• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#28161 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 20 April 2022 - 12:39 PM

Maark Abbott, on 20 April 2022 - 07:54 AM, said:

Mirror Sight is definitely a weird book - but it's still pretty enjoyable. I also just remembered one of the plot points and, well, I'll wait for you to come back on that with thoughts on it.

I'm about 1/4 into it now and I THINK I've hit the revelation you're talking about, and it's brilliant! Like this is shaping up to be my fave book of the series so far, just for how brave Britain has been going so hard at this fresh concept for a whole book. I can't stop reading it, and I'm loving it more and more each page.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28162 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 April 2022 - 05:47 PM

Aptorian, on 10 April 2022 - 04:38 AM, said:

Finished Amongst our Weapons by Ben Aaronovitch.

Cried like a baby at the ending. What an ending and what a start. I hope Aaronovitch gets to write this series for the next twenty years and the stories keep evolving.

Aptorian, on 10 April 2022 - 06:53 PM, said:

I really enjoy Aaronovitch story telling. It's refreshing that the Rivers' stories aren't about the end of the world and chosen ones and other kinds of unnecesary raising of the stakes each book.

Every book is about straight forward police work and a secondary overarching plot about a wizard detective and his family and social circle. It's safe and cozy and deeply engrossing.

Still desperately need more spin-off stories about Abigail and the foxes.

Third of the way in and loving this book so much. The characters are familiar and wonderful and the earbook narrator is just so damn good and goddammit if anything happens to
Spoiler

i am going to lose every shit i have had, have, and am likely to ever have.

Abyss, on 12 April 2022 - 05:32 PM, said:

Aptorian, on 09 April 2022 - 06:33 PM, said:

I love the foxes in these Rivers of London books. The straight forward way they work is so endearing.

Might be my favorite magical creatures.

If you have not yet read WHAT ABIGAIL DID THAT SUMMER you really really REALLY should.

Just reiterating, Apt, you need this.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#28163 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 20 April 2022 - 05:51 PM

Abyss, on 12 April 2022 - 05:30 PM, said:

QuickTidal, on 07 April 2022 - 06:39 PM, said:

Abyss, on 07 April 2022 - 05:07 PM, said:

Chance, on 20 November 2019 - 06:35 PM, said:

Abyss, on 20 November 2019 - 03:52 PM, said:

Chance, on 19 November 2019 - 07:41 PM, said:

Finished up Sam Sykes Seven Blades in Black and very much enjoyed it.

I've considered that Sykes series a few times... overall worthwhile?

No clue about Sykes other stuff but Seven Blades in Black is a very solid vengence story with a very entertaining main character. It isn't high art but it is fast paced and action filled. The next book in the series goes onto the purchase when it arrives list which isn't all that common.

Morgoth, on 21 November 2019 - 09:27 AM, said:

You are very much going to enjoy Seven Blades in Black. Sykes might very well have written the story specifically to appeal to your preferences.

33% into the earbook of SEVEN BLADES and you were both very very right w this reco (three years ago), i am enjoying the stabby hell out of this book.

Sykes is yikes….

https://www.reddit.c...cused_of_doing/

OH FFS...

...so... JK Rowling, David n Leigh Eddings, Richard Morgan, Warren Ellis, Myke Cole, Sam Sykes....

WOULD ANY OTHER AUTHORS I ENJOY LIKE TO FUCKUP NOW AND SPARE ME SOME ANGST LATER??????

Yknow what the worse part about this is....?
SEVEN BLADES.... Just Finished....great book.
Really great book. fast paced, great fantasy elements, some of the bestest action scenes i've read since the last Dresden book, Sal the Cacophony is an easy candidate for my favorite character of the year, utterly satisfying story, wraps up nicely, hooks but no hangers.... and the sequel is right... there... fnck.

#28164 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 20 April 2022 - 06:42 PM

Oh I've read The Abigail Short Story and the one about the German Wizard detective as well. They're great but unfortunately now I want Aaronovitch to continue all three of these story settings and I want one of each book every year.

#28165 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 20 April 2022 - 08:10 PM

Maark Abbott, on 20 April 2022 - 07:55 AM, said:

Yes, I like something moderately popular, enjoy the gush of chak that fills your pants at this revelation.

Chaak in Nepali means butthole. I'm 100% serious here.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#28166 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 20 April 2022 - 09:16 PM

Sounds like the kind of thing Maark likes reading about...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28167 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 21 April 2022 - 12:06 AM

Only if it's tarry black chaak. Normal chaak doesn't satisfy Maark anymore.

#28168 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 21 April 2022 - 01:32 AM

The set of the first six Rivers of London books arrived today. Will be starting those later this evening. Still waiting for the next couple Craft Sequence books to arrive.

#28169 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 21 April 2022 - 02:31 AM

Aptorian, on 20 April 2022 - 06:42 PM, said:

Oh I've read The Abigail Short Story and the one about the German Wizard detective as well. They're great but unfortunately now I want Aaronovitch to continue all three of these story settings and I want one of each book every year.

K good. I shouldn't be the only one feeling that way.

#28170 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 24 April 2022 - 07:14 PM

Finished Among our Weapons and it was nice, have the short story collection to read as well but I think I'll go for Kingdom of Death in between, the Sun Eater books have been pretty decent so far.

This post has been edited by Chance: 24 April 2022 - 07:15 PM

#28171 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 25 April 2022 - 06:09 PM

Currently reading Premee Mohamed's THE ANNUAL MIGRATION OF CLOUDS, which is really good. It's a post-apocalyptic novella where the protagonist has been accepted into a far-off mysterious university, and she has to decide whether to leave her mother and community to attend this place no one knows anything about (her mother thinks it's a scam to kidnap unwary girls.) They clearly have technology, though, which cannot be said about most surviving communities. Oh and by the way, our girl also is host to a hereditable, semi-sapient (!) fungal infection.

I'm assuming the story will end with Reid making her decision to attend, and I'm hoping Mohamed will write more and we get to see this university...

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 25 April 2022 - 06:10 PM

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#28172 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 April 2022 - 04:15 AM

Wayfarers 3 -- Record of a Spaceborn Few. Thought this one was real good, maybe my favorite of the pack so far. It does that thing speculative fiction sometimes dares to do, of asking truly radical almost unimaginable questions like:
Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#28173 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 28 April 2022 - 07:55 AM

worry, on 28 April 2022 - 04:15 AM, said:

Wayfarers 3 -- Record of a Spaceborn Few. Thought this one was real good, maybe my favorite of the pack so far. It does that thing speculative fiction sometimes dares to do, of asking truly radical almost unimaginable questions like:
Spoiler

I've just finished The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle and I think I shall start Wayfarers next.

Also re: your spoilered bit, sounds a bit far fetched and sci-fi to me.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28174 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 April 2022 - 12:33 PM

worry, on 28 April 2022 - 04:15 AM, said:

Spoiler

Definitely why l like her work. It's like cozy hugs and nice friends.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28175 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 April 2022 - 03:35 PM

I'm in a reading rut. Have not finished much in the last month aside from Kristen Brtiain's stuff....so I've started (upon TRB's recco upthread) C. J. Sansom's DISSOLUTION to see if it will scratch an itch.

#28176 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 28 April 2022 - 05:20 PM

Started another Premee Mohamed novella, this one is THESE LIFELESS THINGS, about research students studying the ruins of a city looking for clues about "The Setback"--the out-of-nowhere Lovecraftian invasion 50 years ago that wiped out 99.5% of the Earth's population in just 3 years. Our protagonist has a found a journal kept during the invasion, and the story alternates between journal passages and the modern day investigation. Really riveting stuff.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"

#28177 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 29 April 2022 - 01:37 AM

QuickTidal, on 28 April 2022 - 03:35 PM, said:

I'm in a reading rut. Have not finished much in the last month aside from Kristen Brtiain's stuff....so I've started (upon TRB's recco upthread) C. J. Sansom's DISSOLUTION to see if it will scratch an itch.

I know you'd mentioned wanting to start Transformation by Carol Berg soon. Did you decide to wait or bounce off of it? Just curious because you haven't followed up.

#28178 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 29 April 2022 - 01:41 AM

Salt-Man Z, on 28 April 2022 - 05:20 PM, said:

Started another Premee Mohamed novella, this one is THESE LIFELESS THINGS, about research students studying the ruins of a city looking for clues about "The Setback"--the out-of-nowhere Lovecraftian invasion 50 years ago that wiped out 99.5% of the Earth's population in just 3 years. Our protagonist has a found a journal kept during the invasion, and the story alternates between journal passages and the modern day investigation. Really riveting stuff.

SOLD

#28179 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 29 April 2022 - 01:56 AM

Just Finished AMONG OUR WEAPONS, the latest in Ben Aaronovich's Peter Grant story.
It was great. Totally satisfying installment in the ongoing series. Peter shines as semi-leader of a wider group, the supporting cast is great, the magic is fun and original for the series, and in the end we get a great hook for where the series goes next. Also, talking foxes. Loved it, can't wait for more.

Next up, a Peter Clines short story collection DEAD MEN CAN'T COMPLAIN AND OTHER STORIES. The first short was a time travel/alt reality story that would do Bradbury, Bloch, or PK Dick proud. The second was a nice little riff on the classic 'Superman Takes Over The World' trope.

#28180 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 29 April 2022 - 05:14 AM

Abyss, on 29 April 2022 - 01:41 AM, said:

Salt-Man Z, on 28 April 2022 - 05:20 PM, said:

... THESE LIFELESS THINGS ...

SOLD

Honestly, you should probably just grab anything and everything by Premee Mohamed (3 unrelated novellas, plus her BENEATH THE RISING trilogy.) The most normal (non-Weird) thing she's written is THE APPLE-TREE THRONE, where the narrator spends the whole story chatting with a ghost. Her trilogy is full-on "two best friends against an eldritch invasion" (but weirder) the third book of which just came out. (I will probably be rereading the first two soon, so I can get to book three.)

Premee Mohamed and Silvia Moreno-Garcia might just be my two favorite authors at the moment.

Share this topic:

• 1474 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

11 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users