• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#26801 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 December 2020 - 10:11 PM

Fowl was a fun enough wee series. Definitely very YA, for some reason it gets held up against potter as a comparison, possibly just because of the general time of its original popularity.

It's a lot more whimsical and fun

#26802 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 17 December 2020 - 10:14 PM

Just finished two of swords volume two.

Parker has the irritating habit of characters reading something and not finishing the sentences so we don't know what has gobsmacked them, a rare weak point for me in his otherwise enjoyable writing, it's an acceptable tool to use once for a 'cliffhanger' (spoiler, not a cliffhanger) but it's over used.

It's quite meandering, but fun so far. The Belly brothers storyline is just bloody ridiculous though

#26803 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 December 2020 - 03:24 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 16 December 2020 - 10:22 AM, said:

I would very much support the earlier recommendation for Unconquerable Sun. It was a great space opera that engaged me and made me want to learn more about the world and the story.

I just finished The Bone Shard Daughter by Andrea Stewart. It was by no means mindblowing, but it was a fresh and entertaining fantasy take that I enjoyed from beginning to end. I will definitely pick up the sequel when it turns up.

I finished Unconquerable Sun a few days ago and would third the recommendation. It's been a while since I ventured into the space opera genre, but I found it thouroughly enjoyable and will definitely be watching for the sequel.

I just finished Cyador's Heirs by L. E. Modesitt Jr. I found it a bit above the average Recluse novel, but not the best in the series.

Currently reading Brief Cases because I somehow never got around to reading it earlier, to be followed by Snuff By Terry Pratchett as I needed something lightish while recovering from surgery and that got me interested in Discworld again.

#26804 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 20 December 2020 - 08:07 PM

Finished Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer. It was okay, not really sure about how much potential I see in a whole series with that writing. Definitely interesting with a kid villain with a heart of gold, the story just lacks depth.

I think I'll try out book 2 as well.

Started the seventh and hopefully last Witcher book, Lady of the Lake by Andrzej Sapkowski. I actually started this book in the spring but then a pandemic and stuff distracted me. I'm about a hundred pages in and once again I'm struck by how much I hate Sapkowski's storytelling style. First a chapter with a bunch of Wizards in the future dreaming about the events of the series. Then a chapter with Geralt and co telling a story about what they've been doing since the last book, while the author also tells the story of what they're doing while telling the story - Fucking just write the story!

I hate these books.

#26805 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 20 December 2020 - 08:48 PM

I read fowl years ago, there is a bit of an uptick in quality, but if you don't like book one, it's more of the Same to come. But they're so short you may as well try book two

#26806 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 20 December 2020 - 08:56 PM

Aye the first Fowl book was a very quick read, which makes it an easy investment in time.

In the same vein, any of you read Garth Nix? I've been thinking of checking out some of his works. Maybe Sabriel?

#26807 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 20 December 2020 - 09:59 PM

View PostAptorian, on 20 December 2020 - 08:56 PM, said:

In the same vein, any of you read Garth Nix? I've been thinking of checking out some of his works. Maybe Sabriel?

I like Sabriel. Just recently re-read it actually. It's not a super-classic or anything, but it's got a neat combination of charming whimsy and cool concepts and the characters are fun. Worth a try. Also I really just like the little world he's built for it.

I remember not liking Lirael as much back in the day, but I think that was in large part due to expecting a more direct continuation of the story than I intially got, I don't think it was a bad book or anything. Wanna re-read it and the final one (which I'm sure I also read but don't remember) and get onto the more recent revisits to the world.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#26808 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 21 December 2020 - 12:51 AM

I have finished the Crescent City book 1 on audiobook. It was... I dunno part of it was infuriatingly cheesy and trope heavy and the dialogue is frustrating for much of it, with some truly cringe inducing eye rolling moments.
Yet I kept going. It was a world well thought out and I actually think I'll listen to the next one when it comes out.

I am now listening to THE BLADE ITSELF by Abercrombie which will be my first introduction to his works. I'm already liking the narrator.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#26809 User is offline   Zeto Demerzel 

• Sergeant

Posted 21 December 2020 - 05:51 AM

Just finished, in quick succession, the first two books of The Siege of Terra (Horus Heresy) - The Solar War and The Lost and the Damned. Pretty fun reads those, especially the first book.

Now reading The Traitor Son 3 - The Dread Wyrm and it's been very good so far.

This post has been edited by Zeto Demerzel: 21 December 2020 - 07:14 AM

#26810 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 22 December 2020 - 02:51 AM

I just finished The Delirium Brief, but I can't talk now. I have to start The Labyrinth Index immediately. I have no words to sufficiently describe how awesome that was.

#26811 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 22 December 2020 - 05:57 AM

Yeah, Delirium Brief is when the series suddenly takes a sharp turn and things get very... Interesting.

#26812 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 22 December 2020 - 07:27 PM

Finished the seventh Witcher book, Lady of the Lake. It was a bad book and unsurprisingly, the ending to the series also sucked.

If I could travel back in time, I'd tell myself to read the two story compilations that start out the modern publication order and forget about the actual book series.

Started Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin.

This appears to be a classic vampire novel, set in the Victorian era, only in the US - in New Orleans and on the Mississipi. The fact that it seems like such a classic premise is perhaps the most alluring thing in this day and age of urban fantasy and pouty teen vampires. Apparently, Martin wrote it in 1982, I'm guessing on the heels of the popularity of Anne Rice's novels?

#26813 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 December 2020 - 11:00 PM

View PostJPK, on 22 December 2020 - 02:51 AM, said:

I just finished The Delirium Brief, but I can't talk now. I have to start The Labyrinth Index immediately. I have no words to sufficiently describe how awesome that was.

This is the correct reaction.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#26814 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 23 December 2020 - 04:43 AM

Currently close to the ending of Forged which has been good but not awesomely so.

Will probably start Ten Arrows of Iron next, since i greatly enjoyed Seven Blades in Black.

View PostAptorian, on 22 December 2020 - 07:27 PM, said:

If I could travel back in time, I'd tell myself to read the two story compilations that start out the modern publication order and forget about the actual book series.

We've all been there.

#26815 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 24 December 2020 - 02:57 AM

Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik. Writing style and pacing seems somewhat similar to C. J. Cherryh's fantasy work so far.

#26816 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 24 December 2020 - 08:35 PM

Finished Fevre Dream by George R R Martin. Can't recommend it.

This felt like a mediocre novel that time has passed by. It's neither as historically interesting as it could have been, nor supernatural enough to satisfy my expectations of a vampire story.

Something I find frustrating about the post- modern takes on vampires and other fantasy creatures is the erosion of the mysticism and danger that surrounds these historical monsters. When you strip away the fantastic, weird and folklore of the vampire and instead just make them immortal people who drink blood you destroy the purpose of the creature. It's supposed to be an unknown entity, bordering the line between life and death and most importantly it's supposed to be an evil monster. Tragic and romantic perhaps, in a melancholy sort of way at a distance but still an unholy creature.

I'd blame Anne Rice for this but really it's all Bram Stoker's fault.

Also Read Garth Nix new short story called The Necessary Arthur. It's about an archeology PHD student that at random gets selected as a player in a galactic game of destiny manipulation. She's selected to be a Merlin and has to find and protect a future King Arthur.

An interesting idea that feels a bit rushed - Or maybe failed TV-pilot. However I also suspect there'll be more episodes.

Thinking about what to start next, I'll let you guys chime in. I've got the following pulling at me:

Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. I'm not fond of the other stuff I've read by him so I'm a bit hesitant.

Gaunt's Ghosts by Dan Abnet

The House on the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

Harrow the Ninth by Tamsin Muir. I can't get past the first few pages.

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. Had this on my shelf for ages but it seems like an unfinished or very slowly published series?

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 24 December 2020 - 08:39 PM

#26817 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia

Posted 24 December 2020 - 09:05 PM

I wouldn't let that put you off Neverwhere, it works as a standalone. I don't remember anticipating a sequel when I read it. I'd say it's fairly typical Gaiman fare (not his best, not his worst); if you like his books you know what you're getting.

I enjoyed Garth Nix when I was younger. I don't know how well they hold up, but I'd expect them to be decent if not astounding. I preferred Lirael to Sabriel but I suspect it's a matter of which you read first.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#26818 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 December 2020 - 09:40 PM

I'm pretty sure neverwhere doesn't have a sequel, it's a complete story in and of itself.

#26819 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 24 December 2020 - 09:46 PM

I just googled Neverwhere and it turns out the internet is just lying to me. Gaiman had said he's working on a sequel but apparently the novel was originally only meant to create a litterary version of TV project Gaiman was working on and flesh out the story in the process.

I think it might get priority as it's less of an investment than the other books.

#26820 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 24 December 2020 - 09:58 PM

Yeah the Neverwhere book basically arose out of Gaiman's frustration with the TV process and him putting everything that needed to be cut from his script into the novel.

Out of those lot it is the one I'd pick yeah.

I wouldn't base anything on a sequel: Gaiman has claimed potential or in-progress sequels for American Gods, Neverwhere, a midquel to Stardust and The Graveyard Book and none of them have happened.

This post has been edited by polishgenius: 24 December 2020 - 10:00 PM

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

Share this topic:

• 1479 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

52 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 52 guests, 0 anonymous users