• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#28321 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 26 July 2022 - 12:26 PM

Finished BRIMSTONE ANGELS by Erin M. Evans. It's solid, but a LOT of it feels like setup for future stories. It also mixes a LOT of narratives into one with not just the sisters and the Cambion, but a civil war in the hells, and the Aboleth Sovereignty in Neverwinter....so it feels like too much, while also setting up the Teifling sisters and their Dragonborn "dad".

The book I read of hers before this (THE SUNDERING: THE ADVERSARY) felt like it was firing on more cylinders. But I still really enjoyed this book, even if it felt like "Intro To Teiflings and the 9 Hells" and I feel like since it was one of her first standalone's with these characters, she needs time to grow.

Moving on to more FR with a continuation of my first time reading all the Drizzt novels, I'm at book 7 THE LEGACY. Always fun to read about Drizzt and co.!

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 26 July 2022 - 12:27 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28322 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 29 July 2022 - 04:07 AM

Sort of stalled on the last third of Unsouled by Will Wright. The premise is cool but the book went into the YA underdog in a school setting and I just don't care.

Picked up the Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu instead. Tried it out a few years ago in Danish but it didn't grab me. English version seems better.

This is an interesting beginning to a scifi book. To my ignorant Western imagination, it seems pretty ballsy to write something so critical about the Chinese Revolution during the mid 1900s. You'd think it would be censored. But a bit of googling suggests that it's accepted to be critical of the ideas and attrocities of this era of China now.

Boy am I happy to not have lived in that era and location.

#28323 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 July 2022 - 05:03 AM

Just finished Too Like the Lightning by Ada Palmer.

I enjoyed the early set up and some of the world building, mostly in terms of how the futurist political society worked as there is little discussion of future tech. But, it started going off the rails somewhere close to halfway through. The last third was way off the rails in a bad way.

I came close to DNFing a couple times, but read to the end to see if the ending was pulled off. Didn't realise it is book one of a series.

Minor
Spoiler

Not sure what I will be reading next.

#28324 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 29 July 2022 - 03:08 PM

View PostGwynn ap Nudd, on 29 July 2022 - 05:03 AM, said:

I enjoyed the early set up and some of the world building, mostly in terms of how the futurist political society worked as there is little discussion of future tech. But, it started going off the rails somewhere close to halfway through. The last third was way off the rails in a bad way.

I came close to DNFing a couple times, but read to the end to see if the ending was pulled off. Didn't realise it is book one of a series.

Minor
Spoiler

I DNF'd it.

#28325 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 29 July 2022 - 11:39 PM

Working my way thru the 3rd "Worldbreakers" book by Cameron Hurley.

The "1 year later" timekip from the cliffhangers of Bk2 is... a choice.

Hoping to get through a good chunk of it this long weekend, because I have the 3rd "Poppy War" book on standby.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#28326 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 30 July 2022 - 01:59 AM

I decided to go with Amongst Our Weapons by Ben Aaronovitch as my next read for something I expect I will greatly enjoy, after the last two books I read were okay and then pretty bad.

#28327 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 30 July 2022 - 03:07 AM

View PostGwynn ap Nudd, on 30 July 2022 - 01:59 AM, said:

I decided to go with Amongst Our Weapons by Ben Aaronovitch as my next read for something I expect I will greatly enjoy, after the last two books I read were okay and then pretty bad.

I'm halfway through this in audiobook!

#28328 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 30 July 2022 - 04:14 AM

Loved Amongst our Weapons. Low stakes but really important setup for future books.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 30 July 2022 - 04:14 AM

#28329 User is offline   James Hutton 

• High Scholar of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 30 July 2022 - 11:11 AM

Dawn of Everything by Wengrow & Graeber, after reading this article: https://www.wired.co...-of-everything/
It's hella interesting, was thinking of SE and ICE immediately.

Secret message: "Keep up the good work, yours truly"

#28330 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 30 July 2022 - 06:22 PM

View PostT77, on 29 July 2022 - 03:08 PM, said:

View PostGwynn ap Nudd, on 29 July 2022 - 05:03 AM, said:

Minor
Spoiler

I DNF'd it.

I also DNF interesting premise but didn't grip my interest and was a very slow burner.

#28331 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 30 July 2022 - 07:02 PM

Finished The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu.

Liked the first half but the second half disappointed me. I feel like the book sets up a premise that it doesn't deliver on. It's a book series, so obviously you need to read the rest of the books to get a conclusion but I sort of got blue balls by the end of this first book.

Anyone else read the series? Do the other two books deliver? Especially if I'm not sold on the antagonists and their depiction?

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 30 July 2022 - 07:16 PM

#28332 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 31 July 2022 - 07:22 AM

Started Alastair Reynold's Revelation Space, the first book in the Inhibitor Trilogy.

I realized I haven't read much Sci Fi, proper sci-fi that is, the past decade. I should get around to reading some of the established authors.

So far, 30 pages in, Revelation Space seems promising. Good setup so far, lots of history and advanced tech being presented but not quite revealed yet.

#28333 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 31 July 2022 - 03:17 PM

View PostJames Hutton, on 30 July 2022 - 11:11 AM, said:

Dawn of Everything by Wengrow & Graeber, after reading this article: https://www.wired.co...-of-everything/
It's hella interesting, was thinking of SE and ICE immediately.

'Citing this existing research, and more from a range of social scientists, Wengrow and Graeber [...] represent prehistoric societies as “a carnival parade of political forms,” a profusion of rambunctious social experiments, where everything from kinship codes to burial rites to gender relations to warfare were forever being conceived, reconceived, satirized, scrapped, and reformed. [...]

[...] the book makes quick work of maxims by domineering thinkers like Jared Diamond and Steven Pinker. Chief among these is the idea that early humans, bent on nothing but the grim chores of survival, led short and dangerous lives chasing calories and subjugating others for sex and labor. By the research, many or even most premoderns did none of this. Instead, they developed expressive, idiosyncratic societies determined as much by artistic and political practices as by biological imperatives. For instance, while the Kwakiutl practiced slavery, ate salmon, and maintained large bodies, their next-door neighbors in latter-day California, the Yurok, despised slavery, subsisted on pine nuts, and prized extreme slimness (which they showed off by slipping through tiny apertures).'

Humans Have Always Been Wrong About Humans

#28334 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 31 July 2022 - 04:05 PM

View PostAptorian, on 30 July 2022 - 07:02 PM, said:

Finished The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu.

Liked the first half but the second half disappointed me. I feel like the book sets up a premise that it doesn't deliver on. It's a book series, so obviously you need to read the rest of the books to get a conclusion but I sort of got blue balls by the end of this first book.

Anyone else read the series? Do the other two books deliver? Especially if I'm not sold on the antagonists and their depiction?

Spoiler

The Dark Forest is one of the greatest books I've ever read. The entire series works very well, even if the rebuilding is a wee bit silly.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#28335 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 31 July 2022 - 06:16 PM

Three Body Problem genuinely made me angry because
Spoiler

There were some terrific concepts in there though. I did quite enjoy it despite the daftness apart from that first point I mentioned which soured the entire thing.

I think you'll enjoy Revelation Space from the perspective of what you didn't get from TBP in your spoiler. Though it's not just the aliens that are eerie and frightening in that series...
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#28336 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 31 July 2022 - 06:28 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 31 July 2022 - 06:16 PM, said:

Three Body Problem genuinely made me angry because
Spoiler

There were some terrific concepts in there though. I did quite enjoy it despite the daftness apart from that first point I mentioned which soured the entire thing.

I think you'll enjoy Revelation Space from the perspective of what you didn't get from TBP in your spoiler. Though it's not just the aliens that are eerie and frightening in that series...

Oh, you just reminded me what also really confused me at the end:

Spoiler

#28337 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 01 August 2022 - 12:29 AM

All right, wrapped up "Broken Heavens".

Proper grimdark series. Maark should like this, lots of innocents getting casually murdered, and no true "good" characters. Hurley in general is a very difficult read.

Gonna be moving on to Burning God , the 3rd "Poppy War" book tomorrow.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#28338 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 01 August 2022 - 05:39 AM

Finished Amongst Our Weapons and loved it. Interested in seeing how the various schemes put in motion in the late stages of the book come to fruition, and glad as those make it sound like the series will continue for a fair length.

#28339 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 01 August 2022 - 02:19 PM

Science fiction is dominating most of my reading lately. I believe it was Abyss who posted about Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet series recently. I've never heard of it. I just finished book 1, Dauntless, and enjoyed it. I've got book 2, Fearless, queued up.

#28340 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 02 August 2022 - 03:51 AM

Just finished Rebecca Roanhorse's PLAGUE OF LOCUSTS. It's the sequel to her debut TRAIL OF LIGHTNING, which was a fun post apocalyptic urban fantasy engaging Native American myths and fun characters w guns. TRAIL was more of the same, very enjoyable, fast, great action scenes.

View Postpolishgenius, on 28 February 2019 - 11:27 PM, said:

View Postpolishgenius, on 23 February 2019 - 12:29 AM, said:

Now starting Ruin of Kings by Jenn Lyons, a much-hyped recent debut.

Getting towards the end of this and it's really very good. Some of the plotting is contrived in ways that would normally bother me but it's so engaging I'm not fussed. A chap over on the aSoIaF boards described it as a mix of Locke Lamora, Name of the Wind, Malazan and Chronicles of Amber and it's kinda hard to put it better than that (maybe chuck in a slice of Abercrombie as well). Really confident debut.

Also got a couple of great baddies in it. One character in particular, though their part is not that huge so far, I think will go down really well with the denizens of this board.

And now have started RUIN OF KINGS. It's pretty good so far. I really enjoy the story within a story style and the earbook makes excellent use of the format.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

• 1479 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

75 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 75 guests, 0 anonymous users