• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Creation Vs Evolution

#261 Guest_Chewy_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 15 November 2006 - 05:04 AM

Cause;134466 said:

@chewy-that and it does not really matter. It wont disporve evolution

What are you saying? You agree or disagree with the summation that Transitional organisms in the fossil record are not found because they are too rare? Just checking?

#262 Guest_Chewy_*

Posted 15 November 2006 - 05:23 AM

D Man;128750 said:

On gaps in the fossil record...

They arent in contradiction with evolution at all.

Yes, there must be some degree of graduation between one species and another, but how this happens involves more than just a series of mutations.

I'll explain.

Re-read reply. Conclusion: Fossil evidence of change is rare. (didn't put it all here)

@DM Am I wrong in conclusion?

#263 Guest_Chewy_*

Posted 15 November 2006 - 06:28 AM

D Man;128643 said:

Proof of descent:]
In the fossil record and modern life we see plenty of this, and what we see is in contradiction with the idea of a designer.
We can trace all inherited characteristics down lines of ancestry and chart development. Its true of absolutely all biological phenomenon: for one life form to have it, its mum and dad had to.

Your evidence of descent is similarity. "Children are like their parents". Evidence? Or conclusion? I say conclusion.

Genetics has discovered natural barriers to change. Chromosome pairs. Wrong number - deadly to children.

Fruit fly experiments. All mutations bad and only a limited number, same ones repeated over and over. These tests were abandoned. They did not provide an observation of a mechanism that could account for genetic changes. We were all taught that these experiments provided conclusive proof. Now abandoned because they failed to provide proof. Other "proofs" have been abandoned but we were told at the time we had "the proof".

#264 Guest_Chewy_*

Posted 15 November 2006 - 06:31 AM

stone monkey;134620 said:

Actually no. You're wrong.

Explain?

#265 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:32 AM

@Chewy - you should be perfectly able to write one, rather than four following posts.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#266 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:05 AM

Chewy;134914 said:

Your evidence of descent is similarity. "Children are like their parents". Evidence? Or conclusion? I say conclusion.

Genetics has discovered natural barriers to change. Chromosome pairs. Wrong number - deadly to children.

Fruit fly experiments. All mutations bad and only a limited number, same ones repeated over and over. These tests were abandoned. They did not provide an observation of a mechanism that could account for genetic changes. We were all taught that these experiments provided conclusive proof. Now abandoned because they failed to provide proof. Other "proofs" have been abandoned but we were told at the time we had "the proof".

well its alot better than that. Complementarity of dna base pairs allows for 'spell checking'. Even if dna mutates, theirs a good chance your dna will catch it and say hell no. Than we have a degenerate code for translation from RNA to amino acids. Mutations might not even change the amino acid they represent, even if they do that change might be conservative. Isoleucine for leucine. Well the world wont explode if that happens But remeber most mutations as you point out are bad. They are not guided, they are pure random statistical chance. Having nucleotides randomly substituted is not a good thing and funnily enough organisms have elvoved to do their best to halt evolution. When your a human being with 6.4 billion base pairs haing them randomly change is not a good thing. A simply flaw in your fructose-6-phosphatase enzyme will create flux problems in your entire multi trillion cellular strcutures metabolism. But a virus 200 killi bases big. Well if that protomer for its capsid is changed by twen bases, Who cares. It wont effect much. If it works great it works. If it works better it will outcompete the others and new supervirus. if it does not work. Well few billion cells with a burst number of 500 after infection. It does not really make a diffrence if 20% experience failed mutations. Well still get a few trillion cells. A 1000%increase in population.

And please Im intrested in your thoughts to the above

#267 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderatio

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:47 PM

Of course you could just try and ban evolution altogether...

@ Chewy - Do you actually read my posts?

If we're going to be pedantic; the fossils are rare, this says nothing about how rare the organisms were in life. For all we know there could have been flocks of millions of Archaeopteryx, like Passenger Pigeons, the fossils are very rare however...

Also, as Mezla has pointed out (whom, it should be noted, researches this sort of thing for a living) there really isn't any such thing as a transitional organism.

*sigh* Okay, I'll make it simple.

Of course children resemble their parents, that's where (the only place) they get their genetic material from! Therefore examination of that genetic material provides you with evidence for what their ancestors were like. And how they differ from their descendants. The geological record provides you with more evidence as to why that is the case.

All mutations arent bad, the vast majority of them don't make any difference. Of the remaining ones, most are bad. Very obviously, this implies that some are good. This fact leads you, fairly inescapably IMO, to the supposition that, in the real world, most organisms would have very specific error checking mechanisms in place to discourage mutation. Which actually turns out to be the case.

BTW in human children an extra chromosome pair (in one case) leads to Down's Syndrome, which isn't deadly at all. Most of the really dangerous genetic diseases would appear to be due transcription errors (repeated base sequences etc.) Some of these cause the embryo to spontaneously abort - I know this from experience as my family has a tendancy towards a genetic disorder that causes malformation of fetal bone deposits, my sister has lost 3 pregnancies (that I'm aware of) to this.

As for the fruit fly experiments; I hate to rain on your parade, but they continue to this day all over the world.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#268 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:38 PM

I'd like to note that evolution is a scientific subject which requires a base level of knowledge before you can make legitimate statements about it. Some people here have that background, and some do not.

This is why "I don't understand so it's not true" or "it doesn't make sense so it's not true" are weak lines of argument. You don't understand because you don't understand, not because it's false.

#269 User is offline   D Man 

• High Fist

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:46 PM

Chewy;134911 said:

Re-read reply. Conclusion: Fossil evidence of change is rare. (didn't put it all here)

@DM Am I wrong in conclusion?

Well, stricktly speaking youre right. Its rare. Thats true.

But thats a overly simple conclusion. The point is that gaps in the fossil record are predicted by and support evolution. We dont expect to see continuous change in the fossil record from our current understanding. We expect to see sudden jumps.

Edit:

Chewy;134914 said:

Evidence:

We see that offspring inherit characteristics from parents every time parents reproduce and from nowhere else:

Conclusion:

All Characteristics are inherited.

The italiced words are the logical connection between the evidence (every observed natural reproduction) and the conclusion (that all others are the same).

The implicit additional conclusion is that no genetic material has arrived in a life form by anything other than means of normal inheritance. This includes mutations, of course. And therefore excludes God.

FYI there are an average of about 300 mutations between a parent and an offspring in mammals.

To hijack a religious argument (if evolution is true then why arent monkeys turning into people now): if god created life, and he has wiped out 99.9% of species that have lived (its a fact that 99.9% of species that have lived dont today) then why isnt he making more species spring into existance before our eyes?

To modify that argument for the theist or deist that thinks the current state of life has arrisen due to the guidance of an intelligence: why do we not see a beneficial mutation or structure in one life form transfer to another line of descent that could use it now that the designer has developed the adaptation? The designer knows the benefit it would bring, and like every car manufacturer could see the advantage of windshield wipers and add them when they saw them rather than wait till they thought of them themselves, a designer of life could interchange characterstics outside of the confines of lines of descent.

We dont see this, and we see lots of descent.

If life is designed, the designer has gone to an awfull lot of trouble to make it look like it evoloved.

#270 Guest_Chewy_*

Posted 04 December 2006 - 02:31 AM

D Man;140065 said:

Well, stricktly speaking youre right. Its rare. Thats true.

But thats a overly simple conclusion. The point is that gaps in the fossil record are predicted by and support evolution. We dont expect to see continuous change in the fossil record from our current understanding. We expect to see sudden jumps.

Edit:

Evidence:

We see that offspring inherit characteristics from parents every time parents reproduce and from nowhere else:

Conclusion:

All Characteristics are inherited.

The italiced words are the logical connection between the evidence (every observed natural reproduction) and the conclusion (that all others are the same).

The implicit additional conclusion is that no genetic material has arrived in a life form by anything other than means of normal inheritance. This includes mutations, of course. And therefore excludes God.

FYI there are an average of about 300 mutations between a parent and an offspring in mammals.

To hijack a religious argument (if evolution is true then why arent monkeys turning into people now): if god created life, and he has wiped out 99.9% of species that have lived (its a fact that 99.9% of species that have lived dont today) then why isnt he making more species spring into existance before our eyes?

To modify that argument for the theist or deist that thinks the current state of life has arrisen due to the guidance of an intelligence: why do we not see a beneficial mutation or structure in one life form transfer to another line of descent that could use it now that the designer has developed the adaptation? The designer knows the benefit it would bring, and like every car manufacturer could see the advantage of windshield wipers and add them when they saw them rather than wait till they thought of them themselves, a designer of life could interchange characterstics outside of the confines of lines of descent.

We dont see this, and we see lots of descent.

If life is designed, the designer has gone to an awfull lot of trouble to make it look like it evoloved.

:wave:
Yes, I have read your posts. Not sure if everyone does though. Doesn't mean I understood or agreed. Or that I'm going to respond to it all. Not enough time in life!

You repeat the assumption that I don't buy. That similarity in structure means they are descended. I think though that I'm tired of this thread. Didn't answer my questions. Why is it so hard to think that a creator cannot make things similar? Why is it so hard to believe that life comes from pre-existing life? A creator.

What you may not be seeing in my posts is the bigger question. For instance: Photosynthesis is one of the basics for life on earth. It involves extremely complex functions that involve at least 70 chemical processes. I actually happen to think that it is evolution that looks at it too simplified. We have amazingly complex systems that are only partly and often mistakenly understood in nature that are supposed to have happened with no intelligent designer. That some mechanisms can be explained does not mean that nobody could have designed them. The fact that we can have a huge scientific community that is continually finding more and more complexities of living things. Science has really just been copying nature, or finding out how to manipulate what has already been done in nature.

Wow. We have had to use our intelligence to get this far. We have to study in depth to try to begin to understand the complexitlies and interconnections and see the logical reasons for things functioning the way they do and yet the actual real things do not require intelligence to perform their natural function? We can't even duplicate the processes that take place. Sure, we isolate and manipulate. This is a far cry from making it work! We can't come up with a new living thing. Even if we did, we would have to intelligently draw up a plan to do it. What new "fly" or insect has been created from fruit fly experiments? Gene slicing has shown just how orderly and structured living things are. There is very little chaos in nature. Its organized and its rules are clearly defined. We can't break them, we have to conform to them.

The amino acids that Cause mentions are in themselves amazingly complex little structures. There's a definite order and structure that they have to follow. The problem of chirality. Chance creates equal amounts of left and right. Nature produces one kind only. The problem of sexual reproduction. You have to have both sexes and they have to know how to do it for it to work. All these things say to me that they came together under the oversight of an intelligence.

I'm a computer programmer (although presently unemployed as a programmer:( for some years now). When you start breaking down a process into its basic parts, you realize that if something is missing, the whole thing fails or does what it shouldn't. It doesn't get fixed by chance, nor can it fix itself. It needs someone with intelligence and no-how to fix it. To use his knowledge to find the piece that doesn't work and fix it. No computer program could ever happen by chance. This website was conceptualized and designed and no doubt had to be tweeked and fixed. No computer program could ever approach the complexity of the simplest living thing. I do not accept that a computer program can happen by chance. Therefore I do not accept that the far more intricate and complex processes in nature could happen without intelligent forthought and design. Not possible.

This thread has only verified what I believe. The explanations have been insufficient. Even the explanations I've read are sometimes contradictory. We don't find contradictions in incontrifutable truisms.

#271 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 04 December 2006 - 09:45 AM

The explanations are insiuffiecient because you cant and wont understand them.

Your entirer argument above is one of ignorance and personal convictions coloured by your personal beliefs. I cant accpet that a computer program cant write itself? Well no one cares what you can or cant accept. Prove it or disporove it. You cant accpet that life can happen without an inteliigent designer. Well than Im sure we will adjust the entire field of science to accomedate your view.

#272 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 04 December 2006 - 07:21 PM

@Chewy - There have been studies of simulating life in computer programs, starting with a simple asexual-behaving 'lifeform', which breeds and spreads and adapts into predators, parasites and proper gendered sexes all without any intervention. Multiple times.

I highly recommend Evolving The Alien by Jack Cohen and Ian Stewart for some interesting reading material - it deals with what aliens could possibly, and plausibly, be like, including variations on DNA (two are expanded on, and there are more) and more exotic ideas, like magnetic vortices in stars (which could encode information and be stable); what aliens won't look like
(grays and Star Trek come to mind) and instances of life on Earth that defy conventional thinking. It's also a cracking read. If you like that, try the Science of Discworld books they did with Pratchett too, especially the first one.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#273 User is offline   D Man 

• High Fist

Posted 04 December 2006 - 07:39 PM

I'd just like to point out you can use programming to simulate evolution quite effectively, but you cant draw an analogy between it and evolution completely.

Programming needs a manufactured substrate: computers and written code.

Evolutions substrate is already all around us: chemisty. It has no problem being self organising. Thats what it does, quite naturally.

#274 Guest_Chewy_*

Posted 05 December 2006 - 04:18 AM

A computer program cannot write itself. A house cannot make itself. A scientific experiment cannot take place without a scientist (or whatever he calls himself.) I don't think you understand those processes yourself or else you would have tried to explain it. A computer program that simulates evolution. No such thing. The designer of the program tells it what to do and it does it. What new "fly" or other creature was created through experiments? Hybrids are common, but they cannot propogate. The evolution model predicts gaps in the fossil record? And thats what we find. The gaps are there becuse of natural selection. OK. The creation model predicts the same gaps for a different reason. The creation model predicts that the kinds of organisms created have variety but do not break the barrier of genetics. No partially formed structures. Is there other eveidence that I haven't heard about? Please provide.

#275 Guest_dough boy_*

Posted 05 December 2006 - 04:25 AM

[QUOTE=stone monkey;139948][URLBTW in human children an extra chromosome pair (in one case) leads to Down's Syndrome, which isn't deadly at all.

Actually, it is deadly. It just depends on the severity of Down's- but many babies who survive can only do so b/c of medical intervention. ON it's own, it can be quite deadly, and many die at an early age. Complications from Down's affects almost every organ.

#276 Guest_Chewy_*

Posted 05 December 2006 - 04:45 AM

[QUOTE=dough boy;141636][QUOTE=stone monkey;139948][URLBTW in human children an extra chromosome pair (in one case) leads to Down's Syndrome, which isn't deadly at all.

Actually, it is deadly. It just depends on the severity of Down's- but many babies who survive can only do so b/c of medical intervention. ON it's own, it can be quite deadly, and many die at an early age. Complications from Down's affects almost every organ.[/QUOTE]

We assume that Down's syndrome is liveable and not that serious. Not so! I have friends with Down's syndrome children. Their lives are a constant battle against medical complications. Without modern medicine most would die shortly after birth.

#277 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 05 December 2006 - 03:18 PM

Chewy;141635 said:

A computer program cannot write itself. A house cannot make itself. A scientific experiment cannot take place without a scientist (or whatever he calls himself.) I don't think you understand those processes yourself or else you would have tried to explain it. A computer program that simulates evolution. No such thing. The designer of the program tells it what to do and it does it. What new "fly" or other creature was created through experiments? Hybrids are common, but they cannot propogate. The evolution model predicts gaps in the fossil record? And thats what we find. The gaps are there becuse of natural selection. OK. The creation model predicts the same gaps for a different reason. The creation model predicts that the kinds of organisms created have variety but do not break the barrier of genetics. No partially formed structures. Is there other eveidence that I haven't heard about? Please provide.

The Creation model predicts gaps in the fossil record????

The Creation model doesn't even predict fossils.

#278 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderatio

Posted 05 December 2006 - 04:30 PM

I stand corrected, although your inference was that it was always instantly fatal...Which ain't actually the case.

ps. re Evolutionary simulations: if a programmer were to tell the computer what do do at each and every step of the way, there'd be no point them writing the program in the first place, would there? What you appear not to understand about simulations is that even though the parameters are known (as they're usually initially defined) the results obtained are not necessarily predicatable.

The reason no new creatures have been created through evolutionary simulations because they're simulations.

Your main argument here seeems to be what's known as the Argument From Design (or The Watchmaker Hypothesis) which assumes, as you do that because something is complex in form it has to have been designed by an intelligence. I might point out here that snowflakes are rather complicated in form but no one's suggesting that each and every one of them has been individually sculpted by hand, when in fact we know they exist only as a result of a bunch of dynamic chemical and physical processes.

An interesting aside here for you biblical literalists is the so-called Omphalos question; that is, did Adam or Eve, for that matter) have a navel? (unlike myself - don't get excited, I lost mine as the result of a hernia operation when I was a toddler) It's more interesting than you think; if they did, why? We do know what navels are for and, given their supposed origins, neither Adam nor Eve would have need of one...So what point would there be in creating them with something that was of no use to them?
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#279 User is offline   D Man 

• High Fist

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:54 PM

Chewy;141635 said:

Computers dont make themselves. But chemicals are already there. Codes dont write themselves. But chemicals rearrange themselves. Bricks dont organise themselve. But chemicals organise themselves.

Analogoes are OK, if youre carefull, to help along understanding. But evolution is not computer programming, evolution is not civil construction, evolution has no objective.

Its not these things. It has commonality with them: it increases local order. Nothing more. Stop understanding evolution in terms of other things and you might understand it.

#280 User is offline   The Rope 

• Fist

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:31 PM

Where do the processes come from? Where do the chemicals come from?
Are you familiar with lego bricks? They come in sets, and you have to assemble them. Every piece in the set is important to the overall design.
Take every piece, toss them in a box, and jumble it al together. Let me know what kind of design you get.

Share this topic:

• 69 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users