• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#28961 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 June 2023 - 07:26 PM

Actually finished Waybound the last Cradle book, a good light weight read. But it was nice finishing a book, started several this year and not finished them ending up with a record low finished books so far and we are nearly halfway through the year.

Got Season of Skulls lined up next and that can't be anything but great from how much I enjoyed the last New Management book or really any of Stross recent books in the Laundry universe.

This post has been edited by Chance: 11 June 2023 - 07:26 PM

#28962 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 11 June 2023 - 10:07 PM

Trying to make my way through Hobb's Dragon Keeper, but, from memory, the Rain Wild Chronicles is my least favorite of the trilogies. Should I skip and go straight to Fitz & Fool?

#28963 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 14 June 2023 - 01:17 PM

Finished up Season of Skulls rather quickly and continued on Lord of the Silent Kingdom which I was re-reading before. For once I was a bit irritated with the narration of this one to many stupid voices some of which was rather irritating.

Got an itch to re-read Rhesus Chart which ties in to Season of Skulls however, since one of the elder vampires play a part in this one. Maybe thats next.

This post has been edited by Chance: 14 June 2023 - 01:17 PM

#28964 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 14 June 2023 - 02:45 PM

Started reading JOHN DIES AT THE END and it is weird and quite funny.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28965 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 14 June 2023 - 03:09 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 14 June 2023 - 02:45 PM, said:

All of these Wong books have such an oddly endearing soul to them. Really liked them.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#28966 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 June 2023 - 03:45 PM

I was just thinking of reading that. I recently found the author on TikTok where he mostly does little 1-2 minute weird trivia videos.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#28967 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 June 2023 - 03:59 PM

View Postamphibian, on 14 June 2023 - 03:09 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 14 June 2023 - 02:45 PM, said:

All of these Wong books have such an oddly endearing soul to them. Really liked them.

I enjoyed them far more than i expected to. They also improve as the series progresses, the humour is still there but he amps up the horror elements very effectively. I have the latest in the TLP.

View Postworry, on 14 June 2023 - 03:45 PM, said:

I was just thinking of reading that. I recently found the author on TikTok where he mostly does little 1-2 minute weird trivia videos.

He's an interesting guy, has written for a number of fairly successful websites and generally advanced or lateraled each time they tanked.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#28968 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 15 June 2023 - 06:20 PM

Finished Juliet Marillier's DAUGHTER OF THE FOREST (Book 1 of Sevenwaters)...and it was REALLY good. For what is basally a retelling of an old folk take/fairy tale she did some really good things with it. The characters were all great, and while I DO feel it suffers a bit in the middle from the protagonist not being able to speak (not a trope I enjoy; especially after the whole opening she was so wonderful in with speech), it brought it home in the end and was a really enjoyable read. Some GRIM trigger stuff in the middle, and the ending has a lot of bittersweetness....but overall this shot to the top of my list of Gaelic-fantasy stories, a genre I enjoy. Marillier is a WONDERFUL writer, and I cannot believe I've never read her work before. I found the whole series in used form, so I'll be reading the rest. I hear the second one is everyone's favourite, and I'll be interested in the worldbuilding in the rest of the series since none of the other books are based on a fairytale/folktale.

Anyways. Solid stuff.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28969 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 15 June 2023 - 07:27 PM

View PostAbyss, on 11 May 2022 - 06:23 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 20 April 2022 - 05:51 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 12 April 2022 - 05:30 PM, said:

OH FFS...

...so... JK Rowling, David n Leigh Eddings, Richard Morgan, Warren Ellis, Myke Cole, Sam Sykes....

WOULD ANY OTHER AUTHORS I ENJOY LIKE TO FUCKUP NOW AND SPARE ME SOME ANGST LATER??????

Yknow what the worse part about this is....?
SEVEN BLADES.... Just Finished....great book.
Really great book. fast paced, great fantasy elements, some of the bestest action scenes i've read since the last Dresden book, Sal the Cacophony is an easy candidate for my favorite character of the year, utterly satisfying story, wraps up nicely, hooks but no hangers.... and the sequel is right... there... fnck.

My library just notified me that the sequel is in. I had put the hold request in before the upthread exchange about Sykes likely being a bad person.

Dammit.

And now book 3 is in and book 2 is available... i don't need this level of existential angst around my recreational reading....

#28970 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 June 2023 - 11:29 AM

I was sitting wondering what to read next when I realized that I had not read the remaining two Greatcoats books...which is a travesty...but it's been so long since I read the first two, I knew I'd need to reread books 1 and 2...but instead of going to my bookshelves to find my copies of book 1 and 2, I perused amazon and lo and behold you can get all 4 Greatcoats books right now for just under $17....so since I don't own Book 3 and 4 I just jumped, and am now a healthy 25% into book 1....I forgot just how GOOD these books are!

Also, fun fact: I knew De Castell was Canadian....but I did not know until recently that his wife is the CEO of the Vancouver Public Library system! Crazy. What a bookish family!

After this I'll be reading the Spellsinger series as I know Mac said he liked that one as well and they are linked/in the same world?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28971 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 16 June 2023 - 10:50 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 11 June 2023 - 10:07 PM, said:

Trying to make my way through Hobb's Dragon Keeper, but, from memory, the Rain Wild Chronicles is my least favorite of the trilogies. Should I skip and go straight to Fitz & Fool?

No wonder I never liked the Rain Wild Chronicles — I never realized there was a fourth book and so never concluded the series! It's taken me 10 years to realize that it was a quadrology and not a trilogy. I feel dense!

Well, off to read Blood of Dragons.

#28972 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 16 June 2023 - 11:02 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 June 2023 - 11:29 AM, said:

After this I'll be reading the Spellsinger series as I know Mac said he liked that one as well and they are linked/in the same world?

This one?

Attached File(s)

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#28973 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 17 June 2023 - 12:22 AM

You mean Spellslinger. They're enjoyable but not as good as the Greatcoats books.

I'm curious as to the shared world thing though cause I never picked up on that, though I didn't do the Argosi books so it may have been there.

#28974 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 June 2023 - 06:04 PM

I haven't caught the link myself, but De Castell said they are on the same world.

More YA than greatcoats I'd say, still dark in places. Easy reading page turning fun

#28975 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 18 June 2023 - 10:07 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 16 June 2023 - 10:50 PM, said:

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 11 June 2023 - 10:07 PM, said:

No wonder I never liked the Rain Wild Chronicles — I never realized there was a fourth book and so never concluded the series! It's taken me 10 years to realize that it was a quadrology and not a trilogy. I feel dense!

Well, off to read Blood of Dragons.

That wrapped things up much more tidiliy than if they had ended with book 3. On to Fitz & Fool!

#28976 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 June 2023 - 11:01 PM

Lol that is wild!

#28977 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 June 2023 - 05:59 AM

Finished The Hidden City by Michelle West. She's a very good character writer, and a very good dialogue (and internal monologue) writer. Overall I found her prose to be well above average. She can really turn a phrase.
In terms of plot, this book is pretty bare bones. It's fairly episodic, and mostly reads like the origin story for a small cast of characters who'll be important in events to come. It's like if the flashbacks from Locke Lamora were made into their own novel. None of that's a complaint, I actually quite liked that aspect, but I would say it's even more 'prologuey' than the average first book in a series. It does get somewhere eventually, and hints at larger stakes, as these things do.If there's a downside, it's not just that the pace is deliberate (it's a moderate, if not Malazan-sized door stopper) -- it can also be repetitive. The way life can be I suppose. Enough to notice, but not enough to turn me off. I do plan to continue with this series (or series of series, in the wacky recommended order that splits The House War around the others).

I also read this weird legal thriller, I don't even know if I should say its title, but it ranks among the worst things I've ever read.

#28978 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 19 June 2023 - 03:34 PM

View PostAbyss, on 15 June 2023 - 07:27 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 11 May 2022 - 06:23 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 20 April 2022 - 05:51 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 12 April 2022 - 05:30 PM, said:

OH FFS...

...so... JK Rowling, David n Leigh Eddings, Richard Morgan, Warren Ellis, Myke Cole, Sam Sykes....

WOULD ANY OTHER AUTHORS I ENJOY LIKE TO FUCKUP NOW AND SPARE ME SOME ANGST LATER??????

Yknow what the worse part about this is....?
SEVEN BLADES.... Just Finished....great book.
Really great book. fast paced, great fantasy elements, some of the bestest action scenes i've read since the last Dresden book, Sal the Cacophony is an easy candidate for my favorite character of the year, utterly satisfying story, wraps up nicely, hooks but no hangers.... and the sequel is right... there... fnck.

My library just notified me that the sequel is in. I had put the hold request in before the upthread exchange about Sykes likely being a bad person.

Dammit.

And now book 3 is in and book 2 is available... i don't need this level of existential angst around my recreational reading....

K fuckit. It's from the library, he gets no money from me reading it and i won't say anything about the books so he gets no good vibes from me into the universe either and *ears the first three chapters of TEN ARROWS OF IRON*.... fuck. This is how all those hard core harry potter people with actual souls feel, isn't it.

#28979 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 19 June 2023 - 04:56 PM

Finished up my re-read of Instrumentalities of Night and it is a really nice series, probably Glen Cooks most well written it really should have gotten that 5th book however even if the end point is decent as it is.

Started a Rhesus Chart re-read simply becaue it ties into the latest of Stross laundryverse and I wonder if it will play into later books.

View PostAbyss, on 19 June 2023 - 03:34 PM, said:

K fuckit. It's from the library, he gets no money from me reading it and i won't say anything about the books so he gets no good vibes from me into the universe either and *ears the first three chapters of TEN ARROWS OF IRON*.... fuck. This is how all those hard core harry potter people with actual souls feel, isn't it.

Selling a very small piece of soul is easily worth it in this case, it is one of the most entertaining recent series.

#28980 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 20 June 2023 - 03:06 AM

View PostChance, on 19 June 2023 - 04:56 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 19 June 2023 - 03:34 PM, said:

Selling a very small piece of soul is easily worth it in this case, it is one of the most entertaining recent series.

I'm not saying it's excellent but...

Share this topic:

• 1473 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users