• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#27361 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 11 May 2021 - 12:44 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 11 May 2021 - 04:20 AM, said:

Finished book 2 of Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne. Had lower expectations for this one and (partly as a consequence) enjoyed it more. Plot makes it a bit of a page turner (or whatever the audiobook equivalent is), though characters who are supposed to be smart and savvy conveniently fail to notice certain obvious things. And a few plot points could have had more justification or build up. World building is more extensive than in book 1. I like that it's a polytheistic world. Also, more high fantasy in this one. First book had almost no humor, this has a little bit. Writing is occasionally poetic, but only rarely. Decent character development. Set up for book 3 is interesting.

Be prepared Book 3 is DIVISIVE amongst people who read it. If you go in without any preconceived notions of what's going to happen, you'll like it more.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27362 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 11 May 2021 - 06:06 PM

Skullsworn (Book 4, but a prequel) is a clear masterpiece though.

I like the whole series (reread it recently) and look forward very much to what Stavely does in the future.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#27363 User is offline   Zeto Demerzel 

• Sergeant

Posted 13 May 2021 - 04:13 AM

Moved eagerly on from the Ketty Jay books to Braided Path and it's been far from the joyride that the former was. Book 1 had its high points including an explosive start. Book 2 (The Skein of Lament) was a grim slog for the most part. Hate going through books where characters - multiple ones in this case - are willfully obtuse.

Halfway through my first K J Parker book - The Folding Knife - and am enjoying it thoroughly although some of the economics has gone whooshing past my head :) A smartly written chapter on a plague hit rather close to home too. Will look to read more by Parker although I'm not sure if there's a recommended reading order.

Just finished Taltos 13 - Tiassa too and it was an interesting blend of the Taltos books and the Khaavren Romances ones.

#27364 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 13 May 2021 - 07:48 AM

Was Unhewn Throne the one with the Roc riders? If so book 1 was OK but I didn't really feel any urge to continue past that point.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#27365 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 13 May 2021 - 01:13 PM

View Postamphibian, on 11 May 2021 - 06:06 PM, said:

Skullsworn (Book 4, but a prequel) is a clear masterpiece though.

I like the whole series (reread it recently) and look forward very much to what Stavely does in the future.

Early reviews are out for The Empire's Ruin (very positive). It looks to be a doorstopper, but still with only 3 POVs.

#27366 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 May 2021 - 03:44 AM

View Postamphibian, on 11 May 2021 - 03:49 AM, said:

I read a bunch of VE Schwab books and more and more I found that she's a mood/style writer. If I dig or you dig the mood, the somewhat flat characters and the story holes get overlooked (which is true for most writers). If not, it falls apart pretty fast.

Obviously it's working on a macro scale, due to her continued success. But I just couldn't continue on with the book after This Savage Song. The concepts felt undercooked and the incredibly contrived drama with Mark Lawrence just killed the authorial good will I had.

personality clashes aside, did you try her DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC trilo?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27367 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 May 2021 - 03:46 AM

In other news, at the 2/3rd mark Golgotha 4 GHOST DANCE JUDGMENT is WILD. If you enjoyed 1-3 at all, rustle up 4.

#27368 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 14 May 2021 - 03:59 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 13 May 2021 - 07:48 AM, said:

Was Unhewn Throne the one with the Roc riders? If so book 1 was OK but I didn't really feel any urge to continue past that point.

Yes, the roc riders. It got weirder as the story developed.

#27369 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 14 May 2021 - 04:02 AM

View PostAbyss, on 14 May 2021 - 03:44 AM, said:

I read a bunch of VE Schwab books and more and more I found that she's a mood/style writer. If I dig or you dig the mood, the somewhat flat characters and the story holes get overlooked (which is true for most writers). If not, it falls apart pretty fast.

Obviously it's working on a macro scale, due to her continued success. But I just couldn't continue on with the book after This Savage Song. The concepts felt undercooked and the incredibly contrived drama with Mark Lawrence just killed the authorial good will I had.

I read Vicious and Vengeful, then This Savage Song. I moved on, but I'm willing to try again if you think it's worth it.

#27370 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 May 2021 - 12:34 PM

View Postamphibian, on 14 May 2021 - 04:02 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 14 May 2021 - 03:44 AM, said:

I read Vicious and Vengeful, then This Savage Song. I moved on, but I'm willing to try again if you think it's worth it.

For what it's worth, I really enjoyed the DARKER SHADE trilogy as well. I've not read anything by her except that.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27371 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 May 2021 - 10:27 PM

Started Protector. Book two of the Athenian series by Iggulden. About a quarter in, as good as the first.

Again annoyed by how much of a missed chance his take on Xenophon was

#27372 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 16 May 2021 - 02:37 AM

I finished the Gaunt book I was on. Thoughts in the dedthread.

Now I'm focusing on Ack-Ack. I gotta hand it to you Abyss, I got this just expecting pulpy popcorn goodness and this book is that but it's also better than that. This was a great recommendation and I don't think it's going to take me long to get though it. It's pretty damn engaging.

#27373 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 May 2021 - 12:39 AM

Back into my Michelle West Essalieyan Series read, started book 1 of the Sun Sword portion of the books, THE BROKEN CROWN.

And it’s already damned good. I continue to maintain that West is writing a series on par with Malazan.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 17 May 2021 - 12:39 AM

#27374 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 17 May 2021 - 04:41 AM

View PostJPK, on 16 May 2021 - 02:37 AM, said:

Now I'm focusing on Ack-Ack. I gotta hand it to you Abyss, I got this just expecting pulpy popcorn goodness and this book is that but it's also better than that. This was a great recommendation and I don't think it's going to take me long to get though it. It's pretty damn engaging.

It reaches 'hard to put down' levels by about halfway and just flies. Am very psyched to start 2. Glad you enjoyed.

View PostAbyss, on 14 May 2021 - 03:46 AM, said:

In other news, at the 2/3rd mark Golgotha 4 GHOST DANCE JUDGMENT is WILD. If you enjoyed 1-3 at all, rustle up 4.

Just Finished.
Belcher knocks it out of the ballpark with the finales in this book... gut wrenching pulse pounding sequence after sequence, everyone's at risk, and knowing KNOWING they cannot lose because he told you that in the first chapter, it's even MORE rivetting because how the hell are they going to pull this save off and who is going to be alive for it...
And the epilogues... don't even get me started. It appears we will be getting book 5 in this series, but even if that doesn't happen it's a solid end point.

Great book, great series, totally worth the dollars and time. The characters are captivating, the setting is brilliant, the action sequences go from great to HOLY HAND GRENADE DID I JUST READ THAT.

#27375 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 17 May 2021 - 07:16 PM

Just finished book two of the Athenian series by Iggulden, QT, get yourself on the train, these are easily as good as the Khan books.

I want book 3 already

#27376 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 May 2021 - 07:35 PM

View PostMacros, on 17 May 2021 - 07:16 PM, said:

Just finished book two of the Athenian series by Iggulden, QT, get yourself on the train, these are easily as good as the Khan books.

I want book 3 already

NOTED! I will have to get book 1 soon otherwise I'll get too behind.

#27377 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 18 May 2021 - 11:41 AM

View PostBriar King, on 17 May 2021 - 07:48 PM, said:

Have pulled out Licanus 1 and Dreamblood. Will have to see which I lean more toward.

Greg Louganis 1 was dang good.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#27378 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 20 May 2021 - 05:42 AM

Finished The Midnight Library by Matt Haig last night.

A nice little book, I'd say, for me, the end conclusion was something...predictable? Fairly early in but that takes nothing from the journey. The subject matter, life, death and regrets has ample opportunity to turn into a navel gazing fest but it doesn't, it sticks to a few simple themes and philosophies.
Quite short, definitely enough in it that I'll pick up another book of his if I see it

#27379 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 23 May 2021 - 10:19 PM

I finished The Burning White the final book in the Lightbringer series. Really good finale, if a bit sloggy in the first half. Ended well imo.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27380 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 May 2021 - 02:17 AM

Did they bring the light?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 1478 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

23 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users