Malazan Empire: Now that there are 6, best one so far? - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Now that there are 6, best one so far?

Poll: Now that there are 6, best one so far? (91 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Gardens of the Moon (6 votes [6.59%])

Percentage of vote: 6.59%

2. Deadhouse Gates (14 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

3. Memories of Ice (38 votes [41.76%])

Percentage of vote: 41.76%

4. House of Chains (4 votes [4.40%])

Percentage of vote: 4.40%

5. Midnight Tides (19 votes [20.88%])

Percentage of vote: 20.88%

6. The Bonehunters (10 votes [10.99%])

Percentage of vote: 10.99%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Agraba 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 May 2006 - 07:35 PM

If you can dig in this forum and show me that it's already been done, my rebuttal in advance is that it was done before the Bonehunters was released.

#2 User is offline   BridgeBurner 

• High Fist

Posted 26 May 2006 - 07:43 PM

MOI was my favourite for a long time.

But I rate TBH slightly higher.

#3 User is offline   Folken 

• Never throw your life away so easily

Posted 26 May 2006 - 07:55 PM

So I dig and so I find it;) And clearly it wasn't done before the release of BH...why would someone poll 6 books if only 5 are out? lol
http://www.malazanem...read.php?t=4250
<div align='center'>You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are - Juan Manuel Fangio</div>

#4 User is offline   Agraba 

• Emperor

Posted 26 May 2006 - 08:06 PM

Oh, well then, I'll say "thank you" and "you bastard" in the same sentence.

#5 User is offline   PannionDude 

• Lieutenant

Posted 26 May 2006 - 08:08 PM

I've actually changed my vote from the last time I voted on this. On rereading MT edges out MOI in my view. Both are super great though.

#6 User is offline   Murrin 

• First Sword

Posted 27 May 2006 - 12:05 AM

It took my rereads of the series to help me realise it, but I think that House of Chains is the best book in the series so far. It balances the epic scale of MoI with the writing and characterisation found in MT, all while successfully showing the world trying to carry on after something as big as the Chain of Dogs.

#7 Guest_T'rolbarahl_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 27 May 2006 - 03:19 AM

Tough one, but I'ld have to choose Midnight Tides. When I was going to reread Midnight Tides I was really reluctant because it took the story away from all the previous characters but when I began reading it I really got in to it. I liked the characters and the ending had such a strong ominous feel to it.

Out of the Malazan storylines, Bonehunters and Memories of Ice come close. One of the reasons I really liked Bonehunters is that it brings the two storylines and it's characters together, especially now that we know both sides story.

#8 User is offline   blewin 

• High Fist

Posted 27 May 2006 - 04:23 AM

I still have to go with Deadhouse Gates.

#9 Guest_Ceuningske_*

Posted 27 May 2006 - 05:47 AM

Memories of Ice for me, I cried last time I read it, that did it for me. :eek3:

#10 User is offline   Jheral 

• Sergeant

Posted 27 May 2006 - 11:40 AM

Midnight Tides. Sure, BH and MoI were great, but I still think MT beats them both.

#11 User is offline   Brahm_K 

• Sergeant

Posted 27 May 2006 - 04:06 PM

Midnight Tides. I simply find it to be the best written. Erikson's best characterization is there, along with consistently funny humour, great characters and plotline in general and a great dramatic climax to end it all off.

Posted 27 May 2006 - 04:56 PM

and another vote for MT.... MOI was the best for a long time... but a re-read of MT has just edged it out :(

#13 User is offline   EternalShadow 

• Recruit

Posted 27 May 2006 - 05:02 PM

I voted for The bonehunters in the end, but i have to say im surprised no one has voted for Gardens of the moon, which was my second favourite book..
(i love assassin wars)

#14 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 27 May 2006 - 05:42 PM

MOI- Capustan last of the BB. just for them reasons.

#15 User is offline   Agraba 

• Emperor

Posted 27 May 2006 - 05:45 PM

I voted for The bonehunters in the end, but i have to say im surprised no one has voted for Gardens of the moon, which was my second favourite book..
(i love assassin wars)

Really? That was my least favourite. I started reading it to compare it to GRRM, and I remember at the end of it that I still rated A Game of Thrones better than GotM.

Anyways, I'm glad that Midnight Tides, my personal favorite (since my first read, and nothing's changed after my second) is getting many votes. I thought most people disliked it because it deviated from the known characters. I personally feel that an author should never stick to the same characters over and over again throughout a long series, especially when they had their moments. That's why I'm hoping that SE will focus more on characters like Bottle, Fear, Helian, Taralack, Udinaas, etc...

#16 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 27 May 2006 - 08:24 PM

Just reread Deadhouse Gates, forgotten just how good it was. Even Capustan & Y'ghatan do not reach the heights of emotion I felt reading of the life and death of the Chain of Dogs.

#17 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 27 May 2006 - 08:30 PM

Memories of Ice. Capustan is a staggering sequence, WJ's death still hurts and the balance of storylines and subplots is absolutely perfect. I'd order the books:

Memories of Ice
Deadhouse Gates
Gardens of the Moon
Midnight Tides
The Bonehunters
House of Chains

DHG suffers from Felisin, who is a severely unlikeable character (she also kills a lot of HoC, along with the anti-climatic ending). TBH suffers from SE throwing his "Each book must stand alone!" stance to one side and giving us far too many stories that just finish in mid-air, without even any cliffhangers.

I still like Gardens of the Moon a lot, the relative straightforwardness of events in Darujhistan coming as a relief on re-reads after the head-screwing of the other multiple storylines in the other books.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#18 User is offline   JAGHUT JIM 

• Recruit

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:53 PM

Funnily enough i started the series at HoC. Found it in a second hand store in NZ and started reading it. Was completely drawn in after reading about the Teblor tribes! The rest of the book was obviously confusing but still a great read and then coming back and buying the whole series and starting from scratch only solidified in my mind the fact that SE IS all powerful! :( So HoC still remains pretty special to me.

#19 User is offline   Hume 

• Banned Like a Mushroom
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 31 May 2006 - 01:20 AM

Bonehunters
Midnight Tides
Memories of Ice
Deadhouse Gates
House of Chains
Gardens of the Moon

#20 Guest_Swordbearer_*

Posted 31 May 2006 - 01:48 AM

I voted TBH because I was unable to reach a decision :confused: . They all have so many parts, that reach out and grab me by my mental short hairs so to speak.
In retrospect I should have voted for GoTM. just because the first step of a journey is the most memorable.
To date the anticipation for the next book still feels like a hole in my soul.
Nuff Said!.
If a certain someone was standing there I'd have to vote, J V Jones, as my favourite author {God she's hot} freely admits being a slave to his gonads :eek:.
Sorry Steve :(

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users