• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#28201 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 09 May 2022 - 03:34 PM

I finished A Practical Guide to Evil (a webnovel by an author pseudonymed ErraticErrata). https://practicalgui....wordpress.com/

It was pretty good. The author is clearly a huge Malazan fan and it shows especially early on. There's a lot of good military campaign stuff and an Alexander-like rise to power, yet the story stays very much in the "main character assembles a band of friends/frenemies and takes on the world" mode. I think Worm and Ward are better works, yet this is worth your time because the "vs the world" part stays fresh and inventive.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#28202 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 May 2022 - 03:43 AM

View PostAptorian, on 09 May 2022 - 02:41 PM, said:

Started Never Die by Rob J. Hays. Now this is my kind of book. Fantastical Asian Samurai setting, with cool characters, over the top action and mountains of people getting chopped to death.

I very enjoyed this, looking fwd to your thoughts.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#28203 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 10 May 2022 - 09:06 PM

Listening to Aaronovitch's Rivers of London. It's engaging enough, though not mindblowing.

On the other hand, I'm reading Martine's A Memory Called Empire and that is really good so far.

#28204 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 11 May 2022 - 06:23 PM

View PostAbyss, on 20 April 2022 - 05:51 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 12 April 2022 - 05:30 PM, said:

OH FFS...

...so... JK Rowling, David n Leigh Eddings, Richard Morgan, Warren Ellis, Myke Cole, Sam Sykes....

WOULD ANY OTHER AUTHORS I ENJOY LIKE TO FUCKUP NOW AND SPARE ME SOME ANGST LATER??????

Yknow what the worse part about this is....?
SEVEN BLADES.... Just Finished....great book.
Really great book. fast paced, great fantasy elements, some of the bestest action scenes i've read since the last Dresden book, Sal the Cacophony is an easy candidate for my favorite character of the year, utterly satisfying story, wraps up nicely, hooks but no hangers.... and the sequel is right... there... fnck.

My library just notified me that the sequel is in. I had put the hold request in before the upthread exchange about Sykes likely being a bad person.

Dammit.

#28205 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 12 May 2022 - 07:56 AM

Think I'm ready to quit Red Rising 2nd trilogy, more in depth thoughts on the dedthread.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28206 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 18 May 2022 - 03:45 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 10 May 2022 - 09:06 PM, said:

Listening to Aaronovitch's Rivers of London. It's engaging enough, though not mindblowing.

On the other hand, I'm reading Martine's A Memory Called Empire and that is really good so far.

Finished both. Martine's A Memory Called Empire is so good — the best book I've read this year.

On to Aaronovitch's Moon Over Soho in audio, and Martine's A Desolation Called Peace in textio.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 18 May 2022 - 03:45 AM

#28207 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 18 May 2022 - 11:44 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 18 May 2022 - 03:45 AM, said:

Finished both. Martine's A Memory Called Empire is so good — the best book I've read this year.

and Martine's A Desolation Called Peace in textio.

I have both of these from Kindle sales, but I've not read them yet, and I'm glad to hear they are good!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28208 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 May 2022 - 11:18 AM

So I finally got around to reading all of L.E. Modesitt's THE MAGIC OF RECLUCE, and I am honestly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Like half the damned book is about woodworking FFS, and I was engrossed. Probably one of the best slice of life fantasy books I've read actually. Sure, some of it is dated, but overall it was just a really enjoyable romp through a VERY realized world.

I've started the second book TOWERS OF SUNSET, which takes place 2000 years earlier, and is written in my most annoying stylistic prose, Third Person Present Tense, but I shall persevere as I THINK this is the only book in the series written like this.

Anyways, lots of fun in a classic fantasy way.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28209 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 20 May 2022 - 02:13 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 May 2022 - 11:44 AM, said:

I have both of these from Kindle sales, but I've not read them yet, and I'm glad to hear they are good!

The books are incredible. The first one is kinda a palace intrigue + mystery. The second one builds on what went before to make a big adventure story.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#28210 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 23 May 2022 - 04:39 PM

Currently listening to Artifact Space by Miles Cameron and I like it so far like pretty much all of Cameron's work.

A fairly fun space opera with a fairly personal small scale scope so far.

#28211 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 24 May 2022 - 02:49 PM

Same same earbook, seconded.

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 May 2022 - 11:18 AM, said:

So I finally got around to reading all of L.E. Modesitt's THE MAGIC OF RECLUCE, and I am honestly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Like half the damned book is about woodworking FFS, and I was engrossed. Probably one of the best slice of life fantasy books I've read actually. Sure, some of it is dated, but overall it was just a really enjoyable romp through a VERY realized world.

I've started the second book TOWERS OF SUNSET, which takes place 2000 years earlier, and is written in my most annoying stylistic prose, Third Person Present Tense, but I shall persevere as I THINK this is the only book in the series written like this.

It's a fun series. I bailed around five books in because i found it repetitious, but ymmv, some people love it deeply right on thru.

#28212 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 May 2022 - 02:53 PM

View PostAbyss, on 24 May 2022 - 02:49 PM, said:

It's a fun series. I bailed around five books in because i found it repetitious, but ymmv, some people love it deeply right on thru.

I've heard that those that like it just take hefty breaks from it so it feels fresher when the repetitions kick in, so that's what I'l likely do. It worked for me with Shannara with the same issue.

#28213 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 25 May 2022 - 01:53 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 24 May 2022 - 02:53 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 24 May 2022 - 02:49 PM, said:

I've heard that those that like it just take hefty breaks from it so it feels fresher when the repetitions kick in, so that's what I'l likely do. It worked for me with Shannara with the same issue.

That's the method I take with the Recluce books. Read two to five books, depending on when it starts to formulaic, then take a break for a couple years. Some of Modesitt's stand alone science fiction is worth reading too, but stay well away from the Soprano Sorceress books. The The Imager Portfolio books have much the same feel as the Recluce ones.

#28214 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 May 2022 - 12:32 PM

Finished MIRROR SIGHT by Kristen Britain. My opinion of it did not waver, and in the end I really enjoyed it...the ending even made me tear up (first time that's happened in this series)...so I rolled on right into FIREBRAND and I'm already 50 pages in. LOVE this series!

#28215 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 26 May 2022 - 07:03 PM

Finished "The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet" got to say I'm really liking the almost episodic feel to the chapters. It's a wholesome slice of life book, as others have said (though I'm sure there will be those who might brand it "woke" in a negative way) Will definitely read the next right away.

Also finished the earbook of Dark Age. This second Red Rising trilogy is a marked step down in quality from the first and I'm still unsure if I'll bother reading/listening to the final one when it comes out. We shall see.

Today I have started the audiobook of Leviathan Wakes, the first Expanse book. I listened to it as I was training for a big walk I'm doing later this year so I got a good 4 hours into it and I am seriously loving it already.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28216 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 May 2022 - 07:08 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 26 May 2022 - 07:03 PM, said:

Finished "The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet" got to say I'm really liking the almost episodic feel to the chapters. It's a wholesome slice of life book, as others have said (though I'm sure there will be those who might brand it "woke" in a negative way) Will definitely read the next right away.

I like the "Fishbowl"....feels like the space version of the Gryffindor common room. Cozy and relaxing.

#28217 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 26 May 2022 - 07:40 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 May 2022 - 07:08 PM, said:

I like the "Fishbowl"....feels like the space version of the Gryffindor common room. Cozy and relaxing.

Yeah it's very relaxing to read, like you're just viewing people becoming friends and living life. Also, really loving the different types of aliens there. Quite unique!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28218 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 May 2022 - 01:05 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 26 May 2022 - 07:40 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 May 2022 - 07:08 PM, said:

Yeah it's very relaxing to read, like you're just viewing people becoming friends and living life. Also, really loving the different types of aliens there. Quite unique!

Yep, Becky Chambers is a wonderful author who just seems like like things to be cozy and fun.

#28219 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 27 May 2022 - 02:45 PM

Just Finished WHAT THE HELL DID I JUST READ by David Wong, John Dies At The End book 3.
Very much closer to bk 2 than bk 1 with more horror, less humour, it is a lot of fun. It's not brilliant (except for when it is) but if you've enjoyed 1 and 2 in the series it's more of the same... Dave fatalistically narrates their struggle against otherworldly monsters and government plots, Amy tries to be a decent human, John ingests all the drugs lies about all the sex pretends to be a superspy and smashes supernatural horrors with a home-made dildo launcher and arsenal of plastic butts.

Happy to see book 4 is on track for Oct 2022.

#28220 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 May 2022 - 04:35 PM

I am very much looking forward to the fourth John Dies book. Like you mentioned, I don't think the third was mind blowing but I love the humor and weirdness.

Share this topic:

• 1479 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

81 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 81 guests, 0 anonymous users