Malazan Empire: Series Reread by doing the Path to Ascendency First is really nice. - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Series Reread by doing the Path to Ascendency First is really nice.

#1 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 October 2020 - 05:04 PM

Hey All
Its been almost 10 years since my last full reread so I decided to start it off by doing the ICE Books first. And you know what, reading the Path to Ascendency books first and then going into NOK and then going into GoTM is really nice. If I knew any new readers it might be something I would really recommend.
Im finding the ICE books are a very nice way to start that doesnt overwhelm the reader. They explain warrens and the world but lay it out in a gradual fashion. There is only one continent to worry about at the start as well and the number of major players is limited. Most importantly their is less of the massive infodump of stuff that the reader has to figure out is what in GoTM.

I know people have their complaints about ICE's writing (and I'm not looking forward to the reread of RoTCG as I think that one is bad) but I have to say, I'm imagining an intro to a new reader for the Malazan world and now I would probably not recommend GOTM and say to just try out the ICE ones first. Then if they dont like that, to jump to GOTM then.

This post has been edited by blackzoid: 09 October 2020 - 05:24 PM

#2 User is offline   Keysi 

• Captain

Posted 24 November 2020 - 02:10 PM

I often wonder about reading it in that order, seems like a good way to go.

Was literally just thinking, before coming online, that there are quite a few ways of going about a read/ Re read that would make sense. I doubt many series can pill that off.

On a related note, I've heard rumours but never saw any proof, that some people have reading the MBotF starting with Midnight Tides. Would be interesting to get someone's opinion who did it that way.

#3 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 24 November 2020 - 03:43 PM

How would you do it from MT? Do you ignore the preceeding books or at what point would you jump back? Not sure how that works.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#4 User is offline   Keysi 

• Captain

Posted 25 November 2020 - 12:13 AM

I'm not entirely sure myself, that's why I want to find someone who has. It's been talked about in a couple of places on this site. Probably the newcomers area, I'm not sure.

I'd imagine they'd start with Midnight Tides then got to gardens of the moon?

#5 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 25 November 2020 - 05:34 PM

I would not start at all with MT first, nor would I recommend it. I think some people latch onto it as a possible starting on point because it is set in the past on another continent. But then the problem is, what is book 2 in that order? Is it GOTM in which case the reader has to wait 5 books to get back to the non-Trull characters in MT. Or RG, which makes the order just crazy.

This post has been edited by blackzoid: 25 November 2020 - 05:36 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users