• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sp... sp.... spo... sport!!!

#581 User is offline   Tenaka Khan 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 June 2004 - 01:45 AM

quote:
... it doesn't change that the Swiss aren't a competiotion at the european level.
Posted Image
You've awakened the patriot in me Gothos, whom I long thought lost in the dark corners of my anarchistic being.

But seriously, if they aren't a competition at the european level, how come they qualified for the Euro2004 which reunites the 16 best european teams at the moment? And do you really think that the Britains, reputedly one of the big players in international football, played the better football than the Swiss in any way (okay, they were more effective)? Methinks not, though I'm perhaps a bit biaised.

However, I'm quite happy with how they played up to date (with a few exceptions, damn Haas!). They lack a 'killer' in the offense, sure, but at least they try.

There's a last glimmer of hope for the quarter finals, we've only got to beat the French Posted Image

But I have to agree with you that the Euro2004 is quite disappointing in terms of quality football up to now.

#582 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 22 June 2004 - 08:12 PM

@Bryn - ah, the Italians. ok, ok. 94th? who kept the game going for so long???
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#583 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 13 October 2004 - 01:17 PM

Carlos' problems are: age, the star complex and advertising Posted Image

I've watched the game SINCE the 30th, so together we've seen the whole match Posted Image
Frankowski is a nice new addition to the team, good thing the coach saw that he's leading the score table in our league... Zurawski has had a breaktrough and now scores systematisch Posted Image. Krzynowek did well even despite having a REALLY bad cold... overall, the team finally has taken shape, and I hope we won't change coaches again in the worst moment...
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#584 Guest_Falco_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 20 September 2004 - 12:39 AM

How good has the King-Naybet partnership been? Wah, I was most shocked to hear that- Santini has been teaching Spurs a few things I see.

And Arsenal? I haven't really seen turn on the style in a crunch match against a top side...well, ever. Champions league quarter-final vs. Chelsea, FA Cup semi-final vs. ManU...nothing!

#585 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 25 June 2004 - 12:45 PM

MUAHAHAHAHHAHA so long France! Posted Image

Greece - France 1:0 (Charisteas, 65')
let's face it, the Greeks were better in that game! really! can't stop smiling... first England, now France... this Euro couldn't go better... Spain out, Italy out, Germany out, England out, France out... now there's little competition for the Czechs...

GO GREECE!!!!

#586 User is offline   Farad 

• Fist

Posted 16 June 2004 - 11:44 AM

the problem is that any team, which scores, chooses then to defend instead of playing football
that's stupid

@ gothos i agree with you, it is an outrageous decision

#587 Guest_Falco_*

Posted 04 June 2004 - 04:40 AM

He's the current French NT manager- thinks Spurs are a "great" club Posted Image No offence Brood....

#588 Guest_Zakari_*

Posted 14 June 2004 - 11:50 AM

Sod the football...

We won the Cricket series 3-0!

Bring on the Windies..

#589 Guest_Torvald Nom_*

Posted 21 June 2004 - 05:59 AM

Well done to Portugal, they fought really hard and deserved it in the end. I'm only gutted because i had money on Spain to win the tournament Posted Image

Less than 4 hours until England's match. It's a tough one to call, but i still think England can do it. Posted Image

*crosses fingers

#590 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 30 June 2004 - 06:08 PM

I've been rather haphazardly following this tourney. A couple of my co-workers are die-hard soccer fans, so I've been kinda paying attention.

I was cheering for the Dutch, just because my friend "The Rev" was cheering for 'em! Posted Image

#591 User is offline   Satan 

• Hunting for love

Posted 03 August 2004 - 10:18 PM

they shoulda kept him because no matter what, age is almost always synonymous (is that how you spell it? synomous? synonymus? ...synonymt!) with experience. if young strikers (or any other position for that matter) can play with older, more experiencens strikers, they often evolve a lot quicker and becomes better players for it.
Legalise drugs! And murder!

#592 User is offline   Lorn 

• Captain

Posted 16 June 2004 - 12:46 PM

And it was a norwegian referee, don't they have enough money already with all their oil? He was so obviously biased it was laughable.

I hope Spain kicks Portugal out of this championship! They don't deserve more, all that bad acting... Posted Image

#593 User is offline   Satan 

• Hunting for love

Posted 09 August 2004 - 11:15 PM

it's just a show game between the FA cup winner and the league winner. no points awarded in that game.

and could we do all the fantasy football stuff in it's own topic. me head be spinning now.

and so it's done. murphy's now a charlton player and liverpools given a bid for Xabi Alonso. *shuffleshuffleshuffleshuffle*

#594 Guest_Fingon_*

Posted 03 July 2004 - 05:14 AM

Good qualifying there, well done Alonso! The Renault is very suited to these high downforce circuits, it was sliding across the kerbs beautifully at the final chicane. Overall an interesting grid. McLaren seem to be returning to form with the MP4-19B. Looks a bit cloudy there, wouldnt rain tommorow be interesting?!

#595 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 04 June 2004 - 04:01 AM

Posted Image Huh? I take it the Sport thread is gone. Oh well, let's play sponsor-a-sport, and try to discuss more than football and F1 (for the other folks, I guess)...how about...Ice Hockey, UK style?

PS - Rane, I never heard of the guy...
Victory is mine!

#596 Guest__*

Posted 26 June 2004 - 08:49 AM

Gothos Romania if you hadn't guessed are my favourite team I totally supported them in all the championships since Italia 90, even when they got owned in Euro 96, and when they played against England, I was hoping they would win! That team of theirs was great.

I even helped out with their training in euro 96 when they came to my hometown for a quiet practice, That was brilliant kicking a ball with the likes of Hagi, popescu, petrescu, lupescu. WoooooooooooHoooooooooooooooo's!!! Good times!!!

#597 Guest_Falco_*

Posted 24 June 2004 - 10:21 PM

That was just so tight, for crying out loud. I feel sorry for the English that it had to end that way. I don't think Campbell's goal should have been disallowed, because Terry was cynically fouling the goalkeeper on purpose. As for the shoot-out: well Becks missed but so did Rui Costa so it came down the wire and that was just bad luck with Vassell. And Postiga scored the equaliser? Bloody Postiga who has scored like one goal in the entire Premiership season? Thats irony...
--------------------

#598 Guest_Pale Remnants_*

Posted 09 November 2004 - 01:50 PM

Yes "Sicknote" has finally come good.What possessed Bruce to buy that long faced slow talker.

Watching Carling Crappo cup...what's the point...I mean it, what's the bloody point ?

#599 User is offline   Satan 

• Hunting for love

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:10 AM

proper, schmoper! if the ball isn't round, it isn't part of a serious sport!

#600 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 16 June 2004 - 10:12 AM

Greece have been a pleasant surprise, and I admire the fact that they simply will not be overawed by reputations. Also, they work damned hard as a team. Go team Greece!

PS - I can see Portugal crashing out tonight...now that would be funny
Victory is mine!

Share this topic:

• 50 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

49 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 49 guests, 0 anonymous users