• Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 April 2022 - 05:30 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 07 April 2022 - 06:39 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 07 April 2022 - 05:07 PM, said:

View PostChance, on 20 November 2019 - 06:35 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 20 November 2019 - 03:52 PM, said:

View PostChance, on 19 November 2019 - 07:41 PM, said:

Finished up Sam Sykes Seven Blades in Black and very much enjoyed it.

I've considered that Sykes series a few times... overall worthwhile?

No clue about Sykes other stuff but Seven Blades in Black is a very solid vengence story with a very entertaining main character. It isn't high art but it is fast paced and action filled. The next book in the series goes onto the purchase when it arrives list which isn't all that common.

View PostMorgoth, on 21 November 2019 - 09:27 AM, said:

You are very much going to enjoy Seven Blades in Black. Sykes might very well have written the story specifically to appeal to your preferences.

33% into the earbook of SEVEN BLADES and you were both very very right w this reco (three years ago), i am enjoying the stabby hell out of this book.

Sykes is yikes….

https://www.reddit.c...cused_of_doing/

OH FFS...

...so... JK Rowling, David n Leigh Eddings, Richard Morgan, Warren Ellis, Myke Cole, Sam Sykes....

WOULD ANY OTHER AUTHORS I ENJOY LIKE TO FUCKUP NOW AND SPARE ME SOME ANGST LATER??????
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#28142 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat

Posted 12 April 2022 - 05:32 PM

View PostAptorian, on 09 April 2022 - 06:33 PM, said:

I love the foxes in these Rivers of London books. The straight forward way they work is so endearing.

Might be my favorite magical creatures.

If you have not yet read WHAT ABIGAIL DID THAT SUMMER you really really REALLY should.

WEAPONS just dl'd to my audible app, very very psyched!

#28143 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 April 2022 - 10:38 AM

View PostAbyss, on 12 April 2022 - 05:30 PM, said:

No clue about Sykes other stuff but Seven Blades in Black is a very solid vengence story with a very entertaining main character. It isn't high art but it is fast paced and action filled. The next book in the series goes onto the purchase when it arrives list which isn't all that common.

You are very much going to enjoy Seven Blades in Black. Sykes might very well have written the story specifically to appeal to your preferences.

33% into the earbook of SEVEN BLADES and you were both very very right w this reco (three years ago), i am enjoying the stabby hell out of this book.

Sykes is yikes….

OH FFS...

...so... JK Rowling, David n Leigh Eddings, Richard Morgan, Warren Ellis, Myke Cole, Sam Sykes....

WOULD ANY OTHER AUTHORS I ENJOY LIKE TO FUCKUP NOW AND SPARE ME SOME ANGST LATER??????

Not in the same league as this lot but see my comments about Pierce Brown on the previous page...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28144 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 13 April 2022 - 01:50 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 12 April 2022 - 08:26 AM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 12 April 2022 - 07:52 AM, said:

Here's something very disappointing... Pierce Brown is doing a Red Rising... Something as a series of NFTs...
https://twitter.com/...OuoBofr1RQ&s=19

Actually the more I think about this the more annoyed I get. I'm nearly finished with Iron Gold but I'm very much inclined to not bother with Dark Age or get the third one when it comes out...

Here's a Reddit thread where people who understand NFTs better than I explain it and why they're bad... https://www.reddit.c...tm_source=share

View PostTiste Simeon, on 13 April 2022 - 10:38 AM, said:

Not in the same league as this lot but see my comments about Pierce Brown on the previous page...

Bloody hell, the logo for the blasted thing is a goddamn PYRAMID.

You can't get any more blatant NFT/Nouveau-MLM than that.

Never read his series, and quite frankly this behaviour makes me sign off on ever reading the whole thing entirely.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 13 April 2022 - 01:50 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28145 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 April 2022 - 01:53 PM

On the reading side. I'm halfway through BLACKVEIL by Kristen Britain, and it's proving to be really great and enjoyable classic fantasy. Think this is becoming one of my fave series of all time.

After that I'll dive into TRANSFORMATION by Carol Berg properly, and then after that I want to get back into C.S. Friedman's Coldfire trilogy as I've only ever read book 1, but own all three.

2022 is apparently the year where I read mostly female fantasy authors.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28146 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 13 April 2022 - 02:50 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 April 2022 - 01:50 PM, said:

Here's something very disappointing... Pierce Brown is doing a Red Rising... Something as a series of NFTs...

Actually the more I think about this the more annoyed I get. I'm nearly finished with Iron Gold but I'm very much inclined to not bother with Dark Age or get the third one when it comes out...

Here's a Reddit thread where people who understand NFTs better than I explain it and why they're bad... https://www.reddit.c...tm_source=share

Never read his series, and quite frankly this behaviour makes me sign off on ever reading the whole thing entirely.

He canceled the NFT project: https://twitter.com/...6dHuH0TFqV4daQQ

#28147 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 April 2022 - 03:44 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 13 April 2022 - 02:50 PM, said:

He canceled the NFT project: https://twitter.com/...6dHuH0TFqV4daQQ

Damage control. That whole post is a contrition that was like "Oh, we were going to make this such a good thing, and we were really doing it to protect this stuff!".....nah, fucker...you wanted to make money on this gimmicky new BS and got caught with your hand in the jar and how you're running damage control.

#28148 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 13 April 2022 - 06:47 PM

NFTs are so much lower level than "abusive acts towards people" though. I understand everyone has a different line in the sand, yet an author deciding to make the NFTs before listening to the majority of their audience, stepping back, and *not* making the NFTs is still a terrible thing?

This post has been edited by amphibian: 13 April 2022 - 06:58 PM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#28149 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 April 2022 - 07:03 PM

View Postamphibian, on 13 April 2022 - 06:47 PM, said:

NFTs are so much lower level than "abusive acts towards people" though.

Are they?

#28150 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 13 April 2022 - 07:37 PM

Well certainly not in the same league as actual sexual abuse but they're a scam and hideous for the environment and that Brown wanted to jump on the train doesn't speak well of his character imo.

I can be mad about that and the other, worse stuff.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28151 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 13 April 2022 - 09:19 PM

Just on this, the pyramid is a symbol for The Society in the books, so it's on brand for this series but yeah it's strangely fitting haha
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28152 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 14 April 2022 - 07:29 AM

View PostAbyss, on 12 April 2022 - 05:30 PM, said:

Sykes is yikes….

OH FFS...

Uh, I heard that Abbott guy doesn't take baths and is stimnky.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#28153 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 18 April 2022 - 11:44 PM

I saw that Fonda Lee's Green Bone Saga was nominated for Hugo's Best Series, so I picked up Jade City, the first novel.

I'm only 50 pages in so the characterization and plot are still being set up, but I'm enjoying the worldbuilding a lot. If the worldbuilding continues to be as good as it has been so far, Janloon could easily join the pantheon of great gritty fantasy cities.

#28154 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 April 2022 - 12:09 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 18 April 2022 - 11:44 PM, said:

I saw that Fonda Lee's Green Bone Saga was nominated for Hugo's Best Series, so I picked up Jade City, the first novel.

I'm only 50 pages in so the characterization and plot are still being set up, but I'm enjoying the worldbuilding a lot. If the worldbuilding continues to be as good as it has been so far, Janloon could easily join the pantheon of great gritty fantasy cities.

I own the whole series, and book 2 is even better than book 1! Have not read book three yet as I’m not ready for it to end, but Lee has definitely made a trilogy for the ages.

#28155 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 19 April 2022 - 03:30 AM

Currently reading The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle for the book club. Thoughts on that will be posted there.

Recently finished the Traitor Son Cycle by Miles Cameron. Decent series, but would have enjoyed it more with a bit of a different writing style. I would be fine with never reading the word kirtle again. I thought books one, three and five were good, with one and five being the strongest. I found the second book to be weak. With the expanded cast, many of the characters introduced in book two lack depth until later in the series (if they ever acquire it - some fade away) and aside from the prologue the first hundred pages or so is just obvious table setting.

Also read the second and third books in Max Gladstone's Craft Sequence (Two Serpents Rise and Three Parts Dead). Really enjoyed Two Serpents Rise and the way the series seems to be heading regarding the Red King's plans and overlap with characters from different books. Three Parts Dead was decent, but I find it hard to get into stories where someone is trying to solve a mystery that is obvious to the reader. Looking forward to the next two arriving later this week (bought a new bookcase, and it still has some space left which is not allowed).

#28156 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 19 April 2022 - 09:45 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 April 2022 - 12:09 AM, said:

I own the whole series, and book 2 is even better than book 1! Have not read book three yet as I’m not ready for it to end, but Lee has definitely made a trilogy for the ages.

This series is one I've had an eye on so hearing that it's good is definitely pleasing!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28157 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 April 2022 - 12:27 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 19 April 2022 - 09:45 AM, said:

This series is one I've had an eye on so hearing that it's good is definitely pleasing!

It's like Fantasy Meets The Godfather Meets HK Kung Fu Meets Urban Fantasy.

It's filled with brilliant and realized characters you love to root for and a rich world that ALMOST touches our own (Kekon is clearly Hong Kong, and Janloon is obviously Victoria City, while other places stand in for America, the UK or Japan) and Lee has stated that if you NEEDED to set it in our world as an allegory for time period, it's set roughly in the 70's as the war mentioned in the book that occurred a number of decades before the book is set is a WWII allegory.

It really is just a wonderfully realized series and I will read anything Fonda Lee writes going fwd based off how much I enjoyed this.

I should queue up Book 3 soon, but I don't want the ride to end!

Also, on April 30th, a prequel novella called THE JADE SETTER OF JANLOON is coming out.

--------------------

Finished BLACKVEIL (Green Rider Book 4) by Kristen Britain, and really enjoyed it. The second half is really crazy, and the cliffhanger is suitably insane. So I barrelled right on into MIRROR SIGHT....which is considered "The controversial book in the series" that some people don't care for...and at about the 50 page mark I understand why that is...but I am completely fascinated by the concept of this book, so it doesn't bother me at all.

spoilers for MIRROR SIGHT

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 19 April 2022 - 02:56 PM

#28158 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat

Posted 19 April 2022 - 05:22 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 April 2022 - 12:27 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 19 April 2022 - 09:45 AM, said:

It's like Fantasy Meets The Godfather Meets HK Kung Fu Meets Urban Fantasy.

It's filled with brilliant and realized characters you love to root for and a rich world that ALMOST touches our own (Kekon is clearly Hong Kong, and Janloon is obviously Victoria City, while other places stand in for America, the UK or Japan) and Lee has stated that if you NEEDED to set it in our world as an allegory for time period, it's set roughly in the 70's as the war mentioned in the book that occurred a number of decades before the book is set is a WWII allegory.

It really is just a wonderfully realized series and I will read anything Fonda Lee writes going fwd based off how much I enjoyed this.

I should queue up Book 3 soon, but I don't want the ride to end!

Also, on April 30th, a prequel novella called THE JADE SETTER OF JANLOON is coming out.

All good, i have earbooks 1 and 2, was waiting for 3, now available so the trilo is imminent.

#28159 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 20 April 2022 - 07:54 AM

Mirror Sight is definitely a weird book - but it's still pretty enjoyable. I also just remembered one of the plot points and, well, I'll wait for you to come back on that with thoughts on it.

I should crack on with Licc Anus 2 and then maybe get the new Green Rider that dropped.

#28160 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 20 April 2022 - 07:55 AM

Yes, I like something moderately popular, enjoy the gush of chak that fills your pants at this revelation.

Share this topic:

• 1474 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Briar King