Abyss, on 18 September 2026 - 01:49 PM, said:
Just Finished BLACKTAIL, by Scott Hawkins. Holy furfucks, this book messed me up.
I adored THE LOBRARY ON MOUNT CHAR. The swerves, the weird, the quirky characters who could be funny one second and murderously serious the next, the underlying urban fantasy and sf vibes set up just out of sight of the real world. Hawkins brings all that to this book, about an orphan wolf who decides that he's had enough of humans' crap. The animal world Hawkins sets up her is at once deceptively simple and wildly complicated. The animals aren't simply humans in fursuits, their thoughts and motives are appropriately different, but still very engaging. The interplay w the human world is there, he doesn't try to overexplain it, there's a level of 'just go w it' that will/won't work for some readers, but wow if you can, the overall impact and immersion is pretty stunning.
The book is also brutal. Hawkins mentions in an interview that he has experience w dogs and specifically rescues, and he doesn't shy away from their stories and it's heartbreaking and infuriating and by the time characters start to hit back it's hard not to side w them. Hawkins doesn't make that easy tho... the animals are very much animals and what they do, often, is pretty damn savage.
It's all compelling as hell, and one of the few recent books i can honestly say surprised me repeatedly, seeming to go one way, swerving elsewhere, setting up one thing and delivering a completely unexpected payoff.
Macleod Andrews nails the earbook narration and absolutely broke me, repeatedly, before yanking me back up again.
Great book, a wild return for this author, and his next thing will be an instant pre-order for me.
Just finished
Blacktail -- print not audio -- and I largely agree with Abyss. I liked this quite a bit. I guess for those wanting a comparison, I wouldn't say this was 'as good as' Mount Char. But if that is a 5-star book for you (and it was for me), this is an easy 4-star.
There are some obvious antecedents in animal-POV fiction -- The Call of the Wild, Watership Down, maybe most closely The Plague Dogs -- but aside from maybe a nod here and there this is very much its own thing. And I'm only guessing at what might be a nod, since Hawkins' Acknowledgement section is mercifully short -- one more reason to be impressed by him.
I went into it knowing it had 'surprises' in store, but even then I hardly predicted any of what happens, so I'm right there with Abyss. I would also echo that there's a certain need to go-with-the-flow to some elements, given that it is pretty much all animal POV. Maybe there's a slight hint of Caveman Lawyer goofiness here and there to how they're relating to the works of Man. But it's actually almost all well thought out and written, and while it can get silly (intentionally), only rarely does the writing overplay it in an eye-roll kind of way. Not zero times, but not too many. I do think it could be a turn-off for some though. If I had one other complaint, it's that I wish there was at least one more chapter in the middle of Blacktail's journey. Everything from start to finish absolutely makes sense and you can fill in any blanks on the way for sure, I just wish for one more piece in the mid-journey section before the final arc, because he's a great character and his moments of self-reflection are always compelling.
Anyway, yeah, this book is pretty great. Dark, funny, harrowing, horrific, extremely angry, all that good stuff.