• You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#26241 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:43 PM

View PostAptorian, on 22 May 2020 - 08:30 PM, said:

I can see Martha Wellshas written a lot of stuff. I got the first 3 books in "The Books of Raksura" series she wrote from an older Humble Bundle.

Anyone read them? First one's called the Cloud Roads. Sound sort of YA.

They're not young adult, but the conflicts and resolutions are much more like CJ Cherryh's Foreigner series than an action series. I like them quite a bit and Wells as an author too.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#26242 User is online   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:22 AM

I've not read Raskura yet coz they're pretty expensive on Kobo though eventually I'll have to take the plunge. Also the final Ile-Rien trilogy is unavailable in ebook which is infuriating.

But Wells is a great author. Read I think all of her standalones and the earlier Ile-Rien books.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#26243 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 May 2020 - 08:41 AM

@puck.

Yah I'm struggling with the narrative style a bit. The voice in head of protagonist isn't well done and it's jarring for me

#26244 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:12 AM

Obligatory reminder that we'll be starting a reread of both Night of Knives and Bonehunters next Monday, June 1st.

Here's the dedicated threads in the General Book Topic forum:

2020 Malazan Re-read: Night of Knives

2020 Malazan Re-read: Bonehunters

#26245 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 24 May 2020 - 12:40 PM

Just read the first three chapters of Hunter S. Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

This is a highly entertaining read though I wonder at these people's mortality if they imbibed just a fraction of this amount of drugs and alcohol on the regular.

Got Fear and Loathing on the Campaign trail lined up as well. I've never read the books but I've always enjoyed Thompson's shorter stories and articles.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 24 May 2020 - 12:41 PM

#26246 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 25 May 2020 - 02:17 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 May 2020 - 06:26 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 22 May 2020 - 05:34 PM, said:

Started All Systems Red, the first book in the Murderbot Diaries by Martha Wells.

So far it's fun and light. It's very barebones, no real world building or attempt at creating a setting directly. It's just days in the life of a murderbot on a research mission that's turning to shit.

I like the Murderbot. It's wonderfully introverted and cynical. I think it's my spirit animal.

I've got the first four queued up on my kindle for future devouring. Glad to hear it's good and fun.

View PostAptorian, on 22 May 2020 - 08:14 PM, said:

Finished Murderbot 1

Cool little story though I don't really see why this is noteworthy enough to win awards.

Liked the ending. Felt like the right kind of choice for Murderbot.

Ordered book 2 and 3 from Libby. There's a three week wait unfortunately.

They get better, and I think are best read close together. 1 was good enough to get me to 2, which was better. By 3 i was hooked and the end of 4 is awesome. 5 couldn't get here soon enough and was a full novel. I was a little sceptical whether the Murderbot format, so to speak, would work in longer form... it did. What might have been considered padding works really well specifically because of Murderbot's perspective.

View Postamphibian, on 22 May 2020 - 10:43 PM, said:

I can see Martha Wellshas written a lot of stuff. I got the first 3 books in "The Books of Raksura" series she wrote from an older Humble Bundle.

They're not young adult, but the conflicts and resolutions are much more like CJ Cherryh's Foreigner series than an action series. I like them quite a bit and Wells as an author too.

View Postpolishgenius, on 23 May 2020 - 06:22 AM, said:

I've not read Raskura yet coz they're pretty expensive on Kobo though eventually I'll have to take the plunge. Also the final Ile-Rien trilogy is unavailable in ebook which is infuriating.

But Wells is a great author. Read I think all of her standalones and the earlier Ile-Rien books.

Good to know. I haven't quite decided to get her fantasy books but am likely to.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#26247 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 25 May 2020 - 03:23 PM

So I've finished the first two of the completed JILL KISMET series, by Lilith Saintcrow. I picked this up from the tor blog post where Seanann McGuire recommended ten urban fantasy series/books that she liked. This was the controversial one where she didn't include Dresden and the fanboys exploded across social media. I picked up War of the Oaks from that which was ace so I had high hopes for this. The recommendation was based on the character development and that actions have real consequences.

Which I have to say has delivered. Theres the same common beats of urban fantasy in this and the odd repetitive line but it's a gripping read. It did grate that the heroine's car is an orange impala, but I take that as a Dresden influence. It's quite grim dark which is why I've had to take a break and come back to the rest later. There are some ace lines in there but the character development is good and the moral tension between the heroine and antagonist is great, twisted and complicated. The world building comes out slowly and nicely and something's arent explained yet - not entirely show then tell though.

I kind of dont want to make dresden comparisons but I dont have the skill or other examples to outline the hook without that benchmark, imagine Harry
Spoiler
and is sat in a role of judge dredd style enforcement of the hell infused underworld. Worth a look if the grimness doesnt put you off.

Started THE FIRST FIFTEEN LIVES OF HARRY AUGUST as a change of pace before the Malazan reread double header month kicks off.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#26248 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:50 PM

Gave up on War and Peace it was just full. Rich Russians talking about other rich Russians. Read it for a few days, got tons of chapters in, only 10% through. Forget that.

Reading TOUCH by Claire North instead. Love the concept already!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#26249 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:50 PM

Gave up on War and Peace it was just full. Rich Russians talking about other rich Russians. Read it for a few days, got tons of chapters in, only 10% through. Forget that.

Reading TOUCH by Claire North instead. Love the concept already!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#26250 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 26 May 2020 - 02:33 AM

Whew, finally finished "Fugitive Prince", the 4th Wars of Light and Shadow book. Did the last 100 pages in a single sitting today.

I've got very mixed feelings about this series. Wurts is a great writer, and there's clearly a ton of thought being put into the world, and the plot is complex and intriguing.

But... the writing style is reminiscent of the late Gene Wolfe- I have to work for each little bit of it. Wurts never misses an opportunity to throw in a descriptive adjective or adverb into each sentence, and that makes her writing, while evocative, an extra effort to comprehend and visualize. I always end up having to pace myself through these books, otherwise I just burn out and don't want to expand the mental energy for a several days. She's one of the few writers that makes me appreciate how inadequate my non-native English comprehension can be.

Still, gonna have to order the next one "Grand Conspiracy" sometime soon.

Meanwhile, next on the reading list is the second Liveship Traders book, "Mad Ship"
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#26251 User is offline   Zeto Demerzel 

• Sergeant

Posted 26 May 2020 - 05:09 AM

Read Death of the Necromancer a while ago. Found it vaguely Locke Lamora like but perhaps not quite as good. Not a bad read overall. I assumed, at that time, that it was a standalone but just found out it's book 2 in a series

#26252 User is offline   Zeto Demerzel 

• Sergeant

Posted 26 May 2020 - 05:16 AM

Needed a pick me up after reading Chasm City and All the Birds in the Sky parallelly. Thought the former was a big step down - small in scope and focused on unpleasant (and, frequently, incompetent) little s**** - from the awesome Revelation Space. Just didn't care for the latter.

Reading Red Rising and Rai-Kirah 1 - Transformation now and am enjoying both thoroughly. They both seem to share some odd commonality too.

#26253 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:45 AM

View PostMentalist, on 26 May 2020 - 02:33 AM, said:

Meanwhile, next on the reading list is the second Liveship Traders book, "Mad Ship"

Such a good trilogy. I'd say it's the best I've read of Hobb's writing.

#26254 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 27 May 2020 - 06:55 PM

Just read a superb YA book, some say it's a little over wrought but...

It couldn't be simpler. You've got the academic who survived the Stalinist purges and is now having flashbacks to that time. There's his daughter whose long bitter marriage is falling apart around her and the journalist who's investigated the academic because he suspects he was never in Russia at the time and then he falls obsessively in love with the daughter and sacrifices his career to become a lens grinder in Omsk

#26255 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 27 May 2020 - 10:08 PM

View PostMacros, on 27 May 2020 - 06:55 PM, said:

It couldn't be simpler. You've got the academic who survived the Stalinist purges and is now having flashbacks to that time. There's his daughter whose long bitter marriage is falling apart around her and the journalist who's investigated the academic because he suspects he was never in Russia at the time and then he falls obsessively in love with the daughter and sacrifices his career to become a lens grinder in Omsk

Why does this sound like the setup to a dad joke?

:p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#26256 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:38 PM

View PostCyphon, on 26 May 2020 - 07:45 AM, said:

View PostMentalist, on 26 May 2020 - 02:33 AM, said:

Such a good trilogy. I'd say it's the best I've read of Hobb's writing.

Seconded - they were always my favourite trilogy :)
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#26257 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:25 PM

I started the Liveship Traders after greatly enjoying the Assassin trilogy but I was just so bored with the first book. After a hundred pages of bla bla living ships, it's hard to be a captain, bla, bla. I gave up.

#26258 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 28 May 2020 - 03:00 PM

I read them first I think, before anything to do with Fitz - I do wonder if that has something to do with my enduring fondness for them.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#26259 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 28 May 2020 - 03:20 PM

I think the Liveship trilogy takes longer to warm up, which may explain the 100 page drop off Apt, but then gets a similar pace and drama to the farseer books.

#26260 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:01 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 27 May 2020 - 10:08 PM, said:

View PostMacros, on 27 May 2020 - 06:55 PM, said:

Why does this sound like the setup to a dad joke?

:p

It's a superb book.

So good it had to be burned

Share this topic:

• 1472 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. polishgenius