Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"The Amber Wizard" by David Forbes

#1 User is offline   ChrisW 

• Da'tsang
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 December 2005 - 04:49 AM

This is an interview I did with David Forbes a fellow member of this forum who will soon be releasing his first book "The Amber Wizard". It was done a few months ago and I recommend checking out his website www.davidforbes.net where you will find the prologue and the first chapter in the News section.

First off thanks for agreeing to do the interview. I guess we should start with who is David Forbes?

Okay, the dreaded "bio" question. I'm 39 years old, married, with one son who just turned six. I've been writing since high school, mostly fantasy, with some science fiction and horror thrown into the mix. I've been working on the world of THE AMBER WIZARD for close to ten years. The original idea kernel was to write a sort of fantasy version of DUNE in which the main character becomes a relgious prophet as a way to cement power, though he doesn't actually believe in the new god he's worshipping. Most of that has long ago been jettisoned, though there are still pieces of it that will appear in the overall story arc through the five novels.

I worked in banking for sixteen years. I spent most of that time in marketing product management, and ended as an e-commerce manager for a regional bank. That bank was sold this year, and I took severance and decided to write full-time. I'd landed a three-novel book contract with HarperCollins based on their liking of THE AMBER WIZARD and the outlines I'd provided for the rest of the series, so it seemed a good time to make a career of it. I've also written a young adult fantasy novel called FOREVERNESS that's about a fourteen-year-old boy living outside of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania (where I live), who gets caught in a war between angelic beings who are arguing over what they believe is God's plan for the world. It's a pretty cool book, very different from the big epic fantasies, and was much easier to write. It's currently at three different publishers to see if they want to buy it.

The other books in the series -- which is called the Osserian Saga -- are:

THE WORDS OF MAKING
THE PATH OF ASHES
THE COMMANDING STONE
THE FELL KING

I'm not much into playing sports -- don't have the time, and I blew out a disk in my back seven years ago, so that makes certain physical activities kind of difficult. I do work out and exercise regularly to stay in shape and help keep what's left of my back strong.

I read a great deal. Not as much fantasy as you would think, because I dislike so much of it. I love Erikson and George R. R. Martin. Below them, I like Tad Williams (though his latest didn't do much for me), Robin Hobb, Neal Stephenson (though he's not really fantasy), Clive Barker, Gene Wolfe, Ursula LeGuin, Guy Gavriel Kay, Stephen R. Donaldson, Dan Simmons, Peter Straub, Stephen King, and Philip Pullman. I love Alistair Reynold's science fiction novels, and Michael Connelly's detective novels. And of course Tolkien.

Ok, here is a Malazan question for you. What would you say to someone to convince them to read MBotF?

That's actually a pretty hard question. He's a very difficult writer to access. I don't think a person who's never read an epic fantasy before would be able to fathom what the hell is going on, and would quit before they got into it. I think his writing is predicated on a rather deep understanding of the genre, and that if you don't understand how it works -- how new cultures are introduced but not explained until much later (if ever, in some cases), how the maps are really, really important, how his magical system is also largely unexplained -- then you just won't "get" it. There are so many races, so many characters, so many powers, that without a kind of understanding of how epic fantasies operate, a new reader is just not going to make it. They will be lost. I don't think I really could recommend these very long books to someone who hasn't read fantasy because I don't believe he or she could enjoy them. I almost didn't make it through GARDENS OF THE MOON because I didn't know what the hell was going on for a while, and didn't much care. I think that is by far his weakest book, and it's a shame it's the first one, because it really can't be skipped.

That said, for those who are familiar with fantasy, I would tell them that the world-building is staggeringly good, some of the stories are both beautiful and terrible (the Chain of Dogs), and the sheer scope of the tales makes them worth the effort to read.

Can you give us a brief synopsis of "The Amber Wizard"?

Well, I'll cheat a bit. Here's what will be printed on the rear book cover:

"As Gerin Atreyano takes his place as the Crown Prince of Khedesh after his father ascends to the throne, a stranger appears and proclaims that Gerin may be the amber wizard foretold long ago. Now young Gerin's training, both as prince and wizard, must begin in earnest. But his enemies place a secret enchantment upon him, pulling him down a path of darkness. As opposing forces mass across the land, arming for bloody war, he inadvertently opens an ancient portal using forbidden magic. And suddenly Gerin Atreyano faces a dual destiny as savior or destroyer of a world in chaos -- as he prepares for the dread reemergence of humanity's most powerful enemy: Asankaru, the vengeful and terrible Storm King."

Here's a different take on the synopsis from my blog (which, if anyone is interested, is at http://davidforbes.blogspot.com/ I'm using it to chart the course to publication, since I've never gone through the process before.

THE AMBER WIZARD, at its heart, is about the consequences of one's actions and how terrible crimes can resonate and affect the world centuries after they occur. The main character, Gerin Atreyano, is a prince and heir to the throne of the kingdom of Khedesh. He's young, brash, arrogant, and talented. He learns that he has the ability to become a wizard -- which were once a separate race of beings, and whose interbreeding with non-magical peoples has caused their powers to fade until they now stand on the brink of their own extinction -- the likes of which have not been seen for nearly two thousand years.

A mysterious divine being appears to him on several occassions to make cryptic pronouncements about the power -- and powerlessness -- of the gods, causing him to wonder if he's drawn the attention of the gods themselves upon him.

In THE AMBER WIZARD, Gerin faces a terrible dilemma. There is a force of death at work in his world, created by an act of his own making that went horribly wrong -- the use of forbidden black magic to summon the spirit of a dead wizard. Many are dying, and more will continue to die unless a proper balance can be restored. But the only way to correct the balance is by the sacrifice of an innocent, one who must be pure. And it must be done by Gerin's hand. He will also uncover the secret of an ancient crime so ghastly it will forever change how he sees the world.

While in summary it sounds kind of generic, the details in the book -- and the larger story that will play out over the next several volumes -- are pretty unique for this kind of fantasy. What exactly is mankind's relationship to the gods? Is there one god or many? What kind of events would cause a former polytheistic priest to create a new religion dedicated to One God alone, and why would such a new idea spread across the world like a wildfire? Is evil an external, incarnate force, or does it live only in the hearts of mankind?

What about the genre makes you dislike so much of it and how is "The Amber Wizard" different?

I think there's far too much that just parrots Tolkien without adding anything new to the mix. I pretty much don't touch anything anymore that has Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, etc., in it. I just can't stomach it. Tad Williams did a wonderful job sort of reshaping some of those tropes in his MEMORY, SORROW, AND THORN books, which is why I was pretty disappointed in SHADOWMARCH -- it was just more of the same, without adding anything new or interesting.

I also can't stand Dark Lords who are simply EVIL and out to conquer the world. I just don't believe in that kind of evil (and it's something I'm going to tackle head on in my own books). People who commit evil acts don't think they're being evil. Hitler didn't wake up every morning and say, "I think I'll be evil today." What he did was unquestionably evil, but not from his point of view. I think the more interesting fantasies are the ones that show that point of view, who try to make the reader understand what drives a man or creature to commit heinous acts. Far too much fantasy just has some moustache-twirling psycho out to conquer the world for no real reason.

And that, by the way, is one thing I really love about Erickson. He avoids my biggest pet peeves!

Which authors have had the most influence on your writing style and do you see their influence in "The Amber Wizard".

I don't think my style has been influenced by anyone. I think style is something every writer develops largely on his or her own. Are you a plotty writer or a character-driven writer? What kinds of things do you emphasize? Scenery? Clothing? Physical appearance? Do you use dialog to advance plot or reveal character traits? Things like that are often not really under a writer's conscious control. It's more a factor of how one's brain works.

Of course those kinds of decisions are certainly influenced to an extent by what a writer has read and the kind of works he or she responds to. I dislike present tense and third person omniscient narrative styles, for instance. But it's funny how you really don't have a lot of control over your "voice," unless you're deliberately trying to copy another writer. And even then it's hard.

Now, if by "style" you meant "what you write about," there are tons of influences. Tolkien, of course, and Stephen R. Donaldson (though there are things about his writing style I detest immensely). I used to read a lot more science fiction when I was younger than I do now -- Larry Niven was one of my favorites, as were Heinlein and Asimov -- so I'm sure they've had some influence even if I'm not consciously aware of it. And I think I've already said that the kernel of the original idea for this series was inspired by Frank Herbert's DUNE, in which Paul Atreides becomes a messiah figure for the Fremen relgion and uses it to basically take over the human Galactic Empire. I thought that particular point was bascially glossed over -- Herbert was more interested in the uses of power than in how that power was actually gained -- and I thought it would be interesting to see how a person might consciously manipulate a religion to consolidate personal power.

So there are definitely influences, both deliberate and those that come simply from absorbing so much from other writers.

Quite often in fantasy, readers accuse authors of copying ideas from other authors. Is there anything in "The Amber Wizard" that you think may make people say "bah, he's ripping of >insert author name here<"?

God, I hope not! I doubt most writers accused of ripping off other writers actually see that in their writing (though I don't see how Terry Brooks' SWORD OF SHANNARA could have been anything but a conscious, blow-by-blow parroting of THE LORD OF THE RINGS). I had originally wanted a very "normal" kind of historical setting, with very few alien or magical races or monsters, except those that existed in that world's legends (much like vampires and werewolves exist in ours). I had a feudal system set up that avoided terms like "duke" or "earl" and had everyone as either a high lord or low, but then George R. R. Martin came alone and did the same damn thing, so I had to change that. And my agent said I needed more "critters" in the book to make it more palatable to editors, so I invented some monsters and other creatures to add into the mix. I'm certainly not aware of any "rip off" type sections, but then I'm probably not the best person to judge. When you read it you can let me know what you find!

Was "The Amber Wizard" the first manuscript you sent to publishers and could you tell us a bit about the process of getting it published.

No, it wasn't the first. I'd written a fantasy novel in the mid-90s called THE WIZARD'S GIFT that went through endless iterations. I finally did land an agent for that one, but he didn't really get what I was doing. He sent it out to a number of publishers. I received some positive feedback from some of them, but no one bought it.

This agent saw a very early draft of THE AMBER WIZARD and kept trying to get me to change it into something like a few of his other writers were putting out there. I hated all of his ideas, he hated what I was trying to do, so we parted ways. I gave THE AMBER WIZARD a rest for a while, wrote a young adult novel called FOREVERNESS (which is out at three publishers at the moment), and then returned to THE AMBER WIZARD. My current agent read FOREVERNESS first and really liked it, but when he read THE AMBER WIZARD he thought that would make a better "first" novel. So here I am.

What advice would you give to all the budding writers out there?

Getting published is a long shot, so you can't be discouraged. You can't let rejection stop you. I got at least 60 rejection slips from agents when I was trying to find representation for FOREVERNESS.

You also need to love what you're doing -- I spent years writing in the evenings and on weekends and holidays. I gave up a lot, but for me it was worth it. It's okay to write just for yourself, too, or for your friends, or for an online community. That's something you need to figure out for yourself. But no matter what, keep writing.

Ok, one last question. If you had to write a blurb for the cover what would it be?

Ah, I get out of this one! First, I'm a terrible blurb writer, at least for my own work. But I already included the actual blurb (written by my editor at HarperCollins) in one of my earlier replies.

Here is what you will find:

Front cover will say above the title:

A legacy of great power...and devastation.

The back cover will read:

For a thousand years, there have been no great wizards in the world--and even longer since a wizard-king reigned.

Now all must welcome and fear the coming of
THE AMBER WIZARD

>Same as synopsis above<

The inside front cover will have this excerpt:

Hollin withdrew a clear jewel from the leather pack. It was the size of his palm and cut with many facets. He held out the jewel and spoke in a language Gerin thought was Osirin. "Iva trestalkiri paran yi dakhal sethu…"

A spark of light flared at the heart of the jewel. At the same instant Gerin felt warmth ignite in his belly. It quickly worked its way outward into his arms and legs and up through his neck, as if he was being submerged in hot water. He felt the warmth in his skull and on his scalp; when it reached his face a faint amber light filled his vision, as if he were looking through a piece of colored glass like those in the windows of the hall. He looked down and saw that the jewel was glowing brilliantly with the same amber light.

Then the light was gone, both in his vision and in the jewel, as suddenly as it had appeared.

"By the Blessed Hand of Venegreh," whispered Hollin. "It is you."

Once again thank for taking the time to do this and hopefully the questions and your answers have given potential readers an insight into the type of book "The Amber Wizard" will be and the man behind it.

Thank you for your interest. I will keep everyone apprised about the progress of the book. I'm going through the copyedited version right now. It's on track to be published April 1, 2006.

Support David and the site and pre-order through the following links:

Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk

I will leave this thread unlocked so people can leave comments or ask questions of David.

#2 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 01 January 2006 - 11:40 AM

Wow, Amber Wizard sounds really good David. I like your outspoken attitude to generic fantasy titles. I also agree with your assessment of eriksons work. the key to his brilliance is a pre-established idea of fantasy worlds. I think its the only think that kept him from rulling the world:D

Got 2 ask though what kind of influence does a publisher have over your series? If they think the sales aren't up to scratch do they possess rights to alter your story's direction or is there some kind of contract against that?

All the best of luck hope things work out perfectly.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#3 User is offline   tickhill43 

• Sergeant

Posted 11 January 2006 - 07:19 PM

As a significant percentage of this forum is british if there any plans for a british release?

#4 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 13 January 2006 - 07:27 AM

Who did the cover art? What was the inspiration - a scene from the book?

Cheers,

La Sombra, can't write wordy-thingies
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#5 Guest_David Forbes_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 16 February 2006 - 05:02 PM

Hi everyone. Sheesh, sorry for the delay in answering questions, I was checking back for a while and then I kind of trickled off.

Dolmen, as to influence from the publisher, none so far, but since it hasn't been released yet and has no track record I guess we'll have to wait and see. I just delivered book two to my agent and editor. The only comment I got from my editor when I finished the first draft that it was too long at 230,000 words (about sixty or seventy pages longer than THE AMBER WIZARD, which is about 560 pages published). I went through it two more times and cut out about sixty pages, which needed to go anyway -- I really overwrite my first drafts, so this tighter version is much better anyway.

They have outlines of the other stories, but have made absolutely no suggestions or comments about the direction. At this point, at least, I pretty much have complete creative control.

tickhill43, I just found out that the series sold to a German publisher on Tuesday! My agent is marketing it in Britain and he's told me there's some interest, but so far no firm offers. Keep your fingers crossed! (Though it's possible they will wait to see how it sells over here before putting out an offer.)

Sombra, the cover art was done by a guy named Tristan Schane. I love it. His website is at www.tristanschane.com.

It is a scene from a book, in which the main character steals some very black magic from a protected vault. It's not terribly accurate -- the door is much smaller in the book, and has only a single symbol on it, a rune of death -- but I think it works really well as a cover. The artist said the art director pushed him toward a less accurate representation for whatever reason.

#6 Guest_David Forbes_*

Posted 16 February 2006 - 05:15 PM

Dolmen, so far the publisher hasn't done anything at all about the story -- I have complete creative control. I just turned in the manuscript for THE WORDS OF MAKING. My editor said the first draft was too long at 230,000 words, so when I was revising I cut out about 45,000 words. This is really not a big deal, because I overwrite in my first drafts, so the leaner version is actually much better.

Since the book isn't out yet I have no idea if sales will impact the publisher's view of things, but so far they've been very hands-off. My editor's comments on THE AMBER WIZARD were very light.

tickhill43, I just found out on Tuesday that the German division of Random House had purchased the first three books in the series! My agent is marketing it in Britain and has some interest, but so far no firm offers. Keep your fingers crossed! (They may wait until they see how it sells over here, I don't know.)

Sombra, the cover art is a scene from the book in which the main character steals some very black magic. I love how it came out. It's not super accurate, but more so than a lot of covers. In the story the door is much smaller and only has a single rune on it, a rune of death. But the cover really works, I think, in catching your attention.

The artist is a guy names Tristan Schane. His website is www.tristanschane.com. I contacted him and thanked him about the work he did (he said I was the first writer who had ever gotten in touch about a cover and was really appreciative). He said it was the art director at HC who pushed for the less accurate rendition, for whatever reason. It is a lot more dramatic, I guess.

Sorry for the delay in responding to this! I never noticed there were replies!

#7 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 17 February 2006 - 02:21 PM

I've read THE AMBER WIZARD and my book review was posted a couple of weeks ago on the blog.

The novel shows some promise and I'm curious to read its sequel. Give it a shot!;)

Patrick
www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#8 Guest_David Forbes_*

Posted 02 March 2006 - 04:00 PM

Sorry about the double posts, there was a bit of a problem with the forum when I posted them and it looked like they got dropped.

#9 User is offline   Mane of Chaos 

• Sergeant

Posted 19 June 2006 - 03:37 PM

The book seems very interesting! I've too many unread books in my library right now, but I would like to buy it. I wish you all the best, David. Good luck with the series.:)

#10 User is offline   ChrisW 

• Da'tsang

Posted 08 August 2006 - 06:41 AM

I finally got around to reading it, still have not read The Bone Hunters so don't read anything into my delay in reading it.

Not much good at expressing myself but this is my honest opinion.

The storyline itself was ok, nothing page gripping but interesting enough to keep me reading. I found some of the characterisation a bit weak and that was really the only problem I had with the book. They just didn't feel natural and some of the scenes in the book felt unreal if you know what I mean.

Overall i'd give it 6/10. Not a spectacular first book but a solid one.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users