Malazan Empire: What are your favorite holiday recipes and traditions? - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are your favorite holiday recipes and traditions?

#1 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 01 December 2021 - 03:37 PM

For some of us the holidays are already here or fast approaching! Given our global group, I was hoping we could share some of our traditions, and especially recipes or links to them!

I’m personally always in a bit of a holiday rut on what to cook for Christmas. My family always insists on a ham, which I can’t eat, due to some weird food intolerance to pork. I’ve been off the veggie wagon for several years after exhaustion from cooking multiple meals! Usually I’ll cook myself a lamb chop, but I don’t know if I can be bothered this year. I may just load up on sides instead.
Our biggest food traditions lie with dessert. We always have a Christmas pudding, and my Mom always makes chocolate crinkle cookies.
https://www.allrecip...te-crinkles-ii/

I look forward to hearing about other’s traditions! (Unless this thread just dies)
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#2 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 December 2021 - 04:52 PM

Fairly standard here, turkey and ham with all the trimmings. Stuffing, potatoes (both mash and roasties), assortment of get, Brussel sprouts (cooked properly not boiled to within an ince of their life), gravy and bread sauce.

Bread sauce is something possibly not the norm, a lot of people look at me in askance when I say it, but it's awesome.

Christmas is awesome for over eating and lying up like a pudding.

Favourite one off day holiday, well no points for guessing it's Paddy's Day.

#3 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 01 December 2021 - 05:28 PM

View PostMacros, on 01 December 2021 - 04:52 PM, said:

Fairly standard here, turkey and ham with all the trimmings. Stuffing, potatoes (both mash and roasties), assortment of get, Brussel sprouts (cooked properly not boiled to within an ince of their life), gravy.

About the same here minus the Ham and bread sauce on Christmas Day and adding in Yorkshire puddings.

We do something different on Christmas Eve dinner each year, before my mother-in-law passed she would often make things like Beef Wellington, or Beef Stroganoff, or just roast with carrots and potatoes.

Last year I did a Norwegian recipe on Christmas Eve that was Roast pork with crackling and wine sauce reduction and Hasslebeck Potatoes and Asparagus. Hard to do but it was probably the BEST non-Turkey Christmas meal I've ever made.

This year, the first without my mother-in-law, my Father-in-law is getting a spiral ham for the Eve dinner, so that's always delicious.

And I bake my moms shortbread cookies each year. They are delicious. The secret is to use brown sugar instead of white sugar.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 01 December 2021 - 05:29 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 December 2021 - 06:00 PM

I don't mind the traditional Americanized Chinese food on Christmas day. Usually I'll get steamed scallops (or sting ray---I'd actually prefer it if they substituted sting ray, as some do, though I've never actually mentioned it---I love sting ray, think I first had it at Marco Pierre White's Michelin starred restaurant in London) and steamed vegetables. Sometimes add some soy sauce and/or hot Chinese mustard.

I love nutmeg, mint, ginger, and cinnamon.

#5 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 01 December 2021 - 07:37 PM

Glazed ham here. Thanksgiving is turkey, so have to switch it up. Big fan of roasted root vegetables (beets, turnips, parsnips, carrots), so we go that route most years than not. Then mostly stereotypical sides - mashed taters and gravy, green beans and so forth. Don't anger me and bring pumpkin pie for desert, that is Thanksgiving. Christmas has to be pecan pie. Visiting my sister and brother in law in the past, he is Irish on his dad's side, but full on deep root Mexican on his mother's side, so he pulls out his world renowned chips and salsa, and you have to be careful not to fill up on that before the big meal. Also, we are big on the charcuterie offerings of meats and cheeses platters (with pickled items as well) before the big meal, so have to be careful filling up with that also. Dad loves to break out the winter libations - loves the berry flavored brandies, particularity blackberry and the honey infused libations as well.

We also have a New Year's Day tradition of a full spread spaghetti & meatballs and lasagna w/ garlic bread dinner. With all day simmering sauce. Big carb load of sinful decadence of a meal before the New Years resolutions to eat healthier are promised. I think we can all agree garlic bread dipped in an all day simmering ragu is the king of "bread sauce."

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 01 December 2021 - 07:38 PM

#6 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 02 December 2021 - 08:35 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 01 December 2021 - 05:28 PM, said:

Fairly standard here, turkey and ham with all the trimmings. Stuffing, potatoes (both mash and roasties), assortment of get, Brussel sprouts (cooked properly not boiled to within an ince of their life), gravy.

Last year I did a Norwegian recipe on Christmas Eve that was Roast pork with crackling and wine sauce reduction and Hasslebeck Potatoes and Asparagus. Hard to do but it was probably the BEST non-Turkey Christmas meal I've ever made.

Ah, Ribbe. One of the joys of Norwegian Christmas! Turkey on the other hand is the shittiest of birds. I don't understand the obsession.

I typically make a kind of salted, smoked sheep rib that I steam in beer for 5 or so hours. With mashed rutabaga (stock from the meat, cream and such mixed in), sausages (typically homemade, I make them a week or two in advance) and potatoes. I use the mix of beer, fat and salt at the bottom of the pan as a base for the sauce, adding some rosmary, mustard that sort of thing. Served with beer and Akkevitt. It's one of the traditional Christmas meals that we've been making for as long as I can remember.

Attached File  pinnekjott-med-vossakorv-og-kalrabistappe.jpg (172.47K)
Number of downloads: 1

I'm not sure if I fully agree with this recipe, but it was one I found in English. https://www.scandiki...ristmas-dinner/
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#7 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 02 December 2021 - 09:32 AM

That looks fucking amazing.

Counterpoint on Turkey. It's only shitty if cooked poorly. Roasting bag, with streaky bacon and butter slathered all over it, cook it upside down.
For the last little while spin around and pierce the roasting bag to crisp the outside.

Boom

#8 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 December 2021 - 10:03 AM

I don't have any recipes to share, sorry. My aunt's house is the 'family gathering' place and for Christmas we do breakfast rather than dinner. I just eat pancakes or waffles and bacon, which I don't do very often so it's still a treat.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#9 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 02 December 2021 - 11:27 AM

View PostMacros, on 02 December 2021 - 09:32 AM, said:

That looks fucking amazing.

Counterpoint on Turkey. It's only shitty if cooked poorly. Roasting bag, with streaky bacon and butter slathered all over it, cook it upside down.
For the last little while spin around and pierce the roasting bag to crisp the outside.

Boom

It is amazing, although you'll be full for about a week afterwards.

#10 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 02 December 2021 - 01:21 PM

View PostMacros, on 02 December 2021 - 09:32 AM, said:

Boom

100%. My MIL slathers butter, bacon, and an assortment of other yummies between the skin and the meat and let’s it soak and cooks it perfect. It’s amazing.

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 02 December 2021 - 03:40 PM

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#11 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 02 December 2021 - 01:49 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 02 December 2021 - 08:35 AM, said:

Ah, Ribbe. One of the joys of Norwegian Christmas! Turkey on the other hand is the shittiest of birds. I don't understand the obsession.

I typically make a kind of salted, smoked sheep rib that I steam in beer for 5 or so hours. With mashed rutabaga (stock from the meat, cream and such mixed in), sausages (typically homemade, I make them a week or two in advance) and potatoes. I use the mix of beer, fat and salt at the bottom of the pan as a base for the sauce, adding some rosmary, mustard that sort of thing. Served with beer and Akkevitt. It's one of the traditional Christmas meals that we've been making for as long as I can remember.

Holy shit. So everyone is going to Morgy's house for Christmas diner this year right? That looks bloody amazing!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 02 December 2021 - 02:56 PM

When I cook turkey, I always dry brine for at least 24 hours, then I put herb butter under the skin and all over it. The cavity gets lemons and herbs. It always turns out beautiful!

Oh! And I am down with going to Morgy’s for Xmas!

This post has been edited by Lady Bliss: 02 December 2021 - 02:57 PM

"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#13 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 02 December 2021 - 08:23 PM

It is best served at a big table, so why not ^_^

#14 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 03 December 2021 - 12:42 AM

Attachment pinnekjott-med-vossakorv-og-kalrabistappe.jpg

I'm not sure if I fully agree with this recipe, but it was one I found in English. https://www.scandiki...ristmas-dinner/

What time should I be there for dinner and should I bring dessert, an app, or both?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#15 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 03 December 2021 - 01:27 AM

I recently decided to get into cooking turkey.

It's taken some growing but I'm the defacto turkey cook for the holidays.

My secret is a salt brine with brown sugar, all spice/cloves, sage and orange peels.With a Salt brine the turkey cooks in 2-3 hours, is incredibly moist and flavourful, and ontop of that the aromas from the brine fill the room.

Stuffing I'm still fine tuning.

#16 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 December 2021 - 07:54 PM

Man, I love the Christmas cookies. But I gotta say, with all the fancy smancy varieties, I like a good 'ol sugar cookie w/ simple icing and festive colored sprinkles.

Also, do you guys have family or friends that send you one of those popcorn tubs with flavored popcorn? I get one of those every year.

#17 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 08 December 2021 - 10:02 PM

Attached File  pinnekjott-med-vossakorv-og-kalrabistappe.jpg (172.47K)
Number of downloads: 1

My daughter came home today and had to do a report on Christmas traditions in Norway. And thanks to this thread I knew one. They eat Ribbe instead of turkey or ham. I was very cool to my 8 year old for about 5 seconds.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#18 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 13 December 2021 - 04:57 AM

Roast beef has become the go to in our home, with a generous platter of cheeses, charcuterie and shrimp dip. Dessert is pumpkin pie with the secret ingredient of sweetened condensed milk - I have never had a different version that was anywhere near as good. Freshly made cranberry sauce on fried chicken as well, with gingerbread cookies and fudge to gnosh on in case 5000 calories wasn't enough.

Champagne, port, and single malt are the toasters and the occasional Rusty Gauntlet in honor of you folk. ;)
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#19 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 13 December 2021 - 05:25 AM

I tested a recipe for brussels sprouts + pomegranate + walnut salad out over Thanksgiving. It was incredible because it's a real burst of acidity + crunch in a food landscape that often is kinda soft and mushy and meaty without much texture to it. The recipe says it serves 4-6, but really, this serves like 8-10 people because it has that much pop to it. This takes approximately 20 minutes to make from start to finish (most of it is slicing up the brussels sprouts and pomegranate)

I got it from here: https://smittenkitch...egranate-salad/

I'm pasting the essentials of the recipe here:

1/2 large red onion, diced small
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons ground sumac
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to season salad
2 cups shredded brussels sprouts
1/2 cup fresh pomegranate seeds (from about 1/2 a large one)
1/2 a large unpeeled apple, cored and diced (I used Granny Smith, the book recommends Pink Lady or Honeycrisp)
Juice of half a lemon, plus more to taste
1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons honey, plus more to taste
1/4 cup olive oil
3/4 cup toasted, cooled walnuts, lightly crushed or coarsely chopped
Ground chipotle chile pepper, urfa biber peppers, hot smoked paprika or another chile flake, to taste

Make the sumac-pickled onions: Combine red onion, wine vinegar, sumac and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt in a small dish and set aside while you prepare the other ingredients, or ideally at least 15 minutes.
Combine all salad ingredients, including red onions and their pickling liquid, in a medium bowl and season to taste with salt and red pepper. Taste and adjust ingredients as desired — I’ve seen versions of the recipe with more honey, olive oil and lemon; I didn’t need them but you might find you do.

This salad can be prepped ahead, but I’d keep the dressing off of it until at most an hour before serving so it doesn’t discolor the sprouts.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#20 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 14 December 2021 - 02:06 PM

My family skipped the turkey and tried some alternatives the last few years (albeit most of these alternatives were just some other big central meat like a ham or venison) and this year they want to go back to the turkey. I'm baffled, I thought all the alternatives we tried were better, but apparently I'm the only one who agrees. Or maybe lockdowns and COVID have instilled a sense of holiday nostalgia and that is why they want to roll back to the more traditional meal as a psychological counterbalance, I dunno.

The more interesting food tradition for us, tbh, is Christmas Eve. We used to always try these different meal plans for Christmas Eve but invariably every year half the family is delayed getting back home 'cause the traffic in Toronto is worse than they thought, or there's a snowstorm and the highway isn't cleared past North Bay, or a logging truck fell over, etc., (or there isn't any traffic issues at all, they just waited to the last minute to pack, didn't leave on time, and traffic conditions are a convenient excuse :p ) and even when they do eventually show up super late it takes another hour of chitchat before they can sit down for a meal... so over the years our Christmas Eve "meal" has morphed into just having a huge spread of finger foods laid out that everyone can dig into a bit when they arrive and keep gobbling bit by bit as the night goes on in-between glasses of wine.

Mom stubbornly refuses to let anyone help her with the Xmas day meal, but the Eve snacks are an opportunity for me to contribute (and go crazy non-traditional with it). Last Christmas I made sausage rolls and some syrupy greek filo pastries, the time before that I did homemade sushi, both were decent hits but I want to do something new. Anyone got any fun/wacky Christmas evening snack ideas?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users