Malazan Empire: Forge of the High Mage News - Malazan Empire

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »

Forge of the High Mage News Previously known as The Jhistal

#1 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 November 2020 - 01:54 AM

Shouldn't the "Jhistal" have its own forum.
I was really really looking forward to reading it this year. A bit of escape from the misery of 2020 ;-(

#2 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 26 November 2020 - 04:17 PM

It is done

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#3 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 26 November 2020 - 05:48 PM

View PostD, on 26 November 2020 - 04:17 PM, said:

It is done

Thanks oh great worm of Autumn.

#4 User is offline   Yawron 

• Recruit

Posted 30 December 2020 - 05:49 PM

Do anyone know approximately when this one is published?

#5 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 30 December 2020 - 06:28 PM

View PostYawron, on 30 December 2020 - 05:49 PM, said:

Do anyone know approximately when this one is published?

completely disappeared of all the amazon sites.
Maybe some site member in the publishing business or with email access to ICE can find out what the release plan is?

#6 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 January 2021 - 11:01 AM

Can someone remind me what the Jhistal is/are? Sounds so familiar but I haven't picked up a Malazan book in years so it's all starting to fade away (once I've forgotten everything it'll be great to reread the series :p ).

Wait, synapses firing, connections being made...is it to do with...whatshisname. Oh dammit. Becomes emperor. 'this rain will make the seas rise, yes?' Mallick Rel! Or not?
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 04 January 2021 - 12:21 PM

Yes. Mallick Rel. I don't remember the synopsis but one assumes the book will center around the early empires war/eradication of the Jhistal cult/people.

Or maybe it'll be about a bounty hunter on the open seas.

#8 User is offline   Findarato 

• Lieutenant
  • Interests:wildlife, nature, reading, hiking, keeping mantids

Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:11 PM

Is this a new book by Esslemont? I cannot find it anywhere, not even on the author's website. Or is it yet to be released?

#9 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 20 February 2021 - 04:42 AM

Yet to be released. Last I heard they were aiming for late 2021.

#10 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 20 February 2021 - 02:43 PM

Mallick deserves a bit of TLC. Such a misunderstood guy. Surely you don't still have sore feelings about Coltaine? Water on the bridge, people. We all made mistakes.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#11 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 20 February 2021 - 02:51 PM

I don't so much care about the chain of dogs. That was a war of liberation by an army of religious fanatics. But the road of crucifictions is a crime that can't be washed away.

#12 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 28 June 2021 - 11:18 PM

Rumour on Reddit that THE JHISTAL has been cancelled by the publisher. I asked the publisher and they did not confirm that, merely saying it was the November 2020 date was "cancelled" and they have not yet assigned a new date for the book (so the people saying the book will be out in November 2021 are, so far, incorrect).

Cancelling THE JHISTAL would be very strange as the first three books were published under one contract and a new contract had to be signed for THE JHISTAL. So paying out the advance and then not recouping it through book sales would be expensive for the publisher (there's no way they'd get the advance back). We've also heard a few times that the PATH TO ASCENDANCY series has sold very well and appears to have been a step up in ICE's sales and profile after the original MALAZAN EMPIRE series. Publishing nine books in a row (all with hardcover editions) with rising sales and then cancelling the series would be bizarre behaviour, to say the least.

However, it does look like the same may not be true of the US market, where it appears that both SE and ICE's sales are down and KELLANVED'S REACH has not even been released in paperback yet. Interesting to see what happens there.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#13 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 29 June 2021 - 05:36 AM

Thanks Wert. That's very strange news. Let's hope that it's only due to a delay.

Also that Kellanved's Reach didn't get released as paperback is baffling

#14 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 29 June 2021 - 12:05 PM

View PostColtaine -, on 29 June 2021 - 05:36 AM, said:

Thanks Wert. That's very strange news. Let's hope that it's only due to a delay.

Also that Kellanved's Reach didn't get released as paperback is baffling

In the US, it should be specified. The book is available in the UK in paperback.

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#15 User is offline   ArchieVist 

• Captain

Posted 29 June 2021 - 09:36 PM

Tor doesn't do themselves any favors with the US editions being publishing months after the books come out in the UK. Maybe it's a just drop in the bucket, but they're losing the North American uberfans to Book Depository and the like.

#16 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 30 June 2021 - 04:31 AM

View PostArchieVist, on 29 June 2021 - 09:36 PM, said:

Tor doesn't do themselves any favors with the US editions being publishing months after the books come out in the UK. Maybe it's a just drop in the bucket, but they're losing the North American uberfans to Book Depository and the like.

'Again'.

This used to be a thing. They stopped around BONEHUNTERS and now we're back to it.
Canada, just to complicate things, sometimes follows the US timing, sometimes the UK. For TGINW we're getting the ebook and earbook at UK timing and the dead tree versions with the US.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#17 User is offline   ArchieVist 

• Captain

Posted 30 June 2021 - 04:52 PM

About five minutes into this April 2021 Critical Dragon interview ICE says he's still writing the book and plans to have it completed and turned over to the publisher this summer. So I agree it's just the initial publishing date that has been cancelled and a new date will be announced in the future.

This post has been edited by ArchieVist: 30 June 2021 - 04:52 PM

#18 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 01 July 2021 - 07:40 PM

View PostArchieVist, on 30 June 2021 - 04:52 PM, said:

About five minutes into this April 2021 Critical Dragon interview ICE says he's still writing the book and plans to have it completed and turned over to the publisher this summer. So I agree it's just the initial publishing date that has been cancelled and a new date will be announced in the future.

Good to know ^^

This post has been edited by Coltaine -: 01 July 2021 - 07:40 PM

#19 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 September 2021 - 05:33 PM

This is a relief. The Edelweiss Catalogue confirms that ICE is contracted for three more PATH TO ASCENDANCY books.

THE JHISTAL's outline is as follows:

Book 4: The Jhistal

This volume develops and details the Malazan expansion into the Falari Peninsula region. Kellanved and Dancer, impatient with the slow and methodical consolidation of the continent of Quon Tali, are up to no good and embroil the Malazan forces in an uprising against the ruling Theocracy of Falar.

These priests have maintained power over all the many islands through the threat of their terror-weapon: the dread 'Jhistal'...

Here readers will discover just what this weapon is, meet a younger Mallick Rel and find out just how the Malazans took the region into their grip.

#20 User is offline   Jussi 

• Sergeant

Posted 12 March 2022 - 10:39 PM

It looks like The Jhistal has a new title: Forge of the High Mage:

Posted Image

This is a screenshot from the Edelweiss catalog. New release date is April 2023.

This post has been edited by Jussi: 12 March 2022 - 10:41 PM

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users