• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#27981 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 January 2022 - 04:08 AM

Finally finished Red Seas Under Red Skies. Liked it considerably more than the first book (which I still liked, just not as much). Might not jump into the third one for a while, these suckers are long.

I didn't see folks post their Holiday Hauls™, but my next read is from that pile: Desert Oracle - Strange True Tales from the American Southwest. There just aren't enough Joshua trees in SF/F, so I had to branch out.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#27982 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 11 January 2022 - 04:28 AM

View Postworry, on 11 January 2022 - 04:08 AM, said:

There just aren't enough Joshua trees in SF/F, so I had to branch out.

:rolleyes:
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#27983 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 January 2022 - 05:05 AM

Finished Elantris yesterday.

Do you know that feeling you some times get when you finish a book? Like a book hangover, depression, sadness. I feel sort of the opposite. Thank god I'm done. Now I can read something else.

Elantris isn't a bad book. The story is solid enough. The characters are good. You care about what happens. But the book has problems with it's plot and it's sooo slooow . The world building is paper thin and there's so much about the global politics that makes no sense.

I would not recommend Elantris to anybody.

#27984 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 11 January 2022 - 04:26 PM

I'm blazing through Silvia Moreno-Garcia's VELVET WAS THE NIGHT, about a 30ish klepto secretary in 1970s Mexico who wishes her life was a little more exciting (like the romance comic books she reads)--and who gets subsequently caught in the crossfire of protesters, communists, and government agents and thugs.

I've started to realize that SMG's protagonists are all incredibly similar to each other--and Maite here is perhaps more unlikeable than most--but I still always love reading about them.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#27985 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 January 2022 - 04:38 AM

View PostAptorian, on 11 January 2022 - 05:05 AM, said:

Do you know that feeling you some times get when you finish a book? Like a book hangover, depression, sadness. I feel sort of the opposite. Thank god I'm done. Now I can read something else.

Elantris isn't a bad book. The story is solid enough. The characters are good. You care about what happens. But the book has problems with it's plot and it's sooo slooow . The world building is paper thin and there's so much about the global politics that makes no sense.

Agreed w the minutest qualifier that it will probably tie into the Cosmere at some point.
But yeah, it's his earliest work and it shows and also
Spoiler

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27986 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 January 2022 - 01:28 PM

View PostAbyss, on 12 January 2022 - 04:38 AM, said:

Agreed w the minutest qualifier that it will probably tie into the Cosmere at some point.
Spoiler

The Novella The EMPEROR'S SOUL takes place on the same world and is actually a more accomplished story.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27987 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 12 January 2022 - 01:37 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 12 January 2022 - 01:28 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 12 January 2022 - 04:38 AM, said:

Spoiler

The Novella The EMPEROR'S SOUL takes place on the same world and is actually a more accomplished story.

Got that one lined up in the TBR, since it's nice and short.

As for the Cosmere collection, I assume that is:

Spoiler

As for that "twist", so much about the Aon Dor magic system is ridiculous. The fact that the solution to fixing the problem was that simple and easy to fix was a bit eye rolling.

#27988 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 13 January 2022 - 06:51 PM

Disappointment with the WoT tv-series made me continue my re-read which had fallen off after book 2, soon to start Path of Daggers and I'm enjoying it. Jordan did really succeed in bringing another world to life in a way few other authors do whatever other flaws his writing have :D

This post has been edited by Chance: 13 January 2022 - 06:51 PM

#27989 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 14 January 2022 - 12:13 AM

View PostChance, on 13 January 2022 - 06:51 PM, said:

Disappointment with the WoT tv-series made me continue my re-read which had fallen off after book 2, soon to start Path of Daggers and I'm enjoying it. Jordan did really succeed in bringing another world to life in a way few other authors do whatever other flaws his writing have :D

Wonder if there's a site that has plot summary + best quotes... I'm sure AF not going to bother trying to read the books again (or listening to the audiobooks... not even with the greatest cast ever (unless they're so great they improvise their own improvements to the text... but those were the good old days of the oral traditions, I guess...)).

Still listening to TFoB, there was a bit of a lull after the first main section but it's been picking up again near the end. To an extent it seems like an excuse for the author to include passages in a quasi-Neo-Victorian style, which is well-done and amusing (and generally better than Victorian literature IMO---with some exceptions...).

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 14 January 2022 - 12:48 AM

#27990 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 14 January 2022 - 08:39 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 14 January 2022 - 12:13 AM, said:

Wonder if there's a site that has plot summary + best quotes... I'm sure AF not going to bother trying to read the books again (or listening to the audiobooks... not even with the greatest cast ever (unless they're so great they improvise their own improvements to the text... but those were the good old days of the oral traditions, I guess...)).

The audiobooks are fairly good, perfect background at work.

One of the great problems with the series is that the first two books are rather weak, then The Dragon Reborn to a Crown of Swords are pretty good, then you get into the books where some storylines probably shouldn't be The Path of Daggers, Winters Heart and Crossroad of Twilight. Not re-read past that I think so Knife of Dreams and Sandersons three will be pretty fresh to me at least.

#27991 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 14 January 2022 - 08:46 AM

Grindingly slow plot and worldbuilding thinner than the armour on House Ordos units is unfortunately par for the course with him in the main. FWIW I enjoyed Elantris well enough, although I would probably have issues with it now since I've finished the BOTF and all available Bakker since I read it, which has given me understandably lofty standard.

I am continuing with The Adventures of Arcane David. I can still smell Morrowind all over Islington. This n'wah gonna become a f'lah if he's not careful. Maybe even have me wish him wealth beyond measure, sera.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#27992 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 14 January 2022 - 07:35 PM

I just finished The Blacktongue Thief. I put my thoughts on that in the appropriate thread.

Next up I'm starting Sylvain Neuvel's Sleeping Giants. I'm not far in but so far I'm really likely the narration. It has a full cast style and they picked great people for the different personalities on display so far.

#27993 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 16 January 2022 - 06:02 AM

Also finished The Blacktongue Thief. Had some issues with the story and it's payoff but overall a really fun and creative fantasy book.

Read the short story The Devil You Know by KJ Parker. It's a short story about the philosopher and inventor Saloninus making a deal with the devil and what happens next. Pretty silly story but fun non the less. It's a great read.

Also read The Emperor's Soul, a novella by Brandon Sanderson. It's set in the same universe as Elantris. It's about a sort of counterfeit mage that can change reality with forgery magic, that is arrested and forced to try and make a dead emperor come back to life. I thought the story was a lot better than Elantris, still very slow pace but interesting magic system and premise for a story.

Finally I read the little story excerpt from the Murderbot series called Home: Habitat, range, niche, territory by Martha Wells. Sort of unnecessary standalone release. It's basically just a throw away chapter from around the time of book two or three.

#27994 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 16 January 2022 - 02:21 PM

Still can't get into the farmhouse to retrieve Shogun so picked up The Encircling Sea by Goldsworthy, book two in Vindolandia series. Enjoyed the first so here's to hoping

#27995 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 January 2022 - 01:39 PM

Reached Book 2 of SHOGUN (almost 1/4 into the book) and have taken a quick break to read something else for a little.

Started EMPIRE OF THE VAMPIRE by Jay Kristoff....and yeah as much as some of the synopsis I posted freaked people out (blood drinking blow job), the rest of the book is completely enthralling.

It's like the best of Leigh Bardugo's type of Gothic folk tale monsters, mixed with high fantasy in a world which mimics 18th century France, and at some point in the past few decades a meteor hit the planet and put everything into nuclear winter and with the sun blotted like that, Vampires can walk in the daytime, and a dash of the Witcher.

I'm so engrossed. So far this is EASILY Kristoff's most accomplished work. Don't let mention of the vampire sex stuff scare you off...while this is definitely fantasy for adults, it's still super readable with a fascinating world.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 17 January 2022 - 01:41 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27996 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 17 January 2022 - 08:03 PM

Today I finished the audiobook of Blacktongue Thief, thoughts in dedthread. Guess I'm going back to "Kvothe is a massive friend zoned nexkbeard who spends way too much time moping over the most annoying character in fiction and still hasn't actually down why he's meant to be so awesome and for a clever guy he does a lot of stupid stuff" because despite everything I kind of want to know what happens...

In dead tree versions I just finished the Raven's Shadow series. The first book was by far the strongest of the three and while it ended satisfactorily imo there were times in book 2 and 3 that I nearly gave up. Not sure why, can't really place my finger on it, I got a bit bored for some reason...

I've also recently read A Secret History by Donna Tartt, I remember enjoying it a lot more the first time I read it, years ago now. Still an intriguing read but not as engrossing as I recall.

Also read a non-fiction book called How Fascism Works by a professor from Yale (or was it Harvard) and it was a very fascinating and terrifying look into how Fascist politics take place, broken down very well into different sections. Highly recommended!

Currently still reading Notes from the Burning Age by Claire North and enjoying it! Hoping to start on Shogun soon. :)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27997 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 19 January 2022 - 08:34 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 January 2022 - 01:39 PM, said:

Reached Book 2 of SHOGUN (almost 1/4 into the book) and have taken a quick break to read something else for a little.

Started EMPIRE OF THE VAMPIRE by Jay Kristoff....and yeah as much as some of the synopsis I posted freaked people out (blood drinking blow job), the rest of the book is completely enthralling.

It's like the best of Leigh Bardugo's type of Gothic folk tale monsters, mixed with high fantasy in a world which mimics 18th century France, and at some point in the past few decades a meteor hit the planet and put everything into nuclear winter and with the sun blotted like that, Vampires can walk in the daytime, and a dash of the Witcher.

I'm so engrossed. So far this is EASILY Kristoff's most accomplished work. Don't let mention of the vampire sex stuff scare you off...while this is definitely fantasy for adults, it's still super readable with a fascinating world.

Imagine being so weak that you quail at the thought of a vampire going to town on you whilst she goes to town on you. Slap those perps, Quick. SLAP THEM HARD.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#27998 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 19 January 2022 - 08:03 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 19 January 2022 - 08:34 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 January 2022 - 01:39 PM, said:

Imagine being so weak that you quail at the thought of a vampire going to town on you whilst she goes to town on you. Slap those perps, Quick. SLAP THEM HARD.

First off Maark, how dare you assume it's a heterosexual vampiric blowjob? Secondly, I quail not from deviant sex in books, you heathen. I enjoyed the Kushiel trilogy long before most of you in here even heard of it.

However, my question at the time it was originally brought up still has not been answered. How does a bloody blowie further the plot or character progression? Is it necessary or is it smut? Because it sounds like smut, and particularly bad smut at that.

#27999 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 19 January 2022 - 09:40 PM

A lawyer's favorite answer is always "It depends on the context."

I think Anne Rice didn't go as far as to make male on male oral sex bloody, but I could totally see it fitting in that general "trashy-supernatural-dramaboat-romance" vibe.

Getting back to the main topic:

I finished all four Golgotha books. I started them because Abyss recommended them and they were good enough that I kept going. I think the overall dynamic is a fairly entertaining supernatural Deadwood + travel afield sections with less cussing, less nudity, and more action.

However, at the end of it, I flipped back to The Crimson Empire series by Alex Marshall because I wanted something that was a bit stronger in terms of words on page writing and character work. I think this series should be alongside the all time greats. The character work is so damned well done with people displaying all kinds of emotions, regrets, hopes, happiness, skepticism etc in a few short pages. The A plot, the B plots, and the comic relief are all so superbly done. I want more from Marshall and I hope he gets to write them.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#28000 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 19 January 2022 - 09:45 PM

Still re-reading WoT.

Crossroads of Twilight really is a terrible book. I jumped quite a bit to get through it :D Knife of Dreams is quite an improvement.

View Postamphibian, on 19 January 2022 - 09:40 PM, said:

However, at the end of it, I flipped back to The Crimson Empire series by Alex Marshall because I wanted something that was a bit stronger in terms of words on page writing and character work. I think this series should be alongside the all time greats. The character work is so damned well done with people displaying all kinds of emotions, regrets, hopes, happiness, skepticism etc in a few short pages. The A plot, the B plots, and the comic relief are all so superbly done. I want more from Marshall and I hope he gets to write them.

They are really brilliant books.

Share this topic:

• 1472 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users