• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

World Map

#21 User is offline   Dagger 

• Interloper
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:14 PM

OK, accuse me of thread drift but does this mean that Korbal Broach and Bauchlain survived their encounter with the Mott's Irregulars. Things looked pretty dicey for them at the end of MoI.
"I can see my days of not taking you seriously are coming to a middle." - Mal Reynolds

#22 User is offline   Lister of Smeg 

• King of High House Smeg

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:03 PM

Thread drift here as well, I'm afraid. I don't think the surface of Jacuruku was placed in the K'Chain Che'Malle warren, because it's stated in the MoI prologue that K'rul created an entirely new warren for it.
Avoid being seen as racist by saying, "I'm not a racist, but ..." prior to making a racist comment.

#23 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:54 PM

The wording seems to favour the creation of a whole new warren, but it's not 100%.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#24 Guest_Danyah_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:05 PM

The events of MoI take place after the Quaint history. Maybe the duo survived the events, but

Spoiler

#25 User is offline   Folken 

• Never throw your life away so easily

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:35 PM

"They merged their power to draw chains around a continent of slaughter, then pulled it into a warren created for that sole purpose, leaving the land itself bared. To heal."

Doesn't say he created a warren. He pulled it "into a warren created for that sole purpose" Based on the wording, the warren was created for slaughter. Which fits with the whole KCC business. Also fits with what is told to us in Bonehunters, so no mistake here. I agree I was a bit confused at first myself, but the passage from MoI doesn't say anything about creating a warren.
<div align='center'>You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are - Juan Manuel Fangio</div>

#26 Guest_Danyah_*

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:52 PM

the-graveyard-for-dead-pieces-of-land-warren? and it existed? why would the KC create a warren for that purpose? On the other hand, K'rul needs dragons to shape warrens, which weren't around.

#27 User is offline   Set'alahd Crool 

• First Sword

Posted 21 April 2006 - 12:00 AM

Firstly, QB doesn't say that the inperial IS the KCCM warren, just that it could be. Secondly, When they first encounter the sky keeps Quick doesn't even know if he's in the imperial warren. And thirdly, the sky keeps had just come from chaos; who is to say that's not their home? They might just be positioning their forces when we meet them, whereever it is.

#28 User is offline   Folken 

Posted 21 April 2006 - 12:50 AM

@Danyah...we don't know if K'Rul created the warrens and with that magic. He brought order to what was out there.

Besides knowing what we know of the KCC, always the fighters it makes sense they would have a place devoted to war no? Warren creation et. all is beyond my comprehenssion I won't even bother to try and explain it. But I still don't believe K'Rul created warrens, all he did was take what was already there and imposed order to it.
<div align='center'>You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are - Juan Manuel Fangio</div>

#29 Guest_Danyah_*

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:05 AM

Idd, one can interpret Shaper of the Paths like that. I thought K'rul at least "made" the new ones. The KC and the Jaghut, mabe even the Imass, already had their magic (hold related) before the EG, and K'rul came here, so I think...that my comprehension of the whole bussiness fails too.

#30 User is offline   Folken 

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:38 AM

the only race said to have kept the Elder God's from coming into this world were the KCC. Hence they already had magic and hence perhaps warrens even. Which goes with my theory of K'Rul not having created the warrens, he imposed the order and shaped the paths between the warrens and brought order to chaos.

#31 Guest_potsherds_*

Posted 21 April 2006 - 03:07 AM

Jen said:

the only race said to have kept the Elder God's from coming into this world were the KCC. Hence they already had magic and hence perhaps warrens even. Which goes with my theory of K'Rul not having created the warrens, he imposed the order and shaped the paths between the warrens and brought order to chaos.

Jen'isand, can you reference that information? I'm aware that the Edur and Andii fought the KCC upon entering the world, but I do not recall any mention of KCC preventing gods from entering.

#32 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 21 April 2006 - 03:16 AM

I'm pretty sure it's in Kallor's speech about them in MOI, but I'd have to verify that.

*sends out Vaiski-signal*
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#33 User is offline   Folken 

Posted 21 April 2006 - 05:08 AM

Found it by sheer luck...took 3seconds even...Memories of Ice MMPB pg 592 (Start of Chapter 15)

"And within the matron resided the sorcerous capacity of her entire family. Power to beggar the gods of today. Power too keep the Elder Gods from coming into this world"

#34 Guest_Duiker.imperial.historian_*

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:01 PM

potsherds said:

Jen'isand, can you reference that information? I'm aware that the Edur and Andii fought the KCC upon entering the world, but I do not recall any mention of KCC preventing gods from entering.

If I am correct the Andii, and Edur both came to th world via warrens. Is this correct?

#35 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:10 PM

So, the Andii and Edur came after the KCCM's presence on Mal(az)earth was weakened enough through their civil war to allow the Elder Gods to arrive, assuming that K'rul didn't refine the holds into warrens inside SD beforehand (where I assume they were residing).
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:11 PM

Scabandari : "Even so we now hold the gate..the path to this world belongs to us" :)

#37 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:13 PM

Still, the Elder Gods were there first.

#38 Guest_uk_unbeliever_*

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:58 AM

Where abouts does the Korelri / Jacaruku and Assail parts of the map come from? (where referenced from i mean)

#39 Guest_uk_unbeliever_*

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:01 AM

Just from descriptions within the texts when people speak about places? good job getting all that info together btw!

#40 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 22 April 2006 - 05:27 PM

Korelri is mentioned multiple times. It's an island continent which was partially destroyed by the fall of the Crippled God more than 100,000 years before the current events of the books. The Malazan Empire has invaded the continent, but by the time of The Bonehunters they seem have been driven back to a coastal strip in the north.

Stratem is a subcontinent of Korelri consisting of a vast peninsula (Memories of Ice, I believe).

Jacuruku was the homeland of Kallor's empire before he destroyed it in a fit of evil to deny the Elder Gods the joy of liberating it. The surface detritus of the empire was hurled into a warren (forming the Imperial Warren), leaving the land bare to heal. It's a 'sister-continent' of Korelri (again, Memories of Ice, but it is also mentioned in The Bonehunters. Assail is a remote continent south or south-east of Genabackis ruled by a human Tyrant (Memories of Ice). It also lies west of Lethern (Midnight Tides). The Crimson Guard and the T'lan Imass are engaged in interests there.

Korelri and Assail will both apparently be visited during Ian Cameron Esslemont's forthcoming Malazan books.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users