• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"The Lies of Locke Lamora" by Scott Lynch

#101 User is offline   Shurque's biatch 

• High Fist
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 23 October 2007 - 03:25 PM

Got tLoLL from the library and will definately get Red Seas when the library has it.

Not fantastic enough to own, but still very good. Especially with having to wait for TtH and aDwD.

I guess I will need to go back through some of the other suggestions, you guys are so cool.
"Piss on Hood!" ~Roach

#102 User is offline   percival 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:03 PM

i have to agree with mclovin.. when i read this it was a real strain to get in to it. the first half dragged by and i only probably continued as i didnt have anything else on the shelf waiting. i am glad i did though, as the second half flowed nicely and i loved the second book also.

#103 User is offline   Dag 

• Burninating poodles since 1996

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:12 PM

Loved this book. It made me laugh, it made me bite my nails, it made me want to read more about Locke and Jean at the end. Already read "Red Seas under Red Skies", and can now hardly wait for the saga to continue.

#104 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 December 2007 - 09:29 AM

I started reading this thread and thought I was on another planet - nobody said a bad (or even mediocre) word about this book for about 40 posts.

Good to see the moderate posts near the end B)

I thought the book was alright, but not great. Scott Lynch has some good ideas, but for me they don't hit home quite right. The idea of the Gentlemen Bastards is a nice one, but the band in the book don't fit the title very well imo. Yeah, they're bastards, but that's about it.

I guess this book just wasn't for me. I found the caper stuff a bit dull - one example of where Lynch needs to improve is in the first third of the book.

Spoiler

The book really improved about half way through, when...

Spoiler

I loved that stuff. But then after that it was back to the caper stuff. I think I must not be a fan of the "caper genre", because...

Spoiler

So yeah. Ranted a bit there, sorry. Thought the book was ok, but nothing special. I don't think I'll read the sequel. Still, Lynch is obviously good at what he does (mostly), but I don't think I like what he does.
Don't fuck with the Culture.

#105 User is offline   Shurque's biatch 

• High Fist
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:45 PM

Just finished Red Seas under Red Skies. I loved it. Very engrossing and the antics of Jean and Locke are amazingly well portrayed. The bit where
Spoiler

There weren't nearly as many slow descriptive interludes, it just kept clipping right along. The ending was a bit unsatisfying, with so many things wrapped up at once, but I will certainly read the next one.
"Piss on Hood!" ~Roach

#106 User is offline   The Tyrant Lizard 

• First Sword

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:50 AM

I've just red the first instalment. I was impressed. It had good characters and a good plot both within a good world. It seems like a well thought out novel. I MUST agree with yellow on his third assessment point. That was a bit like a marching band reaching a crecendo and then someone sitting on a whoopy cusion to ruin the atmosphere, only to have the band march on and resume playing once more.

Jean's hard.
I want to die the way my dad died, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

#107 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:38 AM

I just finished this as well. Great fun, I enjoyed it. I wish the next one was available in paperback, but not until this summer.
Error: Signature not valid

#108 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired

Posted 15 February 2008 - 07:21 AM

Just order it from the UK. The paperback's already out.
Don't fuck with the Culture.

#109 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 15 February 2008 - 07:54 AM

Sweet! I was not aware of that. Thanks.

#110 User is offline   Varunwe 

• Lieutenant
  • Interests:Larp, reading, watching tv

Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:39 PM

I liked LoLL, but I loved RSuRS. This could be because I had lower expectations for RSuRS though. I had quite a lot of LOL moments. I agree the ending was a bit unsatisfying, but I had so much fun reading the book I'm not complaining ;)

#111 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:06 PM

(thanks obdi ;))

I finished tLoLL yesterday. It was good fun but I don't think I enjoyed it as much as some other people in this thread! For one thing, I didn't like any of the Gentleman Bastards.

Spoiler

I was kind of hoping most of the way through that Locke would get his comeuppance for being such an arrogant swine.

The big highlight for me was the city of Camorr and the world itself. The alchemical hybrids were pretty cool and

Spoiler

I'm hoping the series in the long run will get involved with the creators of Elderglass. I'm thinking it will and I hope it's as exciting as it promises to be.

So, I had RSURS in my hand yesterday and decided against it. Good enough that I'm glad I read it. Not good enough to fork out when it's not in Waterstones 3 for 2 offer :)
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#112 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:36 PM

The good news, without any spoilers, is that there's plenty of Elderglass mentioning in Red Seas ;)
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#113 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:09 PM

i finished the book recently.. it was a good start and i agree with mezla that the real star was the city itself

#114 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:04 AM

read this fairly recently
It was entertaining and funny at first, than things were happening all of a sudden and it just got awesome
Very good atmosphere and decent world-building through bits and pieces and name-dropping...

I'll probably pick up RSuRS the next time i'm in a bookstore and see it in paperback..
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#115 User is offline   ... 

• Corporal

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:45 PM

Varunwe;259536 said:

I liked LoLL, but I loved RSuRS. This could be because I had lower expectations for RSuRS though. I had quite a lot of LOL moments. I agree the ending was a bit unsatisfying, but I had so much fun reading the book I'm not complaining ;)

Why did you find the ending of RSuRS unsatisfying? I thought the ending was a perfect fit for the book.

#116 User is offline   Varunwe 

• Lieutenant
  • Interests:Larp, reading, watching tv

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:36 PM

I really mean the ending with Stragos. I can't give a real reason, it just felt unsatisfying. The rest of the ending was great.

#117 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:24 PM

...;307587 said:

Why did you find the ending of RSuRS unsatisfying? I thought the ending was a perfect fit for the book.

Spoiler

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#118 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 17 May 2008 - 10:03 PM

I enjoyed the first, it was a nice change of pace from the heavier stuff. Light and fun, but under the surface more complex than expected. I haven't gotten the second book yet though, I don't think it's worth it to me to buy in hardback, and I'm too lazy to order the paperback from the UK.

#119 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:03 PM

I couldn't find a more recent Gentlemen Bastards thread, so I'm resuscitating this one. Applying electrodes... :rolleyes:

Scott Lynch has written a blog post detailing a release date delay for Thorn of Emberlain. Apparently, he's moved cross-country and APPARENTLY he's marrying Elizabeth Bear (I hadn't even known they were dating!).

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 18 August 2016 - 08:04 PM

#120 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:17 PM

Yeah, they bought a house together earlier this year. He's doing much better.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users