Malazan Empire: The (original) Michelle West Discussion Thread - Malazan Empire

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The (original) Michelle West Discussion Thread A thread to discuss, well you probably worked that out...

#141 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 30 May 2023 - 12:40 AM

View PostJPK, on 29 May 2023 - 02:10 AM, said:

View Postpat5150, on 29 May 2023 - 12:39 AM, said:

Me: Nobody can write a convergence to end a book/series like Steven Erikson.

Michelle West: Hold my drink.

That is some very high praise there.

I'm waiting.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#142 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 May 2023 - 01:49 PM

Still have about 150 pages to go and so far it's glorious.

The finale of The Sun Sword feels like what Robert Jordan's Last Battle should have been in WoT. Sadly, Sanderson fucked it up by having everyone but Bella have their own POV and a battle that lasted like 800 pages.

It's nice to see so many things come full circle and with new revelations that keep you begging for more.

Michelle West is a truly gifted author. . .
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#143 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 30 May 2023 - 02:07 PM

I'm set to start The Broken Crown tonight or tomorrow.

The first three books of The House War are an absolute treat...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#144 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 31 May 2023 - 02:54 PM

I have the day off and about 130 pages left to read in The Sun Sword.

Montréal is in the middle of its first heat wave of the year. So I'm going to sit down at Tim Hortons, grab myself a large iced cappuccino, and finish this sucker!

Should make for a great afternoon. . . :)
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#145 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 31 May 2023 - 03:06 PM

View Postpat5150, on 31 May 2023 - 02:54 PM, said:

Montréal is in the middle of its first heat wave of the year. So I'm going to sit down at Tim Hortons, grab myself a large iced cappuccino Blackberry Yuzo Quencher, and finish this sucker!

FTFY. ;)
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#146 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 31 May 2023 - 03:54 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 31 May 2023 - 03:06 PM, said:

Montréal is in the middle of its first heat wave of the year. So I'm going to sit down at Tim Hortons, grab myself a large iced cappuccino Blackberry Yuzo Quencher, and finish this sucker!

FTFY. ;)

I am Abyss and i endorse this fix.

...damn Tims and their stupidly drinkable fruit drinks...

#147 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 May 2023 - 03:55 PM

View PostAbyss, on 31 May 2023 - 03:54 PM, said:

FTFY. ;)

The Orange Ginger one is fine....but the Blackberry Yuzo one is next level.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#148 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 31 May 2023 - 03:57 PM

Infidels!

Were I PM, you'd be deported!

#149 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 31 May 2023 - 04:30 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 31 May 2023 - 03:55 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 31 May 2023 - 03:54 PM, said:

FTFY. ;)

The Orange Ginger one is fine....but the Blackberry Yuzo one is next level.

Agreed. Strawb Watermelon isn't bad either. Peach is just ok.

View Postpat5150, on 31 May 2023 - 03:57 PM, said:

Infidels!

Were I PM, you'd be deported!

Were you PM everyone would be too busy reading and watching football to deport anyone.

#150 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 31 May 2023 - 07:56 PM

View PostAbyss, on 31 May 2023 - 04:30 PM, said:

Were you PM everyone would be too busy reading and watching football to deport anyone.

You forgot hockey. As a Candian, for this you will/should burn in Hell!

So I finished The Sun Sword in it was the perfect ending for an amazing series. I knew beforehand that Jewel's plotline ended in a cliffhanger and I was afraid that it would be the case for other storylines as well. But know, West does a great job tying up loose ends and bringing everything together with enough closure to make this a totally satisfying read. Yes, I'm going to give it another 10/10, so this will be the only SFF series in the Hotlist's history to garner 2 perfect scores.

The worse things is that I can't really share this with any of you bastards.

Damn Tiste and Abyss, who like blind men listen to books instead of reading them, and who go through like one chapter a week!

Damn QT who finished The Shining Court and elected to read something else afterward. So instead of gushing about that book and share our excitement about Sea of Sorrows, this guy raves about fruity drinks!

Damn everyone who are reading the first three House War books instead of the Sun Sword! Not only can I not share your excitement, but all the good stuff is hidden behind spoiler tags and I don't want to get spoiled!

And finally, damn you all who haven't given Michelle West a shot yet. At first it was only QT and I know the guy can sometimes be a little off. But then I came, with over 700 hundred reviews under my belt. Surely that counts for something, no!?! Then we got Tiste, Abyss, Champ, Whisperzzzzzz, amphibian, JPK, and more. All of these people cannot be wrong, right? Well, yes they can, but you know, yall need to get with the program!

So could you all please read a little faster so we can discuss these books in more depth!?! :respect:

This post has been edited by pat5150: 31 May 2023 - 08:45 PM

#151 User is online   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 31 May 2023 - 11:11 PM

View Postpat5150, on 31 May 2023 - 07:56 PM, said:

Damn Tiste and Abyss, who like blind men listen to books instead of reading them, and who go through like one chapter a week!

So could you all please read a little faster so we can discuss these books in more depth!?!

I've hopped over to audiobook for The Uncrowned King as well, but I did it so I can get through it sooner because I don't want to stop reading Wolfe either.

I'll be through chapter 6 today but I'm afraid to jump into either Tiste or Abyss' threads cause I don't want to get spoilers.

This post has been edited by JPK: 31 May 2023 - 11:12 PM

#152 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 01 June 2023 - 02:27 AM

View PostJPK, on 31 May 2023 - 11:11 PM, said:

So could you all please read a little faster so we can discuss these books in more depth!?!

I've hopped over to audiobook for The Uncrowned King as well, but I did it so I can get through it sooner because I don't want to stop reading Wolfe either.

I'll be through chapter 6 today but I'm afraid to jump into either Tiste or Abyss' threads cause I don't want to get spoilers.

Yah stay clear, we're both further along.
You can always start your own reading thread. This crowd is respectful about spoilage.

#153 User is online   JPK 

Posted 01 June 2023 - 03:03 AM

View PostAbyss, on 01 June 2023 - 02:27 AM, said:

View PostJPK, on 31 May 2023 - 11:11 PM, said:

Yah stay clear, we're both further along.
You can always start your own reading thread. This crowd is respectful about spoilage.

I suspect I'll catch up quick, I get a lot of listening time at work.

I haven't started my own thread yet cause it just feels like overkill, lol..

#154 User is online   JPK 

Posted 04 June 2023 - 05:43 PM

Tiste and Abyss - check out the audible sale. Lots of the Sun Sword and House War books are under the price of a credit.

#155 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 05 June 2023 - 08:19 AM

View PostJPK, on 04 June 2023 - 05:43 PM, said:

Tiste and Abyss - check out the audible sale. Lots of the Sun Sword and House War books are under the price of a credit.

Thanks for the heads up I'll check to see if it's on here.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#156 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 06 June 2023 - 02:43 AM

Ok, so the new Max Gladstone isn't doing it for me and I'm experiencing severe Sun Sword withdrawal. Nothing wrong with the book. It's just not as good as what I've been reading lately.

Been trying to psych myself up about starting The Hidden City since last week, but I just can't generate the interest to go through 2000 pages of Jewel and her den's backstory. Not yet.

Hence, since I'm dying to find out what happens next, and since some people have been telling me that I can skip the first 3 House War books without missing much, I'm going to jump ahead and read Skirmish, the fourth installment. That one covers only three days following Jewel's return, so it should be all right. If at any point I feel like I'm missing out on something important, I'll backtrack and read the first 3 House War novels before going back to the future.

If all goes well, I'll read the last 5 and then return to the first 3, and then read the Sacred Hunt duology to get ready for the first volume of West's new series.

The lure of the aftermath of the Sun Sword has gotten the better of me. . .

#157 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 06 June 2023 - 03:20 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 05 June 2023 - 08:19 AM, said:

View PostJPK, on 04 June 2023 - 05:43 PM, said:

Thanks for the heads up I'll check to see if it's on here.

Already exploited tnx JPK.
House War is seriously discounted, Sun Sword less so but not bad.

#158 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 June 2023 - 12:07 PM

View Postpat5150, on 06 June 2023 - 02:43 AM, said:

Hence, since I'm dying to find out what happens next, and since some people have been telling me that I can skip the first 3 House War books without missing much, I'm going to jump ahead and read Skirmish, the fourth installment.

This is a mistake.

It's not just about Jewel and her Den, the vast majority of my Kin/Isladar/Humans/demons/Shining City knowledge comes from those books...

#159 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 06 June 2023 - 02:26 PM

But you are still only at volume 3 of the Sun Sword. Some people who have read both claim that the 3 House War books unnecessarily elaborate on the backgrounds of certain characters and events that are concisely and sufficiently explained in the Sun Sword itself. So by the time you reach volume 6, perhaps everything you needs to know will have been revealed.

I don't know who to believe. And as mentioned elsewhere, this is probably one of the main reasons why so few readers have given Michelle West a shot. :(

#160 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 June 2023 - 02:28 PM

View Postpat5150, on 06 June 2023 - 02:26 PM, said:

But you are still only at volume 3 of the Sun Sword. Some people who have read both claim that the 3 House War books unnecessarily elaborate on the backgrounds of certain characters and events that are concisely and sufficiently explained in the Sun Sword itself. So by the time you reach volume 6, perhaps everything you needs to know will have been revealed.

I don't know who to believe. And as mentioned elsewhere, this is probably one of the main reasons why so few readers have given Michelle West a shot. :(

West is the one that set the reading order. You skipped it to read Sun Sword. Hey man, you do you...I just feel like you're missing a lot by skipping those three.

Share this topic:

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users