• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#28361 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 August 2022 - 05:30 AM

Had a fair bit of reading time on my week off, during which I read through the following:

The first two books of Naomi Novak’s Temeraire series. I knew this had middling reviews at best on here, but I liked her other works and the first three were a bundled package for $10 so I decided to give it a shot. I see the reasons for the middling reviews now. It has an interesting premise (dragons during the Napoleonic Wars), but the protagonists aren’t directly involved in the war for most of the first two books. Much of the first two books is main character/dragon interaction reminiscent of the Dragon Riders of Pern series (though I haven’t read those in thirty years, so take the comparison with a grain of salt). In general, the first two books are slow and take a while to not really go very far. I do like that the theme of equality comes up in the second book, which is one of the main motivations for the protagonist in her Scholomance series, and will likely read the third to see how that plays out and because I already bought it. The writing style reminded me of a different historical fiction novel I read years ago about Nelson’s cabin boy at Trafalgar, heavy on naval themes and duty to the crown. Not to say that is good or bad, just a departure from some of her other works which are heavily influenced by eastern European folklore.

What Abigail did that Summer, the Abigail led novella in the Rivers of London series, which was great fun. I doubt anyone will read this if they aren’t reading the main series, and if they are reading the main series, they have a pretty good idea what to expect. So, I’ll leave it at saying now I know where the comments about how great the foxes are in the other thread come from. They almost steal the book.

The Poppy War by R. F. Kuang. I’m still not sure whether I liked this or not. The early parts of the book are similar to a number of other books I have read in recent years, to the point where some things were predictable. The story beginning with the outcast/outsider at school is becoming as ubiquitous as the “farm boy finds a magic sword” premise was. There was enough character development and variation on the theme that I cared about the main character, and some of the minor ones, though. I expect most of the things I didn’t like about the book are due to it being her first published novel. I’ll read the next one, as I generally expect authors to become more polished with subsequent works.

Long post is long, but I could really use a book or two with some massive mind blowing magic going on. E.g. Quick Ben versus Bauchelain & Korbal Broach or Gothos’s freezing of time, dragons so powerful the dreams of dead ones need to be guarded a la Janny Wurts (if I remember that series correctly) or The Lady and The Dominator.

#28362 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 13 August 2022 - 01:05 PM

I finished Alex Marshall's Crimson Empire book 1 and it was pretty entertaining with a good cast of characters and a fun "magic" system of a sort. I enjoyed it enough to start the second at any rate...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28363 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 August 2022 - 12:35 PM

Decided to finally take another stab at Ken Liu’s Dandelion Dynasty and now I’m stuck right into GRACE OF KINGS and adoring it. I dunno why I bounced off before but Liu’s storytelling has really sucked me in and I’m glad I own 3 of these already on my kindle. Great book so far!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28364 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 15 August 2022 - 05:20 AM

I tried reading Grace of Kings previously, and got stuck as well. I think I mentioned here that I found something odd about the way he writes descriptions and I couldn't get past it.

I started Middle Game by Seanan McGuire and was hooked pretty much instantly. I had to make a command decision to stop reading early tonight, otherwise I likely wouldn't put it down until past 2am.

#28365 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 August 2022 - 05:27 AM

View PostGwynn ap Nudd, on 13 August 2022 - 05:30 AM, said:

... could really use a book or two with some massive mind blowing magic going on. E.g. Quick Ben versus Bauchelain & Korbal Broach or Gothos’s freezing of time, dragons so powerful the dreams of dead ones need to be guarded a la Janny Wurts (if I remember that series correctly) or The Lady and The Dominator.

75% into Jen Lyons CHORUS OF DRAGONS bk 1... worth a look.

View PostGwynn ap Nudd, on 15 August 2022 - 05:20 AM, said:

I started Middle Game by Seanan McGuire and was hooked pretty much instantly. I had to make a command decision to stop reading early tonight, otherwise I likely wouldn't put it down until past 2am.

Loved that book.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#28366 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 August 2022 - 12:43 PM

I tried reading Grace of Kings previously, and got stuck as well. I think I mentioned here that I found something odd about the way he writes descriptions and I couldn't get past it.

I think the first time I read it in batches and in the first got the bit about the attempted assassination, then it times jumps and you get introd to Kuni and then it jumps over to intro-ing Matu and the Zyndu back story, and then it jumps to Jia (which ties to Kuni), and then over to the Emperor and then weirdly to the gods and then to the plot by the emperors underlings about succession, then the bit with the Deer, and then the bandits who take over the Corvee, and then back to Matu...

I read those in about 3-4 different readings far enough from each other that I was completely lost each time I tried to sit with it...

This time I read it all of that in one go and I understand everything now and it's easy to follow.

It also DOES read a little like a textbook ABOUT these things instead of being down and dirty amongst it through a POV....and once I accepted that sort of 'documentary-with-dramatic-moments' storytelling style...I got it and it clicked for me. Now I love it and would not have it be narratively any other way.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28367 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 August 2022 - 12:33 PM

Started Islington's Licanius or whatever series as my lunch time book

#28368 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 17 August 2022 - 05:48 AM

View PostAbyss, on 15 August 2022 - 05:27 AM, said:

View PostGwynn ap Nudd, on 13 August 2022 - 05:30 AM, said:

... could really use a book or two with some massive mind blowing magic going on. E.g. Quick Ben versus Bauchelain & Korbal Broach or Gothos’s freezing of time, dragons so powerful the dreams of dead ones need to be guarded a la Janny Wurts (if I remember that series correctly) or The Lady and The Dominator.

Loved that book.

I will have a look at Chorus of Dragons, once I get through a couple other books I picked up. Halfway through Middle Game and loving it so far.

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 August 2022 - 12:43 PM, said:

It also DOES read a little like a textbook ABOUT these things instead of being down and dirty amongst it through a POV....and once I accepted that sort of 'documentary-with-dramatic-moments' storytelling style...I got it and it clicked for me. Now I love it and would not have it be narratively any other way.

Yeah, pretty sure it was the feeling I was reading a history textbook that turned me off Grace of Kings. May give it another try and see if I can get past that.

#28369 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 August 2022 - 12:05 PM

I have the first one on my kindle, so good to hear that. I'll get to it eventually.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 17 August 2022 - 12:05 PM

#28370 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 17 August 2022 - 03:02 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 August 2022 - 12:05 PM, said:

I have the first one on my kindle, so good to hear that. I'll get to it eventually.

85% now, still very enjoying. The plots are not wildly original but the characters and narrative are very engaging and creatively done. There's a twist established early that keeps the reader always reevaluating what the story is telling them.

#28371 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 17 August 2022 - 03:28 PM

View PostAbyss, on 17 August 2022 - 03:02 PM, said:

85% now, still very enjoying. The plots are not wildly original but the characters and narrative are very engaging and creatively done. There's a twist established early that keeps the reader always reevaluating what the story is telling them.

I'm about 44% into listening to it now---the prose could certainly be better (aside from the title, which I love) but it's not bad. The narrative structure and dissemination of information help make it interesting (though not extremely original). It's a bit precious in places and there are some major YA vibes (which are somewhat fitting for a teenage protagonist), though the audiobook performers seem to emphasize those qualities. It's one of the few audiobooks I actually gave up on after the first couple of chapters, since for once I'd gotten it without reading any reviews first just because I liked the title. This thread got me to give it another chance and I don't regret it (well---not much). I'm enjoying the world-building and the lore (especially the polytheism) much more than the characters or the narrative.

#28372 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 19 August 2022 - 02:35 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 17 August 2022 - 03:28 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 17 August 2022 - 03:02 PM, said:

I'm about 44% into listening to it now---the prose could certainly be better (aside from the title, which I love) but it's not bad. The narrative structure and dissemination of information help make it interesting (though not extremely original). It's a bit precious in places and there are some major YA vibes (which are somewhat fitting for a teenage protagonist), though the audiobook performers seem to emphasize those qualities. It's one of the few audiobooks I actually gave up on after the first couple of chapters, since for once I'd gotten it without reading any reviews first just because I liked the title. This thread got me to give it another chance and I don't regret it (well---not much). I'm enjoying the world-building and the lore (especially the polytheism) much more than the characters or the narrative.

I agree re the YA vibe early but it moves away from it and mostly stays clear. The lore becomes VERY interesting and despite a fairly trite evil force of chaos thing, the story she weaves around it is nicely original.

#28373 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 19 August 2022 - 06:44 PM

Just started The Atlas Six by Olivie Blake. It's supposedly very popular with the TikToks.

First impression from the opening pages, man these two protagonists really need to fuck and get it out of their system.

Also I fear this may be another YA Magic School thing despite what it says on the back of the book.

#28374 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 19 August 2022 - 07:21 PM

By all means please let us know if they do bump uglies.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#28375 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 19 August 2022 - 09:48 PM

And if there is a truck involved. Magical or otherwise.

Yes yes BK, you always claim your truck is "magical" but I'm not using the word in the same sense ... :p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#28376 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 20 August 2022 - 05:07 AM

Just finished Middle Game and I agree with Abyss. I loved that book. I would put that on par with The Library at Mount Char as one of my two best reads so far this year. Will be looking into some of Seanan McGuire's other works, including the sequel (though not really sure how a sequel fits in at this point).

#28377 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 20 August 2022 - 06:38 AM

I've never read Middle Game for the simple reason that I hate it's cover.

#28378 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 20 August 2022 - 05:56 PM

View PostGwynn ap Nudd, on 20 August 2022 - 05:07 AM, said:

Just finished Middle Game and I agree with Abyss. I loved that book. I would put that on par with The Library at Mount Char as one of my two best reads so far this year. Will be looking into some of Seanan McGuire's other works, including the sequel (though not really sure how a sequel fits in at this point).

View PostAptorian, on 20 August 2022 - 06:38 AM, said:

I've never read Middle Game for the simple reason that I hate it's cover.

Oh, I see...
You're one of those...

#28379 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 20 August 2022 - 06:50 PM

As a librarian, it's my professional opinion that you should always judge a book by its cover. Ain't nobody got time for second impressions. There's always other books to read.

#28380 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 August 2022 - 04:42 AM

Did a quick mock-up of a new cover especially for Apt.
Posted Image

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 1472 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users