Malazan Empire: Questions for SE - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Questions for SE

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 23 November 2005 - 08:26 AM

Originally posted by Pat5150 in another thread.

Hi guys!

I just got word from my contact at Transworld, and she will be happy to arrange an interview with Steven Erikson for me!;) Lucky me, I know!

As always, feel free to sumbit the questions you would like me to ask the author. I will select a number of questions from the fans to add to the interview.

Remember that your comments and observations are always appreciated. . .:)

Oh, and by the way, I should be able to announce that The Bonehunter contest tonight! So get ready to register!

Pat
www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#2 User is offline   Tenaka Khan 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 November 2005 - 08:58 AM

Thanks pat, hope you'll enjoy your time with 'da masta' ;)

You could ask him how Reaper's Gale is coming along and whether he thinks if it'll make a 2007 release.

And please ask him if he might have the time to answer some of the stuff in the Q&A. I know he's busy but it'd be awesome all the same to get some news from him directly again:D

#3 User is offline   Valgard 

• Bored Microbiologist (not a good combination)

Posted 23 November 2005 - 11:02 AM

Could you ask him if there is a possibility that a roleplaying game set in the Malazan world will ever be released. As I would love to be able to play in this incredible world.

#4 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 23 November 2005 - 11:06 AM

I dunno if my PMed question will be read...
So, just in case...
I would like to ask Erikson about his newly released novella - "Fishin' for Grandma Matchie". Complimenting him on it firstly, I would love to know why he wrote it. Where the inspiration came from for such a wonderfully bizarre book?
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#5 Guest_Saint Chains_*

Posted 23 November 2005 - 11:50 AM

Hey guys, I'm new member of the Forums, though I've been lurking for a while now.

I'd like to know if S.E plans on coming to Australia at all, namely Brisbane. There are a lot of people, I have noticed, that post of these forums, who are from Brisbane!

Anyway, thanks a lot,

Saint Chains

#6 User is offline   Hume 

• Banned Like a Mushroom
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 23 November 2005 - 12:03 PM

Somehow saint Chains I think that is too much to hope for..

I cant think of any big name authors that have ever toured Australia. Even if they did brisbane would unfortunately ;) be left out bacuse it still is considered a smaller city at the moment.

Its also at the publishers discretion I think as to where authors tour.

#7 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 23 November 2005 - 04:53 PM

Hi guys!

Feel free to submit all your questions. But nothing that will automatically result in a RAFO, as it won't be included in the Q&A. I'll send out the interview questions in about two weeks' time, perhaps a little more. So there is more than enough time for everyone to come up with some questions.

Also, there is a copy of THE BONEHUNTERS up for grabs!;) Check the weblog for more details!

Patrick

Posted 23 November 2005 - 06:00 PM

Is anyone going to ask the "Assail" question?
will the mysterious continent be visited in any of the next four books? ;)

#9 User is offline   vaiski 

• High Fist

Posted 24 November 2005 - 01:21 AM

Weeell I'd like to know whether we have met Fisher Kel Tath already in the series and if not, will we ? ;)

#10 User is offline   Folken 

• Never throw your life away so easily

Posted 24 November 2005 - 03:08 AM

oOoOo nice one Vaiski. ;)
My question is will he ever plan on a book signing tour in Canada?
<div align='center'>You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are - Juan Manuel Fangio</div>

#11 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 25 November 2005 - 11:01 PM

Grenfellen ale in a pewter mug. Taste great, or less filling?

- Abyss,... what?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12 User is offline   MoP 

• Recruit

Posted 27 November 2005 - 12:16 AM

HUME said:

Somehow saint Chains I think that is too much to hope for..

I cant think of any big name authors that have ever toured Australia. Even if they did brisbane would unfortunately :) be left out bacuse it still is considered a smaller city at the moment.

Its also at the publishers discretion I think as to where authors tour.

Robert Jordan, back when he was still relatively good toured here (99 I think)...Robin Hobb also came through just recently and Terry Pratchett has done a couple of things here over the years. I'm sure if the publisher stumped up to fly the author out here a couple hundred dollars extra to get them to Brisbane wouldn't break the bank. Course, you need to justify getting SE out here in the first place...

#13 User is offline   Arkmam 

• Titanium Nipple
  • Interests:Reading, playing board games, taking walks

Posted 27 November 2005 - 11:43 PM

I see no justification at all for SE leaving his house until he dies or runs out of ink. :)
"If you got dragnipur'd, chaos would move closer."
- Ancient Malazan insult

#14 User is offline   Kurt Montandon 

• First Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 November 2005 - 11:41 AM

Well, I guess I'll put my questions here, but I'll also drop them at the blog.

* How old is Fiddler? This might be a Gardens of the Moon inconsistency, but he ages rather dramatically from when in Malaz City with Whiskeyjack - where Paran is a boy, to later books where he's persistently described as being ... older. I believe the jump between first-scene GotM and Deadhouse Gates should only be nine years (ten, by House of Chains). Paran notes that Fiddler seems only a few years older than himself, at Mock's Hold.

* How old are the Old Guard? Can we get firm ages, and a solution to the inconsistencies between Admiral Nok's narrative in House of Chains, and the ages given for Dujek, Duiker, et al., later on? Again, seems to be a matter of Gardens of the Moon issues. As well, Dujek's age is given by a third party (Tattersail), so maybe that's just his _official_ age. And it would be nice to know how old Whiskeyjack and some of the Bridgeburners are/were, just for the sake of completion.

* Actually, I guess just a firm timeline for the Malazan Empire would be nice, aside from a chronology for the world as a whole. I don't really see the point of keeping certain dates from us - i.e., the date of the battle between the Tiste Edur and the K'Chaine Che'malle, when we get so many other time-related details (an exact date for the 33rd Jaghut War, for example).
But I'd be happy with, say a resolution to how old the Empire is, from the Emperor's first conquest of Malaz City on, perhaps.

* Where are all the mages? In Gardens of the Moon, it seems as though each army should have a cadre of High Mages, but by House of Chains, they're a scarcity. Dujek's Host was cut down to Tayschrenn after Tattersail's death, but Tattersail & Calot's earlier conversations implied the presence of more High - and presumably low - Mages. A minor point, but the Malazan Empire seems rather shorthanded in the powerful sorceror department, and I'm curious as to why.

* So, does the Malazan Empire really have a hundred legions? What's their military manpower situation like, and why was the Fourteenth primarily recruits? Whatever happened to those reinforcements sent to Genabackis, especially the legion of Wickan lancers? The Empire seems strangely weak, especially compared to the Roman Empire it's patterned after (the recent events - Aren, Pale, Coral - paralleling, roughly, the single day losses of Rome at Cannae).

* Was Tellan created by the Ritual, as surmised by IIRC Paran, in Memories of Ice? Or did it exist prior?

* Is Kallor really as old as the Imass, or was that an exaggeration in Memories of Ice ("I've walked this world when the T'lan Imass were but children"); which it would seem to be, if humans were created by the Imass.

* Did Karsa's journey really begin in 1159, or is that date incorrect? The Ashok Regiment soldiers talk about the Enfilade at Pale, which is four years later, only a few months after Karsa sets out on his raid. It would seem appropriate for him to have spent a few years in the desert between the end of his initial story and his introduction in Deadhouse Gates, rather than the less than a year that seems to be the case. As well, the issue of his age in Deadhouse Gates should probably be fixed in subsequent reprints (he's eighty+, not seventeen).

* Did K'rull really _create_ the warrens, or did he just make the basic magic available to mortals? It seems as though the Jaghut and the K'Chain Che'malle pre-date the Elder Gods, and they had their warrens to draw upon already. As well, the Letheri sorcerors utilized Holds, rather than Warrens. Perhaps a little illumination is in order there, assuming it's not a plot point to be unveiled later.

* Is the Crippled God from our world? I don't really expect an answer to the Chained God's background from Erikson, but, hell, may as well try.

* Was the infection of the warrens physically limited to Genabackis? It got stronger the closer the allied armies drew, so it would seem that it probably wouldn't be an effect at all in, say, Letheras, Quon Tali, or the Seven Cities.

* Which warren was shattered by the Soletaken Ritual of the First Empire? And how was it repaired? This seems a separate event from the shattering of Kurald Emurlahn, although tied in. So I suspect Kurald Galain was shattered at some point, weaking the Warren of Shadow, leaving it vulnerable. Where Icarium figures in, I'm not sure, and I suspect Erikson won't tell us right now.

* Are some Holds warrens, and some warrens Holds? That is, is the Hold of Ice essentially different from Omtose Phellack? Which warren does the Empty Hold of Letheris represent?

* Can we get a map of the world for someone to scan and stick online? I fail to see how hiding the layout of the known continents furthers the story for the benefit of the reader.

* How long ago was the Bridgeburner's ride through Raraku? Of the surviving Bridgeburners, how many were of the original 80 or so? Picker, Fiddler, Quick Ben, and Kalam are the only we know of for sure. I don't expect Erikson to come up with eighty names ... but that'd be nice, too.

* Can we get an even general outline of the currency of Letheris, i.e, how man docks to a level or levels to a dock, etc.? Not really important, but ...

* Any difference between the various forms of Toblakai we've seen in different parts of the world?

* Is Brys Beddict the ultimate swordsman known to us, thus far? Based purely on skill, that is, not accounting for preserving sorcery such as that which keeps Iron Bars moving when hurt. I would suspect "yes," simply based on his fate. This is kind of fan-boyish wankery, but, well, so is the whole questions mess, right?

* Would Erikson consider an isolated re-write of just the Chain of Dogs storlyine? That is, as a separate work? It gets broken up a bit, in Deadhouse Gates, by the jumping around between stories. Clean it up, add some filler, and it would make a superb standalone novel, or at least novella - perhaps with references to outside events toned down or excised altogether, so as to make the story more accessible to outsiders.

Well, I'm drunk and it's late, so I'll cut this short (no, really, I could go on, and on, and on...).

#15 User is offline   Hume 

• Banned Like a Mushroom
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 28 November 2005 - 12:21 PM

kmmontandon said:

Well, I guess I'll put my questions here, but I'll also drop them at the blog.

* How old is Fiddler? This might be a Gardens of the Moon inconsistency, but he ages rather dramatically from when in Malaz City with Whiskeyjack - where Paran is a boy, to later books where he's persistently described as being ... older. I believe the jump between first-scene GotM and Deadhouse Gates should only be nine years (ten, by House of Chains). Paran notes that Fiddler seems only a few years older than himself, at Mock's Hold.

That is one of the Gotmism, Where as in Which some mistakes were made in Gardens of the Moon by the author which he admitted to. Gardens was written something like 7 years before the next one.

* How old are the Old Guard? Can we get firm ages, and a solution to the inconsistencies between Admiral Nok's narrative in House of Chains, and the ages given for Dujek, Duiker, et al., later on? Again, seems to be a matter of Gardens of the Moon issues. As well, Dujek's age is given by a third party (Tattersail), so maybe that's just his _official_ age. And it would be nice to know how old Whiskeyjack and some of the Bridgeburners are/were, just for the sake of completion.

My guess they are all at least 70+..Read Noks acount of the people who started the empire and read how old the empire is..

* Actually, I guess just a firm timeline for the Malazan Empire would be nice, aside from a chronology for the world as a whole. I don't really see the point of keeping certain dates from us - i.e., the date of the battle between the Tiste Edur and the K'Chaine Che'malle, when we get so many other time-related details (an exact date for the 33rd Jaghut War, for example).
But I'd be happy with, say a resolution to how old the Empire is, from the Emperor's first conquest of Malaz City on, perhaps.

That as far as we can tell is the only mistake made in books after Gardens of the Moon. The dates in the books. The general consensus of the Sites is that stuff happened before stuff is happening now.. Dont get too concerned with the dates
For how old the Empire is I believe it does state correct dates for those at the begining of the first chapters in some of the books I think.

* Where are all the mages? In Gardens of the Moon, it seems as though each army should have a cadre of High Mages, but by House of Chains, they're a scarcity. Dujek's Host was cut down to Tayschrenn after Tattersail's death, but Tattersail & Calot's earlier conversations implied the presence of more High - and presumably low - Mages. A minor point, but the Malazan Empire seems rather shorthanded in the powerful sorceror department, and I'm curious as to why.

Good question actually..
Laseen Made a silly decision which was made note of in the intro of Gardens. That Mages who werent in the sevice of the empire's military were outlawed.
Many mages were killed I think. And so that meant that mages in the borders of the empire were culled somewhat due to the wars they were in and that cull.
Though I still wouldnt mind seeing this question asked. Cause I think its a little unusually low.

* So, does the Malazan Empire really have a hundred legions? What's their military manpower situation like, and why was the Fourteenth primarily recruits? Whatever happened to those reinforcements sent to Genabackis, especially the legion of Wickan lancers? The Empire seems strangely weak, especially compared to the Roman Empire it's patterned after (the recent events - Aren, Pale, Coral - paralleling, roughly, the single day losses of Rome at Cannae).

possibly a Gotism..meaning a mistake stating that number of legions.. Though there isnt a strong case for that being wrong..

* Was Tellan created by the Ritual, as surmised by IIRC Paran, in Memories of Ice? Or did it exist prior?

Yeh it was created by the ritual

* Is Kallor really as old as the Imass, or was that an exaggeration in Memories of Ice ("I've walked this world when the T'lan Imass were but children"); which it would seem to be, if humans were created by the Imass.

kallor had his empire at around the same time as the First human Empire I think. So they T'lan Imass probly werent unead for too long a time at that point. Probly a slight exageration.

* Did Karsa's journey really begin in 1159, or is that date incorrect? The Ashok Regiment soldiers talk about the Enfilade at Pale, which is four years later, only a few months after Karsa sets out on his raid. It would seem appropriate for him to have spent a few years in the desert between the end of his initial story and his introduction in Deadhouse Gates, rather than the less than a year that seems to be the case. As well, the issue of his age in Deadhouse Gates should probably be fixed in subsequent reprints (he's eighty+, not seventeen).

See above, That house of Chains date is incorrect.

* Did K'rull really _create_ the warrens, or did he just make the basic magic available to mortals? It seems as though the Jaghut and the K'Chain Che'malle pre-date the Elder Gods, and they had their warrens to draw upon already. As well, the Letheri sorcerors utilized Holds, rather than Warrens. Perhaps a little illumination is in order there, assuming it's not a plot point to be unveiled later.

A good question, the later part I think. I dont think K'rul created the warrens but somewhere along the way (very early) he made the warrends run through his blood. Whether or not if the Hold sorcery the letheri use magic from K'rul is a good question.

* Is the Crippled God from our world? I don't really expect an answer to the Chained God's background from Erikson, but, hell, may as well try.

He was from another realm. Im pretty sure that was the description. So that could mean an alien warren, universe or just world.

* Was the infection of the warrens physically limited to Genabackis? It got stronger the closer the allied armies drew, so it would seem that it probably wouldn't be an effect at all in, say, Letheras, Quon Tali, or the Seven Cities.

I think you just answered your own question.

* Which warren was shattered by the Soletaken Ritual of the First Empire? And how was it repaired? This seems a separate event from the shattering of Kurald Emurlahn, although tied in. So I suspect Kurald Galain was shattered at some point, weaking the Warren of Shadow, leaving it vulnerable. Where Icarium figures in, I'm not sure, and I suspect Erikson won't tell us right now.

Im fairly certain Scabandari Bloodey was the cause of the shattering of Kuruld emurlhan. What warren the Soletaken ritual destroyed I dont know.

* Are some Holds warrens, and some warrens Holds? That is, is the Hold of Ice essentially different from Omtose Phellack? Which warren does the Empty Hold of Letheris represent?

At Some point Holds became Houses. The relationship between Holds and warrens may be different to the relationship between warrens and Houses.

* Can we get a map of the world for someone to scan and stick online? I fail to see how hiding the layout of the known continents furthers the story for the benefit of the reader.

Dont worry One will arrive in Due time.

* How long ago was the Bridgeburner's ride through Raraku? Of the surviving Bridgeburners, how many were of the original 80 or so? Picker, Fiddler, Quick Ben, and Kalam are the only we know of for sure. I don't expect Erikson to come up with eighty names ... but that'd be nice, too.

* Can we get an even general outline of the currency of Letheris, i.e, how man docks to a level or levels to a dock, etc.? Not really important, but ...

There is actually and appendice or something in the book that explains what a Dock is to Peak.

* Any difference between the various forms of Toblakai we've seen in different parts of the world?

* Is Brys Beddict the ultimate swordsman known to us, thus far? Based purely on skill, that is, not accounting for preserving sorcery such as that which keeps Iron Bars moving when hurt. I would suspect "yes," simply based on his fate. This is kind of fan-boyish wankery, but, well, so is the whole questions mess, right?

* Would Erikson consider an isolated re-write of just the Chain of Dogs storlyine? That is, as a separate work? It gets broken up a bit, in Deadhouse Gates, by the jumping around between stories. Clean it up, add some filler, and it would make a superb standalone novel, or at least novella - perhaps with references to outside events toned down or excised altogether, so as to make the story more accessible to outsiders.

Well, I'm drunk and it's late, so I'll cut this short (no, really, I could go on, and on, and on...).

Some Good questions there I think..
Some could have been answered decently in the forums though.
Though it does Help a LOT to get some answers like these directly from the man himself.

#16 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 03 December 2005 - 12:26 PM

Hi guys!

Just wanted to let you know that the interview questions have been sent to Transworld. . .

So now we wait!

Patrick

#17 Guest_Saint Chains_*

Posted 04 December 2005 - 09:10 AM

Damn, just missed out on my last question. I was going to ask SE if he was an Ascendant or a God of Writing or something similar, for only a being of such power could command such literary magnificence. Ah well, maybe next time...:)

#18 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 09 December 2005 - 07:59 PM

Hey guys!

Transworld just got back to me, saying that SE would prefer that I contact him directly. So I sent him an email, and now we wait for those answers!

I'll let you know as soon as the Q&A is online!

Have a great weekend!

Patrick

P. S. The winner of the TB contest should be announced next week!

#19 User is offline   Arkmam 

• Titanium Nipple
  • Interests:Reading, playing board games, taking walks

Posted 09 December 2005 - 11:29 PM

pat5150 said:

Hey guys!

Transworld just got back to me, saying that SE would prefer that I contact him directly. So I sent him an email, and now we wait for those answers!

I am contemplating killing you to obtain SE's email. :)
"If you got dragnipur'd, chaos would move closer."
- Ancient Malazan insult

#20 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 10 December 2005 - 11:45 PM

You know I'm sworn to secrecy. . .;-)

Patrick

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic