• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#26861 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 January 2021 - 06:03 PM

I am late to the forum love fest but Red Rising! Did sleep last night and red the book from start to finish. I enjoyed it which is interesting actaully because the world building starts strong and gets weaker due to the nature of the book and also its not original. Has hunger game vibes among a 100 other books that have similair tropes but it was fantastic. I think I love first person narration.

#26862 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 05 January 2021 - 07:32 PM

View PostCause, on 05 January 2021 - 06:03 PM, said:

I am late to the forum love fest but Red Rising! Did sleep last night and red the book from start to finish. I enjoyed it which is interesting actaully because the world building starts strong and gets weaker due to the nature of the book and also its not original. Has hunger game vibes among a 100 other books that have similair tropes but it was fantastic. I think I love first person narration.

Keep reading the series. Every time you think it can't crank up the crazy again, it does.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#26863 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 05 January 2021 - 09:55 PM

View PostCause, on 05 January 2021 - 06:03 PM, said:

It morphs past the "academy battles" model quickly in the next book.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#26864 User is offline   Zeto Demerzel 

• Sergeant

Posted 06 January 2021 - 05:42 AM

View Postamphibian, on 05 January 2021 - 04:40 PM, said:

Quick Tidal is not underselling the LotR clone aspect of Sword, although I think Brooks improved on some elements and did worse on others.

The general idea is that Brooks keeps going back to the land for slightly different generations of characters to do "save the world" things.

I've been considering giving this series a shot but am turned off by both the size of the series (11 books?) and suggestions of the books being LoTR clone (sorry, the latter, in particular, can really get me worked up). I have watched both seasons of The Shannara Chronicles and found the series passably entertaining but often trying. Are the books more of the same? Better? Worse? Different?

#26865 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 06 January 2021 - 06:01 AM

The first book is where the LotR clone thing is really obvious. The rest tell different stories. I haven't watched the show, so I'll let someone else talk about their comparison.

I think they're decent popcorn reading. Just chill out, read about a band of accidental heroes and one ticked off druid trying to save the world through the generations.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#26866 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 January 2021 - 07:49 AM

I have watched season one of the show and not read any of the books.

I found the show pretty dreadful

#26867 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 January 2021 - 02:20 PM

View PostZeto Demerzel, on 06 January 2021 - 05:42 AM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 05 January 2021 - 04:40 PM, said:

Quick Tidal is not underselling the LotR clone aspect of Sword, although I think Brooks improved on some elements and did worse on others.

The general idea is that Brooks keeps going back to the land for slightly different generations of characters to do "save the world" things.

I've been considering giving this series a shot but am turned off by both the size of the series (11 books?) and suggestions of the books being LoTR clone (sorry, the latter, in particular, can really get me worked up). I have watched both seasons of The Shannara Chronicles and found the series passably entertaining but often trying. Are the books more of the same? Better? Worse? Different?

See below my feelings on the show.

The books are solidly good with a few stinkers (the aforementioned LOTR clone is the main stinker), and some lacklustre diminishing returns books in the latter few series. There are a lot of books, but you don't have to read them all. I'll give you a list and my feelings to give you an idea, I have put them in Chronological order as opposed to publishing order.

The Word & The Void books (you don't HAVE to read these, as they are contemporary events in our world that lead to there events which result in the destruction of our world). I can vouch for ALL of them being really great reads....they are sort of urban fantasy with demons and not high fantasy.

RUNNING WITH THE DEMON
A KNGIHT OF THE WORD
ANGEL FIRE EAST

The Genesis of Shannara (these are the books that show the transition and destruction of our world which leads into Shannara/The Four Lands) They are also really good, and sort of act like a crossover from the UrbFant of the W&V books, and the high fantasy of the Shannara books.

ARMAGEDDON'S CHILDREN
THE ELVES Of CINTRA
THE GYPSY MORPH

Legends of Shannara (This is the first set of books in actual The Four Lands Shannara as opposed to our recognizable earth, it's 500 years after the previous trilogy) Honestly, these are both highly skippable. They are fine, but nothing special and are kind of needless introductions to Druids and whatnot when that happens anyways in the other books. I did not care much for this duology.

BEARERS OF THE BLACK STAFF
THE MEASURE OF THE MAGIC

Direct Prequel

THE FIRST KING OF SHANNARA (This is a direct prequel to the events in SWORD, and it was my first Shannara book and I REALLY enjoyed it, but YMMV and you don't NEED to read it...but you may want to if you decide to skip SWORD)

THE SWORD OF SHANNARA (skippable LOTR clone)
THE ELFSTONES OF SHANNARA (This one is great, start here or with FIRST KING)
THE WISHSONG OF SHANNARA (This one is also great)

Heritage of Shannara (The first Quadrilogy in the series) - these are all good and introduce some of the most fun and kickass characters in the series.

THE SCIONS OF SHANNARA
THE DRUID OF SHANNARA
THE ELF QUEEN OF SHANNARA
THE TALISMANS OF SHANNARA

The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara (this one is hinky, it's the one that contains one of the most developed characters in the entire series (no spoilers), but the actual trilogy is only okay. It's also the first time [before Terry connected his Word & Void books to Shannara] you get really solid indications that Shannara USED to be a technologically advanced society that suffered a cataclysm and apocalypse; I'd read the first book and see if it tickles your fancy)

ISLE WITCH
ANTRAX
MORGAWR

High Druid of Shannara (again, this one contains important info, mostly about the reformed Druidic order; it's good)

JAKA RUUS
TANEQUIL
STRAKEN

The Dark Legacy of Shannara (oof, this one was a stumble for me...it's fine, but not exceptional)

WARDS OF FAERIE
BLOODFIRE QUEST
WITCH WRAITH

The Defenders of Shannara (this is my least favourite trilogy in the series, [and not really a trilogy as they are all standalones] and contains the books I feel are weakest next to SWORD, and it's skippable really)

THE HIGH DRUIDS BLADE
THE DARKLING CHILD
THE SORCERERS DAUGHTER

The Fall of Shannara (self explanatory end of the series, and I've only read book 1 but In really enjoyed it and think the end of the series will be something special)

THE BLACK ELFSTONE
THE SKAAR INVASION
THE STEIHL ASSASSIN
THE LAST DRUID

View Postamphibian, on 06 January 2021 - 06:01 AM, said:

I haven't watched the show, so I'll let someone else talk about their comparison.

the show was MTV's one and only attempt at a prestige drama for teens...so much so that they shot the thing in NZ to get a Middle Earth vibe. That said, even for the book they followed for their outline of S1 (ELFSTONES OF SHANNARA) is only LOOSELY based, and S3 was its own thing really.

It is not close to the books in much more than character and plot outlines. They took a LOT of liberties.

View PostMacros, on 06 January 2021 - 07:49 AM, said:

I have watched season one of the show and not read any of the books.

I found the show pretty dreadful

Mac is right, what I liked about the show is outweighed in the end by how dreadful it ended up being, even in S2 when they tried to do some new things...
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26868 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 January 2021 - 03:25 PM

Almost done Part 1 of STAR WARS - THE HIGH REPUBLIC: THE LIGHT OF THE JEDI by Charles Soule which is the section that deals with the event that kicks off the whole era...and HOLY CRAP this is good. I'm going to go into non-spoiler reasons and spoiler reasons in the red-thread for SW books for anyone who wants to follow the progress.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26869 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 06 January 2021 - 03:29 PM

*cough* NERDS *cough*

#26870 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 06 January 2021 - 06:11 PM

TCG. I'm holding strong.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#26871 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 06 January 2021 - 08:40 PM

You're a warrior, a hero!

#26872 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 January 2021 - 08:53 PM

Certainly has incredible will power and stamina.

#26873 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 08 January 2021 - 05:20 PM

Finished Robopocalypse by Daniel S. Wilson. Not as good of a take on the fictional post-war history book as World War Z but still an interesting story. I think the book could have done with more stories, more witness accounts and generally a greater length.

Started up Have a nice day: A tale of blood and sweatsocks by Mick Foley alias Mankind or Cactus Jack.

It's cool so far, I love the stories about wrestling so much more than the actual wrestling. It's a ridiculous lifestyle and industry.

#26874 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 January 2021 - 06:12 PM

View PostAptorian, on 08 January 2021 - 05:20 PM, said:

Finished Robopocalypse by Daniel S. Wilson. Not as good of a take on the fictional post-war history book as World War Z but still an interesting story. I think the book could have done with more stories, more witness accounts and generally a greater length.

If you can find it, seek out STORIES OF IBIS by Hiroshi Yamamoto...it's probably THE Best post-human machines A.I. books I've ever read and it's a bunch of little standalone stories that make up the larger point, couched in a framing narrative of a human asking a machine questions.

#26875 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 08 January 2021 - 08:48 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 January 2021 - 06:12 PM, said:

If you can find it, seek out STORIES OF IBIS by Hiroshi Yamamoto...it's probably THE Best post-human machines A.I. books I've ever read and it's a bunch of little standalone stories that make up the larger point, couched in a framing narrative of a human asking a machine questions.

This sounded incredible to me so I checked it out and it's on Kindle, at least here in the UK.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#26876 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 08 January 2021 - 09:24 PM

It'll go on the wishlist.

#26877 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 09 January 2021 - 03:39 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 January 2021 - 06:12 PM, said:

I'll second that! Wonderful book.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#26878 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 09 January 2021 - 04:05 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 January 2021 - 03:25 PM, said:

Almost done Part 1 of STAR WARS - THE HIGH REPUBLIC: THE LIGHT OF THE JEDI by Charles Soule which is the section that deals with the event that kicks off the whole era...and HOLY CRAP this is good. I'm going to go into non-spoiler reasons and spoiler reasons in the red-thread for SW books for anyone who wants to follow the progress.

I quite liked this book and I am excited about the High Republic era in general. Always wanted more SW fiction set in Republic times

#26879 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 January 2021 - 08:09 PM

View PostAndorion, on 09 January 2021 - 04:05 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 January 2021 - 03:25 PM, said:

I quite liked this book and I am excited about the High Republic era in general. Always wanted more SW fiction set in Republic times

I just finished it myself a few minutes ago, and I agree. It was wonderful and exciting, and I can’t wAit to see what’s next!

Charles Soule basically pulled a Zahn here and like HEIR TO THE EMPIRE, gave us an intro to a whole new era that stands alone as a stunning book all on its own.

I have pre-ordered the next two main High Republic books (by Claudia Gray, and Cavan Scott respectively) on the back of how blown away I was by this one.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 09 January 2021 - 08:12 PM

#26880 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 10 January 2021 - 04:02 PM

Just finished Blood of Rome (Scarrows Eagle series book....16/17)
Not the strongest in the series but still a solid book, if you liked the rest you'll like this one

Share this topic:

• 1479 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

15 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users