Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shadow conspiracy

#1 User is offline   Anaster 

• Child of the Dead Seed
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 October 2005 - 03:47 PM

Today I was reading a part in HoC of Lostara Yil and her time as shadow dancer in the Rashan cult. After her reminiscing, The rope steps in the room and (what a coincidence) mentions the killing of the rashan cult she was in.

Now I have a few suspicions concerning this killing of the Rashan cultists.

Rashan was, other than the other cults in Ehrlitan, accepted by the Malazans as a cult. This is contrary to the other seven cities cults, as they were wiped out the day the malazans invaded Ehrlitan. Why then, was this cult wiped out by Quick Ben and (what I suspect to be) Kalam?

The plot thickens when the rope tells he was there as well, when the inhabitants of the temple, excepting Lostara and Bidithal, were slaughtered.

I think both Kellanved and Dancer were already planning to take the throne of Meanas. To secure their place there, they had to wipe out what resistance might have come from worshippers of other shadow deities, hence the eliminating of an accepted cult.
This would also explain why cotillion is still irritated about the fact that their leader, Bidithal, got away. As he may still prove to become a thorn in their side, because he now backs up the whirlwind godess, who is trying to usurp other fragments of the shadow warren.

Does this sound plausible?

#2 User is offline   vaiski 

• High Fist

Posted 23 October 2005 - 03:53 PM

I've always thought that it was QB and Dancer.. got that impression from initial read, havent given it much thought since..

#3 User is offline   Anaster 

• Child of the Dead Seed

Posted 23 October 2005 - 03:57 PM

No...cotillion says there was three of them.

That made me think maybe it was kellanved, delat and dancer. But kellanved was emperor at the time, so it probably wasn't him.

#4 User is offline   Anaster 

• Child of the Dead Seed

Posted 26 October 2005 - 03:29 PM

Anyone else want to comment?

#5 User is offline   kaf09 

• Sergeant

Posted 26 October 2005 - 06:23 PM

I'll bite.....I think from the context it certainly was Quick Ben, Dancer (silently), and Kalam. Kalam's presence is an assumption of course, however, Quick Ben was certainly accompanied by an assassin and who else fits the bill? Why Quick Ben allowed Bidithal to escape is beyond me. Perhaps he and Kalam(?) were simply careless, but from that point Quick Ben was persona non grata wrt Kellanved, whose scheme the whole thing was. I agree that this was somehow associated with Kellanved's apotheosis.

#6 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 26 October 2005 - 06:38 PM

I'd always thought from reading that passage that it was dancer and delat who cleaned out the temple, as I recall the passage said it was qb and an assain eliminated the shadow cult... i ssumed the assasin was dancer though it's a bti odd for QB to work with him and not kalam.

If your sure there were three than logically the third person must be kalam.

#7 User is offline   Anaster 

• Child of the Dead Seed

Posted 26 October 2005 - 07:36 PM

Cotillion says there were three. When lostara mentioned delat and a second "in the shadows" I also immediately thought of Kalam as both QB and Kalam are already bridgeburners at that moment (and one is never mentioned without the other). Later on, Uncle Cotillion surprises Lostara by telling he was the third in there: truly a master of stealth, wouldn't you say?

Just a thought....if the talons still existed at that time (with dancer still alive) wouldn't Kalam be a Talon then?

But still the main thought is that Kellanved was obviously planning something here....

#8 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 26 October 2005 - 08:00 PM

Well from the beginning it was Kallenved Dancer and dassem who was around b4 they even got into deadhouse. therefore it makes sense to plot to take over not one world but many,I've always seen the empire as a stepping stone for kallenved to the other seats and games of power like the Tlna throne, the throne of shadow and more an access to the elder KG. the whole cult etermination thing was in my point of view the emperors intention, tayschrens cult was another access to the power needed to make an empire boarding warrens.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#9 User is offline   Tes'thesula 

• High House My House

Posted 11 November 2005 - 10:18 AM

dassem wasn't with them before the deadhouse or at least wasn't their first companion...according to Nok anyway (the admiral)....but its besides the point...i agree that the elimination of the cult of Rashan was probably to secure support for an eemrging cult of meanas, or at least shadow. Kellanved seems like the kind of guy who plays thousands of moves ahead

...really wouldn't like to play him at chess

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users