• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#26761 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:14 PM

View Postamphibian, on 21 November 2020 - 07:47 PM, said:

Some parts of Unconquerable Sun are palace intrigue stuff and then the rest is kinda a giant action sequence that moves from small unit stuff to a desperate space battle.

I would say it fits nicely in the space opera category.

Just to be clear, it's Sun Eater (or at least the first book thereof) we're debating the space operaness of. Don't think there's much argument about Unconquerable Sun.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#26762 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 November 2020 - 08:24 PM

I'm reading the fifth Murderbot book, Network Effect. I'm a bit miffed by this one. It's a full length novel but so far, 100 pages in, it just seems to be the same kind of Murderbot story. I was expecting something more expansive, with more plot and world building.

Still entertaining though.

#26763 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 23 November 2020 - 10:05 AM

Read Volume 2 of the Boys this morning.

My assessement remains the same. This is a fucked up comic.

Love sausage is a great super hero name.

I've only seen one or two episodes of the TV-show but I'm surprised at how different the comic and show are to one another. At least the initial set-up.

This post has been edited by Incredible Aptorian: 23 November 2020 - 10:07 AM

#26764 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 November 2020 - 02:35 PM

On to Orb, Scepter, Throne as part of the series reread. I don't remember this book at all...

#26765 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 November 2020 - 04:01 PM

View PostChance, on 10 November 2020 - 04:47 PM, said:

Finished up the The Tyrant Baru Cormorant and while there are aspects that are brilliant and the writing only really gets better along the way, this is one of those series where I wonder didn't this dude want to write a master thesis rather than a fantasy novel. I was hoping for more nuance and perspective along the way but I'm not going to go into details it would sound like they are worse books than they actually are.

Was about halfway thru TYRANT when RHYTHM OF WAR landed and decided to pause Baru. After half i needed something a little more engaging. I will go back to it, but was finding that while there were parts i enjoyed, i was very much feeling middle-book syndrome, a sense of placeholder setting up for the fourth book. Irony because 2 had such a glorious breakneck pace. The writing is better, the world is becoming more and more interesting, but i am finding there is more talk about 'the plan' than actual progress with it.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#26766 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 23 November 2020 - 06:23 PM

Just finished up Ballistic Kiss and Kadreys Sandman Slim is ridiculous entertaining as usual, probably because Stark is very much the murderous antisocial train wreck version of Harry Dresden.

View PostAbyss, on 23 November 2020 - 04:01 PM, said:

Was about halfway thru TYRANT when RHYTHM OF WAR landed and decided to pause Baru. After half i needed something a little more engaging. I will go back to it, but was finding that while there were parts i enjoyed, i was very much feeling middle-book syndrome, a sense of placeholder setting up for the fourth book. Irony because 2 had such a glorious breakneck pace. The writing is better, the world is becoming more and more interesting, but i am finding there is more talk about 'the plan' than actual progress with it.

I really think he missed out on making Falcrest more complex and less of an evil caricature, someone from there that was likeable would have been a good start. The usual tech making no sense also applies which I hate. Still I probably like the book since I both remember it vividly and care enough to criticize it.

Thinking of starting Rhythm of War just because I'm a stupid idiot for finishing any series where I like a tiny bit of it. I probably shouldn't start it however since I most likely will hate it :D

This post has been edited by Chance: 23 November 2020 - 06:29 PM

#26767 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 24 November 2020 - 04:35 PM

Ready Player Two... Huh, didn't even know that was a thing...

I'm in a bit of a reading funk atm nothing taking my fancy, I may check this out though....

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#26768 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 25 November 2020 - 09:30 AM

Gone back to Thomas WHATAREYOUDOING again. He just reached the citadel thingy with a very tired Bigboi Wavechaser.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#26769 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 25 November 2020 - 03:16 PM

I read the Deathless series by Peter Newman. Wow. Really inventive world building, strong characters, and a great story in three parts.

He's able to set up a demons vs humans dynamic in the beginning that morphs into something else entirely and it's just well done and well written. There's some palace intrigue, plenty of action, exploration scenes, small character studies. Highly recommend it.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#26770 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 25 November 2020 - 03:41 PM

How does Deathless compare to the Vagrant series? I found myself being curious about the Vagrant series but not being satisfied by the plot and ending. Frankly the subversion of good and bad felt hamfisted in the Vagrant.

#26771 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 25 November 2020 - 06:18 PM

Found myself looking for some classic SF instead of doing something insane like starting on Rythm of War.

So found myself reading Mindstar Rising by Peter F Hamilton, perhaps not a 5 out of 5 but easily 4,5. Slightly retro cyberpunk with psionics thrown in for good measure and a both amazingly dystopia/cynical and at the same time optimistic world and story. Should have read it years ago is the verdict and will read the rest of the series.

Also looking back at the years reading I think I need to go for a record, only 16 more books to beat my 2013 record should be doable maybe :D .

This post has been edited by Chance: 25 November 2020 - 06:23 PM

#26772 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 26 November 2020 - 03:20 AM

View PostIncredible Aptorian, on 25 November 2020 - 03:41 PM, said:

How does Deathless compare to the Vagrant series? I found myself being curious about the Vagrant series but not being satisfied by the plot and ending. Frankly the subversion of good and bad felt hamfisted in the Vagrant.

More of a multi layered plot in Deathless, as there's more of a main cast each doing things. There's no goat type characters. Still some blending of good/bad, yet the bad guy stays bad.

#26773 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 29 November 2020 - 06:08 PM

Read Network effect, the fifth and first full length, Murderbot book by Martha Wells.

It was just okay, which is a disappointment. Like the other books, the Murderbot stories strength relies on Murderbots personality and the efficient manner in which the combat usually unfolds. The problem is that this is the same formula of story she's told in all the books now and it's kind of worn out its interest for me. The story is suitable for a couple of short stories. Not a full length novel. Network Effect is surprisingly unambitious and fails to use the increased page count to expand the universe or tell a more complex story.

Still love the antagonistic friendship between Murderbot and ART.

Also read three TOR short stories that popped up in the kindle recommendation list.

One was Yellow and the perception of reality by Maureen F. McHugh. An okay story but not particularly sci-fi even though you think there's more coming, I could see the setup for something more X-files like.

The second was Solution by Brian Evenson. This felt like undercooked "fanfic" story attempting to write something like Lovecraft or the Outer Limits. Very unoriginal.

The third one was Everything is fine by Matthew Pridham. Now this one was cool. You should read it. Imagine the final stages of Charles Stross' Laundry Files' Case Nightmare Green-scenario. It's about a business guy getting ready to go work on the day he's up for a performance review - And something very bad is happening to the world outside his apartment.

Here's a link for the free version on TOR. You can also buy it on kindle:

https://www.tor.com/...am/#more-597243

This post has been edited by Incredible Aptorian: 29 November 2020 - 06:15 PM

#26774 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 30 November 2020 - 05:16 AM

View PostThe Incredible Aptorian, on 29 November 2020 - 06:08 PM, said:

Read Network effect, the fifth and first full length, Murderbot book by Martha Wells.

It was just okay, which is a disappointment. Like the other books, the Murderbot stories strength relies on Murderbots personality and the efficient manner in which the combat usually unfolds. The problem is that this is the same formula of story she's told in all the books now and it's kind of worn out its interest for me. The story is suitable for a couple of short stories. Not a full length novel. Network Effect is surprisingly unambitious and fails to use the increased page count to expand the universe or tell a more complex story.

Still love the antagonistic friendship between Murderbot and ART.

You are cold and dead inside and I condescedingly Disagree... we got way more of Murderbot interacting with his humans, and ART, three or four major action sequences, a huge finale... basically everything beloved in the short stories but more and just as great.
The extra ART alone was worthwhile and, like, who hurt you man? Honestly....

#26775 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 30 November 2020 - 08:06 AM

I just don't think enough happened and the baddies this time around were a bit... eh.

Spoiler

The pace and the density of story should have been higher.

This post has been edited by The Incredible Aptorian: 30 November 2020 - 08:06 AM

#26776 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 01 December 2020 - 03:59 AM

View PostThe Incredible Aptorian, on 30 November 2020 - 08:06 AM, said:

I just don't think enough happened and the baddies this time around were a bit... eh.

Spoiler

The pace and the density of story should have been higher.

I liked what she did with that. It built on the setting without intro'ing wildly new unnecessary elements.
Spoiler

#26777 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 02 December 2020 - 07:41 PM

View PostBriar King, on 01 December 2020 - 01:11 AM, said:

I feel like an utter loser. It’s not to often I give up on something once I begin it but I just couldn’t stomach it anymore... RIP Malazan read through. 4/25/17-11/17/20

Outlander 5 stopped 11/17/20 as well. Such a shame but fuck those were a boring 76 out of 1443 pgs I got through.

Dude, life is too short to waste time on things that you're not enjoying. You don't have to feel bad for bailing on something when your time could be spent enjoying something else instead. Fwiw, I've not touched TtH in about 5 weeks at this point. I'm into the last quarter, and I know the payoff is coming, but I just haven't been able to push myself through to it. I've been choosing to spend my time listening to The Last Podcast on the Left instead which in turn has inspired me to start reading The Satanic Bible by Anton Lavey. Only 100 pages into it, but it's rather entertaining.

#26778 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 December 2020 - 08:17 PM

I bailed early on TtH reread, not touching Malazan until we get to the ascendancy trilogy.

Don't sweat it, I didn't enjoy the books after RG first time and forcing myself through RotCG and Stoneweilder was painful and pointless. I knew I wasn't going to improve my feelings on TtH and my problems with the final duo of the series are massive so fuck that noise.

I reread the full 15 gaunt books instead of TtH that month, far better use of my time

#26779 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 05 December 2020 - 10:51 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 03 November 2020 - 02:54 AM, said:

Since I've finished all the Dresden books I'm now reading something called The Binding by Bridget Collins. Looks quite interesting tbf.

It was not. Liked the concept but after 250+ pages I bailed. Was just... Meh. Can't really describe it better tbh I just didn't want to read on.

I have today started a fascinating looking story called The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#26780 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 06 December 2020 - 05:20 AM

I finished the most recent Alex Verus book, Forged. Holy moly, the action scenes are the very best ever in the series. There's a heist scene that's honestly legendary. It must have been so much fun to write.

It feels like Jacka finally got Verus to a place where the cool stuff, the plot stuff, and the dangerous risks are all in sync.

Abyss, if you have the space for it on your reading list, get to it sooner rather than later.

Share this topic:

• 1479 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

22 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 22 guests, 0 anonymous users