Malazan Empire: NFL Anybody? - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

NFL Anybody?

#1 Guest_Hedge_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 09 January 2006 - 02:34 PM

So does anyone else here like American Football? It's getting towards the exciting part of the season and the Steelers are still going although I think they will get spanked by the Colts next week.

My tip for the Superbowl has to be Seattle who seem to be strong throughout the team although New England are looking useful again (but I just can't stand them)

So anyone else got an opinion? (although i'm expecting all you rugby people to give me abuse for liking NFL)

#2 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 January 2006 - 02:55 PM

*gives abuse for liking NFL* I'm sorry, but I have never seen why it was any good... There is like half a minute of jocks running into each other, then five minutes where they all get their breath back, straighten their hair and talk about what they are going to do next. Repeat a million times, until someone scores. Cue much jumping, screaming and hugging each other, and further straightening of hair. Then the other team tries to do the same.
And they had the audacity to name it football, relegating the glorious game to "soccer."
Yeah, I'm bitter! :)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#3 Guest_erisi236_*

Posted 09 January 2006 - 04:21 PM

Yeah and SOCCER is just a bunch of guys running around a gigantic field and putting a ball into a net once every hour. EXCITING!!!!!!! :)

NFL is the best sport in a world. :D

P.S. why the hate for the Patriots? You must not know the pain of being a Boston sports fan, I'd love to see them win 3 in a row and do what no other team has ever done *shrug* Colts will choke once again :D

#4 Guest_bluesman_*

Posted 09 January 2006 - 04:25 PM

We have a few teams here in Gothenburg and one of them were quite succesful at a time but obviously this is a sport which mainly attracts North Americans.

The closest I have ever come to NFL is when Dallas met Dolphins here in Ullevi as a part of promotion/guest game. I talked to a few of the players and was amused that the upper bodies were huge but the legs very slim. Otherwise nice fellows.

Baseball was never big here either but I actually played in a baseball team when I was a kid. They actually plan to build a proper court near my house soon. I'm good at batting but I suck at catching :)

bm

#5 Guest_bluesman_*

Posted 09 January 2006 - 04:33 PM

erisi236 said:

Yeah and SOCCER is just a bunch of guys running around a gigantic field and putting a ball into a net once every hour. EXCITING!!!!!!! :D

NFL is the best sport in a world. :)

P.S. why the hate for the Patriots? You must not know the pain of being a Boston sports fan, I'd love to see them win 3 in a row and do what no other team has ever done *shrug* Colts will choke once again :D

If the US team succeeds in Germany they way they hope(and could) then don't be surprised if it gets more fans than you'd like over the years. US likes winners eh? :D

And since Gothenburg is also the host of worlds largest youth soccer tournament each year I see US teams growing each year and getting better. Just you watch. The beautiful game will conquer your country too hehe.

American Handball(oops football) might as well give up now. (j/k)

I do like the tactical parts of NFL but why o why are their breaks every 2 minutes? Why complain about few goals in soccer(which means you havent watched many games latelly) when there's 2000 breaks every minute in NFL?

bm

bm

#6 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 09 January 2006 - 04:36 PM

The only reason Football isn't big in America is because the advertising companies can't conceive of having something on TV that plays for 45 minutes without a commercial break... No doubt they will try and get the rules changed to have 4 "half times" during the game or whatever...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7 Guest_Hedge_*

Posted 09 January 2006 - 04:39 PM

I just don't like the Patriots. No real reason why. I just took an instant dislike to them. Being English it was more a case of pick a team and start following them so I have ended up with the Steelers.

There is talk of them playing a regular season match at Wembley in the near future so that would be awesome (Might even try and persuade Mezla to come along with me seeing as she doesn't have a clue about what I see in NFL)

#8 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 09 January 2006 - 05:07 PM

Hedge said:

(Might even try and persuade Mezla to come along with me seeing as she doesn't have a clue about what I see in NFL)

I'll come if we can drink beer and eat hotdogs in our seats during the game!!!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#9 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 09 January 2006 - 05:11 PM

Mezla PigDog said:

I'll come if we can drink beer and eat hotdogs in our seats during the game!!!
Its not worth it!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#10 Guest_Sonnyboy_*

Posted 09 January 2006 - 05:12 PM

I don't know what's so odd about needing commercial breaks. The alternative is to expect people to actually go out to the game to see it. But that would require a massive infrastructure investment. Solution? TAKE FRIGGING COMMERCIAL BREAKS.

Anyway, American football (as I tried to tell you all before) is frigging awesome. It's hard to follow from where I live, though.

#11 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 09 January 2006 - 05:19 PM

Tiste Simeon said:

Its not worth it!

It might be my only opportunity to say "Awesome" and whoop with carefree abandon without fear of recrimination!

I'm in Hedge, but so long as you know I'll be doing an American accent for the whole day to go with the sport :)
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#12 Guest_bluesman_*

Posted 09 January 2006 - 05:20 PM

But every 2 minutes?

Actually the audiences are usually larger in NFL games than in regular Football. I can't imagine their costs being that much larger.

Btw. For those American die hard fans who wants to know all available teams , here's our citys team: :)

http://www.gafk.se/

bm

#13 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 09 January 2006 - 05:42 PM

Mezla PigDog said:

It might be my only opportunity to say "Awesome" and whoop with carefree abandon without fear of recrimination!

Ah. You have a very good point. Though of course, I do that when watching Star Wars... :D:)

Sonnyboy said:

I don't know what's so odd about needing commercial breaks.
Hmm... nothing, but all the time? I mean I got sick of it watching Baseball, and I love Baseball (go Angels). And I used to watch the football on ITV, as they had commercials at half time, and BBC didnt - I found the guys talking a bit boring, and the adverts fairly amusing. So, I have nothing against commercial breaks, but I think that American TV on the whole has way too many - I mean 3 breaks in the Simpsons, a 20 minute long program? Unnecessary! :D
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#14 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 09 January 2006 - 08:15 PM

I like the NFL. Their cheerleaders are fantastic.

#15 User is offline   Leoman 

• First Sword

Posted 10 January 2006 - 05:26 AM

NFL, psshh, soooo boring to watch, and so many damn commercials. I'll take soccer over football any day of the week, soccer is so fun to watch :)
On the other hand though, i've gone to a few rider games, and damn is it fun to go shirtless with a watermelon helmet and cheer on them riders :D The canadians know what i'm talkin 'bout!

#16 Guest_Merkur_*

Posted 10 January 2006 - 07:12 AM

Actually i like Football very much, being a "tactical physics".

And i would like the Steelers to curtain the Colts.

Sadly, in this part of the world you get (for "rights reasons") only so much coverage of NFL, basically finals and maybe semis, and it begins 1 a.m, hot action in fourth quarter early morning, no time for me to pay hommage, especially, if i have to work then.

#17 Guest_Hedge_*

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:14 AM

Merkur said:

Actually i like Football very much, being a "tactical physics".

And i would like the Steelers to curtain the Colts.

Sadly, in this part of the world you get (for "rights reasons") only so much coverage of NFL, basically finals and maybe semis, and it begins 1 a.m, hot action in fourth quarter early morning, no time for me to pay hommage, especially, if i have to work then.

Same problem for me. Superbowl night I usually go into work the next day having had no sleep at all.

#18 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 10 January 2006 - 11:00 AM

RodeoRanch said:

I like the NFL. Their cheerleaders are fantastic.
The man, it appeareth, hath a good point. I know some college cheerleaders... I guess there some good points to NFL...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#19 Guest_Hedge_*

Posted 10 January 2006 - 11:23 AM

Mmmm cheerleaders. They really don't get as much tv coverage as they should.

#20 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 10 January 2006 - 01:54 PM

Hedge said:

Mmmm cheerleaders. They really don't get as much tv coverage as they should.
*snigger* some would say they have too much "coverage"!! :)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users