before'. It necessarily has no impact on the present-day Universe, because, as you said, all information of anything pre-Big Bang was destroyed by the Big Bang.

All of those questions that, in your view, follow naturally from a clear understanding of the Big Bang, do not bother me in the least. If people want to dream about what things were like pre-Big Bang, fine. I do the same from time to time. It's an interesting exercise. But I'll never believe anyone who claims they know the truth about what was pre-Big Bang, because there's simply no way to know.

Cold Iron;159259 said:

I was more talking about planks, seconds and minutes after the big bang, but thanks for expertly extending that to 300,000 years.

Yeah, ok, so I didn't want to get bogged down in astronomical minutia in an evolution thread. Your point is well taken and completely correct. The time scales that are important rely on a log scale and yes, that does mean that planks and seconds after the BB are the important time-lengths to be concerned with. Frankly, I've gone through the likeliest model of the evolution of the Universe immediately after the BB, and a lot of it relies on working backward from the present-day system. Basically an exercise in 'How would things've had to progress in order to generate the Universe we see today, 13.7 billion years later?"
Now, I'm fuzzy on this stuff, and I know that there is a great deal more supporting evidence than that. The Lambda-CDM model seems relatively solid to me. Granted, I'm only an undergraduate.

Cold Iron said:

Also, this is the second time you have tried to flex educational superiority in this discussion. Firstly, it's irrelevent. Secondly, it's embarassing. If you need to appeal to your credentials to make a point, you appear threatened.

Screw you and the horse you rode in on. :)
Stop appealing to my inner nature to flaunt your superiority, that's beyond the scope of this thread.
Besides. I already stated my reasons for bringing it up the first time, and I'm not the heavy hitter here, I'm pretty fucking dumb. I was speaking more of Dolorous Menhir and D Man. In other words, I do feel threatened. I don't make the awesome cases they do. And uh, stuff.

#387 User is offline   Agraba 

• Emperor

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:59 PM

Nobody said that God and evolution don't go together, but I did say that evolution and christianity (and judaism, my native religion) don't go together, because those religions give a general model of how God created life on Earth, and that model is clearly inconsistent with evolution.

@Monk: What kind of experential evidence can suggest God's existance? Are you talking about factors of luck that work in people's favour, that seem so unlikely under natural circumstances, that you'd hypothesize there was some other factor besides luck?

@Potsherds (or another astronomy major): I'm doing my 2nd year undergrad as a physics major, but not as an astronomy major, so I'll ask you, do most physicists suggest that there was absolutely no existance before the Big Bang? One of my profs told us of a famous analogy referring to the universe as the "ultimate free lunch", suggesting that all this could have come from absolutely zero energy (i.e. nothing) because the positive energy things attain in mass and speed counterbalance the negative energy attained by loss of potential from the center of the universe, as it expands. I was quite perplexed by that, though, and barely convinced (perhaps because of my lack of understanding). It suggests that the center of the universe is the ultimate repulsion force, because that's the only way that things can gain energy from diverting away from it. But then that would suggest to me that it will be impossible for the universe to collapse one day, but that is the running theory. Is the "ultimate free lunch" a popular theory?

#388 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:08 PM

I've never heard that before Agraba. Most people would argue that the universe doesn't have a centre, so that makes the rest of your argument somewhat pointless.

#389 User is offline   Agraba 

• Emperor

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:00 PM

The part about the repulsion force isn't a part of the free lunch theory, just something I brought up. But isn't there a point of origin which the universe is diverting from, where the Big Bang took place?

#390 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:09 PM

No, there isn't.

edit:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Rela.../GR/centre.html

http://en.wikipedia....of_the_Universe

#391 User is offline   D Man 

• High Fist

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:38 PM

Cold Iron;159230 said:

*sigh* D Man, let me repeat myself. I'm not advocating creationism or claiming that at the end of the scientific method rainbow there is a pot of god.

I'm saying that science can not replace religion unless you make it a religion, which, if you believe that science fully explains the existance of life or the universe, is what you are doing. The point of the scientific method is that faith is not necessary because all assertions are proved.

Remove the supernatural from religion.

What do you have left?

Ritual.

Science has no rituals, per se. There are repetative tasks and procedures that have to be followed, but the object is indeed the object, not the state of mind of the participants (though objectivity helps when you come round to interpreting them, but there are no rituals involved in thinking objectively).

So if we supplant the supernatural of religion with the natural of science, which we are well into the process of doing, what are we left with? Rituals. Like going to the pub, dating, sports, work, art. Naturalistic ritual.

But thats clearly not religion.

Why?

The focus of religions rituals are supernatural beings and religious activities are enforced dogmatically.

Science is the process of constructing models to describe physical reality with as high a degree of accuracy as possible using observation and experiment. This precludes any invlovment of the supernatural and any dogma, by definition.

Ergo, science can never be a religion.

Edit:

Cold Iron;159259 said:

Also, this is the second time you have tried to flex educational superiority in this discussion. Firstly, it's irrelevent. Secondly, it's embarassing. If you need to appeal to your credentials to make a point, you appear threatened.

Its far from irrelvant. Try turning up at CERN and asking for a job with no science education. You'll be laughed out. Its no less relevant than a degree in medicine if you want to be a doctor. You have to know what youre talking about to have a relevant opinion. Theres no way around that. You cant just barge into a ward and contradict prescritions because you disagree and, surely, all opinions have the same merit!

What makes you think this is any different? Youre talking about science with scientists. Its very big of Postherds to make out that its DM and me that shes aluding to her experience for (very kind of you, Postherds, but you make plenty good points and yours and DMs knowledge of physics in general is a few years fresher than mine!), but I think its you thats threatened or you wouldnt have even batted an eyelid, let alone lifted fingers in response.

I do agree though that you should be abe to make your point clear and understood without quoting qualifications, but thats entirely a different thing than saying experience and knowledge of a field are irrelevant to its discussion, which is frankly stupid.

Edit 2: I dont mean to pick on you, CI! Your posts are just what I picked up on fastest, theres lots more to say but like brood, I dont care that much (hence the frequent extended absences) *shrugs* Still buddies? Good man!

#392 Guest_potsherds_*

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:22 PM

Agraba;159380 said:

@Potsherds (or another astronomy major): I'm doing my 2nd year undergrad as a physics major, but not as an astronomy major, so I'll ask you, do most physicists suggest that there was absolutely no existance before the Big Bang? One of my profs told us of a famous analogy referring to the universe as the "ultimate free lunch", suggesting that all this could have come from absolutely zero energy (i.e. nothing) because the positive energy things attain in mass and speed counterbalance the negative energy attained by loss of potential from the center of the universe, as it expands. I was quite perplexed by that, though, and barely convinced (perhaps because of my lack of understanding). It suggests that the center of the universe is the ultimate repulsion force, because that's the only way that things can gain energy from diverting away from it. But then that would suggest to me that it will be impossible for the universe to collapse one day, but that is the running theory. Is the "ultimate free lunch" a popular theory?

Whoa!!! Agraba...that's full of incorrect statements....

Ok, I'll try to address the obvious flaws...
1) Any physicist or astrophysicist who suggests anything about what was pre-Big Bang is just making stuff up. There's no way to know. All information was destroyed. There is no evidence left from pre-Big Bang, nothing to measure, nothing to observe. There is no.way.to.know.
2) The Universe is isotropic and homogenous. These two characteristics together mean there is no 'center' to the Universe.
3) The running theory is absolutely, positively NOT that the Universe will one day collapse. In the Lambda-CDM model, the one that seems to best describes the Universe we live in, we're currently in the epoch where vacuum energy is the dominate energy. This energy is likely what is fueling the current acceleration of the expansion of the Universe. At present, it is well understood that there simply isn't enough matter in the Universe to cause a gravitational collapse. The Universe will end by expanding indefinitely and slowing growing cold.

#393 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:38 PM

D Man;159418 said:

Remove the supernatural from religion.

What do you have left?

Ritual.

Science has no rituals, per se. There are repetative tasks and procedures that have to be followed, but the object is indeed the object, not the state of mind of the participants (though objectivity helps when you come round to interpreting them, but there are no rituals involved in thinking objectively).

So if we supplant the supernatural of religion with the natural of science, which we are well into the process of doing, what are we left with? Rituals. Like going to the pub, dating, sports, work, art. Naturalistic ritual.

But thats clearly not religion.

Why?

The focus of religions rituals are supernatural beings and religious activities are enforced dogmatically.

Science is the process of constructing models to describe physical reality with as high a degree of accuracy as possible using observation and experiment. This precludes any invlovment of the supernatural and any dogma, by definition.

Ergo, science can never be a religion.

Thank you for the discussion of ritual, it was fun to read, if a little irrelevant. Just to clear up what seems to be a difficult concept, by religion, i mean a belief system, and my claim is that by taking scientifically verifiable information (like evolution and the big bang), and inferring unscientifically verifiable conclusions, (like life and the universe came about by chance) violates the fundamental concept of science. People who choose to believe in unscientifically verifiable conclusions because they believe they are inferred by science, are making of science a belief system, in the same way that religion is a belief system.

Your assertion that religion must involve ritual, supernatural and dogma is demonstrably false. If you need me to do so, please ask.

Its far from irrelvant. Try turning up at CERN and asking for a job with no science education. You'll be laughed out. Its no less relevant than a degree in medicine if you want to be a doctor. You have to know what youre talking about to have a relevant opinion. Theres no way around that. You cant just barge into a ward and contradict prescritions because you disagree and, surely, all opinions have the same merit!

What makes you think this is any different? Youre talking about science with scientists. Its very big of Postherds to make out that its DM and me that shes aluding to her experience for (very kind of you, Postherds, but you make plenty good points and yours and DMs knowledge of physics in general is a few years fresher than mine!), but I think its you thats threatened or you wouldnt have even batted an eyelid, let alone lifted fingers in response.

I do agree though that you should be abe to make your point clear and understood without quoting qualifications, but thats entirely a different thing than saying experience and knowledge of a field are irrelevant to its discussion, which is frankly stupid.

Edit 2: I dont mean to pick on you, CI! Your posts are just what I picked up on fastest, theres lots more to say but like brood, I dont care that much (hence the frequent extended absences) *shrugs* Still buddies? Good man!

Don't worry about picking on me, I love this stuff, and much of the way I phrase my words is intended to... shall i say... inspire debate. :)

As for the relevancy of your qualifications, if you somehow got me confused with the HR manager at CERN, I assure you, I'm not. This is a discussion between peers and as you so valiantly conceded, we should be able to make our points without quoting qualifications. Remember, some of the people in the ID video had scientific qualifications too.

#394 User is offline   D Man 

• High Fist

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:10 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp...66731&dict=CALD

Its a weird and wonderfull world out there, and I'm sure you can find exceptions, but the accepted norm is clear. Lets save talk about outliers for another day.

And cheers for the rep, most gentlemanly of you! Let the fun continue!

Edit:

Oh, yeah, this is interesting.

scientifically verifiable information (like evolution and the big bang), and inferring unscientifically verifiable conclusions, (like life and the universe came about by chance) violates the fundamental concept of science

What about, say, force? Y'know, good old F=Ma? scientifically verifiable information would be a: acceleration. You see that. You dont see force. You infer force. You feel acceleration. You dont feel force. See general relativity and the principle of equivelance for explanation that you can feel acceleration without force. Gravitational 'force' in particular, it turns out, doesnt exist, its 'really' spacetime curvature and accelerations through curved space.

Is force scientifically unverifiable?

Edit 2:

People who choose to believe in unscientifically verifiable conclusions because they believe they are inferred by science, are making of science a belief system, in the same way that religion is a belief system.

I see what you mean, but thats just touting sciences conclusions. Thats not science. When I talk about science I'm talking as much about the doing of it as anything: practice of the scientific method. Its impossible to make that into a religion, since its anti-dogma and anti-supernatural (you have to be able to think, take in new data and create new models and always within the bounds of objective reality).

So perhaps 'science' as a set of 'teachings', if you like, can be made into something of a religion. But I dont think so: it lacks the imposition of purpose on natural events and the behavioural manipulation. These strike me as crucial to religion.

'Science' as a mode of thought cant be religious. It can be numinous, yes, but not religious.

#395 User is offline   Agraba 

• Emperor

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:12 AM

Excuse me, Dman, even though I'm on the atheist side of this debate, you don't seem to understand what CI is saying. Just telling yourself that God doesn't exist is not a valid interference of proven scientific ideas like evolution and big bang, so making such a conclusion is still taken on faith and lacks its own evidence, and thus, is the same thing as taking religious theology on faith (without all the rituals). Therefore you can not call it a scientific conclusion that God doesn't exist, or else your hypothetical "science" isn't actually a science, but it's just as good as a religion (if not technically so, since it doesn't involve rituals and the like). "Force" is obviously a mathematical term that we made up in order to model physical situations, and we've found empyrically that the F=MA model works out in all situations, but F still doesn't exist, even though mass and acceleration both exist. (Actually, acceleration doesn't exactly exist either, it's also our made up term, but both distance and time exist, and derivatives are a valid tool for us to model the universe.) But assuming that God doesn't exist is not an empirically correct model like MA is.

@DM: Thank you for that page. But have you heard of the free lunch theory? It's just a theory, but it seems to be popular among scientists. It doesn't contradict known facts about the Big Bang, it's just a theory that's generally liked, if not accepted.

#396 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:50 AM

D Man;159478 said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp...66731&dict=CALD

Its a weird and wonderfull world out there, and I'm sure you can find exceptions, but the accepted norm is clear. Lets save talk about outliers for another day.

I'm not just talking about outliers. Modern protestantism is virtually ritual free, buddhism is virtually supernatural free, and Scientology virtually dogma free. (Ok, scientology is hardly mainstream, but its one of the biggest of the small fries).

What about, say, force? Y'know, good old F=Ma? scientifically verifiable information would be a: acceleration. You see that. You dont see force. You infer force. You feel acceleration. You dont feel force. See general relativity and the principle of equivelance for explanation that you can feel acceleration without force. Gravitational 'force' in particular, it turns out, doesnt exist, its 'really' spacetime curvature and accelerations through curved space.

Is force scientifically unverifiable?

Come on, in the list of scientifically verifiable things I put evolution and the big bang. Obviously the sphere of what i'm including in scientifically verifiable goes outside just things that are directly observable. By scientifically unverifiable (thanks for the correction, i said unscientifically verifiable before) I mean things like how the universe got here, how life started, why does the universe have these particular values for cosmological constants. Things that are usually answered (by scientists as well as lay persons) with chance or the anthropic principle

I see what you mean, but thats just touting sciences conclusions. Thats not science. When I talk about science I'm talking as much about the doing of it as anything: practice of the scientific method. Its impossible to make that into a religion, since its anti-dogma and anti-supernatural (you have to be able to think, take in new data and create new models and always within the bounds of objective reality).

So perhaps 'science' as a set of 'teachings', if you like, can be made into something of a religion. But I dont think so: it lacks the imposition of purpose on natural events and the behavioural manipulation. These strike me as crucial to religion.

'Science' as a mode of thought cant be religious. It can be numinous, yes, but not religious.

Thanks for the concession. I don't need to argue semantics with you, the point ive been trying to make isnt that science can be a full fledged religion, more that the only way you can argue that science completely nullifies religion is if you treat it like one by putting faith in it. If you do this then you're contradicting the process that gives science its validity and legitimacy.

We live in an age and a culture where we have a vastly better understanding of our universe than ever before. But to have the opinion that traditional wisdom warrants no attention or consideration simply because it is no longer possible to believe in the same things that our predecessors did is, in my not-so-humble opinion, juvenile, naive and detrimental to future generations.

#397 User is offline   D Man 

• High Fist

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:11 AM

First off, whats an empirically correct model? Find one, theres a nobel prize waiting for you.

Second, acceleration is perfectly observable, as are, obviously, its constituents distance and time. Force is not. Thats was kinda the point...

Third, I never tried to scientifically disprove God. Ever, actually. In this thread I've espoused Gods redundancy in the beginning and development of life, and maybe the universe, I forget now (its been known, and these threads sort of blur together) and the contradiction of allowing supernatural entities into physical models.

I think its you that got the wrong end of the stick, mate. You may have better elucidated CIs case, though. I didnt realise people were taking the escewing of using any supernatural intervention to explain a physical thing as me offering an actual scientific substitute. There are some, but theyre unproven (abiogenesis in its various forms).

Oh, and on what you were talking about before: free lunch universe; this is one of those things that I couldve said but CI distracted me! consider this: you cant say anything about what 'before' the universe was, but you can say some things that it wasnt. For example, a normal singularity is finite in space and infinite in time, right? But the big bang one was different: it was infinite in space (extended through all of it) but finite in time. Which means that time is finite, starting at the big bang. i.e. the whole universe was infinitely curved so experienced no time until it started to expand.

Now consider causality. What do you need for one thing to cause another? Three things.

1. Energy
2. Conservation of energy
3. Time

You need energy to be passed along, a law to say that it will be and time for one event to follow another in.

Which means that in the fashion we understand causality, as one of this universes most fundamental properties (at this scale: QM dances around CoE rather gracefully, and be glad it does or you wouldnt be here) the universe cant have been caused because time didnt exist for anything to happen in. You can have all the extra-universal energy you want, but it cant do any work on anything else, including the 'pre'-big bang universe.

And as for conservation of energy...well, like I said, that property of this universe doesnt even hold in this universe. What makes you think it would be around 'before' it to start it?

#398 Guest_potsherds_*

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:21 AM

Cold Iron;159500 said:

Thanks for the concession. I don't need to argue semantics with you, the point ive been trying to make isnt that science can be a full fledged religion, more that the only way you can argue that science completely nullifies religion is if you treat it like one by putting faith in it. If you do this then you're contradicting the process that gives science its validity and legitimacy.

I'll say again, you are operating on the assumption that 'some' of us pesky science folks are advocating that people replace religion with science. I've never said that and neither has D Man. What we both agree on is that western science and western religion both operate by two vastly different dichotomies, and to simultaneously accept the tenants of science and the scientific method, and also blindly accept a religion with a personal god, is...puzzling, to say the least.

Cold Iron said:

We live in an age and a culture where we have a vastly better understanding of our universe than ever before. But to have the opinion that traditional wisdom warrants no attention or consideration simply because it is no longer possible to believe in the same things that our predecessors did is, in my not-so-humble opinion, juvenile, naive and detrimental to future generations.

Can you more clearly explain the extent of 'consideration' you think we should give outdated ideas? I was nearly about to post that we fundamentally disagree on this issue, but then realized I may be reading it too harshly. You can PM me though, if you'd like to keep this thread part-way on topic.

#399 User is offline   D Man 

• High Fist

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:25 AM

CI: A very quick respose before I go to bed:

We have very different views of 'virtually'. I dont think weekly service attendance for a few hours, sending your kids to sunday school, bell-ringing, hymn singing and tea with the vicar are virtually not rituals, nor is reincarnation virtually not supernatural and theten levels, causes and methods to enhancment thereof not dogmatic.

Ive said a little on para 2 already, have fun.

Para 3 depends very much on your definition of faith. Is it faith that when I click 'post quick reply' my typing will be stored on ME forum servers? Or that I'm not going to fly off into space due to a sudden local gravity failure?

And I dont think bronze age social teachings, theologies or mythologies are all that much good these days. Some still have merit (edit: social stuff and a little mythology: people dont change all that much, but my oh my is society different!), but I for one am glad that poeple arent killed for wearing garments of mixed fabric, for example.

We have these mythologies now precisely because people were so stupid then: someone said some shit, no one knew better so lots of people belived it. Nowadays, as Sam Harris says, we persist with these insane ideas of divine observers that created the universe and filled our home with stuff that kills us, but love us, guide our lives, that we talk to (!!!!) but only meet when we die (how convenient) because "There is sanity in numbers".

#400 Guest_potsherds_*

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:29 AM

D Man, we are definitely reading the same sources.
No wonder our arguments are somewhat similar. I shall endeavor to be more careful about cross-posting with you, as we're likely to have somewhat similar posts. :)

Share this topic:

• 69 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

10 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users