• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#27481 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 15 July 2021 - 12:32 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 July 2021 - 12:26 PM, said:

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 13 July 2021 - 02:53 AM, said:

View PostJPK, on 12 July 2021 - 08:55 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 12 July 2021 - 01:51 PM, said:

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 12 July 2021 - 01:16 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 12 July 2021 - 12:51 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 12 July 2021 - 07:36 AM, said:

I have Witness 1 now. Tempted to fuck off Irvine for a bit and read me some Erikson.

I have emailed BookDepository and asked them why the fuck they'd have a PRE-ORDER option for it when they don't ship it out the day it hits the streets (Jul 1st)....because here we are 12 days later and it's not shipped to me and there's been no communication at all. This will be the last time I pre-order from BookDepository...I'll just pay the shipping next time from AZ UK.

Ridiculous.

I had also asked them, and they replied:

We are currently experiencing some delays obtaining stock from our suppliers. We expect to receive stock imminently. Your patience and understanding is appreciated at this time.

Once we have stock this title will be dispatched to you. If you do not wish to continue with this order, please advise and we can cancel this for you. I am very sorry that we could not have been of more assistance in this matter.

Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Not helpful!

I could understand if these were normal orders, but pre-orders should not be suffering any setbacks like this. The whole point is that you get a pre-orders and you line up your orders to come in so they can go out release day...otherwise it's not a pre-order at all.

I'm probably just griping but I'm annoyed.

I just got an email that mine shipped today. I'm hoping that you get a notification soon as well.

I got my shipping notification earlier today too.

I got the "We are experiencing delays" email...so maybe next up will be my shipping one?

Well fuck. Got an email with a refund this AM, and another email from BookDepository saying they could not fulfill my order, so were refunding me.

Let me ask you a question...why the fuck do you have a pre-order option for books you clearly don't have and can't get....like I've never had a pre-order cancelled before anywhere. I thought the point of the pre-order was that they tell the publisher "We need X amount off the title for our pre-orders, please send them on release day"....otherwise WTF is the point of pre-ordering? Will never do that again, and it will be a cold day the next time I order from BookDepository, this is just plain unprofessional.

Anyways, ordered from Amazon UK and am paying the shipping. But of course now I have to wait till the end of the month to get it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27482 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 15 July 2021 - 12:45 PM

I bet bookdepository was all ready to send out a pallet of God is Willing books. Then Rachel from shipping and handling sneezed on it and they had to burn all the books.

#27483 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 July 2021 - 02:27 PM

View PostAptorian, on 15 July 2021 - 12:45 PM, said:

I bet bookdepository was all ready to send out a pallet of God is Willing books. Then Rachel from shipping and handling sneezed on it and they had to burn all the books.

Fucking Rachel from shipping is the WORST.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27484 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 July 2021 - 03:04 PM

I always hated Rachel from shipping!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27485 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 15 July 2021 - 03:14 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 July 2021 - 02:27 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 15 July 2021 - 12:45 PM, said:

Fucking Rachel from shipping is the WORST.

View PostTiste Simeon, on 15 July 2021 - 03:04 PM, said:

I always hated Rachel from shipping!

My ex was called Rachel and she was an absolute head-do, wonder if it is the same person!

How much is shipping from UK to Canada on Amazon UK?

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#27486 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 July 2021 - 03:42 PM

View Postchamp, on 15 July 2021 - 03:14 PM, said:

7.68 GBP....so about $13.5 CDN. It's not terrible really. and for a hardcover, it's about $38 total CDN, so it's about how much I'd pay for the hardcover in stores here, give or take a few bucks.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 15 July 2021 - 03:42 PM

#27487 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 15 July 2021 - 03:55 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 July 2021 - 03:42 PM, said:

View Postchamp, on 15 July 2021 - 03:14 PM, said:

7.68 GBP....so about $13.5 CDN. It's not terrible really. and for a hardcover, it's about $38 total CDN, so it's about how much I'd pay for the hardcover in stores here, give or take a few bucks.

I see what you mean, it's not ideal but it could be worse.

I am finding shipping costs US to UK are ridiculous at the minute. There is a book I want but shipping alone is $70.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#27488 User is offline   Stalker 

• Soletaken
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 July 2021 - 04:15 PM

For what it’s worth, I just got my hardcover copy of The God is Not Willing from Amazon UK. Spent $36 total including shipping to get it to the US. Not terrible, but obviously a little more expensive to go this route.

#27489 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 17 July 2021 - 10:39 PM

Trying to get out of my reading slump, I started Moorcock's "Mother London" whilst cottage-ying.

This one is much more suited to "at least 1 chapter a day" than Cherryh's "Faded Sun" omnibus
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#27490 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 18 July 2021 - 10:15 AM

After finishing THE GOD IS NOT WILLING which is excellent and you should all read, I've moved onto PILLARS OF THE EARTH. Wanted a slight break from fantasy and as my entire job is now about building a new children's hospital a book about building a cathedral seems appropriate.

I'd day early impressions are good world building and characterisation. Some of the framing and styling is a bit more old school than more recent writing but what do I expect. Doesn't hold its punches though which is good. Feel like there will be proper cause and effect.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#27491 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 18 July 2021 - 02:50 PM

Sitting down with a beer and the god is not willing

#27492 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 19 July 2021 - 02:31 AM

View PostMacros, on 18 July 2021 - 02:50 PM, said:

Is that a penis joke?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27493 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 19 July 2021 - 07:45 AM

View PostAbyss, on 19 July 2021 - 02:31 AM, said:

View PostMacros, on 18 July 2021 - 02:50 PM, said:

Is that a penis joke?

Oh yeah I just reached
Spoiler
as well.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#27494 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderatio

Posted 19 July 2021 - 09:27 PM

Currently reading Woodward & Bernstein's All The President's Men. I know what they actually looked like at the time - because my copy of the book actually has a contemporary picture of the pair of them on the front cover - but I still can stop myself imagining them as Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman as I read.

This post has been edited by stone monkey: 19 July 2021 - 09:28 PM

If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#27495 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 20 July 2021 - 11:20 PM

The God is Not Willing just arrived. Putting aside my reread of Sword of the Lictor until I have devoured this.

#27496 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 July 2021 - 03:01 AM

Having finished my reread of TGINW, am now back into CHILDREN OF RUIN and this is a very very very good book.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27497 User is offline   Zeto Demerzel 

• Sergeant

Posted 22 July 2021 - 07:04 AM

Reading the last of the Dragaera books (that are out) and the final Paarfi book in The Baron of Magister Valley. It's an interesting enough Count of Monte Cristo retelling. Also working my way through Siege of Terra 5 - Mortis which has been heavy going but looks like it might be building up to something big.

#27498 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 22 July 2021 - 07:47 AM

Karsa Said No just gets better and better doesn't it?
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#27499 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 22 July 2021 - 10:02 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 July 2021 - 12:32 PM, said:

Well fuck. Got an email with a refund this AM, and another email from BookDepository saying they could not fulfill my order, so were refunding me.

Let me ask you a question...why the fuck do you have a pre-order option for books you clearly don't have and can't get....like I've never had a pre-order cancelled before anywhere. I thought the point of the pre-order was that they tell the publisher "We need X amount off the title for our pre-orders, please send them on release day"....otherwise WTF is the point of pre-ordering? Will never do that again, and it will be a cold day the next time I order from BookDepository, this is just plain unprofessional.

I haven't used BD since they got bought by Amazon, so I don't know what they're like now since that was a decade ago and maybe they are just that out of touch, but quite honestly that sounds like the publisher's fault. Like they underestimated interest, ordered an initial low first printing, and then prioritised Amazon proper because they're the big customer. I know my brother's local Waterstones didn't have it, either of them, and had to order the copy he got for me in from another store, and that's unusual for a Malazan book so it sounds like stocks of it are just generally low.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#27500 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 July 2021 - 11:16 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 22 July 2021 - 10:02 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 July 2021 - 12:32 PM, said:

I haven't used BD since they got bought by Amazon, so I don't know what they're like now since that was a decade ago and maybe they are just that out of touch, but quite honestly that sounds like the publisher's fault. Like they underestimated interest, ordered an initial low first printing, and then prioritised Amazon proper because they're the big customer. I know my brother's local Waterstones didn't have it, either of them, and had to order the copy he got for me in from another store, and that's unusual for a Malazan book so it sounds like stocks of it are just generally low.

Then why tell me it’s shipped to their warehouse and would soon be on its way to me?

I dunno, I’m still grumpy.

Share this topic:

• 1478 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

36 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 36 guests, 0 anonymous users