• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#29521 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 September 2024 - 01:08 PM

Huh, BSC is probably myleast favourite Abercrombie, followed by Red Country.

Favourite is Probably Heroes

#29522 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 04 September 2024 - 12:43 PM

Just finished The Priory of the Orange Tree.

the cover caught my eye in the airport a few times, so finally picked it up on a buy one get one half price deal.

A hefty tome, I can't help but feel could have been 2 books, with the last 10% being expanded considerably, things fell together very quickly at the end.

That aside, not a bad offering at all, a few characters are a bit cookie cutter, but plenty have depth and very human motivations in their actions.

Here there be dragons, would have liked more though

#29523 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 September 2024 - 02:11 PM

View PostMacros, on 04 September 2024 - 12:43 PM, said:

I had other issues w the book, but this was my biggest.
Set up a fantasy story around interactions between two different 'races' of dragons, and then give it so little screen time? Meh.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#29524 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 04 September 2024 - 02:25 PM

View PostAbyss, on 06 August 2024 - 03:12 AM, said:

View PostJPK, on 05 August 2024 - 04:56 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 05 August 2024 - 04:22 AM, said:

Next up, Carol Berg's SONG OF THE BEAST.

I've actually got this one queued up for the near future as well. I'm curious to see your thoughts on it because it's a reread for me, but it's been 15-20 years since I read it so my recollection is limited to vague positive vibes.

About 2/3rds and enjoying it. It's very much an older style of fantasy, two povs, one MC, the lore is there but it isn't deep, the pace is steady towards a specific goal, and since it's a standalone there's a nice sense of moving the story to a conclusion. More when i'm done but so far so good.

Just Finished. Interesting, this very much felt like an 80s fantasy novel. I haven't quite decided whether the ending was a satisfying tieing together of all the plot threads or a contrived oh-isnt-that-conveeeeeenient, but i'm content with the read either way. Earbook narrator was solid.

The proceeded to marathon John Scalzi's INTERDEPENDENCY trilogy, also Just Finished. It was... fine. I like Scalzi, sometimes i love Scalzi, for me this was mid Scalzi. Interesting story but entirely too much time spent on characters talking about things and not enough time with them doing the things. There were satusfying SF elements and while far from hard SF, there was enough science in the fiction to keep it closer to that than scifant. Overall an ok read, no regrets but i wouldn't hurry to reco.

Short break to clear the palate, have been running thru THE MAGNUS ARCHIVES audiodrama, S4. Brilliant set up and ending.

Next, some upthread posts are nudging me towards SIDEWINDERS, tho Seanan McGuire has a new LOST CHILDREN story out as well. Spoiled for choice, really.

#29525 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 07 September 2024 - 02:18 AM

All right, having finished the Red Country re-read, I'd definitely rate The Heroes as the bottom of the Caul Shivers Trilogy (sorry, Maccy). The limited scope just doesn't resonate as much for me. While BCS has Monte Christo vibes, and Red Country evokes a bunch of frontier short stories vibes, from Jack London to O'Henry, and those just influences just happen to resonate stronger with me.

Guess I'll be finally moving on to "a Little Hatred". I've got about 2 weeks to read that, and to pick up some stuff for vacation reads.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#29526 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 September 2024 - 10:07 PM

Abyss, on 04 September 2024 - 02:11 PM, said:

Macros, on 04 September 2024 - 12:43 PM, said:

I had other issues w the book, but this was my biggest.
Set up a fantasy story around interactions between two different 'races' of dragons, and then give it so little screen time? Meh.

I just read Lyons' The Sky On Fire. If you want more dragons, then this is a good book to read.

Separately, I read through all of Tchaikovsky's Shadows Of The Apt series. This was a lot of fun! He's definitely grown as an author since he wrote these.

I'm currently reading Peter McLean's War For The Rose Throne series. This is a total blast! It feels like Locke Lamora meets The Godfather with influences from the narrative style of Cook's Black Company. Highly recommend so far (though I'm only on the 3rd book).

#29527 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 09 September 2024 - 01:38 PM

View PostAbyss, on 04 September 2024 - 02:25 PM, said:

... some upthread posts are nudging me towards SIDEWINDERS...

3rd of the way in, and must say, Forumies, you did not steer me wrong.

#29528 User is offline   Hammerhead88 

• Sergeant

Posted 10 September 2024 - 08:36 PM

Re-reading Dresden for the first time. Onto book 2 almost immediately! So good.

#29529 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 11 September 2024 - 02:17 PM

View PostAbyss, on 09 September 2024 - 01:38 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 04 September 2024 - 02:25 PM, said:

This book just gets better and better....

The sequence
Spoiler
damn, that was some solid writing.

#29530 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 12 September 2024 - 02:23 PM

Abyss, on 11 September 2024 - 02:17 PM, said:

Abyss, on 09 September 2024 - 01:38 PM, said:

Abyss, on 04 September 2024 - 02:25 PM, said:

This book just gets better and better....

The sequence
Spoiler
damn, that was some solid writing.

Want to see something cool? I am proceeding on the assumption that you do indeed want to see.

Look up the Danakil Depression, Dalliol Sulphur Springs, and other elements of Ethiopian geography like the waterfalls and mountain fastnesses/churches.

These provided such a cool base for my imagining of what was happening in Master Assassins and Sidewinders.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 12 September 2024 - 03:12 PM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#29531 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 13 September 2024 - 08:09 PM

I finished listening to Sidewinders a few days ago. Before stating my reaction, here's some context first...

While I try to minimize subscriptions, and I do have a large backlog of audiobooks in my TLP, a few months ago I decided to start on Audible's three months for $1 each offer. Looking through the Audible Plus catalog I was pleasantly surprised to see their fantasy offers have gotten much better and more extensive... but I'd already read or listened to everything I recognized that appealed to me.

However, it does feature two popular fantasy authors I'd avoided based on vague impressions of their reputations---Tad Williams and Brian Saunderson. For Williams, only his very first book, which is about a cat. Also Saunderson's first book series, and one standalone. Reasoning that I might prefer their first books over their later styles, I set my schedule. I also noticed A Court of Thorns and Roses, Dramatized Adaption---which I was certain I'd dislike, but which has some sociological interest, as I'm curious what it is about these trashy romantasy books that appeals to so many women---and (since it's a dramatized adaptation) what sort of male voice and vocal delivery might particularly appeal to them.

So I started with Tailchaser's Song---and very low expectations. The audiobook performer's voice is terrible. He just shouldn't be doing audiobooks unless he can change it. Still, I was pleasantly surprised to find that most chapters begin with nice selections of quoted poetry---ranging from Milton to Poe to some obscure then-contemporary poets. And the literary quality of the book is higher than I was expecting. OTOH much---but far from all---of it is largely "fantasy genre, but with cats instead of people", some parts of which I found very meh, though some of the more horror-fantasy tropes were more appealing. He also tries to make the wild cats out to be like indigenous peoples, and gives a very bleak depiction of domesticated cats, which could have used a bit more humor.

For me the major highlights of the book are in the mythology of the cat religion. Particularly the origin of humanity, which I found hilarious.

Overall, I'd say it's worth reading, but probably not worth subjecting yourself to this audiobook.

On to Saunderson's first book, Ellantris---dramatized adaptation. I expected the writing style to be bland, so I was pleasantly surprised to find him whipping out aphorisms, witticisms, and poeticisms in the intro---as if he were trying really hard to demonstrate that he actually can write well, while simultaneously not being too literary or complex or poetic for the mass commercial market. I found myself pausing the audio to write down some particularly nice quotes:

Spoiler

Oh right... the audio. Most of the voices have appealing voices. But in terms of the sound effects, the terrible attempts at British accents, and much of the acting... it's unbelievably awful. Like what you might expect from a bad amateur regional theater group out in US flyover country doing a radio show for children. The dramatized adaptation replaces some textual descriptions with soun effects or the actor's vocal tone---so I don't know for sure that Sanderson's didn't cue up plenty of cartoonish villainous laughter, but the actors deliver far too much of it. Unintentionally laughable laughter.

I was seriously wondering if they were some sort of Mormon theater group that Sanderson was giving work because they're part of his church (... or maybe his relatives?). Also didn't care for the---possibly Mormon?---morals being presented by the story. "People need to do work to have dignity! They can't just be given handouts!" What a crock of crap.

OTOH Sanderson is good at plot twists, even though I saw some of the clunkier and cheesier ones coming. Good plot and pacing overall.

Audible Plus also has the two Ellantris novellas, so on to those it was... both dramatized adaptations by the same company. The first one is a badly written and insubstantial short story that is not worth bothering with, and makes the annoying (Mormon?) morality even more shrill. The second one doesn't actually have any substantial connection to the previous Ellantris material except being set on the same planet, and it's also badly written, so I gave up on it.

On to Sanderson's standalone, Warbreaker, which I guess is his mature writing style. The prose style seems to aim at being unremarkable---transparent and easy to read, I guess. But in terms of visual and kinetic imagination the inventiveness is impressive. Worldbuilding not quite so much, but still good, and it seems surprisingly original. (I guess his fixation on god-like characters who are worshipped as gods is partly a Mormon thing? In heaven they get their own planet to be god over or something?) Lots of plot twists but without the occasional clunkiness of Ellantris. OTOH his myriad attempts at witty dialogue---there's one character who's basically a font of would-be witticisms---are decidedly subpar.

But it's a dramatized adaptation... by the same company. Instead of terribly fake sounding posh British accents they do atrocious "Scottish-ish" and Cockney accents. The sound effects and music---oh I forgot to mention the cheesy background music--seemed less egregious, though it could just be that by this point my brain had learned to tune them out.

Next up was Court of Thorns and Roses... at which point I saw Amphibian's recommendation of Sidewinders and was pleasantly surprised to find it on Audible Plus. Started on Master Assassins, the first book in the series.

Since I'd only seen Amphibian mention Sidewinders I had low expectations for Master Assassins... but coming from Sanderson's Warbreaker, I was like, holy shit, similes and metaphors are a thing... here are some quotes I stopped the audio to write down:

Spoiler

Overall, it's very good---world-building, plot (though it starts a bit slow), characterization, etc.

On to Sidewinders, the first book I had high expectations for. In some respects it's more fantastical than Master Assassins, and yes it has some impressive extended sequences. I liked the contrast between the sequence Abyss was referring to and the section right before the ending where
Spoiler
. And the nice choice of including pov sections from
Spoiler
---at first I thought it would have been better if he'd kept us guessing longer, but later developments made me reconsider, since
Spoiler
. Here are some quotes I stopped to write down:

Spoiler

(Incidentally, the audiobook performer is decent---not great but good. Though his
Spoiler

The pacing at the very end was maybe a bit rushed, setting up the next (expected to be the final) book in the trilogy, but overall, very good.

Now, naturally, to maintain the cosmic balance, having followed your recommendations, it seemed like a good time to try going completely against them, so I finally started on A Court of Thorns and Roses---dramatized adaptation. Shockingly it's the same damn company that did the Sanderson. So I guess they're not some regional Mormon theater group after all. Even more shockingly, the first sentence contained what seemed like a decently poetic phrase---"a labyrinth of ice and snow"---until I googled it and realized it had been used innumerable times before. I'm a few hours in now and it does mainly seem to be of sociological interest (if that...). I find it hard to imagine that the actor playing the male lead is really doing a voice that the target audience would find near-optimally sexy or appealing, but it's deep and commanding, so IDK. Ah, good, the electrodes have finished charging---I'm going to spend the next five hours electrocuting my abs while I listen to A Court of Thorns and Roses.

#29532 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted Yesterday, 12:47 PM

Druss Druss Druss!!!

#29533 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted Yesterday, 06:13 PM

Azath Vitr (D, on 13 September 2024 - 08:09 PM, said:

I'm going to spend the next five hours electrocuting my abs while I listen to A Court of Thorns and Roses.

A sentence that has likely never been sung, spoken, or written before.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: Yesterday, 06:13 PM

Share this topic:

• 1477 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

24 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 24 guests, 0 anonymous users