• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why I hate Kruppe

#1 User is offline   Svaran 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 December 2005 - 10:50 PM

He holds that distinction for me as he reminds of something that Eddings would have created for light relief unfortunately I don't find he or his antics funny at all.

Out of all the Characters that Erickson has created he's strikes me as being the aberration.

#2 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 December 2005 - 03:16 AM

See I am of the opinion that he doesn't exist at all for light relief, that in fact he may indeed be the most powerful person in the Malazan world, and that his light hearted nature is simply a side effect of the character. I believe he is that way for a reason, and not meant as you think, IMHO anyway.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3 User is offline   Agraba 

• Emperor

Posted 27 December 2005 - 06:10 PM

Kruppe is, you might say, the words of wisdom. After all, Whiskeyjack and Dujek divined that K'rul picked him because he's the smartest man in the world. Anything he says is relevant to the story, anyways, so he's certainly not an aberration. He figured out Silverfox's intentions, and the T'lan Imass' sole purpose for attending the gathering. Granted, his role wasn't as essential or likable as in Gardens, where he was responsible for half the things that went on in Darujhistan.

#4 User is offline   Called-by-the-Voices 

• High Fist
  • I am not yet done

Posted 28 December 2005 - 03:34 PM

Oh how I hate that little gnome...

I loved him sooo much in GotM, but in MoI?
Puke, puke, puke... :D

And most certailny is NOT the most powerful person in Malazan world...

Tool is:rolleyes:
And one by one the gardens died

#5 User is offline   MecnunK 

• 5324th Seguleh and climbing

Posted 07 January 2006 - 12:51 AM

Hi

I do not think Eddings knows the meanings of half the words Krupe uses..atleast without a dictionary :D

I really liked kruppe in his first appearence but must admit in MOI he got a bit overbearing with his flowery language saying nothing..still I like him..

#6 Guest_malaz3_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 07 January 2006 - 03:38 PM

MecnunK said:

Hi

I do not think Eddings knows the meanings of half the words Krupe uses..atleast without a dictionary :D

I really liked kruppe in his first appearence but must admit in MOI he got a bit overbearing with his flowery language saying nothing..still I like him..

*sniggers* - its funny 'cos its true!

Ive got nothing against Kruppe - thoguh I agree he was better in GOTM. And I definitely dont think he was comic relief. Whilst he is amusing and everyhting, I think he is more complicated than he gets credit for.

I was just think about how he recommended that certain trade guild to supply the armies in MOI (cant remember the one), anyway when the others are talking about how clever he is ('and he managed to tell use the name of the only guild possibly capable of supplying us' or similar) it has already been said by Murrillio that he probably has shares in teh company. Now, whilst he did reccomend the company as an aid to the war effort, he probably does have shares in it - lets face it, he is a bit of a slippery character. Now, why should he just have shares in it? Doesnt it make sense that he should be one of the 'cabal of immensely powerful high mages' who divined a way into Tellann, as commented on by Silverfox? Not only would it help the war effort by allowing continuing supplies but it would put more money in his pocket. He doesnt have to be a powerful battle mage or anything to do that!

#7 Guest_malaz3_*

Posted 07 January 2006 - 03:40 PM

It just occurred to me that perhaps Kulp wasnt the first person to pioneer his 'fooling reality' idea when he closed the rent with the help of teh dragon. Woudltn it be perfect Kruppe to have invented that technique himself? He enjoys fooling everyone else, so why not reality itself?

#8 User is offline   Dagger 

• Interloper

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:27 PM

I think Kruppe plays the game better than most everyone except Quick Ben. I am re-reading MoI right now and he is might be one of the most powerful of all the characters. I can easily see the very end of the book, when devastation is all around after the defeat of the CG, Kruppe getting up, dusting himself off, and not wanting to share a sweet treat with QB.
"I can see my days of not taking you seriously are coming to a middle." - Mal Reynolds

#9 User is offline   No-God 

• Fist

Posted 19 January 2006 - 01:03 AM

I love Kruppe.

The thing is, Eddings didn't write him - imagine if he did! His books would be one character better.

I enjoy watching how someone like Kruppe can play life like a game and always benefits from any chaos that occurs.

#10 Guest_Dryad_*

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:58 PM

I love Kruppe. I love his ridiculously flowery language and his comic relief. I also think he's one of the most powerful mortals (?) in the world.

Dryad

#11 User is offline   ObsoleteResolve 

• Fist

Posted 20 January 2006 - 01:03 AM

Kruppe is definitely not an aberation by any stretch. Tehol Beddict in Midnight Tides and Iskaral Pust in DhG/HoC are those arc's Kruppes.

Kruppe is my second favorite of the three. Tehol is definitely awesome. Must not, however, say more. Except: it is so worth it to get the other books ahead of time and order them from the UK. Even if the price is a little painful (mass market paperback: 17 dollars with shipping).

But, yeah. It seems like every major novel arc has it's "Okay, this crazy, crazy, crazy m'f'er's got something going on. I just don't know what his game is."

.david
-Iskaral's cool in a different way, just because he's so disturbing when his facade fractures and whatever else peeks through.
"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile!"- Kurt Vonnegut

#12 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 20 January 2006 - 05:23 AM

mmm... kruppe and pust can both annoy and delight on a single page, i think their true value is in offering something different to the standard gruff, sarcastic, jaded malazan soldier character, of which there are a lot...

gotta love iskarals hated spiders turning out to be his d'ivers wife :)

also Kruppe actually has a huge role in events, which comic relief characters usually dont

#13 Guest_bc7_*

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:15 PM

one things for certain about those two. It's a damn good idea to pay close attention to what they say, and then it's a damn good idea to try and work out what they are going on about. They are both masters of mis-direction :)

#14 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 26 January 2006 - 05:01 PM

bc7 said:

one things for certain about those two. It's a damn good idea to pay close attention to what they say, and then it's a damn good idea to try and work out what they are going on about. They are both masters of mis-direction ^_^
This is true... the irritating thing is that they are both so important to the story line... I always want to skip Pust, but I know I need to read it (even when I have already read the book. :))
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#15 User is offline   Dagger 

• Interloper

Posted 26 January 2006 - 05:06 PM

I'd like to know to what extent Kruppe's powers are. There's that scene where QB, Kruppe and a few others are gambling and Kruppe is running the table. QB is trying to get a reading on Kruppe and he just can't do it. He describes Kruppe as "slippery".
"I can see my days of not taking you seriously are coming to a middle." - Mal Reynolds

#16 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 26 January 2006 - 10:32 PM

Dagger said:

I'd like to know to what extent Kruppe's powers are. There's that scene where QB, Kruppe and a few others are gambling and Kruppe is running the table. QB is trying to get a reading on Kruppe and he just can't do it. He describes Kruppe as "slippery".
Kruppes powers are stuff like immense control and manipulation. Subtle powers, not out and out uber-cool-pwnage powers like Rake or others like him.
Perhaps his powers could be described as "puppetry" skills. ^_^
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#17 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 27 January 2006 - 04:44 AM

"not out and out uber-cool-pwnage powers like Rake or others like him"
haha I want uber-cool-pwnage powers! What are uber-cool-pwnage powers? *is mystified and amused by Rake's uber-cool-pwnage powers* ^_^

#18 User is offline   Agraba 

• Emperor

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:10 PM

I absolutely love reading every line of Iskaral Pust. He cracks me up. He doesn't really seem like a genius to me; he just says kind, reassuring things as Kruppe would, and then recites aloud his sinister thoughts that he wouldn't want anyone else to hear. I don't think he's even aware of it. If he were trying to pick up a girl in today's world, he'd probably say something like, "Hi I'm Iskaral Pust. Yes, that's it, issue a warm introduction, so as to incite the devious facade of a societally-provoked means of casual companionship, only to conceal that my aspirations are more towards the taking advantage of her physical attributes. She'll never suspect a thing, hehe." Everything he says makes me laugh. But there's just nothing genius about it; it's just giving away all your chess moves to your opponent. In fact, that's exactly what he'd do.

Kruppe is... Kruppe; what can I say? He's the most falsely modest (as the GotM index put it) man in the world, because he'll always make his appearance a fat, stupid incompetent man. That's certainly the impression Coll and Murillio transmit to the encampment on their arrival. Hell, for all we know, Kruppe could have paid off the two in Darujhistan to make all the comments they do. And somehow, he's ending up with all the money in his pockets (and, of course, all the snacks he can handle). And if two good friends are conspiring, and keeping as subtle as possible, Kruppe will figure out their intentions.

#19 Guest_pstanton_*

Posted 01 February 2006 - 03:07 AM

Pust and Kruppe act stupid, but they are probably both increadibly intelligent.

What was it, Einstein failed all his High School math classes? Its something like that.

Its mentioned a lot, especially when Caladan Brood tries to kill Kruppe and fails, that Kruppe is probably more dangerous then anyone else.

Its easy to forget with Pusk that he IS a High Priest, no matter how weird. Kruppe and Pusk pretend to be weird simply to keep their enemies from paying too much attention. If they can convince others that they are fools, no one will be paying much attention to them when it really matters which is when they will be doing something pretty important.

#20 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 12 October 2007 - 06:28 PM

An utter thread revival but I wanted to make a small point about Pust. No other thread is/was as relevant as this that I can find.

Pust underplays his dangerous nature, by blurting out his 'feelings' that are of a most dangerous nature, therefore people think that not only is he a bit mad but that they have the upper hand because they now know his plans so they can take advantage of that fact. What better way to convince your opponent that they are one step ahead of you than telling them a version of events which fits the bill, especially when you appear too mad to realise that you are actually doing it. It's genius in a way, it's his way of hiding behind his real powers. He gives off the impression that he's mad and relatively powerless, instead of conniving and hiding behind a powerful barrier. Just wait and see.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

9 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users