• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shifts of power

#1 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 September 2006 - 01:17 PM

Right, a new rpg, new possibilities :p .. I hope we'll all have fun and turn this into a great rpg. This thread is only for actual rpg posts. Discussions etc should still take place in the other thread.

I thought to start light with a fairly -at least for now- inconsequential story. I'll be introducing events etc as we go along, making things as interesting as possible I hope. Good luck :morgoth:

---------------------------

All the stories his granfather had told him. All the things he’d fantasised about with his friends, all the rumours shared by the sailors. Nothing of that could have prepared him for what he faced when stepping of the ship, onto the solid ground of the royal pier. In front of him, devouring his vision, stretched kilometres of solid, polished black stone. If concentrating he could barely make out the tiny silouets of people waiting at the most distant gateways, milling around like fleas, almost indistinguishable from the dark background. Houses seemingly the size of the toy houses of his younger sisters stretched along the piers, a small town in fact, though it looked nothing else than a badly concived joke from where he was standing. It was only when he lifted his gaze to try to find the top of the cliff and could not, that he realised that nothing was unaturaly small here. They were just dwarfed by the monstrosity of stone and dark that rose up behind them. For the first time during his journey, Lorii was overcome by doubt and perhaps –though he would never admitt it, even to himself- terror at what he’d promised to do.

They had come in the first hours of the morning, breaking down the door, killing the few guards Lorii’s family legaly could employ. It had only taken a few minutes and then they were gone, as were –they soon discovered- Lorii’s two sisters. Everything went downhill from that point.

It quickly turned out that the assailants had been in the employee of House Zenzil, a relatively minor house but nevertheless much more powerfull than Lorii’s own merchant family. His family had recently been growing in influence and power as their new clockwork designs became more and more known. It was generally agreed that if they kept things going as they were, they would soon be able to buy themselves the right to form a house for themselves and thus enjoy the legal and military benefits that came with it. Those who would lose the most from such an event though, were the members of House Zenzil which was the only house with any major holdings in the region. Therefore, the Zenzil’s decided to stop the problem in its infancy. The sole purpose of the raid was to gain a barganing chip. Something that would force Lorii’s father to hand over all his plans, all his drawings, all his prototypes, effectively handing to House Zenzil the family’s very basis for further growth.

Lorii’s father had tried everything to get his daughter back. He’d appealed to the greater houses, he’d gone through the courts. But against a House, there was little he could do. When the regional court turned him down, that was when Lorii stood up and appealed for the right to bring his familys case up for the council. There was little more to be done. He was granted a year to reach the council and plead his case. During this time, House Zenzil would have to treat their hostages in the best manner possibly. But if he failed, all gloves would be off.

All this circulating within his mind, Lorii approached the very center of the wall, were the royal stairs strecthed up into infinity. He knew he could climb it, his was the entrances along the wall on each side of him. His path would go through the labyrinth and if Justice wanted it, he would reach the council and make them free his sisters. He was sixteen, already a man, and he would not fail his family.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#2 Guest_Maknavox_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 01 October 2006 - 04:56 PM

OOC: just a shot in the dark morgoth.

Oww and were all in the council right? 1 of each house/family?
=================================

Intas walked down the stairs, remembering the honor behind it. "Emperors white beard be blessed, these stair are going to kill me"
He was contemplating about what he and the Emperor talked about. Intas had tried to move the Emperor to act himself instead of letting the council decide. The emperor had sat unmoving, looked Intas in eyes and told him to simply... wait
"Wait" Intas wispered again. What use was waiting when a armada of ships could attack any day. The Empire needed defences and it needed them fast.
The failed campaigns in the north had cost the the Empire lots wealth and men.
When Intas reached the end of the stairs he saw a young man standing at the entrance of the Labyrinth. Interesting. He walked up to the young man. "I hope your cause is just"
The young man turned and stared Intas right in the eyes. Bold and unmoving.
"My cause is need"
"Then i bid you a save journey" For some reason Intas liked the young man. But he had no time to hear more. He needed to send word to the south to Chenagga. My country must be save from the sea. Chenagga will have to put gold aside to build and rebuild the coast line, im not going to wait until the council would make a choice.
Intas stopped. Turned, started walking and stood face to face with the young man again. "Young man" Intas said "Might that i would know your face"
"Lorii, my lord"
"Well, Lorii, I will grant you two gifts" Intas took out a piece of paper and wrote Lorii on it.
"Take this to the guards, it will give you leave to use the stairs." Intas smiled at the young mans expression.
"Thank you my lord"
"My second gift is advice"
"Advice my lord?"
"Yes" Intas his smile broadend "Dont use the stairs"
"Pardon my lord?"
"The council will respect you more when you take the labyrinth instead of the stairs"
The young man gave the permission slip back and walked towards the Labyrint, steady and without a doubt.
Intas sighted All rulers hate need, they boy needs to make his case sound just and compell the Council to hear it.
Intas walked into the city. He needed to send a very pivate message to his home, and he knew just the man to trust.

#3 Guest_KaL_*

Posted 02 October 2006 - 08:47 AM

Teis paused as he stared up the stairs leading to the capital. He could hear the armour of his token guards grating to a halt behind him. Turning to face his lead guardsman, a man scarely older then himself but with a face far more battle scarred,
"Oh, how did I forget about these god awful stairs, a pox on the man who's wretched heart did concieve this most exhausting concept," Teis groaned as his men nervously scanned the area. Assasins lurked around every corner or so his dear younger brother Uroto had believed else he would not have sparred the score of their best to covertly shuttle Teis to his rightful seat in the council.

His sisters death had shocked him far less the Uroto, for while many harboured the notation that an elaborate assasination had taken place, Teis believed his sisters addiction to Paracas and ever constant mixing of the stimulant with ever more wine (a most hazardous concocution) had left her with a fleeting notation that she had been gifted wings by some divine power. Now he would have to take her place and this frightened him for all her vices Reia had been a far more then adequete ruler and had pulled the house from the gutter sadly now it tottered on the cobblestones eager to sink back.

Briefly his mind flickered to the current issue of the nochalant fleet in the harbour and considered whether any envoys had been sent. Clearly should that fleet attack now the Capital would be serverly damaged but every moment waited meant greater times for preperation. Perhaps the intruders were simply waiting for someone to acknowledge them.

Glancing over at his men, covered with the dusts of the road, their armour a dull grey had chipped slightly revealing hints of the green that was their true nature, "Marago, ready the men, we begin our climb to the top".

Spareing the briefiest of glances to a fellow councilmen conversing with a youth he began the arduious climb.

#4 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 October 2006 - 12:11 PM

“Rise Sebastian”
Sebastian Ryker dresses as was usual in his bright red lacquered armour wearing a grey tabard with the symbol of the empire on the chest began to rise from his kneeling position. Sebastians mind was racing with the correct way to broach the issue. He had not come unprepared he had spent hours thinking of what to say and how. But here before his emperor he knew now that something more would be needed to rouse him to action. Sebastian Ryker had barreled his way into this private audience with the emperor to discuss the dangers posed by this new fleet. “My liege this talk of building fleets is nonsense. We have never been a naval power. The enemy must wage war on the ground to conquer us and it is their where we shall be able to meet him on equal terms. My one concern is the capital. The enemies fleet will be able to blockade and lay siege to us here. Preperations must be made. More supplies must be brought in, more men to ensure the cities safety. And forgive me emporer but thought must be given to your safety and that of the councils, it may prove necessary to relocate you and the council lest the empire be left leaderless.”

Sebastian stopped, he had not expected to be allowed to speak for so long without any objections from the emperor but he has showed no reaction. His expression remained calm and unmoving like that of his bodyguards. “I have taken the liberty to prepare the plans my lord. They require only your approval. I have the papers here outlining what legions I believe should be brought in and what preparations made. I also would like to discuss the possibility of contracting House Screlogue to build engines of war to defend the capital. The advantages of the capitals unique geography with enough artillery may be enough to secure it from this unknown fleet”
Sebastian stepped forward to present the plans to the emperor when quick as lightning his flanking bodyguards stepped forward to bar his path.
“Enough Sebastian. I will make no decision without the council present you know this. You may present your proposals through the appropriate channels like everyone else”
“But my lord the next council meeting is not for a fortnight. We have no way of knowing if this fleet will wait that long”
“We have no way of knowing if they are even hostile we will wait Sebastian”
“Yes my lord”

Why would he not act. The greatest threat the empire had faced in generations stood waiting and the empire and emperor were content to wait it out. It was madness. Friendly or hostile the appropriate steps needed to be taken to ensure the safety of the empire. Stepping out into the courtyard in front of the palace Sebastian noted that the guard had changed. He did not think he had been inside so long. He quickly recognised the markings of the unit as that belonging to his brother. He saw an officer step out of line and recognized his brother from the blue flashes of his armour. He walked to greet him.
“Have you heard brother” kyle asked
“Heard what”
“A petitioner entered the labrynth yesterday. The first in a rather long time I would think. Amazing that people still try”
“A petitioner you say”
“What is it brother you look excited”
“I am, I am. I cant explain now we will speak later I must hurry”

If the petitioner made it out of the labyrinth he would earnt the right to claim an emergency meeting of the council to hear his need. It would save weeks of wasted time. He would send Barrack to try find him. His cousin had mapped out parts of the labyrinth to smuggle himself in and out of the capital. After all none could use the stairs without being noticed and that and the labyrinth was the only way. With luck his cousin could do it.

#5 User is offline   councilor 

• High Fist

Posted 02 October 2006 - 11:11 PM

Nathan cursed as he approached the stairs and looked up their seemingly endless heights.

"the bastard who designed these bloody things must have had some sense of humour",he muttered to himself, and wished a painful death to the said bastard.

behind him, his two bodyguard and protoge looked at each other and smiled. they knew what was going through their lord's mind. house screlogue was too poor to hire elite guards for outside the house, so the house lords are usually attended by one or two possible heirs. they were all extremely skilled with the use of knives, swords and other less ornamental weapons. plus, this was a good chance for them to see the workings of the council should they become councilor in the future.

nathan saw the young man from the merchant house enter the labryinth and smiled briefly. he hoped his brother or one of his agents would be able to make contact with the boy before the others could. there would be advangtges to be gained in supporting the formation of a new house, and the loyalty of that new house for their support - house screlogue had never been popular, despite their age and the fact that the other houses needed them. perhaps it was because of that.

looking back at the stairs, nathan's smile faded. no doubt the emperor was going to request the services of their house, especially in the face of this fleet appearing out of nowhere. after all, their spy network was second to none in the empire, and they excelled in assasination as well. the northen wars were going so well until the enemy had figured out why their commanders where all dying from apparently innocent "accidents". still, he was the emperor, and he had more than a few times on the past kept the other houses from their throats.

Groaning once again, Nathan began to climb those stairs he hated so much.
Question:

Does being the only sane person in the world make you insane?

If a tree falls in the woods and a deaf person saw it, does it make a sound?

#6 User is offline   Valgard 

• Bored Microbiologist (not a good combination)

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:29 PM

Althelsaran sat slumped in his chair massaging his forehead. This appearance of the mysterious fleet had been alarming. None of his spies, nor any from the other houses knew who they were or where they were from. The emperor had sat up I his throne room and done nothing.

“What is he doing up there why won’t he take any action.” He shouted to the empty room in frustration.

“Ossa” Althelsaran roared, “get in here now d*mn it”

Ossa entered the room and fell to one knee before Althelsaran.

“You called for me my lord”

“Yes d*mn it what do you have to say about this d*mned fleet blocking the harbour. Is it a danger should we be ready to evacuate the emperor and the other people from the house. Also can these ships travel up the river are our grain barges in danger from them. And stand up you d*mned idiot how often do I have to tell you not to do that.”

“My men have rumours that several small boats have been near to these ships but there is never anyone to be seen it is like they are ghost ships. As to the danger they pose I cannot say but your ship is already prepped just in case and the men are making sure that the passage down there will be kept free should it be necessary. The sailors say that the ships a re ocean going ships so should be able to go too far up the river but they can still reach through to ormsgrad.” Ossa said ignoring the outbursts from Althelsaran.

“Well that is good well done and is there anything else that I should know about whilst I have you hear” Althelsaran sounded slightly mollified by the calm way in which Ossa had handled it

“Well there is one thing my lord some one has entered the labyrinth, some of my men overheard him speaking of bringing a request to the council something about abducted sisters. I believe that both Ryker and Screlogue have an interest in seeing him through.”

“Excellent this is good news maybe finally the emperor will be made to decide something about those bl**dy ships. Now get back to your post and keep your ears open on anything going on I want to be the first to hear about it.”

“Yes my Lord”

This is more like it mused Althelsaran as Ossa left the room now maybe we can as a council decide how to act. I have done all I can called up my guards and got them acting as extra guards on the grain barges. The militias are being called up so that if the emperor does require the man power we can provide.

Now though I must consult with the ancestors as I feel we will need their guidance to survive the times ahead.

#7 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:02 PM

Well, here goes nothing...

--------------------------------------------

The news flew through the air of the mansion, passing from one set of lips to another like a chain of kisses. Purposefully, it snaked towards the ear of Estabo, winding its way from the messenger in the doorway to Falona House's joint leader: Mevidano is returning. The news had brought the scent of what was a very precious commodity at this troubling time: advice. And so it was that, after the necessary paperwork had been sent down and the necessary experience had been sent up, a meeting of minds commenced.

"How was your journey, uncle?" asked Estabo. The refreshments had been served, and now a veil of secrecy had been thrown over the opulent room in which they sat.

?I had to cross Tredenes? land to get out to the straits?which meant secrecy. You know how touchy the Nine get if we don?t ask for their permission before going through their territory. That meant I couldn?t be too picky with my lodgings, so needless to say the journey was a rough one.? Mevidano, among other things, had a fondness for living in luxury when he had the chance, and although he was willing to stifle his wants if the house needed him, he was prone to griping about it. ?When I got to the coastline, I had little trouble buying a boat ? the fishermen are scared of being displaced and are trying to get out of the game while they can. I was able to sail out the ships. There are about 20 and they are massive ? they dwarved the skiff I was sailing, I should imagine they are twice the size of anything the empire has built ? and both their hulls and sails are black. They have an extremely menacing appearance, with many strange and threatening protrudences sticking visible on the sides ? I could not discern their function. I searched for signs of motion on board, and though I didn?t see any clearly I kept thinking that something was moving in the corner of my eye. I stayed out there for as long as I dared, and I was rewarded when, just as I was about to head for home (for it was getting dark) I saw lights emanating from below decks. However, I couldn?t find anyway of getting aboard and they didn?t seem to answer my hails, so I?m afraid I couldn?t make contact with them.
?It was a good plan, Estabo, but it doesn?t look like the fleet is interested in trade. If it were, I think they would be sending smaller ships into the bay with goods to sell. It wasn?t as if we could get a monopoly anyway, what with Kios having the largest trading fleet??

?Can traders still pass through the straits unimpeded? We stand to lose a great deal of revenue if no-one is stopping off in Granido on their way round the cape to Kalitia and the West Coast.?

?For the moment, there hasn?t been any sign of aggression. But I am expecting that to change,? said Mevidano gravely. ?It has occurred to me that this is merely an expeditionary force. Their main fleet is obviously yet to arrive, and from the warlike disposition of the ships I am expecting them to fight. We are going to need a fleet to defend ourselves.?

?An interesting hypothesis, Mevidano. Unfortunately, we are a little short on funds at the moment, so we will be sorely taxed to provide any meaningful fleets. Of course, this is assuming that the Emperor allows us to do anything at all ? he is doing nothing. I don?t know why, we need a fleet to keep supply routes to the Island open. This thinking aloud actually gives me a good idea ? I will have a proposition for the council meeting in a few days.?

Mevidano and Estabo talked long into the night about policy and politics, and in the morning Mevidano prepared once more to leave. He had been given another mission.
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#8 Guest_Maknavox_*

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:15 PM

Lets do the Council meeting on zaturday. So that everybody can post their pieces.

Zembr sat crosslegged on his eating bed, eating and brooding at the same time. A cup of wine close to his hands. He picked it up and drank slowly. The fluid tasted great, as always, but Zembr could not enjoy it. He would talk to Intas before the Council meeting, and Zembr expected a fight. Intas had plans you could better not say out loud. He took another sip and saw Intas enter the dining room.
"Well if it isnt my insane nepnew"
Intas smiled "A good day to you to Zembr. Up and shiny i see?"
"Shiny as always" And Zembr stroke his velvet golden shirt.
The two smiled a nice smile at eachother, knowing they would argue long into the night.
"Sooo.... Any news on your side?" Zembr asked.
"Mevidano entered and exited our lands."
"Yea i heard it. Seems he payed someone a visit."
Intas nodded "And it isnt the Emperor."
"It sure isnt. But gossip is not the reason i asked you to pay me a visit before the Council" Zembr said ever smiling.
"You want me to reconsider? about my coastal project?"
"Bluntly?" Zembr asked.
"Please, i wiry of courtesies"
"Its a stupid plan. It could get us killed, or atleast in a poorhouse"
Intas was silent to those words for a time and poured wine in a second cup. "It will not" He finaly said with a firm voice and took a sip.
"The house will not stand for it" Zembr said, knowing the argument was only half true.
"Chenagga and Three others of the nine are with me. Only four stand against me."
Zembr knew that is was impossible to talk Intas out of a idea. Even a bold one. so he decided to ask him another question. "What are we going to do with the armada of ships and the Council?"
"Other than my personal coastal project?"
"Yes"
"We're going to convince the Council to build a fleet"
"That would be stupid"
"Perhaps it would" Intas said.
Zembr smiled. The night was young, the wine cask was half full and both man would stay up late into the night. Maybe i will convince him to stop his coastal plans. but first we must speak about the fleet

#9 Guest_KaL_*

Posted 06 October 2006 - 12:03 AM

Stumbling slightly the young house ruler and his retinue succeeded in navigating the stairs. Pausing for a moment, some troops leaning against the gateway, Teis addressed Marago "I have noticed several seemingly unblinking eyes" He mumered quickly "I had not thought my brother right but it may seem he was at least somewhat true"
"Indeed Sir" Marago replied just as quickly "We'd be poor soldiers if we'd failed to notice these possible assailants,"

Slowly a small group of men, by Teis's count 9, began to converge on the rulers retiune. "Welcome to our fair Capital" A spokesman of the group proclaimed broadly "A council meeting has been called but you shall not attend it..Teis," The man ended with a sneer. 2 soldiers dropped suddenly qualls protruding from their necks as the attacks suddenly whipped forth crossbows. The remaining guardsmen flung themselves forward closing with the assailants Marago moving beside Teis as they closed on two attackers. The clash of blades rang out through the twilight, he briefly thought how poorly this stealth mission had gone, barely evading a two handed sword slash as it scraped against his armour revealing a streak of green. Teis swung his blade low slashing the mans thigh who jabbed at his helm sending the helm through the air Teis knocked the blade from the air deftly skewering the mans chest who toppled forward a dull moan escaping his lips. Glancing around Teis could see his guardsmen had faired poorly, only Marago and two others still stood battling two remaining assasins one fell as he watched, the last stepping back flinging a knife towards Teis's head, Teis froze as the knife turned impossibly in the air barely touching his cheek. The last assasin fell to an overhand hack from an axe weilded by Marago, Teis moved quicking to retrieve his helm, noticing that his sole surviving female guardsmen was standing deathly still with a hand out streched.

Moving back to his three surviving soldiers who were checking the corpses for identification or orders Teis addressed his soldier "What did you do?" He asked his female guardsmen.
"I have held some minor mage for some time talent sir," She replied hastily.
He suddenly realised he did not know this women. "Which division did you come from?" He demand.
"I came from the 7th sir, your brother requested me to accompany you," She cautiously replied.
"And how many mages do we have?" Marago interrupted.
"None other then I sir, it is an uncommon and largely useless gift" She replied to her Sergent.
"What name are you known by?" Teis continued.
"I am Eriles," the girl replied.
"Then for my life, I thank you deeply Eriles, now we must hurry back to the safety of our compound," Teis commanded as he began striding through the streets.

"Was there any damning evidence on our departed killers?" Teis murmered to Marago as they walked.
"Regretably and understandably none sir they were definately of the assasain guild Okrers, named so after that ghastly bird eating plant," Marago replied.
"So someone seeks our deaths, or more specifically my death, with the gold to throw away on 9 expensive assasains, it must be a council member but I suspect but have no idea who" Teis pondered aloud "And remind me when we return to the manor to begin a search,"
"A search for your would be murderer?" Marago finished.
"No, not yet, I would find mages Marago," Teis concluded as they wandered into the night.

#10 User is offline   councilor 

• High Fist

Posted 06 October 2006 - 03:26 AM

a quiet gurgle, and the man collapsed, a fine red mist from his throat. antry wiped his knife carefully, but did not sheath it. he counted the number of men he had found in the labryinth - this would be the fifth out of six that followed the young man into the labryinth. considering their poisoned daggers, they probably weren't there to talk to.

there would be no surprises to who had hired these killers. he quitely cursed his brother for his plans involving the boy, and then cursed him again for being so damn right. as a lord of house screlogue, he really did not need to conduct any field work, but this was a matter too sensitive to entrust to any protoges, tha fact that the protoges could not yet be entrusted with the map of the entire maze that successive lords of the screlogue had merticulously mapped out over the centuries.

the darkness and shadows in the labryinth made it very easy for him to deal with these hirelings, being able to strike and kill without them even knowing. silent once more, he progressed through the maze, vigilant for any sounds that would reveal position of the young man and the killer who sought him.
Question:

#11 User is offline   Tes'thesula 

• High House My House

Posted 06 October 2006 - 01:12 PM

The sun rose over the Capital, its harsh glare flowing like a river through the heart of the world?s most powerful empire. Its rays illuminated the unblinking face of Bravga au Kios, Patriarch of House Kios, sending his features into an unforgiving relief, the lines of time gone by clearly visible. His bed, a magnificent four-postered behemoth set in the centre of the room, lay unruffled, no body having graced its comfortable embrace on the night just past.
A long moment passed and with a sigh, Bravga pushed himself from the high backed chair that he had spent the night sitting in. Pulling on a silk robe embroidered with the Bear and Sword of Kios, Bravga stepped from his bedroom, and made his way through the corridors of his personal quarters, the house guards acknowledging his presence with the traditional Seagorian salute of the fist to heart. Bravga ignored them, his gaze set firmly ahead, his slippered feet making barely a noise in the empty halls. After a short walk, the Councilor pushed through a unlocked door, where Seram sat cross-legged on the floor, patiently waiting, the dark-skinned foreigner accustomed to his master?s unusual schedule.
The old northman took his usual chair by the window while Seram climbed to his feet and glided over to his desk, which was cluttered with hundreds of sheets of parchment, each one mazed with the cryptic script of the Shadowmaster of Kios. Bravga?s fingers fluttered from the recesses of his seat, ?Start with the most minor matters friend, we will work up to the present situation.?
Seram nodded, the ice-blue lines that patterned his face almost glowing in the half light, ?As you wish Lord,? a piece of parchment appearing in his hand, ?A growing minor house is expanding into steel refinement, and a Khrorozoran mine has sent an envoy with a hundred ingots of iron in the hopes of winning the contract to supply. This is a contract that would serve Kios well.?
?Who is moving the iron??
Seram?s eyes flicked to his notes, ?One of our unbannered trains, owned by Meeno Blend.?
?Send word to this Meeno, he is to lose the shipment. I don?t care what he tells the worms, bandits, an accident on the road, whatever amuses him the most.? Bravga?s hands were moving expansively, ?In the meantime send one of our bannered transports with Kios iron. Emphasis to this house the reliability of our suppliers. I want this contract.?
A quick note written, and then, ?It will be so. What do wish done with ingots Khrorozoran iron??
Silence, and then a short sharp laugh, ?I think a set of new ceremonial greatswords for my Counsel guards would be appropriate, do you not? It is a shame that they will not be ready for the next Council gathering, Khrorozor work stamped with the Bear of Kios. Hah!? Bravga gestured nonchalantly, and Seram turned again to his notes.
?It appears a petitioner, Lorii, has come to the Island. He is a member of a minor merchant house in the process of being assimilated by another, named Zenzil.?
?What is his grievance??
?The young man has kept it close to his chest, but we believe that it is to plead with the Council to induce the aggressor house to release his sisters.?
?Stair or Labyrinth??
?The lad was given permission to use the stairs by Councilor Intas, but the same man encouraged him to enter the maze.?
Bravga snorted, ?Idiot.?
?Are there any orders on this news??
?That some pathetic petitioner has entered the Labyrinth? No, I will judge on it when I am called to do so. We must move onto these mysterious ships.?
Seram retrieved a different section of parchment from the organised chaos that was his desk, a system of filing that only he could penetrate. ?Yes Lord??
?Well, what do we know of them??
A frown creased Seram?s face, ?Almost nothing my lord.?
?Almost NOTHING!? said Bravga, anger roiling like a wave from him, ?You are my Shadowmaster! I give you control of the most extensive information network, second only to the Emperor?s, and you know almost nothing! Even those swamp-loving Screlouge cannot boast to know as much as you!? Bravga paused, the heel of his hands pushed deep into his eyes, ?The black ships have not responded to any envoys, can you get a man onboard??
Seram had often faced the explosive anger of his Lord, and was unfazed, ?It would be possible to do so master. I myself have investigated these ships, and though the power I sense from them concerns me, their exteriors are certainly scalable to one of my men. I am, however, worried of the implications if an Imperial is discovered aboard. It may be seen as an act of war.?
?And blockading the inlet to our capital is not?? asked Bravga. He sat silent for a moment, and then spoke softly, ?I simply cannot advise the council without more information. What does Ehsias know of the situation??
?The priest tells me the Hierarchy is silent on the matter, whether because the spirits do not know or because they are unwilling to say, the priest does not know.?
Another long pause, ?Prepare one of your men to go aboard, but do not release him until I give word. Also, bring me one of our shipping engineers. I want to know the viability of building or converting warships.? Bravga rose to leave, when a cough from Seram stopped him.
?There is one more thing master.?
?What??
?Your son-?
?Jhon? What is it?? Bravga sat back down.
?He has been injured my Lord, in a recent skirmish.?
?Severly??
?His right hand. It was cut off at the wrist.?
Bravga stroked his closely cropped beard, staring out of the window, ?Jhon is sinister is he not??
?That is true, but-?
?Bring him back. I want him here as soon as possible.? The Lord of Kios stood and moved to the door.
?Master, your son is still weak. The journey could kill him!?
?I want him here Seram. Do not try me on this.?

#12 Guest_Maknavox_*

Posted 08 October 2006 - 12:36 PM

Ok. Im working towards the council meetin, you all. since morgoth isnt posting his Lorii thingy. Come on post it you morgy

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Inas had a headache fresh from drinking with Zembr.
He knew that Zembr was right, a fleet had to be made.
Zembr had told Intas that building large ships would meen
suicide. Zembr had made it clear to him that the Empire
was in the advantage. They had the coast towers,
unmoving stone constructs.

All they had to do is build some small ships that were
placed on tactical spots and the mouth of the inner sea.
Zembr had it all drawn out, the plan was the best you
could manage, or so Intas and Zembr thought. Now he
had only to convince the Rykers and the army generals.
They probebly had plans of their own so it would be hard.
Intas did not know the Rykers that good. He actualy only
knows their voices in the council, and some faces
ofcource.

The Rykers were the only house the Tredenes
did not trade with. The Rykers did not build much, nor do
they buy their wine from the Tredenes. All in all, the Rykers
were pretty much the opposite of Inas his house. Intas
knew only of two men that joined the army from his house.
One was a simple soldier and the other was a luitenant.

The council meeting was comming and two subjects would
be discussed. The fleet and the less important Lorii question.
Zembrs spies had heared screleuge his spies say that the kid
was comming out soon. Intas was ever intrigued.
"Its all written in stone" Intas wispered

#13 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 08 October 2006 - 06:24 PM

He’d been walking for what seemed like days. Corridor after corridor of black, cold and lifeless stone. There were no sounds apart from his own footsteps, no signs of anyone else ever having passed before him. He even backtracked his steps once, to see if his leavings were still there, only to find the hallway he’d been resting in was smooth polished and empty, like all the others.

“There’s more to the Labyrinth than what meets the eye, boy.” Lorii’s granfather tapped his glass eye knowingly with the end of his fork while releasing a circle of heavy black smoke from his pipe into the already smoky air of the livingroom.
“When you walk it’s dark depths you’ll eventually wonder, if you are the kind to wonder and I think you are, why there’s no signs of others having passed before you. Walk by a monument you’ll see intials scratched into the surface, you’ll se hearts and little drawings, but in the labyrinth there’s nothing. Nor will you find others, living or dead. You would think that a Labyrinth that has excisted longer possibly than humnakind would have things like bones, rotten cloth, dust. But no such thing can be found. There are only black, polished rock, water and darkness. Now, why is this you probably wonder. Is there some monster hiding in the labyrinth, preying on ignorant adventurers? If there are then I never came across any. No, it’s the labyrinth itself, boy. It’s alive in a sense. It watches you, weighs you, decides upon your fate. Maybe it will take pitty on you, like it did with me and stear you back out onto the docks, or perhaps it will see in you a heart pure enough to pass and guide you to the end. Most likely though, it will suck the life out of you, a bit at a time untill it has consumed your life, your spirit, your soul and then, your flesh. Does it need it to substain itself? I doubt that. After all, it was there long before the emperor adopted it to his own use, so it must have gone aeons with little or no life entering. Yet, if it does not need life, then why take it?”

Lorii used his granfather’s words to focus his thoughts, preventing them from straying too far from reality. Many an explorer of the labyrinth had gone insane and he was not going to go down that path. There were other problems though. His pack got lighter awfully quick, yet he saw no way to reduce his food intake unless he wanted to pass out from hunger. At least water was no problem, he’d come across several small pools during his time inside the labyrinth. It was as if the creators of this permanent terror did not want people to diminsih too soon, to prolong the suffering. Lorii had considered dumping his lamp early on as the whole labyrinth seemed to be encased in a weak, blue glow that, though not providing anything resembling daylight, did make it possible to walk without crashing into walls and such. Eventually though, he decided against it. He couldn’t be sure that there always would be a source of light available. Better to be on the safe side.

After another few hours or so, Lorii came upon a set of stairs leading down. They were narrow and very very steep. He considered going back. After all, he was supposed to go up, not down. Eventualy though, the possibility of some changes to the labyrinth made him decide to continue on. A short hesitation and he walked down, into the darkness.

The Emperor strode confidently out of the palace. Flanked by his four bodyguards he moved across the plaza to the council building where the twelve house representatives already were waiting for him. They were probably quite anxious. After all, there had been no military threat to the empire in their lifetimes, or in their granfather’s for that matter. The Emperor smiled slightly. There were a couple of advantages of having been alive for several millenias, one was patience. The fleet was big. So big in fact that the empire would need at least a year to build anything to match, probably more as the fleet they would face seemed to be very much experienced, while the imperial navy was not. Nevertheless, there should be no reason to panic. What could the fleet do? A siege on the island would be pointless. It’s walls were too tall to be climbed. No siege engine could reach above. Invading up the stairs or through the labyrinth would be suicide. So they were safe for now. Especially since the fleet had requested an audience with him and thus the council. For now, rash actions would be pointless.

Looking around at the twelve people gathered in the room did not fill him with hope though. They obviously did not share his view, and he was loath to force anything through the council. The stability of the empire depended on their approval. He shrugged to himself, patience would be the victorer, as it always was.

#14 User is offline   Valgard 

• Bored Microbiologist (not a good combination)

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:05 PM

Althelsaran sat cross-legged on the ground bathed in a pool of light that fell from the small circular hole far above in vault. Smoke rose from all around and wisps of it obscured Althelsaran body almost seeming to caress him. The incense pots burned releasing the rare herbs filling the chamber with their heady odour.

Althelsaran started to sway as a lone drum started to beat. Soon other drums and pipes added their voices. Faster and faster they played and Althelsaran kept up with them starting to chant faster and faster sweat dripping from his brow splashing onto the floor below. Suddenly all sound stopped, a complete silence descended across the room.

?Spirits of my ancestors hear me. I am Althelsaran, son of Hengst, son of Hrodelbert son of Uthred, son of Ragnar, son of leofric back unto Wothin first of our line, I am head of our house and its care it given unto me. I call upon you for advice to aid us in this unsettling time. A fleet that none has seen before has arrived we do not know why they have arrived and they will not answer our hails. Ancestors I ask that you help the house now as you have done before help us through these troubled times ahead, guide us as you guided us in the past.? Althelsaran?s voice boomed out across the now silent chamber.

Slowly it seemed that the smoke was coalescing into something. A figure of smoke started to appear its form indistinct but none the less something had answered his call.

?We are here Althelsaran for indeed troubled times await the house and the empire, but with careful guidance Dranwreaker can survive the coming difficulties. We are hear to warn you do not trust those that have arrived they are both more and less than they appear. He that leads them is dangerous be wary of him. These people have discovered a new source of power that it would be well not to underestimate.? The smoke apparition?s voice sounded like the rush of a thousand voices speaking from far away. It was nearly impossible to follow, yet Althelsaran could understand every word said yet any other listening would have only heard murmurings.

?I thank you ancestors, I must ask what advice do you have for the construction of an empire fleet who is to build and will it aid us in the coming struggle.? Althelsaran asked once more, surprised as before only one or two ancestors had arrived at his request, now there were all the Dranwreakers back to the beginning speaking to him. Not for many a year had the ancestors acted like this. This only served to highlight the severity of the situation.

?We see that the seas must be kept free a fleet must be had, but the riverlands must be kept safe at all costs the others can keep the seas free and guard the coasts. You must have forts and chains and bridges across the river to halt their movement up it. Now we must go for this is your time ours is gone you must look to the house?s safety. Remember trust these new ones not they are dangerous.? With these final words the smoke resumed a normal shape and the presence was gone.

?I thank you ancestors go now and rest I will do all in my power to protect the house and guard it in the future.? The thanking ceremony completed Althelsaran turned and strode out of the family shrine.

?Steward, send me Ossa now I must see him. Also send 100 crowns to the hierarchy temple with a note thanking them for their continue administration to the needs of the ancestors. It doesn?t do to forget where we came from? Althelsaran?s voice echoed down the corridor for the benefit of any listeners that maybe nearby.

He entered his study and unrolled a parchment and prepared the orders to be sent out to his lands and the other houses. Firstly his merchants were to purchase steel and lots of it from Kios mostly, but from Khorazor as well in lots of small orders. Secondly he drafted orders to his men by the river to begin an intensive renovation of the riverways with new bridges to be constructed swiftly and several movable booms to be finished across the river ostensibly for ease of access for merchants. Finally he drafted a letter for his house hold guards throughout the riverways to be prepared to raise the levies and put them at the disposal of the local army forces should they enemy attempt to force a way up stream.

There was knock on the door and Ossa entered bearing a letter.

?My lord the council meets today in 2 bells from now he emperor has called for a session.?

?What why was I not told about this earlier, quickly order the steward to get the formal clothes out.? Althelsaran spoke swiftly angered by the lack of preparation for the meeting ahead.

?It is already done my lord they are waiting for you in your chambers.?

?Good well I will tell you what needs to be done on the way so keep up.? With that he strode off towards his chambers. He filled Ossa in on the details for the new defences for the riverlands, as they went. He handed the letters to Ossa to pass on to the correct hands.

Soon Althelsaran was attired for the council and immediately left to reach there one time with his champion and three more bodyguards, as there had been a recent assassination attempt in the citadel and it didn?t pay to be to careful.

Soon he was in the council awaiting the arrival of the emperor with the heads of the other twelve houses. Soon they would learn why the emperor hadn?t wanted to call the meeting earlier and whether they would know what he knew of the fleet parked on their doorstep.

#15 User is offline   councilor 

• High Fist

Posted 09 October 2006 - 01:45 PM

Nathan was entirely absorbed looking at the financial figures of house screlogue in his study within the imperial palace grounds when the third lord of the house entered without knocking, leaving his apprentice outside the door, and promptly sat down in the nearest available chair. Then from the hard wooden case he was carting, took out 9 vials containing liquid that was a strangely bluish reddish colour, another 3 that was a sickly green colour, examined them to his satisfaction, set them on the table before him and then coughed loudly.

“Yes, I know that you are there conyes, just give me a minute with these figures”, Nathan said without looking up. He made a few more marks upon the book he was working on and looked up to face his brother.

“I see you made good time. It must not have been an easy journey, getting all the way here from the swamplands. Enjoy the stairs?”

“Yes…those stairs were not exactly my favourite part of the trip. Anyway, where’s Antry? He should be here somewhere, but I asked you protégés and they didn’t have a damn clue. According to them, he’s wandering around the tredenes lands right now.”
Nathan sighed and then gestured towards the grounds “ this is a bit too sensitive for them at the moment if you know what I mean. He’s still in the labyrinth trying to find that merchant lad. I’m assuming we won’t be seeing him anytime soon. But enough about that. I see that you’ve brought what I requested.” And reached for the case.

While Nathan examined the vials, conyes replied: “direct from my labs. The green ones are some of the best poisons I’ve managed sythesise. On vial can kill an entire legion. The best thing is, the poison decomposes once the body is dead. Given a few hours, it would have completely disappeared from the system. The other 9 are acid. A special formula I’ve developed on my own. They will dissolve anything other than silicates in a matter of minutes. On living flesh, the time drops to a matter of tens of seconds. Unfortunately, these are incredibly difficult to manufacture. Use them wisely. The next batch I can produce will take at least months.” Conyes paused,” also, do not let this get into the hands of the other houses, especially the khrozors. They might be able to reproduce it.”

Nathan placed the vials in the pockets of his cloak that was specially padded to carry things of such delicacy and stood up. “I guess I’ll have something handy if the meeting turns nasty. I don’t have a good feeling about these emissaries – they look like priest. You know my dislike of priests. And don’t worry about these, no one will know have them.”

He strode to the door and left for the council meeting.
Question:

#16 User is offline   Tes'thesula 

• High House My House

Posted 10 October 2006 - 10:24 AM

With the help of Seram, Bravga shrugged on the heavy cloth coat that completed his formal Councillor attire. Rolling his broad shoulders until the embroidered jacket felt comfortable, Bravga stepped forward, his hand pushing open the door, allowing a stab of daylight to illuminate the antechamber where his advisor had helped him dress. In the courtyard of the Kios compound stood four men, all encased in the traditional Seagorian armour of heavy steel plate and chain mail, black horsehair plumes sprouting from the silvery helmets they held under their arms. Bravga recognised the blonde bearded colossus Khorvyn au Breffan, Champion of House Kios and bearer of the giant sword Reaper of Men. Khorvyn had served under Bravga when he had fought in the Northern campaign, and both had saved each others’ life more than once, and after Bravga’s father, Huellen, had died and the youthful commander had been recalled to the Capital to serve as Councillor and Lord of Kios, he had taken the exceptional warrior with him, and gifted him with the House Sword, the blade having been forged centuries ago by the celebrated Khorozoran artisan Fynallis, during a period when the two houses had co-existed happily. The sword was a masterful piece of work; the techniques used by the Khorozoran smith still a mystery to Kios after all these years. The icy blue blade etched with vicious black bears was a full five and half feet long, monstrous in the hands of normal men, but a weapon of murder in the grip of hearty Khorvyn.
Behind au Breffan stood Calibar, Fizoni and Marl, some of the finest fighters produced by Kios, As Counsel Guards must be, Bravga thought to himself. Pointing towards the men with his right hand, Bravga turned his head towards Seram, ‘What is this?’
Seram dipped his head, ‘My Lord, with the recent assassination attempt upon the Councillor Teis, I thought it prudent to enlarge your escort. No disrespect to the skills of the Mankiller and Calibar of course, but by all accounts the assassins involved were-,’ Seram searched for the right word, ‘-determined.’
‘Fine, fine,’ Bravga turned back towards the heavily armed men, fixing them with an imperious glare, ‘So long as you lads remember yourselves. We go into the presence of the Emperor himself.’
When each of the men nodded, Bravga said, ‘Good, let us go then.’ A nod from Seram and the men donned their helmets and pulled down their warmasks, the emotionless silver faces – except on Khorvyn, whose mask had been beaten into the shape of a grimacing skull – hiding their features.
Bravga raised a questioning eyebrow at Seram, it was customary in the capital for warriors to show their faces and keep peace loops on their weapons, this was, after all, the heart of a mainly peaceful empire. Seram just shrugged, ‘I swore to you that I would do all I could to protect Kios, and you are Kios.’
It was Bravga’s turn to shrug, ‘Very well.’

The journey to the Council building was uneventful, Seram’s precautions unnecessary. The small party was led through the streets of the capital by Khorvyn, the giant clearing the path for the Lord of Kios, with merchants and minor nobles scurrying out of way, chilled by the skull-headed warrior.
Seram kept his eyes open; eyeing the many alley entrances that littered the route to the High Council, although he remained pleased that his intelligence had been proven right, that there was to be no attempt on the life of Bravga au Kios this day.
However, something, a feeling, persisted. A gnawing sensation deep within the normally serene body of the Shadowmaster.Something is coming. Seram did not know what or when, but for a man coldly logical by nature, the very feeling was disturbing.
The black robed wizard, his face partially covered in a cloth that hung down from his tightly coiled turban allowed himself to be the last to climb the stairs into the Council building, stopping on the last step and turning to look at the path just taken. The imperial guardsmen set at the large doors impassive to the Kios representatives. No one following, no sudden dark movements behind us. Where is this sending coming from? Seram thought to himself. When no answer came immediately to mind, he turned and entered the building, his quick stride soon bringing him once more to the side of his master.

#17 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 11 October 2006 - 10:58 PM

Vandir stood at the top of the stairs, enjoying the view over the city and the ocean, when Tualya puffed to a halt besides him. He had made a ritual of this over the past few years, the extent of land and seascape visible took his breath away as easily as the first time. So different from his mountains, he thought, but just as dangerous to the careless. Vandir turned to greet his sister, smirking at how winded she was, the smirk vanishing as he realised how important news that could take Tualya out of the bathhouses and down the stairs to her agents would be.

"What is it, sister? Or would you like a moment more to... catch your breath?" he asked her, and she glared at him. "Can't you get your own damn spies?"
"I do, but the more the merrier. No good leaving the night theatre to those damn Screlogues, eh? Now, what's the problem?"
She collected herself. "There was a raid on our forges back in Jalant. A greatsmith was taken before they were discovered. Fortunately he was able to poison himself before they restrained him, but a passing khrorozan patrol caught up with the attackers and slaughtered the lot. None lived to be questioned."
"Close. Too close. Triple how many guards the Elders set. Hrol," glancing at his secretary and bodyguard, Hrol Hirn, "Order the Seventh Wyrms to collapse another two Kios mines, and reduce the proportion of our best steel through Kios caravans another fifth, to forty percent. Also, take on that new Tredenes contract for internal sea shipping."
"Yes, my Lord. If I may..."
"No, you may not. You have a question, Tualya?" His sister had turned a rather amusing shade of pink. Tualya always had a tenuous grasp on her temper.
"With all respect, brother," he was definitely in trouble now, "If anyone ordered this, it was most likely the Screlogues. After the recent troubles with Kios, and..." determinedly not looking at the brown blur amidst the green of the horizon, just as he was, "And especially now with this strange new fleet, I wonder how sensible aggravating the other Houses will be. I don't think this is the right time, brother."
Vandir patted her on the shoulder. "Actually, this is the perfect time. If these foreigners are harmless, then I've made a good start, with Kios taken aback and Screlogue lulled by our 'failure'. If they aren't, then I'm expecting a joint proposal by some of the houses for the explorers. A proposal of what will need to be epic proportions. We can ignore the Screlogues for now. With the opportunity this represents, we could ignore them both until I've erased their names from the histories and the memories of all save the Emperor himself." Both Tualya and Hrol were staring at him wide-eyed, as if he had been replaced with an insane khrorozan. Mad ambition? Perhaps. But he felt victory within his grasp.

Grinning, he spun on his heel to greet an approaching liegeman. "My lord, the Emperor has called a meeting of the Council, and your presence is required." "Good. Inform the men assigned to my guard today, then await my return in my estate." "Yes, my lord." Signalling with his hand to Hrol, Vandir shouted over his shoulder, "Enjoy your bath, sister! You look a bit sweaty, haha." Ignoring the torrent of abuse coming his way, he smiled. Everything was falling into place, for a change, and it couldn't happen fast enough.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#18 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 12 October 2006 - 04:50 PM

Standing in the courtyard of his families estate Sebastian was comforted by the sight of his family and the Janus legion at their drills. One way or another the signs all pointed to a coming conflict. Whether it was to be with these foreigners or between the houses themselves he could not yet say. But war was coming. That the fleet was the catalyst was undeniable, something would have to be done about it. Iether delt with or a peace established soon before the madness it caused in the higher ups drove them to do something reckless. Iether way House Ryker would be their as it had been for the empire these last three thousand years. Any insurrection, any civil war, any threat to the empire or emperor, they would deal with it. And what he saw said they were prepared. The Janus legion, veterans all, possibly the greatest fighting force in the empire. If the fleet proved hostile they would be the vanguard of the empires response, and if the houses threatened civil war than they would see to it they returned to the fold.

Most imprevise of all was Barrack. His cousin was a maelstrom of energy. He worked the ancient forms of House Ryker faster and faster. Sebastian was a swordsman of renown, His sword bore the mark of an adept graduate of the Imperial Academies and yet still he knew he was no match for his cousin. He doubted anyone could be. Not alone nor with help could his cousin be defeated. When they were younger he had spent hours watching his cousin looking for a way to beat him and though he still did it, he recognized it for what it was an idle preoccupation for his mind. He had long since accepted he would never be half so proud a warrior. Suddenly the frantic spinning of his cousins sword stopped, it never slowed, it just stopped. “Cousin we must be away now, if you are not to be late”
“yes Barrack I was waiting on you I did not wish to disturb your excercises. Is my escort prepared.”
“Yes I will escort you myself along with three of our best. The other houses seem frantic today. Guards are being doubled. One of Kyles men reported that the Kios councilor was seen with four guards today. I don’t think he hass ever used more than two before. We must match their caution and with you guard enough for yourself we will raise it.”
His cousin raised his hand and piointed out three men from the legionaires. When they stepped forward Sebastian noted that his cousin was indeed concerned for his safety today. Each bore a downward triangle crest on their helms marking them as veterans of three terms with the imperial army, the black colouring noting that at least one was in the northen campaigns. They carried in addition to their armour, shields and swords of Khorozor manufacture.
“Let us be away cousin. The emperor will need our support in the council this day more than any other.

#19 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:54 PM

He had no idea how long it had been since he took the first step down the stairs but it felt like days. The stairs were steep, narrow and seemingly forever spiraling downwards. Downwards to what. Oblivion? The afterworld. Lorii could well believe he’d gone so deep he was but moments from breaching the borders to the netherworld. If nothing else he’d long since gone beneath the sea, of that he was certain. Yet there was no moisture in the air. No smell of salt or even the slightest hint of a breeze. Nothing but silence and darkness.

It was shortly after his first rest that he discovered, almost to his own demize, that he was no longer walled in. On his left, where once there had been a smoot, flawless wall, there was now ...nothing. For a while he was pressing up against the wall, afraid to move, terrified of the emptyness he could not see nor in any other way percieve. He knew it was there waiting, hungering for his feet to slipp, for his form to slide of the edge into oblivion. Its need was overpowering, crushing, it squeezed him against the wall and did not let go. It screamed in his head, goading him, coaxing him to step closer, to jump into the wast silence. There was nothing to be done. Something this old, this powerfull could not be resisted. This was his final moment. He would fail his family, his mission, he would fail himself.

And then it passed. Lorii was standing, still against the wall, but he was once more in control of himself. The darkness terrified him still, but he could stand it. Slowly, with painfull care he took a step downwards. And then another and then another. He refused to let his mind stray to edge but instead focused solely on putting on foot in front of the other. Once more, the young man walked down into depths of the earth for blood, for kin and most of all – though he refused to aknowledge it – for glory.

Armeihn rolled his broad shoulders and briefly flexed his muscles in a suprisingly cat like motion. His black, thight fitting silk garments rustles slightly as it followed his moments. The emissary, one of his bastard sons he was pleased to notice, was on the floor, his knees and forehead resting against the cold marble of the floor.
“So, you’re saying that other fleets have been spotted along the coast of both our neighbouring continents?”
“Yes sir. Four of our buccaneers pretty much crashed into a fleet to the south of Al’Kesch. One managed to flee, if barely. I doubt it will be sea worthy for months”
“Wait wait!” Armeihn combed his fingers through his long, greying hair, a move so ingrained in his personality it had to many become him.
“Are you telling me the captains were stupid enough to actually engage a fleet of around fifty warships? Oh I will have every man on that ship flogged until I can see the white of their spines for this.”
“No no, sir. They didn’t try engage. At the first sign of the fleet they tried to head for the ocean, away from the enemy.”
“My buccaneers are the quickest...”
“...second quickest, if you can forgive me for saying so.”
Armeihn’s eyes narrowed, he was the head of his house and did not relish his underlings interupting him. The kid had a point however and so he let it pass. Too few people were willing to speak their minds these days and he hated boot lickers with a passion. That and incompetence, two sins which he had personly made punishable by death. And stupidity for that matter. Stupidity could get one killed, and within his domain that was truer perhaps than anywhere else. The something hit him.
“Al’Kesch? The fleet was spotted at Al’Kesch?”
“Yes, sir. Most of it had anchored at the river mouth. Supposedly, a few smaller boats had moved in to dock with the ruins.”
“They weren’t bringing in natives were they?”
“No, sir. It would seem they were not interested in slaves, but rather in the ruins themselves.”
“Peculiar. Well at least they’re not aiming to enter our markets then. Good. Ah yes, you may go. You have performed well for your house, take the rest of the day off.”

Unknown fleets were worrying but not overly so. Armeihn trusted the empire’s ability to prevail. Nevertheless, an enemy fleet of such a size could be damaging to the finances of his house. Free access to the other continents as well as the imperial continent itself was and would always be paramount. The buccaneers, the trading fleet, the slavers – especially the slavers – needed free reign of the sea. A sea born enemy at the doorstep would be bad indeed. A war was needed to clear the seas. There was no other option. And not only was it necessary, it would be profitable too. House Sorus had the biggest, most advanced shipyards in the empire. If a fleet was to be comissioned, quite a lot of the gold would flow there. Not to mention the eventual discovery of a whole new continent. A continent they now would be at war with. Armeihn grinned wickedly. War equaled slaves, and slaves was the very foundation of his house.

The emperor stood at the head of the great table. The table had been built perhaps three thousand years ago at his request. It was not so much a table as a miniture model of the imperial continent. Every city and important town, every road, port, bridge, they were all to be found if they had any strategic or economical importance. The council was gathered around it. House leaders, advisors and a few guards, none of whom could really match his own, imperial bodyguards, but this ofc was not know. The Emperor smiled to himself. Man’s most basic need was the need to feel in control. This counted perhaps more for the councilors than for anyone else. Their lives was all about control, and the emperor did not dare to take that away from them. Especially not now.

“Councilors. We have a situation. There’s a fleet at our doorstep, and they do not seem to be the kind one would associate with flower, bees, honey and dancing children. Now, they’ve requested an audience with us, here, one week from now. What we need to do is to decide what to do with this situation. House Ryker, what are your thoughts regarding our military and the foreign soldiers?”

#20 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:42 PM

Estabo tried hard to keep his face impassive at the news - he could see similar struggles going on in the faces round the table. But it was nigh impossible to stop any of his surprise seeping through especially with Paracas giving him a buzz. He quickly adjusted himself mentally and decided to say his piece.

"My fellow delegates, I have come to the conclusion that this fleet is hostile - the only reason for them to be waiting where they are is for the rest of their fleet to arrive. Now 50 warships, especially such large ones, are a large force, but what could they hope to achieve against the might of the Imperial Army? But if that is not their entire force, then there could be something else coming. I propose that we use the week's warning that these invaders have given us to construct a fleet in the Sea. From here, we can build our defences. If we start on the outside, we will be divided and won't be able to muster a successful defence. So let us build, and build strong!"
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users