• You cannot reply to this topic

Summer of Gaming 2020 Various E3 substitute...things

#1 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 01 June 2020 - 06:00 PM

So, with E3 not being a thing, every single news outlet of note doing their own "showcase" (IGN, GameSpot, The Escapist, GamesRadar, Geoff Keighley and the TGA crew, etc), and Sony hyping the crap out of their upcoming next-gen stuff, I figured it's time to make a separate thread, since we're getting a PS5 blowout on Thur, followed by a whole bunch of smaller events over the weekend and beyond.

To kick things off, what do you think Sony could be packing? They've got an hour-long show supposedly focused on next-gen games and they're hyping it up to high heaven.

Presuming they go E3 2016 level-hard (the E3 that gave us FF7R, Shenmue 3, and Kingdom Hearts 3 announcements), what kind of bombs do you expect them to drop this time?

I'm gonna assume we see an average of 4 mins per game, and throw out some ideas; feel free to join in.

1) Ok, so as a total no-brainer, Horizon Zero Dawn sequel. Game was a smash hit, a 2017 release and of all of Sony's 1st party studios, Guerilla's the one that released the game the longest ago.
2) Sony Japan Studio is (heavily) rumoured to be working on a Silent Hill reboot.
3) BluePoint is (equally heavily) rumoured to be working on a remake of Damon's Souls. Given their project was announced alongside the PS5, it being here would be a no-brainer
4) Godfall. It's the first game that name-dropped PS5, even before Sony showed off the logo.
-conversely, I don't think Quantum Error (a horror shooter from the Kings of Lorn devs, that's also coming to PS5) will be shown off here. It just feels too... small-time
5) Insomniac are a multiple teams dev, so it's not impossible they'll have another title ready close to launch window. Spider-Man 2 being teased would make sense.
6) Squeeenix is always present at Sony events. Will there be a new Final Fantasy? Or something new and crazy? (Or will they show off Babylon's Fall, finally?). Maybe Outriders? Not sure who's got the marketing rights for that. Avengers has its own stream on the 24th, so I wouldn't expect it to be a major presence.
7) Atlus is the most Japanese-ass Japanese dev the PlayStation has that pumps out exclusives. That being said, they don't seem to be the kind to be on the cutting edge of tech, so who knows?
8)COD feels kinda like a given.
9) should FIFA get its own spotlight? Both this and COD feel like essential casual marketing.
10) Ubi is likely to show off something, maybe. Watch Dogs legion feels pretty obvious as a "next-gen" processing power showcase (kinda being a generational leap the way Shadow of Mordor's Nemesis system was for this gen); but I wouldn't be too surprised, if Ubi show off their most ambitious game yet instead--that being, obviously BG&E2
10)I'm gonna put "WB" here just because they have to show something eventually. "Most Hype" would probably be a Harry Potter AAA game; but I'm personally hoping for Batman annd/or Monolith
11) I don't for one second believe this is gonna happen, but Starfield premiere would be insane
12) slightly less unrealistic, I can see 2K teasing BioShock Next
13)Some long announced Sony-sponsored project going next-gen only- be it WILD, Lost Soul Aside, or smth else
14) if Cygames got their shit together, Project Awakening could be another "next gen showcase"
15)New IP? Could be a new Naughty Dog IP, or something crazy from a different team within Japan Studio (apparently they've been poaching a lot of people from Konami)

These are my crazy ideas anyone else?

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 10 June 2020 - 03:24 PM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 June 2020 - 06:29 PM

I'm so disillusioned by this weird year that I don't know what to expect. Supposedly, Sony's stated they're not showing everything and ResetEra users have suggested tempered expectations, so I'd expect something like Microsoft's event last month with some first party thrown into the mix.

I've heard about the Horizon 2 rumors (They better not call it Horizon:Zero Dawn 2) but I wonder if 3 years is enough for an open world game like that to be ready for launch? I guess the technology is already developed and they can reuse a lot of the assets.

#3 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 01 June 2020 - 07:42 PM

View PostAptorian, on 01 June 2020 - 06:29 PM, said:

I'm so disillusioned by this weird year that I don't know what to expect. Supposedly, Sony's stated they're not showing everything and ResetEra users have suggested tempered expectations, so I'd expect something like Microsoft's event last month with some first party thrown into the mix.

I've heard about the Horizon 2 rumors (They better not call it Horizon:Zero Dawn 2) but I wonder if 3 years is enough for an open world game like that to be ready for launch? I guess the technology is already developed and they can reuse a lot of the assets.

Sony's got another event in Aug, supposedly, but I'd expect them to put their heavy hitters forward, since they're trying to show what's new in "next-gen"

Plus they're doing TV ads and hyping the he'll out of this, so ionno whether this warrants particularly tempered expectations.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 01 June 2020 - 07:43 PM

#4 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 June 2020 - 10:42 PM

I'm in the position of just hoping to be surprised by any announcements that will catch everyone completely off guard. I think with new consoles though we'll get a lot of unsexy details about each one's capabilities.

Dying Light 2 would be nice to hear something new about. I believe it was delayed? I want to see a deeper drilldown into the world changing based on early decisions you make, without spoiling anything of course.

Has any one ever mentioned if God of War, one of the best games on PS4 exclusive, and whether it will be getting a follow up?

Bloodbourne? For such an important release at the beginning of the current console generation, I would have thought something about a follow up would be in the works.

GTA VI? I think it might be time to start the very nascent ponderings of what that may be shaping up to be? I thought I read something about Vice City setting (Miami) with the ability to fly to South America doing drug runs and up to Liberty City (NYC).

Next Elder Scrolls title (man, how many years now since Skyrim have passed?). I heard the next is far far away.

One thing I know is confirmed is a Krieg DLC coming for Borderlands 3, which is soooo up my alley. Supposed to be getting inside the mind of Krieg and how he came to the split in his conscious thoughts.... how he cracked and went nuttier then a chipmunk turd. That's the rumor anyway. Shit will be cray-cray if it holds true.

#5 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 01 June 2020 - 11:42 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 01 June 2020 - 10:42 PM, said:

I'm in the position of just hoping to be surprised by any announcements that will catch everyone completely off guard. I think with new consoles though we'll get a lot of unsexy details about each one's capabilities.

Dying Light 2 would be nice to hear something new about. I believe it was delayed? I want to see a deeper drilldown into the world changing based on early decisions you make, without spoiling anything of course.

Has any one ever mentioned if God of War, one of the best games on PS4 exclusive, and whether it will be getting a follow up?

Bloodbourne? For such an important release at the beginning of the current console generation, I would have thought something about a follow up would be in the works.

GTA VI? I think it might be time to start the very nascent ponderings of what that may be shaping up to be? I thought I read something about Vice City setting (Miami) with the ability to fly to South America doing drug runs and up to Liberty City (NYC).

Next Elder Scrolls title (man, how many years now since Skyrim have passed?). I heard the next is far far away.

One thing I know is confirmed is a Krieg DLC coming for Borderlands 3, which is soooo up my alley. Supposed to be getting inside the mind of Krieg and how he came to the split in his conscious thoughts.... how he cracked and went nuttier then a chipmunk turd. That's the rumor anyway. Shit will be cray-cray if it holds true.

Dying Light 2 delayed "indefinitely" . Might hear smth from Squeeenix, since they're a distribution partner.

God of War sequel's being discussed as a done deal by practically everyone; the question is whether Barlog will be director again;

Bloodborne 2 is not in the works; From is all hands on deck for Elden Ring; maybe Japan studio will do smth, but we shouldn't expect any FromSoft exclusives anytime soon

GTA 6 is "in the works". Given how Rockstar operates I'd say we're a few years away at least 2K financials indicate they're planning a big marketing expenditure in FY 2023

TES 6.... Yeah, I'd say 4-5 years from now rofl.

#6 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 02 June 2020 - 12:44 AM

Something is coming next week for Destiny 2. New season details and/or expansion coming in September?

Posted Image

At one time I think there may have been talk about Destiny 3. I read, however, that has been put on ice and Bungie is going to stay with the way they roll out new content with D2 for the foreseeable future.

#7 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:36 PM

Random thought, but since Bethesda finally pulled off their evil plan and acquired the nearly-bankrupt Human Head studios, I want the space bounty hunter Prey 2 that we were promised.

#8 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 08 June 2020 - 05:22 PM

Sony's thing is now on the 11th. 4PM EST/9PM GMT

Some ke-raaazy rumours floating around now.

PC Gaming Show has been moved to the 13th. Will feature Sega and Atlus.

Here's hoping for another Best of Japan mega-blowout.

#9 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 08 June 2020 - 05:49 PM

Bungies Destiny reveal is still planned for tomorrow I believe.

Do you know if Devolver is doing some show now that they technically can't mock E3. I want the continuation of crazy CEO ladies story.

#10 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 08 June 2020 - 06:49 PM

View PostAptorian, on 08 June 2020 - 05:49 PM, said:

Bungies Destiny reveal is still planned for tomorrow I believe.

Do you know if Devolver is doing some show now that they technically can't mock E3. I want the continuation of crazy CEO ladies story.

We do need the return of Robo-Struthers.

Not sure if there's gonna be the next installment of the Devolver Cinematic Universe though. Someone with access to the twittergrams should ask them.

#11 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 09 June 2020 - 02:45 PM

Tomorrow the re-scheduled IGN Expo kicks off just before 2 PM Pacific (so 5 PM EST)

Exclusive Reveals, Trailers, Gameplay Demos, Developer Interviews, Hands-On Impressions

Reveals:
Unannounced Classic Revival (Merge Games) - Exclusive Game Reveal
Unannounced Game (Fabraz) – Exclusive Game Reveal
Unannounced Game (Funcom / The Outsiders) - Exclusive Unannounced Gameplay Reveal with The Outsiders' David Goldfarb
Unannounced Games (Arcade1Up) - Exclusive Arcade and Pinball Machine Reveals and Interview

Trailers:
Beyond Blue (E-Line Media) - Exclusive Trailer Reveal
Chivalry 2 (Torn Banner Studios and Tripwire Presents) – Exclusive Announcement and Trailer Reveal
Dual Universe (Novaquark) - Exclusive Trailer Reveal
Pathfinder: Kingmaker (Deep Silver) - Exclusive Trailer Reveal
Voidtrain (Nearga) - Exclusive Trailer Reveal
Wasteland 3 (Deep Silver) - World Exclusive Trailer
Werewolf: The Apocalypse (Nacon) – Earthblood Exclusive Cinematic Trailer

Gameplay:
GTFO (10 Chambers Collective) - Exclusive Gameplay
Mortal Shell (Cold Symmetry) - Exclusive Gameplay World Premiere
Observer: System Redux (Bloober Team) - Exclusive Next-Gen Deep Dive
Second Extinction (Systemic Reaction) - Exclusive Gameplay World Premiere
Yakuza: Like a Dragon (SEGA) - Exclusive Gameplay and Interview

Previews:
Borderlands 3 (Gearbox) - Exclusive “Bounty of Blood” DLC Preview w/ Gearbox Creative Director Matt Cox
The Waylanders (Gato Studio) - Exclusive Trailer and Launch Date Announcement, and Hands-On Impressions

Check Out This Game! With Tom Marks:
Rustler (Grand Theft Horse), Jutsu Games, Games Operators - Exclusive Gameplay
The Riftbreaker, EXOR Studios - Exclusive Gameplay
Bravery Network Online, Gloam - Exclusive Gameplay

Special Icons Interview:
David Hayter, the original voice of Solid Snake, discusses Metal Gear.

Wanna see that Werewolf Earthblood trailer!!! Kazooie will probably enjoy extra Borderlands gameplay.

-Mortal Shell is that new cool-looking souls-like- the one where you unlock different classes by finding "shells" of dead warriors in the world, so that you can switch your classes by swapping these "shells". The initia trailer looked nice, so I'm interested;
-Waylanders is that CRPG by ex-Bioware devs that's all about Celtic mythos and controlling 2 sets of characters in the same place but in 2 different time periods. The idea is interesting, so it'd be cool to see more of that;
-Rustler looks like GTA 2 but Middle-Ages. I adore GTA2, so sure
-Rifbreaker is tower defence meet Diablo with a very Blizzardy aesthetic. Eurogamer just did a preview on it. it looks nice, but I'm not crazy about tower defence games, so it's pretty low on my priority list.
-Beyond Blue is a really chill sea-exploration/scienc-y game that's launching this week. It looks really neat, so it's good IGN's putting some spotlight on it. It was sponsored by BBC, I think, but it's got next to no marketing buzz

#12 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 09 June 2020 - 05:11 PM

So Bungie event - Destiny 2 today. New season, Season of Arrivals. Which I'm guessing will be the logical continuity from last season and its ending live event. And in September, as anticipated, a new expansion - Beyond Light. Seems like it is going to play coy with the broader concepts of fighting back the dark... yadda yadda yadda, and instead things will be turned on their head it seems. Also, it looks like more time fuckery, a la CoO/Mercury. That was my initial take on it, will have to see come Sept.

Oh snap! The feelz when they had that segment from og Destiny. I legit got goose-flesh / and tear'd up a bit.

2021 - The Witch Queen. Damn, witches in Destiny are no joke

2022 - Light Fall. Uhhhh, that sounds like an end series moment to me. Ominous as fuck!

Please let previous pay content (seasons / Shadowkeep) be offered free when Beyond Light drops *fingerscrossed

I think I've 'arrived' at a crossroads <<<< see what I did there? Posted Image
Do I continue playing Destiny 2 or mothball it for an extended period of time?

#13 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 09 June 2020 - 08:37 PM

Previously Vita-exclusive Persona 4 Golden has a SteamDB entry. Supposed to be announced and released on Saturday during the PC Gaming Show.

looks like Sega finally cracked the whip on Atlus.

#14 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 09 June 2020 - 11:45 PM

Don't know if it was meant to be leaked in conjunction with the Destiny 2 road map presentation, but Bungie is supposed to have job openings for a game that sounds like a "Diablo-esque" dungeon crawler. Grain of salt with this rumor, in fact grab the whole salt shaker.

#15 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 10 June 2020 - 12:40 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 09 June 2020 - 11:45 PM, said:

Don't know if it was meant to be leaked in conjunction with the Destiny 2 road map presentation, but Bungie is supposed to have job openings for a game that sounds like a "Diablo-esque" dungeon crawler. Grain of salt with this rumor, in fact grab the whole salt shaker.

That'd be that new "matter" trademark they filed when they got that cash injection from NetEase (or was it TenCent? One of the Chinese gaming giants) after they split with Activision, right?

#16 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 10 June 2020 - 01:20 AM

View PostMentalist, on 10 June 2020 - 12:40 AM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 09 June 2020 - 11:45 PM, said:

That'd be that new "matter" trademark they filed when they got that cash injection from NetEase (or was it TenCent? One of the Chinese gaming giants) after they split with Activision, right?

I didn't get into the nitty-gritty of it, as it was marked as a rumor and was gleaned from a job opening the company has posted to work on the project.

#17 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 10 June 2020 - 02:41 PM

While checking out D2 new season, I got a PS4 event notice to add the Sony event to my reminders. In looking at the details of the event, the duration is two hours. Not sure if they will use the full two hours, but if they do, that presumably will be a lot of content (games? and PS5 info?) covered.

#18 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 10 June 2020 - 03:20 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 10 June 2020 - 02:41 PM, said:

While checking out D2 new season, I got a PS4 event notice to add the Sony event to my reminders. In looking at the details of the event, the duration is two hours. Not sure if they will use the full two hours, but if they do, that presumably will be a lot of content (games? and PS5 info?) covered.

They said "just over an hour" in the press release.

I'm expecting up to 15 games.

The Escapist's indie expo is gonna be running for 2 hours, starting an hour earlier. I kinda wanted to watch that fully, but might need to take a break.

Horizon is now featured as a promotion with AMD's Ryzen CPUs from June 10-30th; it's possible Sony'll announce the release date for the Steam release tomorrow, since presumably it's happening this month.

#19 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 10 June 2020 - 08:49 PM

-Earthblood trailer looks... stylistic? EGS exclusive on PC

-Alex Kidd is getting a remake, because Sega is farming out more retro stuff

-Waylanders is channeling DA:O HARD. It's pretty awesome-looking.

The people who were making that Darkborn game are now making a... rhythmic first-person shooter, featuring a bunch of metal artists and you are a demon, shooting other demons in the face. And it's called Metal Hellsinger

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 10 June 2020 - 08:49 PM

#20 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 10 June 2020 - 10:54 PM

Info dumps on Second Extinction, Metal Hellsinger, Yakuza 7. Y7 looks neat; hopefully sega announces more ports of earlier games (we're up to 2 so far) on Sat.

Observer Redux is doing 4K and ray-tracing. But I'm watching on a 240p stream on my crazy laptop, so the pretties are lost on me.

Also, Borderlands 3 DLC has a cowboy planet where you do bounty hunts.

Okay, Mortal Shell looks cool. Want, nao.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 11 June 2020 - 12:31 AM

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users