• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#23981 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 February 2019 - 04:21 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 04 February 2019 - 03:47 PM, said:

I'm reading Catcher in the Rye. About a third into it. If it wasn't because I feel I need to finish it, it's a classic after all, I would quit this book.

The protagonist Holden Caulfield is an insufferable idiot who embodies the worst traits of a teenager. I imagine this is interesting to read about when you're coming of age but as a thirty something Caulfield just makes me angry.

Edit: Actually I suspect the kid is mentally ill which might explain some of his behavior but still.

I haven't read it, but my dad read it recently and that's almost word for word his take on it after finishing. I did however read The Perks of Being a Wallflower a couple of years ago which is constantly sold as "this generation's Catcher in the Rye" and thought that was a load of irritating twaddle, so it didn't endear me to trying CitR.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 04 February 2019 - 04:21 PM

- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#23982 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 February 2019 - 04:39 PM

The protagonist Holden Caulfield is an insufferable idiot who embodies the worst traits of a teenager. I imagine this is interesting to read about when you're coming of age but as a thirty something Caulfield just makes me angry

Yep. It's reason #1 why I've not read it. It seems like the type of book you need to be a youth to enjoy.

-------

When I was much younger (probably late teens), I watched FERRIS BEULLER'S DAY OFF with my dad...and back then I thought that movie was amazing...so I was non-plussed when this exchange occurred:

Ferris: (after convincing Cameorn to let him take the Ferrari out to get Sloane from school, and Cameron wants him to being it back home) "If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away?....Neither would I"

My father loudly says (before Ferris answers his own question), "Yes, yes I would!"

I recall at the time I was annoyed. Like dad, why are you such a party pooper!

Now as a 40-something adult with kids...I watch that same scene and I am now in full agreement with my dad. Ferris is an asshole. Take that car back to your buddies garbage you truant lunatic!

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 04 February 2019 - 04:41 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#23983 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 February 2019 - 05:00 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 February 2019 - 04:39 PM, said:

The protagonist Holden Caulfield is an insufferable idiot who embodies the worst traits of a teenager. I imagine this is interesting to read about when you're coming of age but as a thirty something Caulfield just makes me angry

Yep. It's reason #1 why I've not read it. It seems like the type of book you need to be a youth to enjoy.

-------

When I was much younger (probably late teens), I watched FERRIS BEULLER'S DAY OFF with my dad...and back then I thought that movie was amazing...so I was non-plussed when this exchange occurred:

Ferris: (after convincing Cameorn to let him take the Ferrari out to get Sloane from school, and Cameron wants him to being it back home) "If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away?....Neither would I"

My father loudly says (before Ferris answers his own question), "Yes, yes I would!"

I recall at the time I was annoyed. Like dad, why are you such a party pooper!

Now as a 40-something adult with kids...I watch that same scene and I am now in full agreement with my dad. Ferris is an asshole. Take that car back to your buddies garbage you truant lunatic!

The only flaw in their glorious plan was trying to reset the odometer by driving backwards.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#23984 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist
  • Interests:History, Archaeology, Photogrpahy, Writing, Opera, Traveling, Riding, Languages

Posted 04 February 2019 - 05:11 PM

I didn't even enjoy it back then. I met that sort of characters at school every day, that was bad enough. Went back to the much more interesting array of characters like Thomas Buddenbrook, Nikolaj Stavrogin, Daniel Deronda, Lucien de Rubempré, Ivanhoe, Aragorn and Athos. :)

#23985 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 04 February 2019 - 06:06 PM

View PostGabriele, on 04 February 2019 - 05:11 PM, said:

I didn't even enjoy it back then. I met that sort of characters at school every day, that was bad enough. Went back to the much more interesting array of characters like Thomas Buddenbrook, Nikolaj Stavrogin, Daniel Deronda, Lucien de Rubempré, Ivanhoe, Aragorn and Athos. :)

I preferred Jack Ryan and Silk.

#23986 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 February 2019 - 08:34 PM

I like Catcher in the Rye, but I mean, yah, Holden isn't supposed to 'age well' as you grow older. That's one of the points. It's the accuracy of the depiction -- the teenage overcompensating for insecurity, the (unearned) ego and judgment, the focusing on others to avoid any honest self analysis (even if some of your insights on artifice are accurate), etc. -- that's so good. It's not my favorite book in the world or anything, but it's definitely honest even when it's uncomfortable or off-putting.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#23987 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 05 February 2019 - 02:45 AM

Sloan's Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore.

#23988 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 February 2019 - 02:51 AM

That's the one right next to Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium right?

#23989 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 05 February 2019 - 03:16 AM

8 pages in and I'm hooked! In two short paragraphs, Sloan has already created the perfect bookstore setting. Great metaphor and description.

View Postworry, on 05 February 2019 - 02:51 AM, said:

Down the block, actually. Nearest neighbors are Dr. Weigl's Fantastic Laboratory and Dr. Parnassus' Imaginarium.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 05 February 2019 - 03:18 AM

#23990 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 February 2019 - 03:56 AM

Dang, busy neighborhood!

#23991 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 February 2019 - 02:52 PM

Finished DUNE MESSIAH. Solid, solid volume. I get a BIT bogged down under the weight of some of Paul's exceptionally weird navel-gazing, but everything else was pretty stellar. Alia and Not-Duncan stood out well.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#23992 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 05 February 2019 - 06:28 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 05 February 2019 - 03:16 AM, said:

8 pages in and I'm hooked! In two short paragraphs, Sloan has already created the perfect bookstore setting. Great metaphor and description.

Down the block, actually. Nearest neighbors are Dr. Weigl's Fantastic Laboratory and Dr. Parnassus' Imaginarium.

View Postworry, on 05 February 2019 - 03:56 AM, said:

Dang, busy neighborhood!

Dr Teeth and the Electric Mayhem are playing the block party next weekend.

#23993 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 February 2019 - 06:30 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 05 February 2019 - 02:45 AM, said:

It's a STUNNINGLY realized book. Wonderful from start to finish, and the denouement is in the very, very, very, end...and was beyond impressive to me. Hopefully you enjoy it as much as I did when you're finished.

#23994 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:44 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 February 2019 - 06:30 PM, said:

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 05 February 2019 - 02:45 AM, said:

It's a STUNNINGLY realized book. Wonderful from start to finish, and the denouement is in the very, very, very, end...and was beyond impressive to me. Hopefully you enjoy it as much as I did when you're finished.

Incredibly moving and impressive book. I could not put it down, which is rare for me these days, and devoured it in under a day.

Absolutely adore it, though it is a bit heavy with book-nerd wish fulfillment.

#23995 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:42 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 February 2019 - 02:52 PM, said:

Finished DUNE MESSIAH. Solid, solid volume. I get a BIT bogged down under the weight of some of Paul's exceptionally weird navel-gazing, but everything else was pretty stellar. Alia and Not-Duncan stood out well.

Do yourself a favour and stop at Book 6, with a proviso that the House prequels are ok. The Butlerian Jihad is bad, everything after that is SO FUCKING BAD.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#23996 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:42 AM

Do yourself a favour and stop at Book 6, with a proviso that the House prequels are ok. The Butlerian Jihad is bad, everything after that is SO FUCKING BAD.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#23997 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:46 AM

Finished the audiobook of THE OBELISK GATE today oh man that was so freaking cool you can definitely count me in with the lovers of this series.

Going to start STONE SKY on the way home.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#23998 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 February 2019 - 02:08 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 06 February 2019 - 08:42 AM, said:

Noted. Will definitely take that into account.

-----------

I'm now back into the Horus Heresy with Graham Macneil's FULGRIM.

#23999 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 February 2019 - 02:38 PM

That reminds me I need to get back to the heresy.

I've read as far as Deliverance lost

#24000 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 06 February 2019 - 05:20 PM

Finished the Arm of the Sphinx. Excellent book and I'm looking forward to reading the Hod King when I get around to it.

Reading The Ringed Castle, 5th one of Dorothy Dunnetts Lymomd Chronicles. So far as intriguing as the previous books and there are sections where I get completely lost on what is going on.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

Share this topic:

• 1473 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

12 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users