• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help me build a PC?

#1 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 February 2021 - 03:12 PM

So, I'm pretty good at putting stuff together, but I have no idea where to even start when it comes to choosing the components I need for a decent PC. From the little research I've done online so far, I've found that I need to purchase the following in addition to the case:

Central processing unit (CPU)
Motherboard
Memory (RAM)
Graphics processing unit (GPU)
Storage
Power supply unit (PSU)
System cooling
System cooling
Gaming peripherals
Operating system(OS)

...I've started looking at different components online, and honestly, I have no idea what's good and what's bad. I'd like to be able to play games, but I don't need top of the line gaming PC stuff, just, you know, decent. I have a budget of about 1.5K, so I feel like I should really be able to put something decent together.

So, I know yall helped someone with this a couple years back, so can yall help me with it now? What should I be looking for? Why?
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#2 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 February 2021 - 03:29 PM

Just a quick post, don’t have time for much more right now

Case: portability, vs airflow, vs hdd storage. Do you download a lot of media like movies. Do you want it to be a media center too?

Central processing unit (CPU)
Motherboard
Memory (RAM)
Graphics processing unit (GPU)
Storage: this ties back to the case point a little. At the minimum you probably want a 256 gb solid state hdd for best gaming performance. It’s expensive. Transfer the game your currently playing to this drive and have a regular 2 TB drive for storage as well. If your looking for a ton of storage that changes things. If you think 500 fb would be all you will ever need. Just splurge and get 500gb add
Power supply unit (PSU): go modular, go 800 watts, you will never think about this again
System cooling: not needed for your purposes. The case will come with basic fans and if we not over clocking don’t need anything fancy
Gaming peripherals: get an Xbox one game controller and your set
Operating system(OS): 3 choices. Windows, Mac OS and Linux. Based on your wants I’d recommend just going with windows for a gaming pc.

#3 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 02 February 2021 - 03:34 PM

Regarding the cooling system, nobody does the old fan or liquid cooling systems anymore, too noisy and can't keep up with the sheer heat of top of the line components that are made these days. What you really want these days is a solid-water cooling system, and I think it's worth budgeting the extra $100 or so to get a more recent case that has built-in support for it. In fact, HP just announced they are releasing a new case next week that has a full-size solid-water cooling system where the tray actually slides out and you can use it to get ice cubes for your drinks.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 02 February 2021 - 06:18 PM

View PostD, on 02 February 2021 - 03:34 PM, said:

Regarding the cooling system, nobody does the old fan or liquid cooling systems anymore, too noisy and can't keep up with the sheer heat of top of the line components that are made these days. What you really want these days is a solid-water cooling system, and I think it's worth budgeting the extra $100 or so to get a more recent case that has built-in support for it. In fact, HP just announced they are releasing a new case next week that has a full-size solid-water cooling system where the tray actually slides out and you can use it to get ice cubes for your drinks.

Hold out for the slushie machine upgrade.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 02 February 2021 - 06:37 PM

View PostD, on 02 February 2021 - 03:34 PM, said:

I somehow find water Inside my computer unnerving.

The arguments I was finding while deciding what to look for when buying a PC last year, suggests that good air coolers now a days are in fact more than fine, sometimes better than liquid cooling if you're not running some kind of overclocked processing monster.

Graphics cards come with inbuilt fans and a big, quality fan on your CPU is good enough for most builders needs.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 02 February 2021 - 06:39 PM

#6 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 02 February 2021 - 07:35 PM

My buddy came by yesterday and we figured out everything I'll be purchasing. He suggested that I don't really need a fan beyond the one that comes with the CPU.

Mostly my computer is a media centre, like Cause mentioned above - it's hooked up to my TV, I download movies/tv shows/music and can fling them over to my TV when I want to watch something that I can't find on Netflix or Amazon.

I do play some games, WoW, Civilization, stuff like that, but not enough to warrant spending too much on a graphics card. Plus, apparently all graphics cards are currently out of stock everywhere. Anyway, for now I'm just gonna move the graphics card from my current computer over to the new one and replace it later when I NEED something better.

Thanks for those who offered to help! :)
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#7 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 February 2021 - 01:20 AM

What case and psi you getting, I need both myself

#8 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 03 February 2021 - 04:54 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by psi, but thinking you might mean cpu? I'm getting a AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Prism LED Cooler. Or maybe PSU? I'm getting a Cougar Power Supply GX-S 750W - 100 to 240 Vac - Active PFC - Semi Modular - 140mm Fan... The case is something cheap cause my computer sits under my desk so it doesn't need to be all fancy.

This post has been edited by Blend: 03 February 2021 - 04:56 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users