• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What is Kruppe

#21 User is offline   Hume 

• Banned Like a Mushroom
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 07 December 2005 - 11:07 AM

Sorry Roland, I will cease ignoring your posts. :)

#22 User is offline   megaphage 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:07 PM

I think Kruppe is Steven Erikson. :) He's going to write himself into the story as a wandering intellect from another realm (Earth). He has the story so embedded in his brain that his mind has developed its own personality in the story, roaming freely and interacting directly with the environment and its inhabitants. This would explain Kruppe's influence ability to do things others cannot.
Perhaps the story has grown to have a life of its own, spreading and swarming and taking over Erikson's brain. The story has become a reality and is out of control. The conventional ending Erikson had planned is now impossible, so he has had to insert a conscious part of himself into the story in order to bring down the unruly tale from within.
Steven Erikson has to do this before the story takes control of his reader's brain's and spreads further into human consciousness.

STEVEN ERIKSON IS KRUPPE!! :p

#23 Guest_little lord fonty_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:19 PM

^^
At first I thought you must have been at some serious chemicals to come up with that...although pondering on it...I like it!!

You have my backing!! Steven Erikson is Kruppe. lol

So if he is Kruppe...then who does that make his mule??

#24 User is offline   Asheroth 

• High Fist

Posted 08 December 2005 - 09:37 AM

Patch.

#25 User is offline   Kallor 

• First Sword

Posted 08 December 2005 - 04:42 PM

i am not kruppe...i have far better manners...neither is kruppe anything like SE...but that was an interesting thought, megaphage

#26 User is offline   Folken 

• Never throw your life away so easily

Posted 08 December 2005 - 05:08 PM

Patch is Pust, I have established that by his new Custome Title. Paranoid Ranter fits Pust perfectly, even though the man denies it all...:eek3:
<div align='center'>You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are - Juan Manuel Fangio</div>

#27 User is offline   zeeny 

• Sergeant

Posted 08 December 2005 - 07:24 PM

think Kruppe is Steven Erikson. He's going to write himself into the story as a wandering intellect

Right. Almost scared me of another forthcoming Dark Tower fiasco...
IMO, Kruppe is def not mortal in the way humans are.
It would have been nice if we know why exactly the hammer didn't effect him(if the power which protected him was Krul's or another power). I like the idea of Kruppe being the vessel of the malazan world, but I doubt it. I do think that he may be the vessel of something smaller tho(warren or something to come?).
Also, as I currently can't remember, Kruppe being a "minor mage"...which was his warren again?

Edit:

Kruppe just seems to be a little more extreme because of his patronage of K'rul

I also disasgree with that. I'm still not convinced the K'rul/Kruppe relationship is one of patron/servant, rather than 2 almost-equals having the same goal for the moment. The thing is, Kruppe seems to have been important to the story before he started dreaming K'rul, and he was also not surprised @ all at the time, IIRC. That's why knowing for certain if it was K'rul who protected him from the hammer is kinda interesting to me.

#28 User is offline   Trotts 

• Barghast Sapper-Wannabe
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 08 December 2005 - 09:24 PM

i always felt that caladans hammer was deflected because of k'rul, and not because of any of kruppes abilities. although k'rul and kruppe are definetly not master/servant...although maybe theyre servant/master heheh

i dont remember kruppes warren ever being mentioned, but when his episode with murillio suggests, to me, that it is mockra

#29 Guest_Bellerophon_*

Posted 08 December 2005 - 09:31 PM

just a tought ....

K'rul was "lost" to the world, into ablivion , no more worshippers no more power (in a verry simplistic kind of way). What if its Kruppe who "refinds" K'rull in GotM i kinda remember he makes himself go up that hill where he meets K'rul. (its been a while since last read it tough ) Wouldnt kruppe be like a Mortal-sword kinda thing or wathever fits an elder god. Given special powers by the god they avow to... (those powers beeing typical for that god ...?) Since K'rul seems a bit like the wizer elder brother among all gods, why wouldn't Kruppe be the most "immortal mortal"?

again just some toughts feel free to send em to the trash.

ps sorry for the probable countless spelling erors :)

#30 Guest_Crawling Chaos_*

Posted 08 December 2005 - 10:52 PM

Kruppe is too slippery an eel for us. He wiggles away from any understanding.

#31 Guest_Gode_*

Posted 09 December 2005 - 01:41 AM

A few things to consider, regarding Kruppe:

First of all, if he's the mortal that's dreaming the "real" world, why does he go somewhere else when he dreams? And where is that place that he goes to? This, I think, is a better reason against Kruppe being responsible for the existence of the world. Not to mention that this world is tremendously old, and I just can't picture Kruppe as having lived THAT long.

Another thing to consider is this: I remember someone saying that anytime a fight breaks out, Kruppe falls unconscious? I don't remember that specifically happening in the books, but I DO remember that when K'rul's priest is attacked by K'chain Che'malle in MOI, his defense is making all of his party members fall unconscious.

So, +1 points for Kruppe being related to K'rul in some way, and -1 points for Kruppe dreaming the world.

The main problem facing us as far as Kruppe is concerned is that he's just TOO good at EVERYTHING. The only failings that he appears to have are those that he chooses to have, in order to put people off from guessing his true strength.

Consider: Kruppe successfully made an entire (very complicated) city jump on his every command. His intelligence was sufficient to anticipate every scenario, and act to turn it to his advantage. We don't see a single other person capable of such a feat, except for Tehol Beddict. And Tehol has no other powers.

Kruppe, in addition to his formiddable mental talents, also possesses a strong magical ability, whose power is surpassed only by its mystery. Strong enough to block (or at least evade) Caladan Brood's hammer, and subtle enough to evade the notice of anyone with power.

Not only that, but he possesses some form of special dreamworld. Not any normal person has a world formed so strongly in their mind that they can be visited by elder gods. And be treated as equals, for that matter.

Anyway, I'm not actually offering any suggestions as to who or what Kruppe is, I just wanted to offer a few points of consideration. :)

#32 User is offline   zeeny 

• Sergeant

Posted 09 December 2005 - 02:52 AM

Kruppe successfully made an entire (very complicated) city jump on his every command.

Yeah, and he did that BEFORE his established relationship with K'rul, by all accounts. In Malazan's universe, we can't attribute that to simple intelligence, can we?;o))
Re: Kruppe's warren...True about Mockra. Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see how special exactly Kruppe is...

#33 Guest_Gode_*

Posted 09 December 2005 - 03:18 AM

zeeny said:

Yeah, and he did that BEFORE his established relationship with K'rul, by all accounts. In Malazan's universe, we can't attribute that to simple intelligence, can we?;o))

Well, I dunno. I think we CAN attribute that to simple intelligence. Tehol managed it. Yes, he had Bugg with him, but at the same time, I got the feeling that Bugg wasn't with him when he did it the first time. Especially considering that we get a little bit of backstory on Tehol when he bails his entire family out of debt at age 12.

So, don't attribute too much to magery when it doesn't need to be. Which is not to say that I think Kruppe is simply a genius... There's definitely something else at work, here. But to be fair, he COULD have done it by just being that damned smart. And by all indications, he IS that damned smart.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

16 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users