Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Dragon Age series

#1 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 December 2021 - 02:51 AM

I'm frankly surprised that a topic dedicated to this game series hasn't already been posted, so I decided to take matters into my own hands and post one.

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 December 2021 - 06:02 AM

Well now...

Attached File  Screenshot_20211227-065420_copy_432x699.png (96.11K)
Number of downloads: 0

#3 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 27 December 2021 - 06:45 AM

Aptorian, on 27 December 2021 - 06:02 AM, said:

That's weird. Whenever I searched for such a thread I got no results found.

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 27 December 2021 - 06:52 AM

The forums search engine isn't great but generally you can find threads easily by using single keywords and only searching for thread titles in specific forums.

Did you want to discuss the upcoming Dragon Age game in production?

#5 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 27 December 2021 - 07:22 AM

Aptorian, on 27 December 2021 - 06:52 AM, said:

The forums search engine isn't great but generally you can find threads easily by using single keywords and only searching for thread titles in specific forums.

Sure, amongst other things.

Since this is the Malazan forums, I find some similarities between Malazan and Dragon Age, such as the Eluvians being somewhat analogous to the Warrens, Laseen's ban on magic similar to the tight restrictions imposed upon mages in many parts of Thedas, the Blight's corruption which resembles the Crippled God's corruption, Thedas having a fragmented history akin to the world of Malaz, and so on and so forth. Maybe I'm just seeing things that aren't there, but I find it surprising that nobody at BioWare has ever acknowledged to at least reading the books since I myself perceive common threads.

#6 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 27 December 2021 - 09:12 AM

Ooh, wait, there is a new Dragon Age game coming?
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 27 December 2021 - 06:07 PM

Dragon Age 4 has been in some kind of production for at least 5 years now. At one point it was put on hold while BioWare focused on Anthem.

Afterwards they've supposedly been redesigning the game because they originally wanted it to be a live service game but after Anthem tanked, they've supposedly reconsidered and are making a more straight forward RPG.

I suspect Dragon Age 4 will probably come out within the next few years but they've yet to show any gameplay I think.

#8 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 27 December 2021 - 06:11 PM

So far all that has been shown is concept art and one voice acting line of dialogue.

#9 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist

Posted 27 December 2021 - 06:12 PM

Looking forward to a next Dragon Age myself. Great fan of the series, especially 1 and 3. (For both games I bought a new pc at the time.) Not sure if the next one is about to be any good, after how Bioware seems to have changed a bit. But I definitely will follow a coming release very closely.

#10 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 27 December 2021 - 06:13 PM

ContrarianMalazanReader, on 27 December 2021 - 07:22 AM, said:

Since this is the Malazan forums, I find some similarities between Malazan and Dragon Age, such as the Eluvians being somewhat analogous to the Warrens, Laseen's ban on magic similar to the tight restrictions imposed upon mages in many parts of Thedas, the Blight's corruption which resembles the Crippled God's corruption, Thedas having a fragmented history akin to the world of Malaz, and so on and so forth. Maybe I'm just seeing things that aren't there, but I find it surprising that nobody at BioWare has ever acknowledged to at least reading the books since I myself perceive common threads.

Game writers obviously get their inspiration from all over the place but I'd assume the core inspiration is the Dungeons and Dragons lore that also inspired Baldurs Gate and Neverwinter Nights.

It's been far too long since I played the Dragon Age games for me to remember specifics but I generally just thought it was very generic fantasy stuff. Dwarves, Elves, Orcs, etc.

#11 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 27 December 2021 - 07:26 PM

I also figure there's still tons of money to be made from Mass Effect and as such they'll be focusing more resources in that direction? That's pure speculation of course.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 27 December 2021 - 07:33 PM

Aptorian, on 27 December 2021 - 06:13 PM, said:

ContrarianMalazanReader, on 27 December 2021 - 07:22 AM, said:

Game writers obviously get their inspiration from all over the place but I'd assume the core inspiration is the Dungeons and Dragons lore that also inspired Baldurs Gate and Neverwinter Nights.

It's been far too long since I played the Dragon Age games for me to remember specifics but I generally just thought it was very generic fantasy stuff. Dwarves, Elves, Orcs, etc.

Admittedly the first game had a very generic look, but the series started to develop its own visual identity with the second game, and based on what I've seen from concept art they are appearing to be letting their imagination run wild.

This post has been edited by ContrarianMalazanReader: 27 December 2021 - 07:34 PM

#13 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 05 December 2023 - 03:58 PM

Bioware announced for Dragon Age Day yesterday that a "full reveal" will be made in summer next year, including a release date.

Fingers crossed.

Also new "Thedas Calls" trailer confirms Rivain, Antiva and Weisshaupt as new locations.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#14 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist

Posted 05 December 2023 - 09:06 PM

Yes, very curious, hope that it will be good.

#15 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 06 December 2023 - 08:54 AM

I have low hopes for it. Largely because modern Bioware, and also largely because of the course of the last two games.

Enjoyable gameplay, but 2 had that one DLC that led into Inquisition, and because I didn't play DLC, Coriphytits was a giant space flea from nowhere with zero context. And having to BUY the ending to Inquisition left a hugely sour taste in my mouth.

I would very much like to be wrong, mind you.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users