• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reaper's Gale Prologue

#461 User is offline   buddhacat 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 February 2007 - 06:37 PM

Called-by-the-Voices;161697 said:

One question: when Rake and Kilmandaros set off in that rent they enter Emurlahnn.. But, I don't get it then from where did they go? Where did they slay Scabby? *confused*

Mael and Kilmandaros killed Scabandari on our (human) world, on the continent of letheras. Kilmandaros then returned to the realm of Kurald Emurlahn. She found Rake waiting there, at the gate between KE and our world.

Rake was already in our (human) world, but did not participate in Scabandari's killing. He waited at the gate between KE and our world, knowing Mael and Kilmandaros could handle the killing. That's where Rake and Kilmandaros had their conversation.

Buddhacat

#462 User is offline   Paran 

• High Fist

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:43 AM

Just to cover the GotMism, It was Coll that informed all of the contents of Moon's Spawn... namely, "five black dragons". Four took on Raest (2 were injured) along with Silanah, and it was inferred that during this time Serrat was requested to cover Baruk. The question is, was she asked after Raest "disappeared" from the battle, or was she always guarding him? We know Orfantal and Korlat are 2 of the dragons, but the other 2 are unidentified as yet. From the way things played out, I imagined that Serrat was not Soletaken.

Also, isn't there certain "issues" with spilling the blood of a dragon - i.e. consequences an repercussions of this?
"The harder the world, the fiercer the honour" - Dancer

#463 User is offline   Apsalar Shadowdancer 

• Sergeant
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:05 PM

This brings up an interesting point. Are all soletaken dragons linked to warrens or just a few selected ones such as Rake?

#464 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:19 PM

I would guess just a few. I imagine Korlat & Orfantal and the other Soletaken Andii are not all linked to KG, for example.

#465 User is offline   Phael 

• Recruit
  • Interests:I like jumping out of planes :) also boxing, gym, watching footy, playing WoW (if you lived where I lived you'd get your kicks where you can too)

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:04 AM

Seems likely the canoes are Bhargast, although the canoes found on Genabackis don't seem to fit, possibly another tribe, from another continent?

Only days to push now people, feels like I've been waiting forever for it!!!

#466 Guest_aaronsan_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 02 March 2007 - 03:44 PM

Ok, to all you "Rake can be killed" folks, you still haven't responded to why Ruin and Bloodeye couldn't actually be killed, in a final sort of sense. In both of their cases, the ones doing to their bodies what would kill anyone else freely acknowledge that this will not kill them.

Right?

So couldn't Rake be the same as Ruin/Scabby in this way?

-Aaron

#467 User is offline   Set'alahd Crool 

• First Sword

Posted 02 March 2007 - 03:56 PM

aaronsan;164176 said:

Ok, to all you "Rake can be killed" folks, you still haven't responded to why Ruin and Bloodeye couldn't actually be killed, in a final sort of sense. In both of their cases, the ones doing to their bodies what would kill anyone else freely acknowledge that this will not kill them.

Right?

So couldn't Rake be the same as Ruin/Scabby in this way?

-Aaron

I don't know about Ruin, but if you read the prologue (page 1, this thread) you'll know why Scabs couldn't be killed. It has nothing to do with his power.

#468 User is offline   Dragnipurake 

• Captain

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:42 AM

i think people are not really expecting rake to die after someone stabs him with a knife or throws a stone at his head etc. like scabandari says about ruin, it will take some effort. obviously this does not make his death impossible, and could happen in RG. of course it would really suck if it does happen.

#469 User is offline   Locke Reaper 

• Captain

Posted 03 March 2007 - 08:24 AM

It's and intresting point about rake and i've been thinking about it myself after just finishing midnight tides again. Ruin was stabbed and buried in an azath garden, yet walks out alive after thousands of years. Did the azath keep him alive? or did he heal over time?

And it seems that most ascendents become spirits/shades when they get offed so can they actually be killed. because as long as someone worships a god he hangs around.

#470 User is offline   Phael 

• Recruit
  • Interests:I like jumping out of planes :) also boxing, gym, watching footy, playing WoW (if you lived where I lived you'd get your kicks where you can too)

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:52 AM

Isn't it kind of azath thing to keep creatures alive but imprisoned? Weren't Icarium and Mappo relieved when Messremb died before being taken on The Path of Hands!

Seems natural to assume that near fatal injuries would heal while imprisoned by one

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:51 PM

Locke Reaper;164432 said:

It's and intresting point about rake and i've been thinking about it myself after just finishing midnight tides again. Ruin was stabbed and buried in an azath garden, yet walks out alive after thousands of years. Did the azath keep him alive? or did he heal over time?

And it seems that most ascendents become spirits/shades when they get offed so can they actually be killed. because as long as someone worships a god he hangs around.

Gotm : Gods die only at a mortal's hand....or somesuch saying :p

#472 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 03 March 2007 - 02:31 PM

Just read through the prologue again, and I'm wondering......

Could the lone rider (in the crimson mask) be COWL??? Or is that being far too literal? I've seen people mention Cowls name before in other threads but I must confess I've no clue about him.
He's one of the Avowed right?? Is he one of their mages?? (just wondering about the reference to carrying herbs and medicines.

But isn't ICE the one who'll be dealing with elements of the crimson guard?

Also, i see in the glossary of MT, that under the titles of lethari military, there is a crimson rampant brigade? Any significance there to our lone horseman?

No idea though who or what his companions are.

Do we know yet if this is a completely new character? Since there are some people here who are in the know ;-)

Cheers

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#473 Guest_dskinner_*

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:38 PM

Awesome, Kallor! Thanks for posting!

#474 User is offline   Where is Dassem Ultor? 

• Captain

Posted 04 March 2007 - 07:51 PM

I don't think that Rake will die, but I believe that he's going to need a new sword soon....

#475 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God

Posted 04 March 2007 - 11:38 PM

Binder of Demons;164461 said:

Just read through the prologue again, and I'm wondering......

Could the lone rider (in the crimson mask) be COWL??? Or is that being far too literal? I've seen people mention Cowls name before in other threads but I must confess I've no clue about him.
He's one of the Avowed right?? Is he one of their mages?? (just wondering about the reference to carrying herbs and medicines.

But isn't ICE the one who'll be dealing with elements of the crimson guard?

Also, i see in the glossary of MT, that under the titles of lethari military, there is a crimson rampant brigade? Any significance there to our lone horseman?

No idea though who or what his companions are.

Do we know yet if this is a completely new character? Since there are some people here who are in the know ;-)

Cheers

Those in the know seem to hint it's a new character.

For what it is worth, Red Mask thinks about his origins in Awl'Dan. This makes it really really unlikely that he is Crimson Guard (a Quon Tali organisation) and probably not Letherii (since they didn't control the area until recent times).

#476 User is offline   Coldsnap 

• Sergeant

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:36 AM

Just wondering... how did Kallor get a hold of the prologue to this book? Is he an editor or something?

#477 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:40 AM

He's a personal friend of Steven Erikson. It's a position of power he uses to tease everyone here with tiny bits of knowledge so that we all hate him.

#478 User is offline   lopper 

• Recruit

Posted 07 March 2007 - 05:46 PM

why do you people continually point out time lines, seriously i think a 10 novel story is going to have these time line issues, the book hasnt been released and you are complaining all ready.

Aptorian;109011 said:

Arh, too much information, so many new questions.

Am I the only one who see's a new timeline discrepancy?

The upwards of a half a million people that arrives in canoes? Are they of Togg and Fanderay new army? Is that what we're supposed to think when we hear of the dead, heartless peoples sigils with wolfheads?

If so where are they coming from? Is this back to the GotM'isms/wrong MTs dates? The Edur invasion happened something like 5-10+ years before MoI and Togg and Fanderays return. I would love for them to be Toc and his tenescowri buddies... but that's not possible, unless there are problems with the timeline again.

Oh and Kilmandaros is cooler than I thought her to be, I just expected a typical humanlooking eldergod... Child of Terror indeed :D

#479 User is offline   Monoch Ochem 

• First Sword

Posted 09 March 2007 - 07:38 PM

I don't think it's so much a complaint Lopper....just excitement.

It's a wonder in these books what things actually unravel themselves to be...so the timelines are a source of mystery. Not that we want to point out SE's mistakes but because we're desperately trying to figure out (and predict) his complex world and storyline.
"We greet you Jaghut."

#480 User is offline   Locke Reaper 

• Captain

Posted 10 March 2007 - 08:33 AM

The timeline is one of my favourite things in SE books. Gives you different prespectives by the same characters, shows how they grow and mature and gives you reasons to chage your opinion about characters.

But the best thing about them is the discussions, man, some of these guys(or girls) really love to dig for the smallest details. Makes for fasinating reading, and re-reads of the books cause you pick up detail you miss the first time round.

So don't mind too much, aptorian has an awesome view on things(except the tom cruise thing, a little scary)

Share this topic:

• 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

15 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users