Reading at t'moment?

#26461 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 August 2020 - 03:04 PM

View PostAbyss, on 24 July 2020 - 03:07 PM, said:

Resumed EMPIRE OF GOLD yesterday...

Yknow that feeling when even tho you're familiar with an author and are 100% certain the crash is coming, they do it in a way that knocks you sideways... and then they do it again, and again.

Well, that. Chakarabortay has this lovely talent for steadily engaging the reader in the characters and then abruptly catapulting us kicking and screaming back into the bigger fantasy story to blow our minds.

Just Finished EMPIRE OF GOLD, and thus, Shannen Chakarabortay's DAEVABAD trilo.

The whole trilogy was really, REALLY, good. Satisfying conclusion to each book and the whole story, great cast, main and supporting, in real jepoardy, so much cool magic and epic fantasy goodness.
A few things really sold me on this series... the Egyptian / Arabic based mythology and setting is beautifully done and nicely original. The author never retreats to 'standard' Euro/NorAm tropes... sure, there are common elements, but it never feels like a North American author writing what she thinks is Arabic lore... Chakarabortay is Muslim (i think), and did her homework, and she knows her setting. Her mystic beasties are nicely not human. Her 'humans', are Djinn, not Elves, her humans might as well be the Elves (possibly Dwarves), there are no dragons but a whole pile of other interesting powerful beasties... i loved her Marid, inhuman water spirits prone to dropping entire lakes on people who piss them off. The story generally follows three key POVs... Nahri, an Egyptian thief with a connection to the Djinn world, Dara, a millenia old Djinn warrior who really should be dead, and Ali, a Djinn prince and warrior who is entirely too noble and naive for the mess he's about to get involved in. These characters change a LOT through the story and it's easy to become engaged in their povs and they weave in and out of each other's stories. The supporting cast is superb, a whole host of characters who jump out and have their own moments as the story moves along.

Chakarabortay tends to have at most 2-3 main action sequences per book, the rest largely focusing on character conflict. This isnot generally a style that works for me, but her pacing is so good that i hardly noticed how much time passed before the flaming agic swords or massive explosions happened. She's also realy REALLY good at lulling the reader into a sense of security and then pulling the rug out from under the characters and reader both.

I enjoyed the hell out of this. The author's next work is supposed to be some for of fantasy pirate story... elements of that show up in this series and are enough to sell me on whatever she does next.

Next up... HARROW THE NINTH... i think... audible is doing silly-buggers...
ETA ah, there we go.. YAY ROLL LESBIAN NECROMANCER SWORDFIGHTERS IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAACE
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#26462 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:18 PM

View PostAbyss, on 04 August 2020 - 03:04 PM, said:

ETA ah, there we go.. YAY ROLL LESBIAN NECROMANCER SWORDFIGHTERS IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

Oooohhhhhhh dang, totally forgot about that, it's going to have to wait now though as half way through Emperor of Thorns... thanks for the reminder!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#26463 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:33 PM

Gah, not up on kobo audiobooks yet.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#26464 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:26 PM

View PostCyphon, on 04 August 2020 - 06:33 PM, said:

Gah, not up on kobo audiobooks yet.

Check again, audible didnt even have the preorder then suddenly the book was available.

#26465 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 August 2020 - 07:56 AM

Finished the audiobook of 16 WAYS TO DEFEND A WALLED CITY and it was fantastic. Really great narrator both in the literary and actual sense. Great fun story.

Onto Harrow the Ninth. I've forgotten a lot about this story.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#26466 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 08 August 2020 - 07:56 AM

Finished the audiobook of 16 WAYS TO DEFEND A WALLED CITY and it was fantastic. Really great narrator both in the literary and actual sense. Great fun story.

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#26467 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 08 August 2020 - 11:37 AM

View PostAbyss, on 24 July 2020 - 03:07 PM, said:

Resumed EMPIRE OF GOLD yesterday...

Yknow that feeling when even tho you're familiar with an author and are 100% certain the crash is coming, they do it in a way that knocks you sideways... and then they do it again, and again.

Well, that. Chakarabortay has this lovely talent for steadily engaging the reader in the characters and then abruptly catapulting us kicking and screaming back into the bigger fantasy story to blow our minds.

Just Finished EMPIRE OF GOLD, and thus, Shannen Chakarabortay's DAEVABAD trilo.

The whole trilogy was really, REALLY, good. Satisfying conclusion to each book and the whole story, great cast, main and supporting, in real jepoardy, so much cool magic and epic fantasy goodness.
A few things really sold me on this series... the Egyptian / Arabic based mythology and setting is beautifully done and nicely original. The author never retreats to 'standard' Euro/NorAm tropes... sure, there are common elements, but it never feels like a North American author writing what she thinks is Arabic lore... Chakarabortay is Muslim (i think), and did her homework, and she knows her setting. Her mystic beasties are nicely not human. Her 'humans', are Djinn, not Elves, her humans might as well be the Elves (possibly Dwarves), there are no dragons but a whole pile of other interesting powerful beasties... i loved her Marid, inhuman water spirits prone to dropping entire lakes on people who piss them off. The story generally follows three key POVs... Nahri, an Egyptian thief with a connection to the Djinn world, Dara, a millenia old Djinn warrior who really should be dead, and Ali, a Djinn prince and warrior who is entirely too noble and naive for the mess he's about to get involved in. These characters change a LOT through the story and it's easy to become engaged in their povs and they weave in and out of each other's stories. The supporting cast is superb, a whole host of characters who jump out and have their own moments as the story moves along.

Chakarabortay tends to have at most 2-3 main action sequences per book, the rest largely focusing on character conflict. This isnot generally a style that works for me, but her pacing is so good that i hardly noticed how much time passed before the flaming agic swords or massive explosions happened. She's also realy REALLY good at lulling the reader into a sense of security and then pulling the rug out from under the characters and reader both.

I enjoyed the hell out of this. The author's next work is supposed to be some for of fantasy pirate story... elements of that show up in this series and are enough to sell me on whatever she does next.

That sounds really cool, will look it up. As far as I know Chakravarty married a Muslim person, I am not sure if she is Muslim herself.

View PostTiste Simeon, on 08 August 2020 - 07:56 AM, said:

Walled City is fantastic
On that note, I am reading Devices and Desires, Book 1 of Engineer, by KJ Parker and its very promising.

Also reading Hidden City by Michelle West. Absolutely excellent book.

#26468 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 08 August 2020 - 08:12 PM

Chakraborty is herself Muslim and converted as a teenager. The marriage and name change to Chakraborty came later.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#26469 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 08 August 2020 - 08:23 PM

Now on Grave Peril and Michael is still the best.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#26470 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 09 August 2020 - 07:43 PM

So I finished the JILL KISMET series by Lilith Saintcrow and my verdict is really only to pick it up if you're an urban fantasy read em all.

I picked it up of a recommendation from Seanann Mcguire of alt urban fantasy to read, and it is different to what little I have read. Pros of a strong female protagonist and interesting villain in generally is a potentially intruiging world of demons from he'll inhibiting the world and only being held from the worst excesses by the thin blue line of Hunters. However the character development is slow, other characters paper thin and not believable and the writing is aiming at the tension, and succeeds, the limitations of the writing make it harder to enjoy. The reputation of phrases and plot points is annoying too - falls into the common trope of people not properly talking to each other as the main cause of strife.

Anyway for my next venture into urban fantasy I'll stay on the main road with Forum recommendations this time...

This post has been edited by Cyphon: 10 August 2020 - 06:37 AM

Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#26471 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 09 August 2020 - 08:43 PM

View PostCyphon, on 09 August 2020 - 07:43 PM, said:

Sean and Mcguire

Ah yes, my favorite writing duo.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#26472 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 09 August 2020 - 09:14 PM

Finished Grave Peril. Onto Summer Knight!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#26473 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 10 August 2020 - 01:44 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 08 August 2020 - 08:23 PM, said:

Now on Grave Peril and Michael is still the best.

I so love the opening of that book.

"Dammit, we are fucked!"
"I asked you not to swear!"
"Sorry... darn it, we are fucked!"

(...paraphrased from memory)

#26474 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 10 August 2020 - 01:46 PM

"Harry, I believe one does Parkour, one doesn't shout Parkour" remains one of my favourite "laughed out loud" moments in the books. Michael is indeed the best!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#26475 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 10 August 2020 - 01:48 PM

View PostCyphon, on 09 August 2020 - 07:43 PM, said:

...I picked it up of a recommendation from Seanann Mcguire of alt urban fantasy to read, and it is different to what little I have read. Pros of a strong female protagonist and interesting villain in generally is a potentially intruiging world of demons from he'll inhibiting the world and only being held from the worst excesses by the thin blue line of Hunters. However the character development is slow, other characters paper thin and not believable and the writing is aiming at the tension, and succeeds, the limitations of the writing make it harder to enjoy. The reputation of phrases and plot points is annoying too - falls into the common trope of people not properly talking to each other as the main cause of strife.

Anyway for my next venture into urban fantasy I'll stay on the main road with Forum recommendations this time...

My experience with Seanan is limited, and mostly her 'Mira Grant' pen-name horror'ish side of things, but i can say that i understand her urban fantasy series books steadily improve, that i read MIDDLEGAME and totally enjoyed it and it deserves all the praise, and that her (or rather, Mira's) killer mermaids are a shittonne of fun.

#26476 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 10 August 2020 - 01:55 PM

About 1/3rd in... and this is very good,

#26477 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 August 2020 - 01:57 PM

Deep in a reading funk...finished my MT re-read (excellent as always), and tried out a few books and nothing stuck. I'm patiently (not so patiently) awaiting RHYTHM OF WAR and I was thinking about re-reading MISTBORN but got lulled out of it...

And I inexplicably LOST my 1st Ed. (signed) Hardcover ELANTRIS...so that's annoying too...

I have nothing I'm really wanting to dive into...any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26478 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 10 August 2020 - 02:24 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 August 2020 - 01:57 PM, said:

Deep in a reading funk...finished my MT re-read (excellent as always), and tried out a few books and nothing stuck. I'm patiently (not so patiently) awaiting RHYTHM OF WAR and I was thinking about re-reading MISTBORN but got lulled out of it...

And I inexplicably LOST my 1st Ed. (signed) Hardcover ELANTRIS...so that's annoying too...

I have nothing I'm really wanting to dive into...any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

You've seen the upthread recos for Chakraborty's DAEVABAD. Worth a look.

Or go a completely different direction...

Posted Image

...ebook on $8 on amazon.ca right now.
FFS.... it's a steampunk trilo about a monkey shooting Nazis QT.... STEAMPUNK MONKEY SHOOTS NAZIS

#26479 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 August 2020 - 02:29 PM

View PostAbyss, on 10 August 2020 - 02:24 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 August 2020 - 01:57 PM, said:

You've seen the upthread recos for Chakraborty's DAEVABAD. Worth a look.

Or go a completely different direction...

Posted Image

...ebook on $8 on amazon.ca right now.
FFS.... it's a steampunk trilo about a monkey shooting Nazis QT.... STEAMPUNK MONKEY SHOOTS NAZIS

I have all the Daevabad books (finished book 1, have not moved onto the others yet). :)

Steampunk monkey shoots Nazis sounds cool...but that book title...Man...LOL
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26480 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 10 August 2020 - 02:40 PM

It says best novel winner right there on the page.

Share this topic:

• 1473 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users