• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Robert Silverberg

#1 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 19 September 2021 - 01:25 AM

Anyone ever read him? It’s older stuff. I only read one book, Lord Valentine’s Castle, but I read it several times when younger. I didn’t know there are several other books set in the same world. I enjoyed it back then quite a bit. I’ve gotten back into reading a lot after a long hiatus and think I will reread this and then the rest of the Majipoor books that come after. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen him discussed here, apologies if there is already a thread.
Error: Signature not valid

#2 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 September 2021 - 02:57 AM

No ded-threads, but it gets 1.5 pages of results if you do a search on "Robert Silverberg" in this subforum.

I read some of his stuff back in the day, but it was so long ago I pretty much can't recall anything aside from not being overly fussed on his writing style.
My tastes may have changed since then but frankly there's waaaaaay too much other stuff in the TRP to consider another shot for a long time, if ever.

Still, keep us posted on how it goes for you.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 19 September 2021 - 02:58 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#3 User is offline   Zeto Demerzel 

• Sergeant

Posted 20 September 2021 - 08:20 AM

This is neither here nor there but I've read a couple of collaborative forays by Asimov and Silverberg - Nighfall and The Ugly Little Boy - and, in each case, thought the expanded piece was superfluous and a big step down from the original. Big fan of the original Nightfall short, not so much the latter.

#4 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 20 September 2021 - 04:01 PM

I actually got rather into him a few years back, when I fell in love with his LORD OF DARKNESS, a quasi-historical fiction novel about (let's how much of this I remember) an Englishman who turns pirate and ends up imprisoned in Africa for some time, eventually falling in with a native cannibal tribe. I found it incredibly thoughtful and occasionally uncomfortable. (Sex and violence abound.)

The other two standouts I can think of (having never read any of his Majipoor books) are his retelling of Gilgamesh, titled GILGAMESH THE KING. And his highly atmospheric sci-fi take on "Heart of Darkness", called DOWNWARD TO THE EARTH.

I did read his NIGHTFALL collab almost 20 years ago, and was rather unimpressed.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users