• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#23961 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 30 January 2019 - 02:24 PM

Needed a holding pattern book before I go on Vacation and start my intended beach reads...so I started Sapkowski's TIME OF CONTEMPT. It's solid Witcher content so far, but I'm not sure I needed the repeat of the events that ended the last book though a kings messenger's eyes, but it was different enough not to mind too much.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#23962 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 January 2019 - 03:16 PM

View PostVirgin of High House Bachelor, on 31 January 2019 - 03:01 AM, said:

Failure.

Wish this book had a map. Can’t find one on net but I’m not really looking to hard to avoid any potential spoilers. If anyone knows of a map can you please link the image.

No map, you don't really need one.

#23963 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 January 2019 - 03:17 PM

Witcher wasn't doing it for me at all...so I've switched to DUNE MESSIAH instead...which is fantastic so far!

Upon BK's repeated comments that I should keep reading this series, having only read the first book (which I liked), I'd grabbed the rest of Herbert's original volumes up to CHAPTERHOUSE for the ToRead pile as well.

EDIT: These covers are simple, and yet so gorgeous with lovely aesthetics for shelf beauty.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 31 January 2019 - 03:18 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#23964 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 January 2019 - 04:39 PM

View PostVirgin of High House Bachelor, on 31 January 2019 - 03:50 PM, said:

Damn that’s been years back now.

True, but at least I still recall it was you who was talking them up. :)

#23965 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 31 January 2019 - 04:47 PM

It was last year he pushed me into reading the first set as well.
I didn't regret the investment. Whilst my opinion of them varied depending on the cast I still enjoyed the run

#23966 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 31 January 2019 - 06:31 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 31 January 2019 - 03:17 PM, said:

Witcher wasn't doing it for me at all...so I've switched to DUNE MESSIAH instead...which is fantastic so far!

Upon BK's repeated comments that I should keep reading this series, having only read the first book (which I liked), I'd grabbed the rest of Herbert's original volumes up to CHAPTERHOUSE for the ToRead pile as well.

EDIT: These covers are simple, and yet so gorgeous with lovely aesthetics for shelf beauty.

If you're curious as to where the story was going after Frank died, read the Wikipedia summaries for the son's books written with Kevin Anderson. Do not read the actual books as they are genuinely terrible. The summaries will let you figure out the "why" of Leto's plan without going through the pain of the awful writing.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#23967 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:30 PM

View Postamphibian, on 31 January 2019 - 06:31 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 31 January 2019 - 03:17 PM, said:

If you're curious as to where the story was going after Frank died, read the Wikipedia summaries for the son's books written with Kevin Anderson. Do not read the actual books as they are genuinely terrible. The summaries will let you figure out the "why" of Leto's plan without going through the pain of the awful writing.

I'll see how I feel after the Frank ones, but thanks for the advice. I'll consider it.

I MIGHT read one of the post Frank volumes to see if it lines up for me, but otherwise I could do what you said.

#23968 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:04 PM

They're *really* bad, especially if read right after Frank's work. Your time is your time, but it's a risky proposition.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#23969 User is online   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:54 PM

Finished "Broken homes". Well, that was quite an ending.

Next for commute I'll probably read the next "Gates of the World" book, "Brass God" . Not sure if only a trilogy- if so, it'll be the last book.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#23970 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 01 February 2019 - 08:49 AM

View PostVirgin of High House Bachelor, on 31 January 2019 - 10:21 PM, said:

I can certainly tell I'm reading another NK book(obviously since her name is on the thing) as the same flavor/style/atmosphere is present from Broken Earth. This makes me wonder if all her books are like this. I don't think I will like that to much. I don't want to read the same stuff over and over. Mind yalll I'm only like 11 pages in out of 1400 so I'd say it has time to change my mind but I can definitely see the sameness already.

They're very different from each other I'd say. I loved them all.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#23971 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 February 2019 - 08:38 PM

It's the weirdest of her series. Lots (and lots) of ideas crammed into the first book, which has a great, unique (for fantasy) quasi-ancient Egyptian setting, a pretty cool magic system, and a tough & gritty plot, but it's maybe a little too complicated for one book (or maybe that's just my unfamiliarity with its influences). Book 2 is fantastic though and smooths out all the rough edges of the first one, imo.

This post has been edited by worry: 01 February 2019 - 08:39 PM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#23972 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 01 February 2019 - 09:35 PM

I've recently finished Pamela Sargent's The Shore of Women. An 80's "feminist classic". After a global cataclysm, women rebuild society and live in high-tech walled cities, and have exiled all men (and their violent natures) to the wilderness outside, where they're conditioned to worship the female figure as a goddess. ("Blessed" men are called into the city where their sperm is taken for reproductive purposes, and male children are raised for a few years in the city before being mind-wiped and sent outside in the guardianship of one of the men.) The worst punishment for a woman is to be exiled to the outside world, which is what happens to start the story, and soon enough it becomes a tale of her falling in with a young man and their adventures in survival. Of course along the way he questions everything he knows about women (or, rather, The Lady), and she begins to view men differently blah blah, but actually it's really good and thought-provoking and I was enthralled.

I also read Premee Mohamad's novella The Apple-Tree Throne, which takes place in an alternate-history England, kind of a steampunk-y version, but the tech is really only mentioned in passing as flavor. It's the story of a man who comes back from war and is taken in by his dead commander's family, but also haunted by said commander's ghost. Beautifully written, and kind of sad. I'm not entirely sure I "get" it (according to the afterword it's based on a song I've never heard of) but I can easily recommend it.

Currently reading Beneath the Pendulum Sun by Jeanette Ng. I'm only a chapter in, but it's already got its hooks in me. We've got another alternate-history England here, but in this one, travel to the land of Faerie ("Arcadia") has been achieved, and Christian missionaries sent over. The story so far is that our narrator has traveled there to track down her missionary brother. Looking forward to where this goes.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#23973 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 02 February 2019 - 12:30 AM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 01 February 2019 - 09:35 PM, said:

Currently reading Beneath the Pendulum Sun by Jeanette Ng. I'm only a chapter in, but it's already got its hooks in me. We've got another alternate-history England here, but in this one, travel to the land of Faerie ("Arcadia") has been achieved, and Christian missionaries sent over. The story so far is that our narrator has traveled there to track down her missionary brother. Looking forward to where this goes.

I picked this up to read but couldn't face more missionaries and potentially more bleakness after finishing the Sparrow. I'll be interested to hear what you think.

I'm about half way through the Arm of the Sphinx.Enjoying it more than the first one and the world building and characters have come on a lot more. I'm finding it a lot more fun too.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#23974 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 February 2019 - 02:11 AM

View PostVirgin of High House Bachelor, on 01 February 2019 - 07:27 PM, said:

Very tempted to buy this Waking Fire by Ryan hc on discount isle. It’s $6.97 but damn the book synopsis sounds boring as hell so idk.

It’s a REALLY awesome series.

#23975 User is online   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 02 February 2019 - 03:47 AM

View PostVirgin of High House Bachelor, on 02 February 2019 - 02:41 AM, said:

I surprisingly walked away with NOTHING that trip. That blacked out NA omnibus was very interesting though I don’t really like the idea of rebuying something I already own but that book was just awesome to look at. Walked around with Dreamblood for a bit but set it down moments from leaving. Also pulled out Licanus bks. I still love those white covers but it made me want to ask you some questions. How does it stand up to your finger oil/dirt? Is it still nice and bright or can you see some dimming where your hands typically go?

Sorry Ment no Turtledove today which is the reason I stopped in. Would you prefer hc or pb if I run across either option at the same time?

I’ve hit pg 50 of Inheritance 1. It lacked the omph of BE till just a few minutes ago. Hope this will persist and I can put them away with similar speed I did with BE. Verrryyy good “oh fuck” dream sequence hit so I now must get back to it.

Deuces bitches!

I got the other 4 as mmpb, so that'd be nice, but i'll take anything
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#23976 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 02 February 2019 - 12:52 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 February 2019 - 02:11 AM, said:

View PostVirgin of High House Bachelor, on 01 February 2019 - 07:27 PM, said:

Very tempted to buy this Waking Fire by Ryan hc on discount isle. It's $6.97 but damn the book synopsis sounds boring as hell so idk.

It's a REALLY awesome series.

Backing this up BK. Ryan's Draconis Memoria is superb.

#23977 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:14 AM

City of Blades was really good. I can’t say why Stairs didn’t click with me as much, just a matter of which mystery appealed more I guess. And I think the fantasy elements are more thoroughly explored in this one.

Now I’m finally reading Fiends of Nightmaria.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#23978 User is offline   Zetubal 

• Captain
  • Interests:Language

Posted 03 February 2019 - 10:30 AM

View Postworry, on 03 February 2019 - 08:14 AM, said:

City of Blades was really good. I can't say why Stairs didn't click with me as much, just a matter of which mystery appealed more I guess. And I think the fantasy elements are more thoroughly explored in this one.

Based on that, I guess there's a good chance you'll also like City of Miracles.

#23979 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 04 February 2019 - 03:47 PM

I'm reading Catcher in the Rye. About a third into it. If it wasn't because I feel I need to finish it, it's a classic after all, I would quit this book.

The protagonist Holden Caulfield is an insufferable idiot who embodies the worst traits of a teenager. I imagine this is interesting to read about when you're coming of age but as a thirty something Caulfield just makes me angry.

Edit: Actually I suspect the kid is mentally ill which might explain some of his behavior but still.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 04 February 2019 - 03:52 PM

#23980 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 February 2019 - 04:14 PM

View PostVirgin of High House Bachelor, on 02 February 2019 - 02:41 AM, said:

Also pulled out Licanus bks. I still love those white covers but it made me want to ask you some questions. How does it stand up to your finger oil/dirt? Is it still nice and bright or can you see some dimming where your hands typically go?

I'm reading those ones on my Kindle, so I can't answer to the dirt and grime on the actual covers.

Share this topic:

• 1473 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook